Start by marking “Gandhi” as Want to Read:
Gandhi

Gandhi

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  230 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, known by his followers as Mahatma -- or great soul -- was born in India in 1869 and grew up to become one of the most influential and well-respected political and social leaders the world has ever known. An adamant idealist and a courageous thinker, Gandhi identified himself with the struggles of the common people. He became the sole voice of th ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Gandhi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gandhi

Malika
Jun 27, 2016 Malika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
fun and quick :)
Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-04-08
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an important Indian leader whose leadership in overthrowing British rule became an inspiration for the American Civil Rights movement. This picture-book biography presents the major events of his life with Demi's characteristically beautiful illustrations. For the purpose of nurturing a Christian worldview, this book may be problematic. Gandhi's human greatness was inseparable from his Hindu faith, and the text is infused with a Hindu view of reality, along with qu ...more
Mary
Sep 29, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
This is a well written biography that can be used while teaching students to write biographies or during a unit of monumental figures in history. The illustrations are gorgeous and really help depict what life was like in India for Gandhi. I had never read the true story of Gandhi's life. What a monumental figure. He is one of the most peaceful people. It is strange to imagine a world if everyone were to have lived as he did. I see many comparisons to Martin Luther King Jr. I know Gandhi was one ...more
Cindi
Mar 12, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
We've read some of Demi's books, but plan to read many more. There are some interesting looking titles.

Demi's artwork is always a treat. I loved this book too. Having seen the movie Gandhi several times, I knew what to expect, but it still made me feel emotional. Gandhi was a wonderful man who accomplished much through his nonviolent resistance. We could all learn something from Gandhi. Highly recommend for introducing children to Gandhi.
Beverly
Jun 29, 2017 Beverly rated it liked it
Demi mentions in an author's note that one of the books he kept with him was a Bible. Too bad he didn't take to heart its revelations about the Savior of the world.
Rhayne
Nov 21, 2014 Rhayne rated it it was amazing
Most people know about the civil rights movements here in America. So much so that if you were to show a classroom of students a picture of Martin Luther King that they would be able to identify him within a matter of seconds. Now if you were to show the same classroom of students a picture of Gandhi, some would know who he is but only a handful would know what Gandhi represents. I prior to reading this book only had a vague idea of what Gandhi did for India, and I was always curios to learn mor ...more
528_Laura
Oct 17, 2011 528_Laura rated it it was ok
Gandhi by Demi is a pictorial biography of Gandhi, one of the most influential and respected leaders in the world. The author does a nice job of presenting his life in a very clear and straightforward manner, easily understood by school aged readers. The texts follows him from his early education to the strikes he led and finally to India’s independence and his eventual assassination. The events of Ganhi’s life are thoroughly explained using long and sometimes wordy paragraphs. The power of one’ ...more
Amanda
Dec 21, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
• Summarize the book
This book details Ghandi's life from his birth in 1869 to his death by assassination almost 80 years later. We learn of his marriage at 13, his difficulties in school, extreme shyness and how he attended law school in London. After finishing law school he returned to India and then went to work in South Africa. And from here we see his ideas around social justice, social change and love as the only useful response to hate begin to evolve. We learn of the Great salt March and
Earl
Dec 02, 2016 Earl rated it liked it
I’ve been inspired to read about people who’ve made differences in times of adversity- particularly using nonviolence means but still managing to accomplish something. Of course, I’ve read books about Martin Luther King, Jr. and Nelson Mandela and my favorite book is John Lewis’s March trilogy. I hadn’t really read about Gandhi.

The first two picture books I ended up reading about him were coincidentally about the Salt March incident. A Taste of Freedom: Gandhi and the Great Salt March was told t
Meltha
This is a good, solid biography of Gandhi. I'm not sure it was really written from the perspective of particularly appealing to children, though. There are some nice background details on the mahatma's life, such as his shyness and the fears he had when he was young. However, the illustrations felt rather flat here. While they added to the story, it would have been pretty much as clear without them, so I didn't find them crucial. I also find a typo, of all things. Demi states that Gandhi "lead" ...more
Lindsey
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know much about Gandhi before reading this book. This is about the extent of my knowledge beforehand: Martin Luther King Jr. modeled his non-violent protests after Gandhi's, he was Indian, He was an advocate for peace. Okay, so I didn't know much. Oh well...

I think Demi does a great job including details about Gandhi that children would finding interesting--he wasn't a good student, he married at thirteen, he faced racism throughout his life. Overall, the book ha
Cynthia Jensen
Apr 21, 2011 Cynthia Jensen rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a good telling of the life of Gandhi for children. It is a picture book with pictures that will give you an idea of what Gandhi was like and what he wore and what the country side looks like where ever he is. The story tells his faults and how he overcomes his shyness. I gives children a sense of how one person can overcome weaknesses and make a difference in the community and possibably the whole country where they live.
Shelli
Jul 15, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Demi’s books always offer detailed illustrations that feel like intricately and beautifully woven tapestries. The narrative is easy to follow and perfect for elementary or middle school students studying World History or the Civil Rights Moment. The afterward has further interesting information about Gandhi, his assassination and how others viewed him.
Antonio
Jul 19, 2010 Antonio rated it really liked it
This book provides an overview of the life of Mahatma Gandhi. It is an excellent source for students to learn about a man that has been an inspiration for peaceful demonstrations through out the world. The text can also be used by students as a source to “compare and contrast” the life of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
Benjamin Zapata
Jan 31, 2014 Benjamin Zapata rated it it was amazing
"If you want to see the brave, look at those who can forgive. If you want to see the heroic, look at those who can love in return for hatred." - Mahatma Gandhi(1869-1948) Named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book and received an Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Award, "Gandhi" is an exceptionally handsome biography that serves as an excellent introduction to the life of this amazing man.
Stephanie Smith
My mom read this book to me when I was a kid. Reading it now as a college sophomore (who is much more knowledgeable about India and Indian history) I realize how great a book it is. Well written with a beautiful message. This one I will defiantly keep to read to my own kids one day. A wonderful book about a wonderful man. :3
Jenny
Feb 11, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
This book gave me hope that, even if I'm afraid of things, like Gandhi was afraid of the dark, I can still do great things. Gandhi's story is less well-known than other revolutionaries like MLK and Rosa Parks, but his story is just as important. Simple, wise, and thoughtful, this book is a lot like Gandhi. I love the illustrations and the story is very easy to understand.
Kayla
Feb 04, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
By reading this book I learned a lot about Gandhi that I never knew before. I feel like he is an important man that isn't usually talked about in the school systems. If I could, I would love to share this book with my students. I think it would be important to see how Gandhi impacted India.
Amy
Mar 25, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I think this is a great example of a well-done children's biography. Intriguing/beautiful illustrations and just the right amount of detail to give a good picture of the of the person's life/work. I like the author's note as well.
Jess Brown
Jul 22, 2016 Jess Brown rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book to teach kids about cha do and his passion for peace in the world and accepting others. Definitely pick up this book. I truly think adults and kids would love these books by Demi!
Rebecca
Sep 16, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Interesting bio of the man who inspired non-violent civil disobedience world-wide. Author’s note at end quotes Albert Einstein: “Generations to come, it may be, will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood walked upon the earth.”
Cheryl
Demi's unmistakable touch on the beautiful illustrations and is a good introduction to the life of Gandhi.
Samantha
An informative book about Ghandi's adult life. Personally, the story felt dull to me being that it's about such an important world figure. I did enjoy the artwork.
Carol Mcgloshen
An informative book about Gandhi in a way for young children could understand.
Asia Alexander
Oct 11, 2015 Asia Alexander rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Setting: India
Awards: None
For the Classroom: Culture/ Heritage, Genre/ Non-Fiction, etc.
Mckinley
Apr 12, 2012 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, non-fiction, gov
I would say well done, however, there are many historical inaccuracies.
Hannah
Part of our India exploration ... prompted some good discussion on Gandhi vs. Patrick Henry ,whom we'd read about earlier that day.
Rickey
I liked the overall feel of the book and the illustrations. However, the historical inaccuracies have me rating this far lower than I otherwise would.
Gloria Green
Lovely book by the esteemed illustrator........
Jen
Dec 11, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This book gave me a lot of insight I had never had into Gandhi's life. Demi does a great job with clear text and unique pictures as usual.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
get my lost love back +91-9001354274 1 1 Jun 20, 2014 05:37AM
lost love back by vashikaran+91-9001354274 1 1 Jun 20, 2014 05:36AM
love back vashikaran+91-9001354274 1 1 Jun 20, 2014 05:35AM
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Franklin and Winston: A Christmas That Changed the World (Junior Library Guild Selection (Candlewick Press))
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • The House Baba Built: An Artist's Childhood in China
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People
  • I Could Do That!: Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How a First Lady Changed America
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her fa
More about Demi...