Start by marking “Outdoor Survival Skills” as Want to Read:
Outdoor Survival Skills

Outdoor Survival Skills

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

How to survive in almost any outdoor environment with little or no purchased equipment, relying only on what nature provides.
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 188 pages
Published January 1st 1973 by Brigham Young University Press (first published November 30th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Outdoor Survival Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outdoor Survival Skills

K.S.R.
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers and survivalists
Shelves: outdoor-fun
I just read this book again, or portions of it rather, last year. I've always been a bit of a nature geek, and as a teenager dreamt of living in the wild for a month. I made my own moccasins once, and I still feel as though I haven't quite lived my life's calling because I haven't made squirrel jerky, like this book describes. :) I used to have this book memorized, and one summer, just before my family left the natural park at Goblin Valley in the remote deserts of Utah, I realized I'd better ma ...more
Zora
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've carried this book in my backpack or car or RV since 1980 or so. It has some useful information. I've -- for the heck of it -- learned a few of these skills, like making my own rope with the instructions here (though never to survive, just to learn it), and his explanations are clear enough to follow. Some of the information is outdated--water gathering techniques taught today say that some of what he suggests is too labor intensive for the return in water, and those cool little coins of com ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't a bad book and actually may be one of the more useful ones out there in some ways as it assumes you are stuck in a survival situation with no equipment at all. How do you make fire from scratch...how then do you carry a little smoldering ire with you so that you can be on the move without laboring over a drill and bow again tonight. (I live in hope that if I'm ever there I can use a lens from my glasses or something...a drill and bow is no easy thing.

I have an old copy...but it could
Kim
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Larry Olsen is a wilderness guru!! When it comes to making your way in the great outdoors, he has blazed the trail. This book outlines many of his techniques for living off the land. Brilliant and insightful, I wish I had bought a version that wasn't so outdated. The sepia photos were sometimes difficult to decipher, and the message wasn't always clearly conveyed. Spend the extra cash and get a new and complete edition. It'll be worth it!
Norman
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
I have really enjoyed this book though I'm sure there are some newer ones out there. I think I liked that the author is from Utah and his experiences are from this area. I have read this book many times over, it's worn out and needs to be replaced, and I carry it about every day with me as a back up for reading.
Bo
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful knowledge for anyone. If taken metaphorically the psychological aspects can be applied, with difficulty, to urban survival.

"It's easy to be a holy man on top of a mountain." -The Razor's Edge
Emily
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Larry Olsen was the forerunner of survivalist literature. The man is a primitive skills god. Maybe five stars is a little high......think of it more like four stars with an extra star for Robert Redford writing the foreword.
Lou Cadle
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first how-to survival book; I carried it around as a teen, learned to make cordage, tried to start a fire from scratch, tried to make a bow, dug a solar still and had a great deal of fun with it. It was always in my car. Somehow, I still own it.
William Long
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a teenager. I had lots of woods to play in growing up in New England. Thinking that World War III was imminent, this book and my mail order Rambo knife was to see me through. I'm rereading it now.
Nancy
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative! although i expect tanning an animal hide is slightly more difficult than it seems from the mere 8 pages of instructions offered in this book.
Chris
This is the first survival book my Dad ever gave me, and I am who I am today because of it. Thanks Dad...
Tyson
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book. Larry Olsen is a pioneer of the survivalist movement.
Rahadyan
I first read this about 18 years ago and I periodically re-read it to keep the information fresh in my head. It occupies a permanent place among my survival gear and reference books
Timothy
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...never did manage to make a fire with just sticks. :/
Tanya Jones
Darin Miller
Aug 06, 2015
Mark
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the basics of outdoor survival.
L.F. Falconer
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
  • The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness
  • The Golden Shore: California's Love Affair with the Sea