Start by marking “The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)

The Riverman

(DCI Lorimer #4)

When the dead body of a man is fished out of Glasgow's River Clyde the morning after an office celebration, it looks like a case of accidental death. An anonymous telephone call and a forensic toxicology test, however, give DCI Lorimer reason to think otherwise. Probing deeper into the life and business of the deceased accountant, Duncan Forbes, a seemingly upright member ...more
Published December 6th 2007 by Little, Brown (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Riverman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riverman

Start your review of The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I love it when I start a book in the middle of a series and it's not a problem at all getting into the story and the characters are easy to like. The Riverman starts off interesting with the dead body that's fished out of the water, and after that, we get a prequel to what happened before the man was fished out of the water. The book moves between a lot of different POV's, both the police and people around the dead man. At first, it seems that it's either a suicide or a drunken mistake that made ...more
Dianne
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Glasgow’s River Clyde gives up a dead body, a probable accidental death, but for DCI William Lorimer, that probability is tossed out the window when forensics and an anonymous call point to something far more sinister.

The victim was an accountant, his company a powerful international firm. Was the company in financial trouble? Is that why this man was found floating in the cold river? What secrets will Lorimer uncover? How many deaths, lies and secrets will be uncovered that are related to this global firm?

Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
Wow! This story had so many twists and turns that I was struggling to keep up with all the possible suspects, their motives, and the reasons for killing each victim. A really good hard boiled mystery!
Kara Lauren
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was first posted here: http://karatheredhead.blogspot.com/20...

The Riverman was amazing. Alex Gray is one of the most descriptive authors I have come across. I felt like I was walking the streets of Glasgow, Scotland. At first, I didn't know how I was going to keep up with so many characters, but all of the characters weaved together perfectly. No one was left out, and every turn the story took, was explained. It wasn't like at the end of some movies where you are left questioning what happened to so and so or why did th
LadyTechie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Riverman was a very detailed mystery/thriller. I received a copy in exchange for an honest review from the publisher (Frontlist/Harper Collins) via Edelweiss. As soon as I read the description I knew it would be a book that I enjoy spending time reading. I was worried that I did not know it was the fourth book in a series but, I jumped right in and still found the characters engaging. A reader cannot help but love a good mystery that starts with a body in the first pages. You are hooked beca ...more
Sandie
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective-series
When Duncan Forbe's body is pulled from the River Clyde in Glasgow, DCI William Latimer is called in to investigate. Forbes had been at a going away party for another member of his accounting firm and everyone's first thought was that he had overindulged and fallen in. But when drugs are found in his system, it becomes clear that this was no accident.

As Lorimer and his team interrogate the other members of the firm, they pick up an uneasiness and reluctance to talk. When the man the
Nicky Mottram
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Was an ok read but not the best book in the series
Joan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great novel to read during these dark winter evenings. The plot is complex yet engaging. I enjoyed how the facts of the case were uncovered bit by bit. It took dogged determination on Lorimer's part to get to the root of the mayhem. The police work is methodical but kept my interest throughout the novel. I felt the ruminations of the characters were well balanced with periodic action. The point of view jumped around a bit at the beginning but the threads were brought together as the no ...more
Wendy Jakob
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, crime-fiction
Another in the DCI Lorimer Detective series by Alex Gray. This case starts with the death of a bookmaker and continues with a death and a disappearance from his firm of accountants.

Another death follows and DCI Lorimer must work out the connections between the events and who is behind them. Centred around the river Clyde, two of the bodies are pulled out of the Clyde by the Riverman, the man called when anyone needs rescuing or retrieving from the river. One death is initially believ
Jo Woolnough
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the plot for this book and like that it’s based in Scotland - the main detective comes across as firm but fair and keeps the readers firmly on his side.

The plot for this one really shows how human greed really can cause people to go to extremes - as for the murders you will be guessing for most of the book - very good.
Gary Van Cott
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was not to my taste at all. The beginning section takes place in a firm of accountants. I found this portion of the book very confusing. It wasn't until I was about 90 percent through the book that the mystery begins (finally!) to unravel. My preference is to have mysteries told from the perspective of the detectives which is far from the case here.
Suzanne
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DCI William Lorimer works the streets of Glasgow in a hard hitting Series. With his now friend, and profiler, Solomon Brightman, they try to solve the grizzly murders found in the Scottish city .. Really strong characterisation and the storylines are all different and well paced. The personal lives of these two men are also really well developed, and their continuum comes across as 'thought out' and not just as an afterthought. Only a few more and I'll be up to date on the whole Series.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book by Alex Gray just didn't do it for me. Set in the world of accountants is probably what made it an unengaging prospect. I usually enjoy the books in this series and I'm a fan of DCI Lorimer.
Arthur Okun
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A conventional company----an accounting corporation-----very staid partners-
and some are murderers and some are killed and some try to escape.
But,DCI William Lorimer interviewed the suspects,searched for clues, and those who stolen,and killed
met justice.
Lindsey
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the reading the river man. It was easy enough to follow without being over complicated. The characters were believable and easy to see in your mind. The story was well written and I looked forward to picking up my book whenever I got the chance.
Glenis Inglesby Du Toit
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, clean cut and exciting
Neil
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good Yarn
Dawn
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. At times there were lots of characters to keep up with & had to keep checking who was who but a good read nonetheless!
Laurie Way
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new series for me! I think I will really enjoy it!
Judie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the way the book was written - not Alex Gray's usual style of writing. Will try the next one as this is my fisrts disappointment with the Lorimer series.
Sherry Partington
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable!! Definitely will read more.
Fionna Cairney
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant Lorimer mystery filled with intrigue
Jane
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!

This is the third Alex Gray I have read and they are absolutely the Best! Can’t wait to read all of them.
Tom Ferguson
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book pretty laboured. Sheer stubbornness for not wanting to leave a book unfinished is the only reason I got to the end of it. Disappointing.
Jon
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So apparently Harper Voyager decided to gamble on a book that's been previously published, as this one looks to have originally come out almost a decade ago via Little, Brown and another publisher called Sphere. I'm glad that they did, as I received an eARC of this novel a few weeks ago in return for an honest review. (Who has two thumbs and is a Harper Voyager Super Reader? Well, quite a few people actually, but I'm one of them.) ;)

Anyhow, this book starts off a bit chaotic and by t
Linda Morelli
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love International crime novels and thought I’d try this mystery set in Scotland a try. I’m so glad I did. The story slowly introduces the characters who play important roles in the mystery, and it’s the characters that kept me hooked. The underlying tension between the various personalities and their relationships took precedence over the actual crimes, adding a unique twist and dimension to the story for me. I especially loved the character Soloman Brightman, a psychologist and profiler, who ...more
Michelle
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-crime
What I immediately noticed upon beginning to read this book is the atmospheric bent that Alex Gray creates with her imagery on the page. I have never been to Scotland, it is on my bucket list, but I really felt like I could see and feel the biting cold of the water in the Clyde. The unerring strength of our Riverman as he goes out to pull what he believes to be a suicide from the river, carefully rolling it into the boat. I could feel the dampness and the chill of a Glasgow winter.

Th
Nigel Bird
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Riverman is an old guy who is charged with the responsibility of fishing out the bodies from Glasgow’s Clyde. You might not think there’d be much for him to do, but when a serious problem is discovered in a major accountancy firm he becomes a very busy man.
There’s a lot to like about this book and there a few things that counted against it for me.
Essentially the plot is interesting and the characters are all well sketched out. There’s an element of suspense under the surface and
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Originally posted on lampshadereader.com

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book via the publisher and Edelweiss.

The Riverman by Alex Gray brought all the mystery that one can hope for. His character interactions are what to look out for as the story progresses.

Although the dialogue is very detailed, at times the story seemed like it dragged on forever. I have not read a police procedural before and I can say now, that it’s probably not my favorite style. I love murder mysteries, but this one brought more of a character story th
Lori
Thanks to Harper Collins and Edelweiss - AboveTheTreeline for the free ARC Kindle e-book.

The Riverman: A DCI Lorimer Novel by Alex Gray is a big fat juicy read. I have read several other of the DCI William Lorimer novels and enjoyed each one.

The writing is good. Most of the characters are well develo

• Dead Men's Bones (Inspector McLean, #4)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • Skinner's Rules (Bob Skinner, #1)
  • The Innocent and the Dead: gripping Scottish crime fiction (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Song of the Dead (DI Westphall #1)
  • The Damage Done (Inspector McLean, #6)
  • The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
  • The Rat Stone Serenade (DCI Daley, #4)
  • Whisky from Small Glasses (DCI Daley, #1)
  • Written in Bones (Inspector McLean, #7)
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • St. Benet's (DI Tanner #2)
  • Moorings (DI Tanner #3)
Alex Gray was born and educated in Glasgow. She worked as a folk singer, a visiting officer in the DSS and an English teacher. She has been awarded the Scottish Association of Writers Constable and Pitlochry trophies for her crime writing.

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (DCI Lorimer, #1)
  • A Small Weeping (DCI Lorimer, #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • The Bird that did not Sing (Lorimer #11)