Start by marking “George Eliot: Middlemarch, Silas Marner, Amos Barton (Great Classic Library)” as Want to Read:
George Eliot: Middlemarch, Silas Marner, Amos Barton (Great Classic Library)

George Eliot: Middlemarch, Silas Marner, Amos Barton (Great Classic Library)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  703 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Three masterpieces from one of the Victorian era’s most celebrated feminist novelists. Middlemarch, Eliot’s most famous work, paints a rich and complex portrait of English society. In Silas Marner, an embittered man retreats from the outside world, thinking only of work and money. Then his wealth is stolen, and a young foundling comes into his life and changes everything.
Published November 1994 by Great Classic Library

To ask other readers questions about George Eliot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Eliot

Eileen Mulshine
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me about 200 pages to really get into and then it was great right to the end.
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, english-lit
I read this for the first time last year (having vowed never to read another George Eliot novel after slogging through The Mill on the Floss, which is easily one of the worst books I've ever read). However, Middlemarch is compelling, poignant, and beautifully written. The characters are drawn with dimension and compassion. I found myself arguing with them as I was reading. One of my favorites!
JJ
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first George Eliot, and I was surprised by the depth of her talent.

I've read the Bronte and Austin novels and enjoyed them all, but Eliot stands above them as a writer. Her narration of the story is revelatory of her characters and human nature in general.

Great story, great insight, and great writing. I now consider her the best novelist of her era.
Barbara
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Middlemarch is the best book I've ever read. Boom. That's it. I don't know what I was expecting from George Eliot, but I was unprepared. And the ending came at a time when I was needing some particular validation about the importance of my role as mother. If you like Austen or Dickens and haven't gone as far as Eliot, go there, she's amazing!
Dr.J.G.
Middlemarch:-

.........................................

Silas Marner:-

The story of two men, and a little girl, and rectitude and values, ethics and right choices, loss and redemption, love and caring and the joy they bring to life.

The wealthy young man married in what moment of temptation is left unsaid, but he did wish to not only keep his family hidden for fear of his society, he was in love with a good young woman, and did not wish to lose her. When the wife turned up in the village and was
Cristal
a long a$$ read, quite good
Alyssa
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I dropped it.
Kereesa
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Austen and Dickens
Recommended to Kereesa by: Dr. McKim ?
As my edition is an omnibus of three novels, I'll be writing reviews for each of them separately and using this space as my opinion on the omnibus as whole-similar to how I read my Darkest Powers Trilogy omnibus.

I'll be doing it this way for two reasons:

1-I like having separate reviews as it helps me keep my thoughts in order and I can look back and see which books I liked better instead of trying to figure out how I averaged them out, etc. Its a better visual aid than having to look through my
Demimajerrie
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who is anybody!
Recommended to Demimajerrie by: nobody - I own a copy, and read it on my own accord. I would no
Shelly
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I focused my summer on reading the novel Middlemarch, and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved reading this book.

I think what sets this Victorian novel apart from others I have read, is this is the most believable and gives a modern reader a taste of what life was life during this time. Not to mention the intertwining stories and various points of view.

I also found it interesting how diluted all of these characters seemed -- Rosamond truly believed she was innocent, Lydgate thought he loved Ro
  • Ode on a Grecian Urn and Other Poems
  • Wuthering Heights, Agnès Grey & Villette
  • Love All
  • Lady with Lapdog and Other Stories
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • The Collected Fiction, Vol. 2: The House on the Borderland and Other Mysterious Places
  • Gender
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • Towards Another Summer
  • Main Street / Babbitt
  • A Critical Introduction to Queer Theory
  • Guests of War Trilogy: The Sky is Falling / Looking at the Moon / The Lights Go On Again
  • The Last of the Plainsmen
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...