Start by marking “Huntress” as Want to Read:
Huntress

Huntress

All her life, the young lioness Leya has dreamed of becoming one of the karanja, the proud huntresses of her people. But there's more to being karanja than just learning to throw a spear. Life among their tents means giving up family, safety—even love. How much is Leya willing to sacrifice for a place in the sisterhood? Does she truly have the heart of a huntress?

Author Re
Published September 2015 by FurPlanet Productions

To ask other readers questions about Huntress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Huntress

Altivo Overo
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: furry fans, fantasy readers
This book is as beautiful as a poem, or a centuries old tale passed down in oral tradition. The author has drawn on the style and language of various African traditions but built a whole new fabric of them. We hear the life stories of two young women, one a lion and the other a painted dog. Each has a traditional life path or what we would call a "career" to fulfill, and those paths are rigidly limited by the customs of their people. Each eventually reaches a crossroad, a point at which she must ...more
Alice
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: furry
I first encountered Huntress in the anthology Five Fortunes. I felt it was easily the strongest story of the five, and I'm delighted it has been given a chance to shine alongside three new stories set in the same world.

The world is a fantasy Africa populated by anthropomorphic predators and, conveniently, non-anthropomorphic prey species. In the title tale, young lioness Leya escapes the traditional expectations of her people - a husband, cubs - to join an elite cast of female hunters, only to
J.F.R. Coates
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really well-written book, with a detailed and interesting world created around the stories within. I found myself enjoying the three short stories at the end better than the main piece though, possibly because the shortness of them meant a tighter, more focused telling.
Carol
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this cover years ago in Seattle but didn't buy the book at the time. I ended up buying it online via eBook and haven't regretted it! It is well written and the world building was very well done. The characters had depth to them. The progression of events were believable and I found myself wanting more.
There were a few editing errors but overall, it is worth a read.
Ben Levans
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was an amazing book :3 had me on an emotional rollercoaster.
Skye Lansing
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropomorphic
This book was a rare, interesting experience for me. Very quickly after I began reading I realized that this wasn't something that was written for me, however this is one of the few times I can say that didn't matter one bit. The story is well-written enough that it carried me through easily. At it's core, Huntress is a coming-of-age story—one I found deeply engaging despite that not normally being my thing and which has only grown on me in the time since I first finished the book.

I could point
Karen Granovsky
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars.

I've always loved anthropomorphic animal fantasy, so when I found this book I was instantly drawn in (the cover floored me, especially for an indie). I don't regret it - Huntress was amazing.

Note: this review is only regarding Huntress, not the short stories that are included in the ebook. I haven't read those yet, but I most certainly will when I get a minute.

Huntress tells the story of Leya, a young lioness who wants nothing more than to join the karanja, proud huntresses who bring mea
Malcolm F. Cross
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: furry
A novella and collected short stories, brought to you by the author’s love of Africa. The titular novella, Huntress, is a charming coming of age story set in her fantasy-Africa. Leya’s a lioness with a dream, but she finds out her dream of what she wanted to be — one of the Karanja, an amazonian order of huntresses who prowl the savannah in search of ‘heavy meat’, large and dangerous game animals. Common lions are prohibited from hunting heavy meat both for practical reasons, such as safety, and ...more
Amber
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully written book and a well imagined world. The stories in this book are set in a fantasy version of Africa with anthropomorphic predators. In the first story we follow the young lioness Leya as she pursues her dream and the life she's always wanted. But what she imagined is a lot different from the reality she is now faced with.

Leya's journey into adulthood and self discovery was excellent and the world building here is well thought out and convincing.

There are also other s
Aryot
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was really amazing!! It brought both happy and sad tears to my eyes.
Donald
Asteropê
Todd Rumsey
Dianne
Furries!: Now available - Huntress (furry fantasy) 1 8 Sep 18, 2015 04:31AM
Anthro Fiction: Huntress - now available - furry/anthro fantasy 1 9 Sep 18, 2015 03:56AM
  • God of Clay
  • Song of the Summer King (The Summer King Chronicles, #1)
  • Out of Position (Out of Position, #1)
  • Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1)
  • Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers, #1)
  • Stalking the Beast
  • Villains Victorious
  • Modern Magic: Tales of Fantasy and Horror
  • The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham (Forgotten Realms: The Best of the Realms, #3)
  • Night of Long Shadows (Eberron: Inquisitives, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Dark Magic
  • The Latte Segment
  • Wind Follower
  • Untitled (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Sea Devil's Eye (Forgotten Realms: The Threat from the Sea, #3)
  • The Giant Under the Snow
  • The Kobold Wizard's Dildo of Enlightenment +2 (an Adventure for 3-6 Players, Levels 2-5
  • Game Night
Renee Carter Hall writes fantasy and science fiction for adults who never quite grew up, with occasional excursions into dark fantasy, poetry, and stories for children and teens. Talking animals slip into her stories whenever they get a chance, and her work has been influenced by storytellers from a range of media, including Steven Spielberg, Ray Bradbury, and Jim Henson. Her most recent book, the ...more
“Second. If any male ever tries to force you--or if he does--they’re no more to you than the zebra or the kudu or the pigs. Kill him. If you can’t kill him, tell us who he is, and we will. No man touches a karanja except by her will, or he dies. That goes for rainspeakers and aumahs and Yaa himself.” Thembe’s eyes were bright flames.” 0 likes