Start by marking “On This Earth: Photographs from East Africa” as Want to Read:
On This Earth: Photographs from East Africa

On This Earth: Photographs from East Africa (Nick Brandt Trilogy #1)

Nick Brandt depicts the animals of East Africa with an intimacy and artistry unmatched by other photographers who choose wildlife as their subject. He creates these majestic sepia and blue-tone photoscontrasting moments of quintessential stillness with bursts of dramatic actionby engaging with these creatures on an exceptionally intimate level, without the customary use of ...more
Published September 29th 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about On This Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On This Earth

R K
This was a fabulous collection of photographs by Nick Brandt.

The Savannah is a place that I have always been drawn too. From books about the various flora and fauna, to documentaries on wildlife to the BBC's Big Cat Diary, to following photographers Simon King and Jonathan Scott. My attention and attraction to wildlife, to the animals of Africa has been the one thing that has always stuck by in since I was young. So naturally, I was drawn to photographs of this heaven on Earth.

Flipping through t
Winter Sophia Rose
May 13, 2016 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking, Stunning, Inspiring, Warm, Gripping & Remarkable! A Strikingly Beautiful Read! I Loved It!
Iowill
Jun 25, 2009 Iowill rated it it was amazing
Incredible, breath-taking, stunning...ok, so now I'm just tossing the clichés as quickly as I can and all of them stick.

Wildlife photography is riddled with cliché and should provoke questions about process, access (how gained, the unintentional and intention consequences of publication, at what costs, etc.), and 'voice' being afforded its subjects.

Brandt's work is exceptional on a couple of technical points...he does not use long telephoto lenses to compress, 'reach' or create intimacy with h
Mar 13, 2017 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, photography, art, 2017
All of these without a telephoto lens? Amazing!
Tina
Feb 25, 2017 Tina rated it liked it
HUGE BOOK!
Bobby
Aug 14, 2014 Bobby rated it it was amazing
In a sense, it seems kind of funny to be claiming here that I've "read" On This Earth by Nick Brandt. But then again, for me, a Nick Brandt book is unlike any other work of photography that I've encountered. Brandt is aiming for, and frequently gets, a photo of the soul of the animals he's photographing. Frequently with his photos you get a sense that the elephant or chimpanzee - or whoever the subject is - is a being of great emotional sophistication. Thanks to Brandt's effort to get portraits ...more
Joy
Jul 06, 2011 Joy added it
Here's the thing...I went to Africa, saw these beforehand, was so inspired that I wanted to something similar, but I had some of the same guides he did apparently and he doesn't sound like a nice person and I'm putting it diplomatically. Can't we get the pictures we want or paint the way we must without harming others who help us?
George
May 30, 2011 George rated it it was amazing
This coffee table book offers some magisterial photographs of East African wildlife, including elephants, lions, and cheetahs. Some of the photographs are are sepia-toned and others are "blue-toned" which add to their dramatic effect. Brandt offers a very evocative portrait of the large animals of East Africa. This is a quality production from beginning to end. Well worth perusing.
Roxanne
Dec 07, 2015 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite type of book, a book of photographs. THis book had amazing pictures of all the animals of Africa; the Cheetas, elephants, monkeys, giraffes to name a few. This is visually stunning book.
Stephanie
Jul 17, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, photography
Nick Brandt's photographic style is true art. He doesn't use camera tricks or Photoshop, instead he uses patience, trust & hard-work to produce the quality of photography printed on these pages. He will transport you to Africa on the first page & you won't want to leave by the last page.
Katy
Jul 05, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful photography collection that i have seen in a long time, each one is so emotive you really feel what Brandt was trying to do! I wish i could say more but this was a book i baught for a friend and now i wish i had my own copy its just to stunning for words!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Beautiful photographs!!
Beth
May 22, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous photography! This book is one to own for your personal collection.
Delight
Feb 27, 2008 Delight rated it it was amazing
These pics, taken w/o a zoom lens, are amazing.
Steve M
Aug 05, 2008 Steve M rated it it was amazing
Incredible photographs, simply incredible. If you have even the slightest interest in photography, africa or animals then this is a worthy purchase.
Margarite Baltruweit
Elissa Hartono
Elissa Hartono rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Gus
Gus rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Jenna Li
Jenna Li rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Christina Marie
Christina Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Lloyd Burkley
Lloyd Burkley rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Cyrus
Cyrus rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
₵oincidental   Ðandy
₵oincidental Ðandy rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Harriet
Harriet rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Mari
Mari rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Elisa
Elisa rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • Eye to Eye
  • Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Diane Arbus: Revelations
  • Pippa's Challenge

Nick Brandt Trilogy (4 books)
  • A Shadow Falls