Start by marking “The Starthorn Tree” as Want to Read:
The Starthorn Tree

The Starthorn Tree

(The Starkin Crown #1)

A thrilling fantasy adventure for younger readers. With the young King of Estelliana mysteriously ill, the kingdom is placed under the harsh rule of a starkin regent, Lord Zavion. One day a hearthkin boy, Durrik, has a vision telling him that the regent is planning to kill the new king and take over Estelliana, and that he must go on a quest to find a cure for the King and ...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by Walker & Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Starthorn Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starthorn Tree

Maryanne
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy

4 1/2 Stars.

This book is full of wonderful and surprising characters, intriguingly named fantasy creatures, and Kate Forsyth's familiar themes of finding friends in least-expected places and revealing undiscovered strengths and talents through dangers and challenges faced.

The story races along with suspense, action, emotion, danger and cliff-hanging excitement.

The baddies are satisfyingly bad, a prince needs rescuing by a princess, in a more modern twist on the fable and sacrifices must be mad
Jhenne
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has to be my favourite book of all time. It was beautifuly written and the storyline was exquisite! The characters had growth and their own little stories. I loved the adventure's they went on during the main 'adventure'. I loved the quest that the interesting and unique band of friends went on. I liked the tiny pinch of romance. I loved the world it was set in. And I truly long to see a Starthorn Tree!
Nicua
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cute book. A little below my normal level, more for young adults, but still a charming book that I really enjoyed. Relatable characters, interesting storyline and a few unexpected twists. This together with the adorable cover and horse-character made this book a keeper for my library.
Karen Field
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Starthorn Tree by Kate Forsyth, I found, was difficult to get into because of the dialogue of the characters. It slowed the story down and I found it distracting. But once I got used to the way they spoke and the strange names of the creatures, the story picked up and improved from there.

The story is a classic quest. Five children (aged around 12 to 15 years of age) from different backgrounds, ranging from princess to thief, are brought together for a common cause; although some characters a
Jill Smith
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kate has created an intricate magical world Estelliana where Pedrin a mere goat herder hearthkin, lives with his mother and sister. His best friend Durrik is a cripple with poor health who finds Pedrin a true friend happily, ignoring his frail physical condition, bringing him into the world of fishing, running and climbing. Neither boy has any idea how much of an adventure they are about to undertake.

The starkin rule the world that is in peril. The starkin count is trapped in a cursed sleep, if
Flabnbone
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good read.
It had everything a good fantasy book should have : Magic, monsters, adventures, destiny, a prophecy etc...Though it would have been good if there were also sword fighting scenes and stuff <3
The ending was expected but could have been more conclusive rather rather just ending with a quick conversation.
I have read its sequel and cannot wait for book 3: The Starkin Crown
Kate Bolton
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spellbinding tale of a magical land in which many and varied kinds of people and creatures live, many in disharmony. Trouble is near and five children and an old man, all from different backgrounds, must solve the riddles and overcome their predjudices against each other to save the kingdom.

The characters, the setting, the plot and the magic all combine to make a fantastic story of understanding, tolerance, courage and friendship.
Emily
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Adored this book. It was like stepping into an adventure and being with the characters, up to the very last chapters you are up to your neck in suspense and when you finish you have to take a minute to think it all over. A wonderful plot that was unpredictable and took twists and turns all the time. I hope that HEAPS of people read this wonderful book and enjoy it as much as I did. Well done Kate Forsyth!
Charli
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
LOVED this book since I first read it , many christmases ago. Although it is a fairytale full of hobhenkies and grogoyles, the way Forsyth writes is believable! Everytime I read it, even now, I feel like I am discovering the characters and the world of Estelliana all over again. And falling in love again!
I also DID NOT know it was a trilogy! I must now go find the rest of the stories!!!
Bridget
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone ever
I adore this book so incredibly much. I read it first when I was eleven, and it spellbound me. I was totally sucked into Estelliana and got through the story in about a day.

Five years later, it's still one of my favourites. There's something about the characters that is so real and wonderful to me, and the way Forsyth builds their friendships is probably one of my favourite things about this book. It's believable, especially as they come to grips with their own prejudices and learn to accept eac
Maryana
Nov 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Characters - 4 (the characters were unconventional and their relationships came across as natural and convincing, they were the high point of the book)
Plot - 3 (a slightly predictable quest with elements of fairy tale)
Themes - 3 (The importance of being active in thinking about and helping others, not judging others and the importance of friendship. Good themes and lessons but I feel as though they could have been more explored.)
Language - 3 (appropriate to the setting)
Sequels? - this is the f
Annie
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again life is such a distraction so I am excited to have finally finished this book!! Friend and author Kate Forsyth enchants us again!! I found to enjoy this, you really need to concentrate to follow the dialogue between the characters and the detail that went into creating the world of Estelliana, character development and how the misfits come together to embark on a wild adventure to stop an evil prophecy.. Great story!!
Zac
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it was amazing no other words except Kate Forsyth is an amazing writer that once I started reading I couldn't stop reading, overall an amazing book and series I loved the series as much as the firs book.
Katie
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens and young adults
after reading such long, and heavy fantasy novels this story was a refreshing change. it had new story lines, and real characters and a totally different concept. kate also has a really great way of writing.
Yashodha
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book from my childhood which I’ve never been able to forget. I’ve reread this multiple times and I absolutely love the characters (even the stuck-up, annoying ones) and the storyline. Was quite shocked to discover that this is part of a trilogy, since the story ended so well in The Starthorn Tree. However, I’ll definitely be on the lookout for Book 2 and 3!
Ian Banks
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kid's fantasy adventure that assumes that kids appreciate a touch of realism and grit amongst the requisite whimsy. Bog-standard fantasyland and quest made appealing by a real sense of history and culture and well-drawn characters. Great fun, although a little predictable and heavy on exposition.
JessicaGrace
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favourite book of all time
Eibhleann (Jodie) Gardiner
I'm the kind of person who doesn't knock it till I've tried it and honestly I didn't think I would like this book at all. Even though it was by one of my best friends favorite authors (when we met her my friend went all fan girl on us and the author recommended I read this book if I was interested in trying the genre). Tell the truth, fantasy writing is not my thing and I'm not a huge sci-fi fan either they always seemed a little lame and nerdy is I dare say it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying ...more
Ju Transcendancing
I fell into this book and didn’t surface again until I’d read all three in the series. I loved the characters, loved the world building and the story that they told together. I was especially charmed by the goats in this book, I thought they were absolutely adorable and I loved that they too got to be heroes. Adventure, magic, mystery, fighting against the odds, friendship, a kingdom in peril, hints of romance – this book has them all. It’s clear this book is setting up a series, but it’s also s ...more
Emily Craven
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant start to a wonderful trilogy. A quick disclaimer, I accidentally read this series out of order, the second before the first. So reading through this book held extra delight for me as I got to see first hand how the parents of the characters in the second book meet. There's a wonderful mix of very human characters in this book, all with likeable and unlikeable traits that draw you in and ender then to you (no matter how annoying they can be sometimes!). The characters have a lot of fl ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Elizabeth Kosutar
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good book
Hannah Vardy
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! Kate Forsyth captures the adventures and emotions of the characters so perfectly, with a brilliant story line to compliment as well. A wonderful read!
Nicole Kingdon
Lucy Slater
Sep 16, 2015
Jess
Jul 14, 2009

• The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost, #1)
  • The Book of Days
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
  • In the Path of the Storm
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • The Ruby Talisman
  • Book of Dreams
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the internationally bestselling author of 40 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'Beauty in Thorns', the true love story behind a famous painting of 'Sleeping Beauty'; 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler i

The Starkin Crown (3 books)
  • The Wildkin's Curse