Start by marking “Cuts Like a Knife (Kristen Conner Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Cuts Like a Knife (Kristen Conner Mystery #1)

Cuts Like a Knife

(Kristen Conner Mystery #1)

Someone new has moved to town . . . and that means murder.

Chicago has new resident, a heartless killer with a long and bloody history. When a successful young woman is found dead in her fashionable town home, a red flag lights up FBI computers in Washington, D.C. The Feds know an elusive “organized killer” is at work again. The problem is they have only one tenuous lead to
Published August 4th 2015 by Mark Gilroy Creative LLC (first published October 23rd 2012)

Donna
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my first book by this author. This was a christian fiction mystery. Overall I liked this. The mystery was entertaining. It felt a little light, but it still worked. The one thing that makes this three stars and not four is that some of the dialogue for a few of the different characters was kind of cheesy. It just made me groan a little. I have the second novel in this series and am ready to give it a go as well.

I liked the MC. She was funny. She also had her flaws, but I had a hard tim
Joanne
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed 'Cuts Like a Knife'. It is an exciting book that kept me entertained throughout. It is very well written, and although the book is about a serial killer it is done in such a way that I didn't find it harrowing. I liked the fact that the lead character had her own problems to work through which made the story more realistic. Although the book is Christian-based it reads like real life and is not preachy. There were threads left suggesting that the series will continue where this ...more
Christine
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Great mystery, great characters, and addictive read. I loved this mystery novel, and definitely recommend it for fans of the genre (especially fans of Nancy Drew). Kristen Conner is a bold, funny, and intelligent character. Her detective skills are impressive at every turn. I was hooked on this book and I couldn’t put it down. I had already read the second book in the series, so I knew who the murderer was...but if I hadn't then I would not have seen it coming at the end!!! I can’t wait to conti ...more
Nicole
Jan 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, murder, mystery
Cuts Like a Knife was a fairly quick read for just over 400 pages, but I just didn't ever really feel all that engaged with the characters or the story. This is an issue I seem to have a lot with books that fall into the Christian fiction genre. I don't know if it's too much trying to keep things PG, but yet again, there is an edge that is lacking.

My biggest problem with the story was the lead character. Kristen is, to be completely honest, annoying. She is angry and judgmental and not particul
C.J. Darlington
I loved this book! There. I've said it. I'm a huge fan of character driven suspense novels, and there just aren't enough of them in the CBA. Kristin, the main character, is a real person who struggles with faith like all of us. She's strong (but not to a fault), funny, and a darn good detective. Mark Gilroy is an author to watch. He's written believably and honestly about a serial killer without dragging readers through every horrible cut of the knife. Crime scenes are described, yet leave enoug ...more
PopcornReads
I may not be a woman who can literally kick butt but I certainly love to read about women who can. So when I read the publisher’s short description for Cuts Like a Knife, Book #1 in a new detective mystery series by publishing veteran Mark K. Gilroy, I knew it was probably going to be my kind of novel. After reading it, I was shocked to learn it was a debut novel. Gilroy’s writing feels effortless, as if he had been doing this for decades. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p ...more
Teresa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. Kept me guessing. I thought I had it figured out early on. I was WRONG! Kristen made me laugh because she said the same things that many of us feel.
This was a story about a regular person who is a Christian living out her life with real problems and how she deals with them. Just like us.
Can't wait until the new book comes out in October(?)!

I recommend reading this book.
Amy
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Debut Inspirational -- A little slow to start, but then the action really takes off. This story reads like a thriller and is light on the religious aspect.
Fiction Aficionado
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whew! What a great read! It took me a couple of chapters to get into the first person, present tense point of view for the main character, but once I did this was one of those books that constantly called to me, asking to be picked up so I could read ‘just a few more chapters’. I’m tempted to say it was an intense read, but I think that’s just the lingering effects of the last quarter of the book! The rest of the book wasn’t so much intense as it was compelling.

The story intermingled Kristen’s
Iola
The opening chapter of Cuts Like a Knife is narrated by a psychopath planning his next event, and is spine-chillingly outstanding. The main narrator is Kristen, and her point of view is interspersed with short chapters from the murderer and from a online vlogger.

Kristen is a Chicago Police Department detective, soccer coach for her niece’s team, and almost-ex girlfriend of Dell (it would be a lot easier to become the ex if Mom didn’t keep inviting him home for dinner). She’s just been appointed
Lisa Johnson
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Cuts Like a Knife (A Kristen Conner Mystery #1)
Author: M. K. Gilroy
Pages: 410
Year: 2012
Publisher: Worthy Publishing
Kristen Conner has anger issues; just ask her family and friends! She is a detective with the Chicago Police Department, lives alone and goes to church. Now, she has been assigned a new case. There has been a grisly murder of a woman by means of a knife. The manner of the murder has alerted the FBI, which then sends a task force to work in conjunction with the Chicago Police
Gail Welborn
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
***From a 30-year veteran of the publishing industry, his debut suspense is not one to miss***

M.K. Gilroy, 30-year veteran of the publishing industry, uses years of experience and writing skill to craft this accomplished debut suspense—Cuts like a Knife. There he draws readers into a tale of mystery, romance and intrigue with a dash of humor rarely seen in introductory books; his well-done characterizations served up with fast-moving schemes that keep readers involved.

Readers first meet Chicago
Nicole
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Kristen Conner, the newest detective with the Chicago PD, is after a ruthless serial killer dubbed The Cutter Shark. The killer targets young women with successful careers.

Kristen is a tough girl, she grew up in a cop's home and takes intense hand-to-hand combat training.

Faith and family are important to Kristen. She coaches her 7-year old niece Kendra's soccer team, The Snowflakes, she always shows up to family dinners, and almost never misses church.

But things get crazy when she's a
yoksan
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley.

I think it would be fair to state that:

1) I dislike first person POV in my books, so this review would probably be a bit bias...okay, make that a lot bias.

2) it was converted from PDF to Kindle file, so the format and stuffs might not come out as intended, which should be noted because this book seemed to be told entirely in first person POV, and the POV shifts might not be very distinct after the conversion

Now, on with the review...

(Since the pri
Glenajo
Full of Tension!

Kristen Conner, the newest detective on the force, does not know that a new serial killer in town focuses on her. Attempting to live up to her father’s reputation at the police department, Kristen pushes herself to go the distance, with her family, in the department, and during self-defense training, but not at personal relationships. The FBI lists AA meetings as a place where the killer met some of his victims, so Kristen begins attending, meeting some others there that help her
Nancy
Detective Krtisten Conner of the Chicago Police is hot on the trail of a serial killer known as the Cutter Shark, who's been targeting young women with successful careers. Either helped or hindered by her firey temper (depending on how you look at it), she is determined to bring the killer to justice despite interference from her mother, two sisters, and a guy she just met at her church who just does not seem to take no for an answer.

A fast-moving read with feisty Kristen very believeable. Is is
IrenesBookReviews
This story takes place in Chicago and centers on the main character of Detective Kristen Conner. The action in this book was excellent. I liked how the main characters interacted with each other. I really enjoyed the conversations throughout the story and felt they all fit in and helped move the story along. The story itself was well written and I liked the mystery and conflict that the story contained.

I gave this book 5/5 stars and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good action filled mys
Skip
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
3.75 stars. Kristen Conner is a Chicago PD detective, when a serial killer starts carving up professional woman in their homes. Then the FBI comes to town because he has done this in many other cities, and left no meaningful clues. Pressure mounts, exacerbated by a video blogger who hates the mayor. Gilroy does a decent job with cloaking the identity of the killer, even when Kristen herself becomes a target.
Bethany
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and look forward to reading more of this authors books in the future.
I thought the dialogue was witty and interesting and I really enjoyed the main character because she was feisty,spunky and had problems to boot so you could relate to her.
I appreciated the mystery/thriller aspect of it because it was not creepy,even though it is about a serial killer which is usually a huge turn off for me.
I highly recommend this book.
Misty
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I thought I had this book figured out right from the start but then I was completely surprised! I love it when a book can do that! It was a slow go at first, but once I got into, I could not put it down! This book highlighted the best of society and life and the worst as well by the contrast of the main character and her family and then with journal of the "Cutter Shark". I would highly recommend this for a suspenseful good read!
Lois
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Cuts Like a Knife two weeks ago and I'm still thinking about the characters, the plot, the suspense. And I've even read a couple of books since then! Very eager to get my hands on the sequel and read what Kristen's up against now. Great book!
Lourdes Montes
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cuts Like a Knife" is a great thriller it kept me guessing all the way through. I found I couldn't put it down. I liked this book and highly recommend it! I'm looking forward to more stories by M. K. Gilroy.
Rebecca Harrison
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I enjoyed the character of the police woman. The author threw in a second love interest but didn't develop it may be part of a new story that was hinted at in the end. I will recommend it to customers.
Marla Madison
I liked Kristen and I enjoyed the story line. For me, the book had too many family scenes, for example the pages
describing the soccer games. Readers who enjoy more background on the main character will find it enjoyable.
Worth reading, and for the most part, very good suspense.
ChrisGA
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great police procedural about a serial killer and a feisty female detective with a large extended family. Very suspenseful but clean with no sex or language and a heroine who talks to God. Definitely a thrilling thriller.
Melissa
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this debut novel, Gilroy introduces a witty, yet endearing cast of characters. The suspense is taut and moves forward at a steady pace to keep the reader firmly invested in the ultimate outcome of the story. A couple of unresolved issues will hopefully be answered in the next installment featuring Kristen and Austin.
SUMMARY: Police detective Kristen Conner is good at her job, but has a slight anger problem. When she and her fellow Chicago police officers discover they have a serial killer in
Felicia
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel was so so for me. I found the pace to be drawn out and I got bored at times.

The main character, Kristen, is a detective working on the case of the "Cutter Shark". I was surprised at who the Cutter Shark actually was considering the book seemed to be pointing to a different person the entire time. That was a pleasant twist for me. I also found it entertaining that Kristen has her own "catch phrase" (No big biggie!) making her seem more relatable. Other than that though, I found her fa
Leighann
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rrlibrary
M.K. Gilroy is a good story-teller! The tense he used wasn't my favorite, but he keeps you engaged in the plot and characters. There was some romance, but it wasn't so thick that it made you gag. I'll be looking into his other works!
Susan
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Cuts like a knife is the first in the Kristen Connner series written by M.K. Gilroy. The story is packed with action and fun to read. Kristen is a good cop, funny and strong. I look forward to the next in the series.
David Pyle
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent character development and effective foreshadowing are featured in this faith-based tome. I highly recommend it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Relentless Pursuit (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #3)
  • Gone to Ground
  • Chasing the Wind
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Eyes of Justice
  • Nick of Time (Bug Man Series #6)
  • The Next Target
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice #1)
  • Hiding in Plain Sight (Place of Refuge #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #4)
  • Rainbow's End
  • Spirit Fighter (Son of Angels, #1)
  • Gravestone (Solitary Tales, #2)
  • Frantic
  • Southern Fried Sushi (Southern Fried Sushi #1)
  • Friend Me
  • Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)
  • A Plain Death (Appleseed Creek, #1)
Mark "M.K." Gilroy is a veteran publishing executive who has acquired, developed, authored, and ghostwritten numerous books that have landed on various bestseller lists.

His newest novel, Cold As Ice, marks the return of Detective Kristen Conner, a character USA TODAY calls "Miss Congeniality meets Castle's Kate Beckett; a lethal, smart, and fun combo."

His first two novels in the Kristen Conner Mys

Kristen Conner Mystery (3 books)
  • Every Breath You Take (Kristen Conner Mystery #2)
  • Cold As Ice (Kristen Conner Mystery #3)