Start by marking “To Buy A Wife (The Dark Future, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Buy A Wife (The Dark Future, #1)

To Buy A Wife

(The Dark Future #1)

On a harsh future Earth where corruption rules and women are few, cold realist Hudson Land must purchase a wife to comply with the Elders' laws and save his farm. Instead of an auction, he witnesses the start of an execution. With his first look at

Lake, a chemist and a rebel fighter, is resigned to her death, but when some back-hill farmer rescues her from the chopping
Published September 12th 2015 by Klein Publishing (first published March 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about To Buy A Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Buy A Wife

Start your review of To Buy A Wife (The Dark Future, #1)
Carrie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
To Buy A Wife by K.C. Klein is the first book of the science fiction/dystopian romantic The Dark Future series. The characters and story do continue over into the next book so to best be enjoyed one should start at the beginning and read the series in order.

Set in what is meant to be a futuristic version of Earth women have become property and only supposed to be good for bearing children and being wives. Hudson Land was headed to the auction to buy a wife but arrived late only to find himself
whatever_QQ
I didn't realize when I started reading this book that it is a novella, a cross between a short story and a novella really, less than 100 pages. Conflicts are revealed and resolved very quickly, perfect for those instant gratification types.

Our literary hottie, Hudson, saves the distrusting protagonist, Lake (yes Lake), from certain death. Will she betray him? There is more than just her loyalty to the rebellion on the line...

The world building leaves a lot to the imagination, it has the feel of
Chappy
In this crazy post-apocalyptic Earth, the Elders have taken over control of everything. Religious dogma referred to as "The Path" is cruelly enforced and women are rare commodities to be purchased. Only a very few men get to own a wife and mark her with their name on her back.

Hudson really needs a wife, especially if he is to hold onto his farm. Lake has no choice in the matter but she's determined to get revenge on those who have wronged her.
SheLove2Read
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed the writing style but not the story itself. A few minor editing issues that should be resolved but nothing that took me away from the timeline. I think the author could have done so much more with this if it had only been fleshed out a bit more, and didn't have such a misogynistic feel. I probably won't be reading anything more in this miniseries.
Celestine
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a note to myself that I read this book as part of the Hotter on the Edge anthology. It was an eventual trilogy that ended with Dark Future. Dark and dystopian feel to these books. Very good.
Timitra
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
To Buy A Wife

It has potential but it needs proofreading, the misspelled and misused words were distracting and took away from the story. The pacing was also a bit wonky. If those issues are fixed it can definitely be a solid read.
Willow Brooks
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a very unique dystopian story. Lake was a beautiful young woman who was on the verge of being beheaded for her part in the rebellion. There were so few women left in the world the author created, that in order to have children men would bid for a wife. Farmers were the ones who could afford the nicer looking and younger women to take to wife. All women were considered property with no rights, however Lake endeavor to change the law and make women equal with men.

The only way a
Deborah
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

In this future world women are a rare commodity and while they are bought and sold they're looked after especially during their child bearing years.
The Elders rule this harsh new world and according to their rules to own land you must have a wife which is why Hudson Land, complete with his entire life savings finds himself in town to purchase a wife the problem is he's missed the auction and it's now the beheadings which is where he surprisingly finds his wife to be.
Lake is a rebel and that's
Melanie A.
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo
3.5 STARS
Regan
A man cannot own land without also having a wife. Hudson travels to the town square with every piece of gold to his name in hopes of purchasing a wife before losing his farm. Instead, he finds himself buying a female criminal- one with translucent hair and wonderful curves. Beggers can't be choosers when wives are in short supply.

I found the world these characters live in fascinating--women are commodities as their survival rate as infants has fallen drastically. The rebels are working apart
SBee Reviews
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Family, honor, a possible future, the prevailing old ways

—>>> Hudson Land gives a good portion of his fortune to purchase a wife, sold the very moment he had set eyes on her on the executioner’s chopping block. But this woman is much more than just a pretty face. Her name is Lake, a woman on a dual mission, and nothing is going to stop her when she has already made up her mind, not even Hudson’s intent to make her his wife in all ways. Intriguing first installment into this Dark
Monique
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TO BUY A WIFE is set in the near future where wives, as the title implies are bought; women are a rare commodity. Lake, a revolutionary, is just about to be executed, when Hudson notices. He needs a wife, otherwise he will lose his precious land. He says she’s bearing his child, and even for that regardless of the crime, a woman cannot be executed. Lake is a very independent woman, she doesn’t want to be anybody’s wife, but Hudson doesn’t look so bad, he looks kinder than other men who had ...more
Donna
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereading
Good dystopian romance

I was immediately engrossed in this story of Lake, a stunning young woman who is being sold because her parents were killed when the government found a computer in their house. And in this world a man cannot keep property without an heir, so many man want to buy her.
Good writing, a few minor typos, but pretty well edited. I am going to read the next book in this series. Yes, the parts are all written, ready to read!
Michelle
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lake

She is about to be executed. But Hudson saves her by claiming she is pregnant with his child. She asks for twenty four hours and like a fool he gives them to her. When she runs he finds her but she claims to know a formula to help the rebellion and her brother, if only he will listen.
Amy Garrett
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
kc Klein is the only sci fi I will read

This takes place in a time where beheading happens. His wife is bought to save her life. She is a strong willed independent woman. I really enjoyed reading this, and if it were a film it would be a great one!
Peggy
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hudson needs a wife. Lake is going to be put to death. Hudson save Lake but Lake is part of the rebellion. Lake don't plan on being with Hudson. Can Hudson convince Lake to stay with him and save the farm?
Charlene  Kaup
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series

A new twist to the never ending want for immortal life. Wonderful characters that are well developed. Looking forward to the next book
Melanie S
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
Good story - as far as it goes

KC Klein introduces a grim and dangerous dystopian world ruled by a mysterious and powerful religious warlord elite. The Way is the only way to live, and all follow the Way or face the consequences. Of course free, injustice and oppression abound. Of course there's a Rebellion, a clandestine revolutionary group. And when Hudson, a Way-following landowner, must acquire a wife or lose his family's land, then bride price of a beautiful condemned rebel woman seems like
Dina Bushrod
Discovered that although I had already read this book some time back, that I never left a review, so I re-read it and liked it even better than the first time. In this first of a series (free on your favorite buy site) we have a world where women and therefore children are few. In order to have a wife she must be purchased through auction. This is the story of one man's illogical purchase of a woman as she is being prepared for execution. What the man doesn't know is that this woman is willing ...more
India
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Hudson’s world, it isn’t just customary to buy a wife but also necessary for the security of his farm. When he sees the beautiful prisoner on the executioner’s block he jumps in like a white knight but Lake isn’t a damsel in distress and she quickly lets him know. Having spent everything he had on this one chance can he make her stay?
I love a romance set in a dystopian future and this one has an intriguing back story. Women always seem to get the rough end of the deal when it comes to the
Brandy Jo
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick and dark story

This was an interesting book. A quick and dark story that ended on a cliffhanger and left me wanting to know more. It definitely had that dystopian feel to it.

Lake was in big trouble and couldn't quite decide if she had been rescued or was in even bigger trouble when it concerned Hudson. Hudson was gruff but also could be very gentle. Lake was very stubborn and didn't make anything easy for Hudson, but for good reason really. Trust needed to be earned in this warped world
Sandy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A crazy post-apocalyptic Earth.
This sci-fi story was a very interesting set on a world where women have become property Hudson saves a young woman from execution she, in turn, tried to kill him not a great way to start married life. It is a good set up for the next book in the series you want to know about this whacked out world. There is some action at the end that was great reading. I will have to check out the series. I did receive a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.
Ella
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hudson and Lake live in a different time and way of living. A man can’t own land unless he is married. He also cant just court a woman and fall in love. To marry you need to buy a wife and pay marriage fees. Then a wife needs to me marked to prove you are married. The elders rule and the rebellions fight for freedom. To Buy A Wife is the first book in the Dark Future series. It can be read as a standalone as it doesn’t have a cliffhanger.
Philleys Peters
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dystopian world where the shortage of women has them auctioned off and living in a society where the Way is their protocol of life. I don't blame Lake for escaping the way she did. She is a rebel and her beliefs haven't changed even though Hudson did save her life. A very intriguing storyline that ends, sadly, in a cliffhanger ending.

H.
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4-stars

In many ways, this book reminded me of Margaret Atwood's "A Handmaid's Tale." A not-so-distant future with a patriarchal society where fertile women are so scarce that they're sold like livestock to men in order to bear children--there's even a squicky ritual involved (spoilers). One key difference is the romance element, which was well-done. A quick, entertaining read. Looking forward to the next one!
Tanya
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Women are very few now and it a man wants a wide he has to buy her. She had been sentenced to death but when he sees her he wants her. He saves her but she wants nothing to do with him. There will be many how and down between them. Can they make it together? Will she leave him behind? See what happens to them

Amelia
2.5 Stars

An interesting premise that could've been really gripping if it were properly fleshed out. Alas, it wasn't. The writing barely scrapes the surface of its world. It's like a plot outline that was never developed and that is made clear by the substantial amount of typos and other errors, not least of which includes the heroine's own name.
Sharon
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short dystopian book that is the start of a series. I enjoyed the way the author built this future world and the characters. This is a great introduction for me to this author and to this new series which looks like it’s going to be wonderful.

Amanda Clark
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with how the book is written. I could picture the world that Lake and Hudson are in and visually see how the book plays out to the 2nd book.

Ramona Millard
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and fell in love with the characters and storyline. I'm picking up the rest of the series and I highly recommend you do to.

Goodreads Librari...: Please add book to my author profile 5 15 Sep 16, 2015 03:36PM

• The Protector (Men of the North, #1)
  • Accidentally Married: An Accidental Marriage Romance
  • Assassin's Prey (Assassins #2)
  • Awakening (Tales of Olympus, #2)
  • A Pack of Blood and Lies
  • A Pack of Vows and Tears (The Boulder Wolves, #2)
  • The Mobster's Masseuse
  • A Pack of Love and Hate (The Boulder Wolves, #3)
  • Red Hot Night (Trick-or-Treat Collaboration)
  • Marked by the Alpha: A Fated Mates Paranormal Romance (Bare Bites #1)
  • Queen of the Underworld (Tales of Olympus, #3)
  • Beast (Prydain, #1)
  • Assassin's Mark (Assassins #1)
  • Kadin (Dragons of Riddich, #1)
  • Medusa's Destiny (Monsters and Gargoyles #1)
  • Down for the Count (Dare Me, #1)
  • Forged in Stone (The Forged Chronicles #1)
  • Where's Mrs Witch? (Felt Flaps)
KC Klein has lived most of her life with her head in the clouds and her nose buried in a book. She did stop reading long enough to make a home with a real life hero, for over sixteen years. A mother of two children, she spends her time slaying dragons, saving princesses, and championing the belief in the happily-ever-after. An award winning novelist, KC Klein is celebrating her latest release in ...more

The Dark Future (4 books)
  • To Keep A Wife (The Dark Future, #2)
  • Dark Future (The Dark Future, #3)
  • The Breaking of Dawn: A Sci-fi Romance Novel (The Dark Future, #4)