Start by marking “The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication” as Want to Read:
The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication

The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication

No matter what your actual job title, you are--or soon will be--a data worker.
Every day, at work, home, and school, we are bombarded with vast amounts of free data collected and shared by everyone and everything from our co-workers to our calorie counters. In this highly anticipated follow-up to The Functional Art--Alberto Cairo's foundational guide to understanding
Published February 28th 2016 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Truthful Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truthful Art

Start your review of The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication
Andrew
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This may be coming in low for me because I already have some background in the area, and had high expectations.

I wasn't expecting material on stats or manipulation of data, or scientific method, but a good chunk of time is spent on it. What I hoped to learn was a more systematic way of thinking about visualization and going deeper there. This book basically gives you an intro to everything you need to go from zero to visualizing data (conceptually and mathematically, not technically). I like
Jeff Walker
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: visualization
A very solid introduction to data visualization along with some basic statistics. Primarily aimed at journalists and those with less of a quantitative background (I'm a scientist/engineer). Not much by way of the technical details on how to construct visualizations, but that wasn't the goal of this book. Lot's of great examples from other folks in the field, and plenty of excellent references to check out. Overall a pleasure to read.
Aaron Lee
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clear and packed with content. I enjoyed this one more than the first book, Functional Art, although its probably because this is more geared towards data viz and not illustrated infographics . Definitely recommend this for anyone who is starting or already doing data visualization, as it covers a number of important practical considerations and helpful tips without being dogmatic (subtweet Tufte). Its probably also a helpful book for anyone who just wants to avoid being misled by charts they ...more
Dimitrios Mistriotis
Although I wanted to absorb as much content as possible, Cairo's book is also a page turner for reasons I cannot explain. So I rushed through it and now will go for the second pass.
I was it helped me further understand some statistics concepts that were a bit vague to me which is one of the reasons I purchased it. Second pass now :-).

Update: Did another re-read of it following the "better to read a good book many times than many bad ones" got also references on where to go next. Thanks Alberto!
Andres Moreira
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: visualization
Everyone must read this book on today society, because we are empowered as human beans if we are more educated.

If you need a crash course into visualization and basic statistics, then go with this one. Alberto is a great storyteller and a clear and sharp mind. This is not just a book about visualization, it's a book about how to do better with data, how to present stories and a how journalism is at everybody's hands if they believe on the power of the story, the data and the people.

Tiago
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I really liked the book and the way it was written, which made it a very enjoyable read. Alberto Cairo's writing is one of the strengths of the book.

The "The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication" goes through the different stages of data visualization. From the data collection, to the  the visuals themselves focusing on guidelines and science principles that produces a good and truthful visualization. Also, concepts like p-values, confidence intervals and hypothesis testing are
Michael Scott
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TODO full review:
+++ Overall, I love this book. It's a thoughtful explanation of both the craft of information visualization (which graph depicts it best? how? why?) and an insightful warning on the ethics of information visualization (should I drop the "wrong" values? how should I emphasize my story while not playing with the minds of the readers unrespectfully? how to spot the damn liars from all these statisticians/data scientists?)
+++ Does not sound preachy on ethics, and at times the tone
Risto Hinno
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Visualizing data in a way that it would be correct, beautiful and exiting is difficult. This book is a great introduction to this topic. For beginners there is clear introduction to statistics (simple and graphical). For more advanced readers there are many examples that give inspiration. One of the main ideas I got from this book is that good visualization doesn't always have to be simple, it shouldn't give impression of confidence or clarity when it is lacking in data. Nice read for anybody ...more
Louis
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is what I have been looking for without knowing it. The math of how stats work and the concepts added in with the ability to visualize or see what the data looks like is incredibly helpful. also its fun to read. loved the recommendations and links to other websites/portfolios. keeps for more reading. WIll also look for the next book with is described as more of the actual design side of making things presentable. whereas this was more on the present good information side of things.
Yaru Lin
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The purpose infographics and data visualization is to enlighten people - not to entertain them, not to sell them products, services, or ideas, but to inform them."

From the ethics of journalism, to statistical fallacies and data communication best practices, these (beautiful glossy) pages are full of ideas that I want to flip through over and over again. The next challenge is finding a purse big enough.

Mel Nguyen
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: data-science
Great book on data visualization - Alberto stressed the importance of presenting data with the truth in mind and to never stray from that path. He also gave lots of advice on how to best present certain types of data and included examples on visually stunning and insightful work from other authors. This book is a checklist data analysts, journalists and designers should always keep in mind before diving into anything.

Lastly, ask questions. Always question what you see.
Almudena
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Un gran libro, ameno, certero, muy bien escrito... con conceptos sobre ciencia y estadística que exceden el ámbito de la visualización de datos estrictamente hablando.
Por eso mismo creo que es un texto divulgativo excelente para el público general. Un poco básico para un lector algo más especializado.
Anneli Kruve-Viil
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Though the book claims to be about data visualization it does a poor job in explaining WHY some graph work and some not, and HOW to prepare a good graph. Page after page is wasted on explaining math on high school level. The part on graphs is more of a graph album then a book to look explanation from.
Aitor
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ameno, muy bien escrito, lleno de consejos y con brillantes ejemplos de los más prestigiosos visualizadores de datos. Sin duda una referencia en la literatura sobre visualización de datos, interesante para periodistas, científicos, divulgadores o estudiantes.
Leni Krsová
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: datadriven
One of the BEST books about data and its visualisation. Full of valuable resources, good tips and advices on how to deal with everything involving data. Simply great!

P.S.: Take your time with this one, there is a LOT of information you will need to process. But it's totally worth the while.
Matt
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book that is thorough, organized well, and well referenced. I would have given it 5 stars but the example images were too hard to read at the sizes included. I wish they would have been bigger to be able to use more easily alongside the text referencing them.
Pablo Osorio
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Muy claro para comprender el mundo de la visualización.
No escribe para sus iguales, escribe para alguien que está iniciando. Aunque ya conozcas algunos temas de estadística y visualización, su lectura no tiene desperdicio.
Pedro Garrido Vega
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Un libro sobre visualización escrito por un diseñador gráfico. Ofrece recomendaciones útiles y enseña como los gráficos pueden engañar en vez de explicar la verdadera historia. Pone mucho énfasis en el papel de la estadística. ...more
Iurii Okhmat
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice!
Carlo Capasso
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Basic Visualization with some statistics.
Great job.
hannah
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Makes me anticipate the 3rd installment in the trilogy: The insightful art
Nicolas
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work, math
It is interesting to read about how a journalist thinks about creating compelling visuals.
coolwind
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have in-depth explanation of why and how make visual present the truth. Good to read together with the authors functional art. ...more
Art
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Precision journalism for the new century," writes Alberto Cairo, who describes himself as a journalist, primarily.

Half of this book deals with good visuals, while the other half covers what happens before the design, which covers data exploration, which leads to data visualization. This book blends principles of science, journalism, graphic design, cartography and statistics.

Cairo laments a recent trend in marketing, advertising and public relations that hijacked the term "infographics."
SocProf
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dataviz
I was already of the big fan of The Functional Art, Alberto Cairo's previous book, and this one is just as good, i.e., excellent. On top of it, it's a gorgeous book, with a ton of examples illustrating all the principles of data visualization Cairo explains, all in glorious colors, demonstrating the power of data visualization. Cairo weaves in some very mild statistical content in there (mostly descriptive stuff). But overall, the book is mostly about using visualization appropriate for the ...more
A
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: viz, science
Really good an entertaining, although I'd say it's more about data exploration and communication than visualization. I honestly believe the ones who would benefit the most from this book are engineering students and scientists in general.
Adrian
Great book - I actually needed the approach for my business, but highly recommended to anyone trying to understand that infographics is all about and how they can help you communicate.
Jaime Pena
Jul 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
  • Dear Data
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics: The Dos and Don'ts of Presenting Data, Facts, and Figures
  • R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data
  • Info We Trust: How to Inspire the World with Data
  • La straniera
  • Better Presentations: A Guide for Scholars, Researchers, and Wonks
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
  • Momenti straordinari con applausi finti
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Data Visualisation: A Handbook for Data Driven Design
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • The Kings of Cool (Savages, #1)
  • Quello che ci muove. Una storia di Pina Bausch

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Alberto Cairo is the Knight Chair in Visual Journalism at the School of Communication of the University of Miami. The author of several textbooks, he consults with companies and institutions like Google and the Congressional Budget Office on visualizations. He lives in Miami, Florida.

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...
“The purpose of infographics and data visualizations is to enlighten people—not to entertain them, not to sell them products, services, or ideas, but to inform them. It’s as simple—and as complicated—as that.” 3 likes
“It is in the combination of words and visuals that the magic of understanding often happens.” 1 likes