Jump to ratings and reviews

Little Red

Little Red Riding Hood meets a wolf on her way through the woods to visit her sick grandmother. The wolf is hungry, and Red Riding Hood looks tasty, so he hatches a dastardly plan, gobbles up Grandma and lies in wait. So far, so familiar. But this Little Red Riding Hood is not easily fooled, and this big bad wolf better watch his back. In this defiant interpretation of the traditional tale, the cheeky, brave little girl seizes control of her own story (and the wolf gets rather more than he bargained for).

32 pages, Hardcover

13 books58 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 384 reviews
Profile Image for Matt.
3,616 reviews12.8k followers
November 26, 2017
Told along the lines of Little Red Riding Hood, this story explores the journey taken by Little Red. A cunning little girl, Red knows all too well that the Wolf has a dastardly plan. Red arrives to see her grandmother, but sees that the Wolf has other plan. By the end, Little Red has her own ideas and takes the upper hand. Neo liked this story, as it kept it attention throughout. He was eager to see just how funny Red could be when she was able to outsmart the Wolf.
Profile Image for Chasity.
243 reviews13 followers
May 4, 2021
Little Red was charming and clever. An empowered main female character can never go wrong in my book. My kids loved it, too. 🙂
Profile Image for ❀Aimee❀ Just one more page....
443 reviews92 followers
November 2, 2015
This book has wonderful black and gray drawings with a little red on each page.

It's a short retelling where Red takes care of herself thank you very much.

The only thing I would have liked to see was a page showing Grandma coming out OK (since we're dealing with really young readers as a target audience). If you have sensitive children you may want to preview the grandma situation since she isn't mentioned after getting eaten by the wolf.

Thank you Netgalley and Myrick Marketing & Media/Peachtree Publishers for a free digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kendra.
596 reviews31 followers
March 18, 2016
I do love a Red Riding Hood who is capable. Also look at this Red's totally done look when dealing with an obvious wolf in her grandmother's dress:

Profile Image for your mom.
285 reviews19 followers
December 12, 2015
I really like the illustrations in this book. They are modern and minimal and are all in black and white, except for the vibrant red. Unfortunately, the rest of the book was unremarkable. This is a very brief retelling of the classic fairy tale with a few changes and a few notable flaws.

There is a rather forced girl-power message in the book where the author tells us that Little Red is not afraid of the wolf. It feels unnecessary. The more serious issues are with Grandma. We see her getting eaten by the wolf and there is no happy resolution. In the classic tale the woodsmen cut Grandma out of the wolf and she is safe and sound. Not here. Grandma is dead. We also see Little Red wearing a coat made of the wolf on the final page. This seems a bit more violent than necessary.

Overall, this book has not much to recommend it beside the art.

Note: I received the following book from netgalley.com and the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Nadine in NY Jones.
2,703 reviews208 followers
September 7, 2020
A perfectly charming retelling of the classic tale, with plenty of side-eye. This version dispenses with all the details, none of that nonsense about not being able to leave the path, and there's no suspense when she meets the wolf in granny's clothing. Red cuts straight to the chase. She's got a plan.

This simple book will appeal to the squirmiest young children, but it might be a bit too gruesome for the more sensitive child. The action takes place off-screen, but Some kids will LOVE that twist.

I loved the art, with all of the side-eye, and the wolf looks like Godzilla. I do wish there were more details in the background for little kids to find.
Profile Image for KC.
2,379 reviews
December 21, 2016
A delightful retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I seem to know a young lady who would have the same outcome of this tale.
Profile Image for Nick Swarbrick.
310 reviews32 followers
June 28, 2017
The interdependence of text and image is superb. Simply told, this RRH reselling stands out because of its sparse colours and understated text: I've read it daily for three days now and find something new to ponder each time.
Profile Image for Agnė.
744 reviews57 followers
June 4, 2017
The text and illustrations in this Little Red Riding Hood retelling are stripped down to their bare minimum, and thus words and pictures collaborate in telling the story instead of repeating each other -- very well done!

This picturebook also takes a full advantage of the page layouts, dramatic page turns and close-ups.

However, I am not a fan of this particular drawing style, and the retelling itself, although entertaining and empowering, is not that original .
Profile Image for Lisa.
859 reviews36 followers
October 18, 2017
Amazing illustrations, a little bit dark and twisted, and a fantastic heroine who absolutely saves herself. Love it.
Profile Image for Bruce Gargoyle.
874 reviews143 followers
March 28, 2016
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Red Riding Hood with a skandi twist, this book is a retelling with sass.

There are a lot of fairy tale retellings getting around at the moment, but the bold, minimalist colour scheme, chunky woodcut-style illustrations and text that oozes subversive wit sets this one apart. The general arc of the Red Riding Hood story is preserved here, but Red is presented as one independent and resourceful young lass. The simple combination of red, black and white in the illustrations is incredibly effective and makes this book a joy to look at, as much as to read. I’d love to see what is coming next from Woollvin and how she might tackle and original story.
Profile Image for Sandra.
770 reviews98 followers
January 18, 2016
What would have happened if Little Red Riding Hood would have felt strong and confident enough to defy the wolf by herself instead of waiting for the woodcutter's help?

Interesting version of one of the most popular tales for children. The white, grey and black illustrations highlight Little Red, who is a purposeful smart girl worth of highlighting!

Age range: up to 6 years old.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Check out more children's book reviews in my Reviews in Chalk Blog!
Profile Image for Jesse.
2,464 reviews2 followers
January 16, 2017
This amazing retelling of Little Red Riding Hood is unique, surprising, and hilarious! It's not often that a book shocks me like this one did; I love the artwork (the wolf's plan is one of my favorites) and the need to read between the lines. It actually reminded me a bit of I Want My Hat Back. It definitely doesn't pull any punches!
Profile Image for Andréa.
11.2k reviews94 followers
December 14, 2022
This rendition of Little Red Riding Hood is a little disturbing (not that the original isn't!). The Red-is-victorious outcome common in most modern retellings of the story has a slight twist in this version. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I can see some kids really enjoying this one.

Note: I received a digital ARC through NetGalley.
Profile Image for Chelsea.
301 reviews
January 3, 2017
Striking, funny, and weird. The text is simple enough for very little ones, but, while I loved it, I might save it for older kids who have already encountered the Grimm version of the story (in which Grandma is toast).
Profile Image for Quintina.
235 reviews
November 3, 2015
A fantastic take on the Little Red Riding Hood story. If you think Red is going to be a helpless victim in this version, think again!
Profile Image for Jenny.
358 reviews
May 14, 2016
Cute little retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood," with a brave little girl as the hero. I love the little twist ending. The illustrations are just great - simple and striking.
Profile Image for Olivia.
2,920 reviews63 followers
October 11, 2020
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

LITTLE RED is a simple telling of the Little Red Riding Hood tale with accompanying red, white, and black illustrations. Little Red is heading to her grandmother's house, when she encounters a wolf. The wolf may have scared other children, but not Little Red. The wolf's plan is hatched, and he eats her grandmother before putting on her grandmother's clothes and laying in bed. What follows is the original fairytale with a twist- Little Red does not need a huntsman to save her.

What I loved: The text is minimal, which goes along with the minimalistic illustrations well. The pages turn quickly, which will appeal to early readers. The fairytale is conveyed well here, and I love that Little Red is the one who saves herself- a tale with some girl power in it.

What left me wanting more: This book is a bit scary and should not be read to sensitive children. The wolf is shown eating the grandmother, and he is definitely a scary presence throughout. Little Red is also shown wearing the wolf's pelt at the end, which may also be challenging for sensitive animal lovers. This is definitely a dark story, and it would be better for children who enjoy a touch of the dark in their fairytales.

Final verdict: LITTLE RED is a simple recounting of the fairytale with a touch of horror/scary that is great for less sensitive readers before Halloween.

Please note that I received a review copy. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Nikki in Niagara.
3,782 reviews123 followers
November 24, 2017
After reading the author's newest book "Rapunzel", I had to go back and read her first book and this one is even better. This is, for the most part, the original story of Little Red Riding Hood, only our Little Red here is no sissy girl. She suspects the wolf from the beginning and takes care of him herself without the aid of any woodsman. The story is quite dark when one thinks about it and in true sequential art format the words are innocent enough but the pictures tell the true story. Let's just say that at the end Red has a gorgeous new fur coat. LOL
Profile Image for Alli Smith.
82 reviews
April 25, 2019
This book would be good to read after learning about fairy tales and how story can be rewritten. This book is definitely for older students, in my opinion. They would have to understand the original to understand this good. The ending might also need to be explained because I can see it going over a lot of students' heads, however the ending is a bit violent if explained.
Profile Image for Jillian Heise.
2,270 reviews475 followers
July 16, 2017
A slightly dark, girl power retelling of a classic fairy tale that pulls no punches and adds intelligence to the main character. No damsels in distress in Woollvin's fractured fairy tales, just girls figuring things out, making plans, and kicking butt.
Profile Image for Melissa Goembel.
29 reviews1 follower
Read
February 9, 2018
In this story, red is the hero and saves herself from the wolf.
This is the like the traditional little red riding hood except for a twist at the end. The girl takes a basket to grandma’s house. She goes through the forest. She meets the wolf along the way. The wolf takes a short cut and beats lil red to grandma’s house. He dresses like grandma and waits for the girl. He doesn’t trick the girl, but she plays along. She chops the wolf with an axe and take his coat and goes on her way.
Profile Image for Chance Lee.
1,311 reviews120 followers
April 25, 2019
Striking artwork enhances the morbid little red riding tale. The illustration of grandma getting eaten is darkly funny.
Profile Image for Megan Wagner.
557 reviews1 follower
August 9, 2020
I feel like it would be kind of awkward to explain to a child why Red is holding an axe on one page and wearing the wolf on the next.
380 reviews1 follower
November 7, 2016
This derivative folktale, which retells the story of Little Red Riding Hood, is clever and humorous. Little Red, the protagonist, is asked to deliver a basket to her grandmother by her mother one day. She goes to her grandmother’s house, but she notices something is wrong. Instead of knocking the door, she first peeps in through the window suspiciously. Then, readers could see the difference between this story and the classic Little Red Riding Hood story.

Little Red (in this book, she is not “Little Red Riding Hood”) is not an ordinary girl. The cover of the book shows that she is not girly. Her facial expression shows her character as chic and indifferent. When her mom asks her to go to grandmother’s house with a basket, she does not show any pleasure to see her grandmother. Compared to the traditional Little Red Riding Hood, Little Red does not show any excitement to the travel to her grandmother’s house. The scene where she peeps in through the window suspiciously when she arrives her grandmother’s house makes readers laugh because readers who are familiar with the traditional Little Red Riding Hood story might not expect this reaction from her. Her expressionless face with ignorance toward the wolf on the next page also makes readers think about the uniqueness of her character. At the climax, the author, Bethan Woollvin, illustrates a full two- page spread focusing on Little Red’s eyes. It gives the reader the cue that something will happen. The last page of the book shows the best part with the girl with a devilish smile and wearing wolf fur.

Contemporary picture books show different perspectives on issues and contain a lot of humor and twists, and I think Little Red by Bethan Woollvin shows these elements quite well. The majority of the colors in this book are black and red. Those two colors represent the characters of Little Red who is chic and cool. The texts do not explain the story a lot, but the illustrations show many details which help readers understand the whole story.
Profile Image for Amy Layton.
1,641 reviews48 followers
Read
January 12, 2019
I was first introduced to this book a couple months ago, in my picturebook class.  We looked at the shapes, the colors, how we moved from verso to recto along with the book.  For those picturebook nerds like me, this is a great example of Molly Bang's ten rules and why they work.

But, to the book now.  The color scheme is so simple, yet so...so good.  We know Red because of her, well, Redness.  The rest isn't really that important.  So away with it!  We're left with just black and white, which is just right for detailing the background.  And Red's eyes...the better to analyze this book with!  And the narrative.  I love this retelling, this wonderful retelling where Red finally gets her just desserts on a rather personal level that seems maybe just a bit harsh (but rightfully so) for a children's book.  If you haven't read this yet, please do!  It's utterly delightful.

Review cross-listed here!

2nd time through:

This still holds up, most definitely. My new favorite thing about this book--besides those creative endpapers on which the story begins and finishes--is the representation of the characters. The only characters we "actually" see are Red and the wolf. The mother and grandmother's faces are always cut off, and even the depiction we see of the grandmother is just the imagination of the wolf's mind, and not actually her. I think that says something about the cunning between both Red and the Wolf, and perhaps the matronliness of the older women in the tale. Being able to see Red's shifty little eyes and the wolf's evil look allow us to truly get into their minds and see just how similar and simultaneously unalike they are.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 384 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.