Start by marking “Little Red” as Want to Read:
Little Red

Little Red

Little Red Riding Hood meets a wolf on her way through the woods to visit her sick grandmother. The wolf is hungry, and Red Riding Hood looks tasty, so he hatches a dastardly plan, gobbles up Grandma and lies in wait. So far, so familiar. But this Little Red Riding Hood is not easily fooled, and this big bad wolf better watch his back. In this defiant interpretation of the ...more
Published 2015 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Little Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red

Start your review of Little Red
Matt
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told along the lines of Little Red Riding Hood, this story explores the journey taken by Little Red. A cunning little girl, Red knows all too well that the Wolf has a dastardly plan. Red arrives to see her grandmother, but sees that the Wolf has other plan. By the end, Little Red has her own ideas and takes the upper hand. Neo liked this story, as it kept it attention throughout. He was eager to see just how funny Red could be when she was able to outsmart the Wolf.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This book has wonderful black and gray drawings with a little red on each page.

It's a short retelling where Red takes care of herself thank you very much.

The only thing I would have liked to see was a page showing Grandma coming out OK (since we're dealing with really young readers as a target audience). If you have sensitive children you may want to preview the grandma situation since she isn't mentioned after getting eaten by the wolf.

Thank you Netgalley and Myrick Marketing &
Emilie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
I really like the illustrations in this book. They are modern and minimal and are all in black and white, except for the vibrant red. Unfortunately, the rest of the book was unremarkable. This is a very brief retelling of the classic fairy tale with a few changes and a few notable flaws.

There is a rather forced girl-power message in the book where the author tells us that Little Red is not afraid of the wolf. It feels unnecessary. The more serious issues are with Grandma. We see her getting
Kendra
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do love a Red Riding Hood who is capable. Also look at this Red's totally done look when dealing with an obvious wolf in her grandmother's dress:

KC
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I seem to know a young lady who would have the same outcome of this tale.
Christie Angleton
Love the art in this one!
Nick Swarbrick
The interdependence of text and image is superb. Simply told, this RRH reselling stands out because of its sparse colours and understated text: I've read it daily for three days now and find something new to ponder each time.
Agnė
The text and illustrations in this Little Red Riding Hood retelling are stripped down to their bare minimum, and thus words and pictures collaborate in telling the story instead of repeating each other -- very well done!

This picturebook also takes a full advantage of the page layouts, dramatic page turns and close-ups.

However, I am not a fan of this particular drawing style, and the retelling itself, although entertaining and empowering, is not that original (view spoiler)
Karen Witzler
Little Red doesn't really need modernizing. In the oldest versions of the tale she learns how to take care of herself. I prefer the more traditional.
Lisa
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Amazing illustrations, a little bit dark and twisted, and a fantastic heroine who absolutely saves herself. Love it.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Red Riding Hood with a skandi twist, this book is a retelling with sass.

There are a lot of fairy tale retellings getting around at the moment, but the bold, minimalist colour scheme, chunky woodcut-style illustrations and text that oozes subversive wit sets this one apart. The general arc of the Red Riding Hood story is preserved here, but Red is presented as one independent and resourceful young lass.
Sandra
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
What would have happened if Little Red Riding Hood would have felt strong and confident enough to defy the wolf by herself instead of waiting for the woodcutter's help?

Interesting version of one of the most popular tales for children. The white, grey and black illustrations highlight Little Red, who is a purposeful smart girl worth of highlighting!

Age range: up to 6 years old.

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Check out more children's book
Jesse
This amazing retelling of Little Red Riding Hood is unique, surprising, and hilarious! It's not often that a book shocks me like this one did; I love the artwork (the wolf's plan is one of my favorites) and the need to read between the lines. It actually reminded me a bit of I Want My Hat Back. It definitely doesn't pull any punches!
Chelsea
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-for-babyq, 0kids
Striking, funny, and weird. The text is simple enough for very little ones, but, while I loved it, I might save it for older kids who have already encountered the Grimm version of the story (in which Grandma is toast).
Rachel Watkins
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being-brave
This is my favorite retelling of Little Red Riding Hood in the whole entire world. #GirlPower
Quintina
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A fantastic take on the Little Red Riding Hood story. If you think Red is going to be a helpless victim in this version, think again!
Jenny
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute little retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood," with a brave little girl as the hero. I love the little twist ending. The illustrations are just great - simple and striking.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading the author's newest book "Rapunzel", I had to go back and read her first book and this one is even better. This is, for the most part, the original story of Little Red Riding Hood, only our Little Red here is no sissy girl. She suspects the wolf from the beginning and takes care of him herself without the aid of any woodsman. The story is quite dark when one thinks about it and in true sequential art format the words are innocent enough but the pictures tell the true story. Let's ...more
Alli Smith
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would be good to read after learning about fairy tales and how story can be rewritten. This book is definitely for older students, in my opinion. They would have to understand the original to understand this good. The ending might also need to be explained because I can see it going over a lot of students' heads, however the ending is a bit violent if explained.
Jillian Heise
A slightly dark, girl power retelling of a classic fairy tale that pulls no punches and adds intelligence to the main character. No damsels in distress in Woollvin's fractured fairy tales, just girls figuring things out, making plans, and kicking butt.
Melissa Goembel
In this story, red is the hero and saves herself from the wolf.
This is the like the traditional little red riding hood except for a twist at the end. The girl takes a basket to grandma’s house. She goes through the forest. She meets the wolf along the way. The wolf takes a short cut and beats lil red to grandma’s house. He dresses like grandma and waits for the girl. He doesn’t trick the girl, but she plays along. She chops the wolf with an axe and take his coat and goes on her way.
Chance Lee
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Striking artwork enhances the morbid little red riding tale. The illustration of grandma getting eaten is darkly funny.
Arminzerella
Don't mess with this Little Red. She takes no prisoners.
Pamela
Everyone is very concerned that Grandma doesn't get brought back at the end, but ... once you get eaten by a wolf, you are generally Quite Dead and do not come back to life. Just sayin.
Sunah Chung
This derivative folktale, which retells the story of Little Red Riding Hood, is clever and humorous. Little Red, the protagonist, is asked to deliver a basket to her grandmother by her mother one day. She goes to her grandmother’s house, but she notices something is wrong. Instead of knocking the door, she first peeps in through the window suspiciously. Then, readers could see the difference between this story and the classic Little Red Riding Hood story.

Little Red (in this book, she is not “
Amy Layton
I was first introduced to this book a couple months ago, in my picturebook class. We looked at the shapes, the colors, how we moved from verso to recto along with the book. For those picturebook nerds like me, this is a great example of Molly Bang's ten rules and why they work.

But, to the book now. The color scheme is so simple, yet so...so good. We know Red because of her, well, Redness. The rest isn't really that important. So away with it! We're left with just black and white, which is just
Jim
The art is fantastic – almost minimalist – in this excellent retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. And the black and white with the little splashes of red makes for a great contrast.

I can’t share all the things I like about the story without spoiling the story, which makes for a difficult review.

Suffice it to say, the story has a bit of a bit of a different take than the original.

I have one question – what happened to Grandma?

Recommended for all ages.

Thanks to NetGalley, Myrick Marketing
Kara
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
At last, Little Red Riding Hood has some agency in her story.
This darkly comic twist includes great visual storytelling and just the right selection of words.
The last scene is especially good.
Poor grandma, though. Red doesn't seem fazed by her disappearance.
RC
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This minimalist picture book takes a very traditional retelling of Little Red Riding Hood and gives the ending enough of a twist to empower Little Red. Although the simple black, white, and red illustrations and small amount of text points to a young audience, the scarier elements and changes to the story may be best for those who are already familiar with the fairy tale.
Sally
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the spirit and quick thinking of this Little Red.

I love the illustrations. I shared it with a first grade class...forgot about the axe.
The teacher didn't seem to think I should be concerned.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• That Book Woman
  • Pass Go and Collect $200: The Real Story of How Monopoly Was Invented
  • Boy + Bot
  • Tomás and the Library Lady
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Sweetest Kulu
  • The Bear's Song
  • Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World
  • You Hold Me Up
  • Alone Together
  • Alphabet City
  • Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • Have You Seen Elephant? (Gecko Press Titles)
  • When Spring Comes