Start by marking “A Passionate Spirit” as Want to Read:
A Passionate Spirit

A Passionate Spirit

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
It’s a dream come true for Zoe when she and her new husband, unconventional priest Theo, move to the Cotswolds. But fearsome dreams about a young girl running for her life disturb Zoe and she can’t shake off the idea that a child’s life is in danger... and so is hers.

When two unexpected guests arrive, Zoe can’t abandon her feelings of unease and a series of disturbing eve
Paperback
Published November 28th 2015 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about A Passionate Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Passionate Spirit

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I liked this book but can't say that I loved it. For me it was a nice read, a bit lukewarm in the middle but I do think it will appeal to some readers for sure. It's written well and I liked the plot but found the execution of it was a bit drawn out. I got a bit bored in places. Almost too much peripheral detail to hold the interest all the way through.

David
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this book. The scenario at first seems familiar but as unexplained events stack up an insidious menace develops. There are some attractive and some very unattractive characters that interact in a combination of naive and increasingly sinister ways and are well drawn out by events. The last sections are very fast-paced, almost breathless, with some nicely-worked twists. One to read with the lights on and door bolted in a cosy Cotswold cottage!
Emily Carter-Dunn
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of a GoodReads giveaway and I'm very grateful for the opportunity to read this book. That being said, I wasn't bowled over by this novel.

The Author
A lovely lady who wrote me a wonderful note. Ironically, she was writing about where I live and her ties to the place - and I'm from Gloucestershire, where the novel is set! The author has clearly done her research and use places in the area in her book. I liked that I could identify these places and really imagine them in
Abigail Robinson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel is a paranormal-spiritual patchwork, drawing inspiration from all directions that are bound to intrigue a large array of people. Ghostly encounters, spiritual healing, mental health, life in show business and sinister cults all play a part in the unusual tale.
As mentioned by others, the pace is a little slow around the middle of the novel, which would be positive if the atmosphere and tension were more prominent to amplify the sense of mounting unease. Based on the information on the
Breakaway Reviewers
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A sinister tale...

When I was asked to read 'A Passionate Spirit' I almost thought that this could be a romantic novel, which is certainly not within my radar! This is the first time I have read anything by this author and I was thrilled to find from the outset that this was going to develop into a sinister tale.

The main characters, Zoe and Theo are very cleverly interwoven with two unusual newcomers, James and Natasha. As the plot progresses, the reader is introduced to a ghostly child who is in
Priscilla
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shut the windows, lock the doors and settle yourself on the sofa making sure you have food and drink next to you so you don’t have to get up and break the spell then be prepared to be immersed in this supernatural thriller. It grips you from the very start and throws you right into the midst of the paranormal mystery. The characters are well drawn making it a compelling read that won’t let you put it down till the end.
Not my usual type of book but a very enjoyable read.
I was very lucky to win th
Sheena
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recieved as a goodreads giveaway. I have thought long and hard about what to say and I really don't want to hurt anyones feelings but feel there is no point to reviewing if I am not honest. Obviously this is only my opinion but this book was very poorly written and in need of a good editor and the story itself was unfocused and the plot disjointed. Who am I though to say it won't do well I thought 'Fifty shades of grey' was badly written. Thank you to the author and goodreads for giving me the o ...more
Chantel DaCosta
I struggled with this book. The description was intriguing and I loved the start. But the whole idea and paranormal activities where so disjointed and unclear that the entire middle and sub-plots were weak. The ending was great and I wished some of the character motivations were revealed sooner.

This is a NetGalley book and I so thankful for access to this book. It is short novel, read it one afternoon.
Sheri
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. My one major issue was that the flow felt "off". The climax of the book felt too long and drawn out. I liked the story line, most of the characters and felt that it was a satisfying conclusion. There was a little loop left hanging that the author could possible use for a sequel.

*Thank you to the author/publisher/Netgalley for the opportunity to read the book in return for an honest review*
Jeanette
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had this book on my kindle for ages, but have only just got around to reading it. Only wished that I had read it sooner, as this was so much better than I had thought. A great thriller that kept me turning the pages. I rarely write a review for fear of spoiling for others, but do recommend. I hope to read more books by this author. I would like to thank Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book, although I am very late.
Lisa fletcher
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg this book was amazing, wow this book kept me up all night and ruined my beauty sleep I just couldn't put it down. It was an emotional roller coaster of a read well done for writing such an amazing story your definitely worthy of 5 stars.
TJ Burns
Kristina
Jan 17, 2016
Bacsa
Jan 17, 2016
  • Fire on the Island (Vigilati, #1)
  • The Widow Makers (The Widow Makers, #1)
  • Among the Unseen (The Thin Veil, #3)
  • Death on a Longship (Shetland Mysteries #1)
  • Lost Dreams: The Story of Eadburg, Queen of Wessex
  • Romancing the Soul
  • Harmony (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Beast from the Sky (Gert O'Connell, # 1)
  • Darkness Follows
  • The Scots: A Genetic Journey
  • Dead Light
  • Dark North
  • Watch the Face of the Sky (Circle, #3)
  • The Sword And The Passion
  • One Last Dance
  • Pharos: A Ghost Story
  • The Strange Man (The Coming Evil, #1)
  • Conquests: Hearts Rule Kingdoms
Books: "Mystical Circles" (psychological suspense) pub. 2012; and "A Passionate Spirit" (paranormal thriller) pub. 2015

Lives: Warwick, UK.

Occupation: Writer / mother

Family: Son Jamie, daughter Abigail and husband David

Siblings: Older brother Chris and older sister Julia

Pets: One cat, Molly

Hobbies: reading, visiting historical properties; singing, visiting art galleries and museums, going to musica
More about SC Skillman...

“And my advice to anyone who wants to be a writer? Read a lot, listen to people’s conversations, be observant about the details of your world, and especially about human behaviour and interaction, and persist in your writing, being single-minded to the point of obsession…never give up, always believe in yourself despite all evidence to the contrary, and hold out for what you first dreamed of.” 0 likes