Start by marking “The Sound of All Things” as Want to Read:
The Sound of All Things

The Sound of All Things

Experience the sights and sounds of 1930s Brooklyn and Coney Island through the eyes--and ears--of a hearing boy and his deaf parents.
A Brooklyn family takes an outing to Coney Island, where they enjoy the rides, the food, and the sights. The father longs to know how everything sounds. Though his son does his best to interpret their noisy surroundings through sign language
Published March 1st 2016 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of All Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of All Things

Leslie Reese
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This is a sensitive portrayal of a child who is trying to learn to describe the sounds of his world to his deaf parents in a meaningful, resonant way. Great illustrations. I learned about this book from the blog, https://zezeewithbooks.wordpress.com.
Barbara
This is an extraordinarily beautiful and moving book, filled with gouache and acrylic illustrations that take readers right to the busy streets of 1930s Brooklyn and the hustle, bustle, and fun of Coney Island. The narrator describes a day spent at the amusement park and in the neighborhood with his family. But because his parents are both deaf, they rely on how to find descriptive words to help them experience the sounds around them. The narrator finds that he lacks the words that will do justi ...more
Nyapot Hogan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
When you hear fireworks what kind of sounds do they make? How would you describe it? Try the best you can. What about the ocean? What sounds does the water make? How many of you have been on a roller coaster or a mari-go-round? Can you describe the kind of sound it makes?

The reason I open this story by asking about different sounds is that in the book The Sound of All things is a story about a little boy who has two deaf parents. They go on an outing to an amusement park and then to the beach. H
Rachel
Jun 08, 2018 added it
Shelves: state-award
[Show the cover to the children] Why is the boy covering his ears? [Children respond] Why do you think the parents are NOT covering their ears? In this book, The Sound of All things, the parents of the boy are deaf so they can’t hear. The boy describes sounds for his father. Because the parents can’t hear, they must be extra careful with their sight. So be sure to play attention to the pictures, too. You can be like the boy and describe what each scene might sound like.
(Prompt hypothesizing bas
Bethe
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Sensitive story of a boy with deaf parents as he struggles to describe the sounds he hears during a trip to cony island. Love that the librarian gives him a poetry book to find more words, I thought it would be a thesaurus.
Emily Stearns
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art & realistic premise. I would recommend for all young readers, whether or not they have a deaf person in their life.
Jill
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Made me teary!
Ariel
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this were just breathtaking.
Also, it was a neat look at having two deaf parents.
Sierra Nikole
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sound of all Things by Myron Uhlberg, illustrations by Ted Papoulas
© 2016
This book begins with a young boy and his mom and dad at Coney Island for a very adventurous day! They ride the roller coasters, sit on the beaches and feed the nearby animals, grab some Chinese food to feed themselves, and then stay in the park into the night to watch beautiful fireworks! The only thing you may not have guessed by now though, is that the father and mother are Deaf, and the boy is hearing. All through
Jackie Sisley
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecce-2201
In this book, a young boy takes an emotional and empathetic journey though Coney Island as he attempts to explain sounds to his deaf father. It is beautifully illustrated and engaging. Uhlberg does a spectacular job of conveying the emotions of both the deaf father and his hearing son throughout the book. Children can get a feel for the characters' frustration for the roles they are forced to play by the reality of their situations and the love and empathy the characters hold for each other. It ...more
Justin Dolezal
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an eye opening book to me because it is about a young boy with deaf parents and his dad always wants to know what everything sounds like and asks him to describe the sounds so the young child goes to a library to learn more words about how to describe sounds. Interesting book because I think its something that people don't really think about all that often. Will for sure have this in my classroom.
Sandi
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful and touching story about a boy describing sounds of things like the ocean, to his father who lost his hearing as a child.
At the end of the book, Myron Uhlberg, an award-winning author tells about how when he was a baby in a crib, he signed his love for his mother and father with his small hands!
The boy in the story learns about words from his local library. Check this book out!
Noel
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an aspiring author, I found this book provided a wonderful example of how important it is to choose the best word to convey your perception of a sound, sight or situation.
Imagine wrapping yourself in a blanket of silence, what would you yearn to hear to help you create a more full understanding of an experience?
The Sounds of All Things, gives the reader an opportunity to explore a world in a way they may have never considered.
Alyssa
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
This is a true story that the author writes about his childhood and growing up with deaf parents. His dad constantly asks him to describe the sounds that he hears and the boy struggles to find the right words to give these descriptions. The boy then discovers how books from the library can help with this.
Serina
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
The subject matter itself was fascinating. Boy's parents are deaf so he has to descibe the world to them, especially his dad. It balances out the difficulty of being relied on by your parents vs. the amazing gift of sound he has. Good fit for 3/4 grade due to wordiness.
Jackie Ostrowicki
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eva-and-me
Lovely illustrations, more advanced storyline that allows for a lot of discussion with a 1st grader. A hearing son with two deaf parents tries to find a way to describe what sounds feel like. Based on a true story; great for creating compassion and putting yourself in another's shoes.
Amanda Quinn
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-230, children-s
I loved how there was representation of signing and deaf culture in this book. The end felt a little bit anticlimactic, but I thought it was a sweet story and there are not enough books for kids that have deaf characters.
Michaela
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very lovely story with stunning and detailed illustrations.
Karen Gibson
I don't purchase many books anymore, but depend on my excellent local library. However, I had to have this. Love everything about it including the amazing illustrations.
Nicki
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing pictures
Kelly
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about deaf parents
Steph
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Totally different type of read aloud during a unit about the five senses. The story is about a boy whose parents are both deaf, and how that affects his views and awareness of his other senses.
Erin
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this one but it fell a little short. Beautiful pictures though!
Zezee
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As posted on Zezee with Books.

This one was also great. It’s a heartfelt illustrated children’s book set in Brooklyn during the 1930s and is about a young hearing boy hanging out with his deaf parents at Coney Island and describing the sound of things to his father. I loved it because it reverses the parent-child dynamic. Instead of the child constantly asking the parent to explain something, the boy instead has to describe things to his father, who is eager and excited to know what the things ar
Alice
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uhlberg reminisces about a childhood day at Coney Island with his deaf parents. As the hearing son, his father expected Uhlberg to describe the sounds he heard that father could only feel.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Uhlerg, Myron The Sound of all Things Peachtree, 2016. $17.95 PICTURE BOOK

This is the story of a young boy growing up in Brooklyn, New York in the 1930’s. Both his parents are deaf but he is not. His father frequently asks him to describe the sound of things, which annoys him, mostly because he can’t think of the right words to describe complex sounds. They go on a rollercoaster, walk through a crowded city and more. Finally the boy decides to go to the library for help.

I think the idea of tryin
Samantha
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The narrator describes a day spent with his parents at 1930s era Coney Island. The boy's parents both have hearing loss and his father challenges the boy to describe many sounds throughout the day. When the boy provides lazy answers, the father insists he try again, which leads the boy to explore poetry at a library for guidance.

The storytelling is wonderful and helps the reader understand that the feeling of hearing loss is unimaginable considering that just plugging your ears doesn't erase the
Jillian
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book! It's a concept I never really imagined, but now I'm kind of embarrassed that I hadn't thought of it before - what is it like to be the hearing child of two deaf parents? How would you describe the world to them?
The story is a slice-of-life tale, centered on a family outing to Coney Island. They ride the rides, eat Chinese food, and visit the library before heading home. But the backdrop to the whole thing is the way things sound, and finding the words to describe it.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW. This is definitely an early contender for next years Caldecott for me. It is gorgeous!! The illustrations look like something I would hang on my ways. The text tells the beautiful story of a boy who discovers the powerful difference that words can make when used to describe the sounds that his father cannot hear. I also really love any book that paint librarians as friendly, helpful people instead of the great shusher that most books/tv shows make us out to me. Highly recommended...it is a ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ages 6-8

In this story, a young boy visits Coney Island with his parents, who are both deaf. He father asks him to describe the sound of everything, but it's very difficult because he doesn't know enough words. He gets a book of poetry from the library to help him. I enjoyed this tale. It explains deafness and compassion.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Myron Uhlberg is the critically acclaimed and award-winning author of a number of children’s books. He recently published a memoir of his life in Brooklyn, New York, growing up the oldest hearing son of deaf parents. He lives with his wife in Santa Monica and Palm Springs.