Start by marking “The Bath Monster” as Want to Read:
The Bath Monster

The Bath Monster

As your bath water drains, that slurping sound it makes is the Bath Monster--dirty bath water is his SECOND favorite food. No one wants to find out what his FIRST favorite food is . . . until Jackson decides he doesn't believe in the Bath Monster anymore and refuses to take a bath ever again. Starving, the Bath Monster visits Jackson for his FIRST favorite food . . . Thank ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Andersen Press (first published September 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Bath Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bath Monster

Reese Copeland
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this was a fun book to read with my 3 year old, I think the ending was pretty poor. Essentially, it ends with the implication that the boy in the story has been eaten by the bath monster. Now, my little boy is going through the monster phase and to hear that, is not really good for him. So, if you read this to your kids, beware of that.
Cheryl
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud, reading this in the children's room at the library. At the same time I was angry at the mom for telling the kid that the monster wants to eat him. (view spoiler) Be sure to turn the last page, folks! Are you the people who rush through life and miss out on endpapers, the fabulousness of mud, the smell of roses, etc.?! Anyway, only 3.5 stars rounded up becaus ...more
Sharie
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rdg-level-pic
Allison
So...I laughed and thought it was funny. But spending most of my day with children under 5, I'm positive that it will inspire nightmares in most kids...
Aylea
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review published by Brigham Young University's The Children's Book and Media Review

After you take a bath, all the dirty water goes down the drain to feed the bath monster. Jackson loves everything about getting dirty, like playing in mud, climbing trees, and rolling down hills. His mother tells him that he has to take a bath or the Bath Monster, whose second favorite food is dirty bath water, will get him. Jackson decides that he doesn’t believe in the Bath Monster so he won’t take any more
June
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bath, monster and scary requests
Probably too scary for my young story time crowd, but a possible for my Halloween program as a monster book.

Chosen in my bath story time by a boy, but it was one of the girls that could tell me what the Bath Monster's favorite food was. I think it was checked out by a girl too.
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Absolutely LOVE the illustrations, but the ending is quite scary for a kid!
Meghan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: xf-picture
Illustrations: Cute and well done. I can definitely appreciate the Roald Dahl-esque characters.

Story: This idea is certainly interesting... but with the audience that it's intended for... I'm regretful that I read it to my 4 year old last night! WTH. Books aren't supposed to make life harder for parents of toddlers. And toddler books aren't supposed to try to scare the children out of doing things - they're supposed to inspire them to try things! Mud pies - my eye! The book ends suggesting that
Francis Thibeault
Un album loufoque qui rappelle les histoires rocambolesques de Roald Dahl pour son caractère extraordinaire et étrange. Un bel album qui nous incite, de manière humoristique, à nous laver fréquemment pour pas que le monstre du bain ne nous attrape!
Donna Mork
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about a little boy that loves to get muddy. Every night he takes a bath so the bath monster won't get him. One night he says he doesn't believe in bath monsters. So he skips his bath. The bath monster is still hungry so he comes to get the little boy...and make mud pies.
Tracy Morton
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
SO this book is a touch disturbing. First the children are told that when water swirls down the drain after a bath it is the bath monster sucking the bath water down. At that point I was still thinking of using it for my dirt storytime....but then the bath monster ate the kid sooooooo....
Kelly
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hahahahaha, nice twist for the ending. A little on the silly/gruesome side, but depending on the audience and maybe the time of the year this book will be well received.
Kathy
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Perfect for bath-themed story times because it's short and funny.
Clare Bird
Thanks for terrifying my 2.5 year old 😂.
The Book Girl (Andrea)

This is a silly little book about the horrible tale of the dirty bath monster. This book is a great book for boys. I really enjoyed reading this book with my foster kids. They loved it also. We read it quite a while ago.

This was a great book because this is an issue we have faced in our house. Fear of taking a bath because of the water drain. See after you take that wonderful bath that gets you all clean, the dirty water flows down the tub. It is fed to the one and only bath monster.

In this pic
Adrienne
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the twist at the end; I wasn't expecting that!
Kid Lit Reviews
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
Jackson loves to play and get dirty—rolling down hills, landing in mud puddles—with his best friend, Dexter. Together, they make themselves a mucky, muddy mess from head to toes—and, somehow, between his toes. Every night Jackson’s mother looks at her yucky, mucky, son and says, “Look at you! Go and have a bath now or the Bath Monster will come and get you.” Jackson jumps into the tub, just to keep the Bath Monster at bay. The Bath Monster loves dirty water.

Tony Ross’s illustrations greatly enh
One more, please!
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute story about a Bath Monster that survives on the bath water from dirty children. Only, one day when Jackson decides to defy his Mother's warning and refuses a bath... Jackson disappears. This seems silly but it scared my 5-year-old out of his wits. Now, my son is not overly sensitive, as a family we don't go out of our way to censor material but there was something about this content that really disturbed him, so we came up with an extended ending that satisfied him and he could fall asleep ...more
Amanda
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Hahahaha...loved the ending. But I wonder if an editor somewhere made him tweak it and change it so that it was slightly less gruesome by including the note having him gone off to make mud puddles with the Bath Monster, rather than having him be eaten?

But obviously they really didn't think this through properly, because what child wouldn't prefer to go off and play and have a good time than be forced to dutifully take a bath?
Chelsea
A cute book about bath monsters who must be fed every night by dirty bath water. An interesting way to remind children that they should take baths to feed the bath monster! The question is... what happens if the bath monster isn't fed?!

+Book
-List
Kelly
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book was very strange and it could be scary for certain children. I would definitely read this alone before you read it with your child to make sure it will not create a new fear of baths. Be sure to read the note on the back of the last page of the book.
Shamekia
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
I didn't mind the crass humor as much (although it was pretty disgusting in parts) as I minded the abrupt ending. I was all set to read about Jackson's adventures with the Bath Monster. But the only thing we get is a bogus goodbye note?!?! WTF, man?!?
Andréa
I'm not really a big believer in scaring children into doing things...
Shallowreader VaVeros
Funny book on what happens if you don't have a bath.
Elisabeth
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you weren't afraid of bathtubs drains - you will be now....
Jenny
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was funny that Jackson, the main character, LOVES getting dirty! --Isaac, 9-years-old
Jill
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-fic
Scary! Just what I want, a book to make young children afraid of taking a bath! Not.
Emily
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun and shorter story, would be good for story time!
Kate
Soooo funny. This will definitely scare kids into having baths all the time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »