Start by marking “Dievų miškas” as Want to Read:
Dievų miškas

Dievų miškas

„Dievų miškas“ — memuarinis lietuvių rašytojo ir poeto Balio Sruogos romanas, parašytas 1945 m. Jame atsispindi rašytojo išgyvenimai nacių Štuthofo koncentracijos stovykloje, į kurią B. Sruoga buvo išsiųstas 1943 m. kovą. Romanas kupinas ironijos ir pasišaipymo iš lagerių tvarkos, elgesio su kaliniais ir apskritai iš visos esamos situacijos, ryški sarkastiška ironija ir ju ...more
320 pages
Published 1989 by Šviesa (first published 1957)

Start your review of Dievų miškas
Povilas Norvaišas
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I would to recommend one Lithuanian book for the foreigner, it would be this one - The Forest of Gods. Its style makes you smile through the tears. The irony is a way of coping with grotesque reality, the only way of keeping sanity. Hands down, one of the best Lithuanian books.
Carina
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of author's Nazi concentration camp experience in Lithuania - but written through a bright lens. Overall one of the most hilarious books I have read. 5+
Linda
Balys Sruoga is one of Lithuania’s literary luminaries of the early 20th century, but despite having specialized in Russian and East European area studies, I had never heard of him until my friend Eduardo reviewed anda recommended Sruoga’s memoir of his experiences in a concentration camp during World War II. The book's blurb describes it as "not only a heart- stirring document but also one of the finest specimens of Lithuanian prose", making it more surprising to me that I hadn't come across it ...more
Eduardo Santiago
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eduardo by: Marija
Painful yet sublime. How Sruoga was able to maintain a gently ribbing tone after his experiences, I will never understand and will hope to carry with me as an example.

Since this is a book you've probably never heard of: Balys Sruoga, prominent Lithuanian intellectual, documents his two years in a Nazi concentration camp. His voice is unique: a sort of tenderly naïve irony, neither accusatory nor hateful, that somehow makes the horrors ever so real while also providing a sort of buffer; allowing
Aarthi Sankar
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended to read this book when I was looking for literature from Lithuania. I enjoyed the wit, intellect and sarcasm that is found inherently in the book. However I did find the last few chapters a little more verbose than I had expected it to be and also felt the wit was slightly lost towards the end. Since it's also one of the few texts that has been translated to English from Lithuania, it's definitely a worthy read.
Jurgita Zoviene
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You can read this book again and again. It/s full of irony, it's full of comedian situations, but the main things lies on the tragedy of people's lives. How long can a simple man feel suffer, how not to become an animal. How to survive and forget your past.
Wonderful book...
Simona Cass
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before reading it, I already knew it might become one of my favourites, and I wasn't disappointed.
It is definitely not an easy read. It's a book that shows you the nasty side of humanity and makes you wonder if any of those people involved in such cruelties were ever human and if so what made them become like this.
It also shows you the best side of humanity and how humans can overcome literally everything using their will power, their humour, and as Sruoga himself said 'just a little bit of luck
Ieva
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Lithuanian books. It shows the tragedy that people have gone through, how all hopes to survive were crushed and because of all the despair the author snatches the irony of the situation. A strong man is who can laugh at himself. Of course some parts of the book makes you laugh so hard you think you will go to hell for that, but all in all it's a great book.
ugné
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I admit, Balys's writing style is unusual. He speaks so ironically about such things like death and hunger and just plain lack of humanity in people. Even though at times it irked me, mostly it gave spark to this book. It made it different and that's why I'm giving it four stars.
Miglė
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mr. Sruoga really knows the art of black humour. Somehow he managed to turn a book about the Nazis into a pleasurable read. Throughout the whole book you can really feel that the writer used humour as a device of survival and it was wonderfully done.
Ričardas
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Probably best work of lithuanian literature. I adore how author deal with stress situations through ironic perspective of view; is author's own unique way to survive in such harsh reality.
Divine comedy.
Stasys Karbauskas
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for choosing the entertaining way of showing the life behind the fence of the Stutthof concentration camp.
Jurgita
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's good to know history and the true. B. Sruoga has a good sarkazm.
Noctvrnal
I really don’t like Lithuanian authors but if I can recommend one book I either would talk about this one or Gintaras Grajauskas’ “Heresy” (though it’s not translated to English).

“Forest of the Gods” talks about WWII and concentration camps. It’s a memoirs, a biography of Stutthof, a dark humor tale about prisoners life while under SS supervision.

It starts as a little introduction to the place where eventually Stutthof gets built . And slowly story transitions to the the beginning of author’s ex
Emilija
I've read this book twice and would read it again if I had enough time. Loved it. As I'm sarcastic person myself the authors view on things is very atracttive to me. And becouse it's his memoirs it was interesting to see how he survived hard times like that.
Dovydas
It had a strong start,the story was going somewhere,sadly it lost a lot of it in the middle towards the end.It felt like a lot of repeat of the same stories just with different names and people who i couldn't even memorize because they were gone as soon as they came. Maybe if it was a little bit shorter towards the middle i would have enjoyed it more.

Overall it's a good read just to see the perspective of someone in that situation and how they mentally deal with it.
Otilija
Vestina Jasunaite
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Guoda Pronckutė
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A grotesque and satirical memoir about the terrors of a concentration camp.
beyka
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am really confused after reading this book. I don't remember more than half of characters and half the stories. There were so many. Too many.

And irony used in this book makes it look cheap. I mean, I sometimes felt as if what happens to author in the book is tolerable for him. I feel like the story of concentration camp should be told more seriously than this.
Narika
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting to finally read this book and I wasn't disappointed! The author did an amazing job and I even laughed sometimes when I knew I shouldn't,but that just proves how good the author was at writing ironically! It's a very excellent book and one of the best Lithuanian ones! Would recommend reading for everybody!
Cindy
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get through this book. The translation was very poor, so the bad grammar and use of incorrect words was frustrating. The story of a man in a concentration camp was a collection of unrelated stories, no plot, and the author had a strange sense of humor.
CinnamonWolf
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, men-authors
The beginning is slow and really does not catch your attention. But once it gets going, you cannot get your eyes off it. The content of the book is phenomenal, it deserves a better edition with no typos (they do get terribly annoying, but the book is well worth the patience).
Andrew
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: lithuanian
Written with a sharp and journalistic style. Personally, I didn't like it as much as other concentration camp memoirs written in other tones of voice.
Gintare
some people are monstrous and cruel and some had to suffer unbearable torments because of them.
Wasim Khan
prisoners of wars in prisons.. their story
Monika
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story fron concretation camp Stutthof.
Simona M
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it's a book that everyone needs to read. it's not an easy read, there is a lot of plots and it is hard to keep up. I struggled with it a lot, but it was worth it.

• Altorių šešėly
  • Anykščių šilelis
  • Vyvenimas
  • Miegančių drugelių tvirtovė
  • Liūdna pasaka
Balys Sruoga (February 2, 1896, near Biržai, Lithuania - October 16, 1947, Vilnius) was a Lithuanian poet, playwright, critic, and literary theorist.

He contributed to cultural journals from his early youth. His works were published by the liberal wing of the Lithuanian cultural movement, and also in various Lithuanian newspapers and other outlets (such as Aušrinė, Rygos Naujienos etc.). In 1914 he

News & Interviews

“Vieną laišką jis man konfiskuoja už tai, kad jame buvo parašyta: „Baisiai nuobodus biznis už surūdijusių vielų sėdėti...”
- Kaip tu drįsti rašyti, kad už surūdijusių vielų sėdi? Ar nieko kita nematai lageryje? ar nematai, berželiai auga?
Vėl jis man sako: - Lauk! - Ir aš einu lauk.
Laišką perrašiau. Rašau: mūsų spygliuotų įelektrintų vielų tvora spindi žaižaruoja kaip sidabrinė, smulkiu cukrumi apibarstyta. Už tvoros matyti trys berželiai, du kelmai ir vienas grybas.”
15 likes
“Viena, kas gera šioje aplinkoje, - kad visiškai išnyksta mirties baimė. Mirtis čionai gresia kiekviename žingsnyje. Čionai taip žmogus apsipranta su mirties perspektyva, kad ji darosi šiokiadienė šiukšlė. Mirtis nustoja savo kilnaus tragizmo elemento. Ji nustoja čionai ir savo lyrizmo.” 7 likes