Start by marking “Mummies Made in Egypt” as Want to Read:
Mummies Made in Egypt

Mummies Made in Egypt

Aliki describes and illustrates the techniques and the reasons for the use of mummification in ancient Egypt.
Published September 25th 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Mummies Made in Egypt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mummies Made in Egypt

Michael Fitzgerald
Packed with information - and attractive illustrations.
Emily
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love aliki
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this over and over and over as a kid with morbid fascination. It's the first place I heard of the brain being pulled out through the nose!
Sara
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and informative. Excellent illustrations. Good explanations.
Kenneth
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st grade history with my 6 year old daughter. We enjoyed this. It shows brains being pulled out through nostrils with hook and intestines through cut in side! (Not in a gore manner) My daughter has been fascinated by ancient history.
Briana
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book as a kid, read it again and realized i had and still have a morbid fascination how the ancient Egyptians myths on mummifying a person.
Winni Ang
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
XIS Grade 3
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3vl-read-to-self
I liked it because it made me interested in Egypt. (Amber)
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mummies Made in Egypt by Aliki Brandenberg describes and illustrates the techniques and reasons for the use of mummification in ancient Egypt. Ancient Egyptians believed that when someone died they would live in their tombs on earth but travel to live with gods and goddesses in another world.

The text is simple with solid information. The text is supplemented by additional information explaining the illustrations. Ceremonial customs, rituals, and symbols are explained and illustrated. An illustr
Anna J.
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-261, nonfiction
Mummies Made in Egypt by Aliki is a nonfiction picture book that describes the process of mummification. The pictures and concepts are clearly defined, making the book very informative and easy to understand. There are a few parts where it is a bit detailed in talking about cutting out organs and such, but, overall, it seems like a decent resource to use when discussing the Egyptian culture and belief system about death and the rituals that went along with mummification. Scholastic recommends th ...more
Ebookwormy1
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ebookwormy1 by: Tapestry of Grace
A fascinating, but sad book. The details of how the mummies were made are wonderful to ponder, but all the information about the motivation for preserving bodies (that the everlasting ba and ka might have a physical body to return to) are heartbreaking. What's even more heartbreaking is that most people living in ancient Egypt couldn't afford to be embalmed, and died thinking their lack of wealth separated them from their eternal destiny.

This is not to say the author/ artist hasn't done an exce
Sarah VanDyke
An interesting book because it describes the embalming and mummification process. I was intrigued to know more and also shocked to read what is involved. I did not know that it took 70 days to do an embalming and that there were many coffins involved. The illustrations depicted paintings and sculptures found in tombs and described the text without being graphic. The book is recommended for grades 2-6, but I would utilize the book in the higher grades of the recommendation due to the topic and de ...more
Evelyn
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
Oh, this book. Can't tell you how much I loved this book (and thrilled to see other people who "wore their covers fuzzy" and wanted to be Egyptologists too!). I got this book at 5 or 6 (nuts to the reviewers who think it's "too creepy" or not good for kids under 13 or even 10!) and proceeded to inform everyone, even my school's headmistress, about mummification for weeks, if not months. I love, love, love this book. I think it helped make me the nerdy history/science/anthropology buff I am today ...more
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-rainbow
I wore the edges of this book fuzzy when I was a kid. I wanted to be an egyptologist and discover lost tombs (until we moved to Texas where is was very hot and I discovered I didn't like the heat - that's it for the desert)! I had delicious kid nightmares about the part where the brains got pulled out through the nose, and being wrapped up forever. I love it! I have a copy for my future-kids' shelf.
Shelem Horton
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feburary
I think it's a great book to teach kids about ancient Egypt. Kids will love to learn about mummies and how they were made and all. It's super interesting, fun to read, and the pictures are awesome. You feel like you're going on a field trip to Egypt! It would be really cool if after reading this book as a class, go to a museum or wrap dolls as if they were mummies. That'll be fun I think.
Toni
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this countless times when I was a kid - there was a copy of it in my second grade class and it was a favorite of mine. I think it was the first text I had read that had described the process of mummification, and I was completely fascinated. Not sure how well it's aged over the years, but definitely a great introduction into Egyptology for kids.
Brent
Available at Carlos Museum Bookshop -

Step by step, follow the process of mummification from the embalmer's slab, where the corpse was made ready, down into the tomb, where the mummy was sealed and sent to its new life in eternity. Written and brightly illustrated by the author of The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus.
Ages 8-12.

$6.95, softcover
Alyssa
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This book was informative and would be good to use when teaching about Egypt. However, I feel like some children may find the process of mummification a little disturbing so I would probably wait to share it until the children are slightly older.
Jenna West
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
I love this book! It is very informative and has great illustrations to go along with the pictures. The text makes reading easy to understand, and gives information in a story-like style. This book makes it fun to learn about mummies!
Heather
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
My kids really enjoyed this (and the Reading Rainbow episode which discusses the book). Has good illustrations with solid information without being disgusting like other mummy books.

We'll use this again for our ancient world studies.
Roxanne
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 6 year old son and I really liked this book. It did a good job explaining how mummies were created and why and what ancient Egyptians thought about the dead. Parts of it were kind of gross (which is always fun) and the book wasn't overly complicated. But we still learned a lot (me too!.
Danelley
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My mom got me this book when I was young and impressionable and I absolutely LOVED it! Of course, it's geared more toward a third grader with a TON of pictures, but a really fascinating book on the mummification process. I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Ruth
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent overview of how mummies are made (with detailed drawings) and where they were buried. My five year old was fascinated with this book and read it many times on her own after I read it to her the first time. Nice illustrations, clear text. Third or fourth grade reading level.
Hillary
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-355
I would love to use this for a social studies unit in my future classroom! Reading it was so much fun because it was not only a good review, but I learned things I never knew! The boys will love the illustrations and gross facts!
Jaclyn
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I liked the visuals to this book a lot! It made me gross out with the Egyptians in the mummifying process, but it got better. I truly thought that it explained the mummy process very clearly step by step. It was a pleasant and captivating read.
Jean-Marie
It has a "Reading Rainbow Book" seal of approval, so you know it's a pretty good book detailing the Ancient Egyptian mummification process.
Rachel
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: february
This book is a little creepy. It showing pictures of dead Egyptians and gives a detailed description of the mummification process. I would safe this subject for 6th grade.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A detailed (and grotesque) description of the process Egyptians went through to preserve the dead via mummification.

Definitely a book for the curious.
Anshika
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not the exact one I read but close. It tells how people are mummified! CUL!!!
Emily Mangina
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: homeschoolers, teachers
Tapestry of Grace - year one - unit one - week two
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • Cleopatra
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Egyptian Mummy!: Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Sharks
  • On the Farm
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Very Last First Time
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Ancient Egypt
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • Temple Cat
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.