Start by marking “Fremder” as Want to Read:
Fremder

Fremder

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
On 4 November 2052 Fremder Gorm is found drifting in space a few megaklicks off Badu, a planet in the Fourth Galaxy. He is the only survivor from Clever Daughter, a battered old tanker. Why did Fremder survive?
Published 2003 by Bloomsbury (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fremder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fremder

MJ Nicholls
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, merkins
This is a straight-up SF piece, filtered through the logoleptic marvellousness of Russell Hoban’s usual style, and staggers around like a drunken novel in search of a less excitable and distracted author. Hoban serves up a dozen SF concepts and words per page (and drops most of them after) and slings literary quotations around like a cashier in a burger bar who has cracked and decides to bring the capitalist empire crashing to its knees by nuking the restaurant in a million squashed cow remnants ...more
Mark
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Existentialist science fiction, with a funny touch and a bit of Old Testament philosophizing. Which doesn't really describe the book very well, since it's really about a lost man discovering small truths about his strange and broken family.
Alex
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I can't decide whether this is a work of visionary genius, or a virtually incoherent shambles.
Terry Mark
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a sad day when I finished this book as I knew I'd read all his other novels and there wouldn't be any others to come. But this was typical Hoban, bonkers and very imaginative with a few chuckles on the way. On the back of this book there is a quote from The Sunday Times ' Mr Hoban is unclassifiable, thank goodness. He is an original, imaginative and inventive' how true that is.
Martin Willoughby
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is what happens when people tell you how wonderful you are and then publish the resulting rubbish.
Nigel McFarlane
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Weird, fragmented, lonely and melancholy. More than a passing resemblance to Philip K Dick. Not sure if my rating does it justice: I suspect it has depths which I have totally failed to appreciate.
Shane Malone
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Holding on to the world is mostly an act of faith: you see a little bit of it in front of you and you believe in the rest of it both in time and space."

Russell Hoban's Fremder uses the imaginative technology of "flickering" to explore existential experiences of both an everyday relatable nature and the extremes of the horrific.

You don't so much as read as you tumble through the first half as Hoban recreates the disorientating nature of Fremder's somewhat schizophrenic experiences. The language
Gary Murning
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Not my usual kind of read. Whilst Hoban is not, I believe, generally known as a science fiction writer, this novel does have science fiction overtones. I would not, however, describe it as a science fiction novel -- more a literary novel using science fiction motifs to cleverly and entertainingly explore the nature of "being".

Completely believable narrator and a clever, disturbing and often witty plot.
Vinton Bayne
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suggested-to-me
I sped through the first few chapters, not really trying to grasp much. The story jumped a lot or should I reference the story and say 'flickered', which means it was probably on purpose that the author structured it that way.

I soon found myself very interested in the story and where it was going. It created environment very well. The story exercises your imagination and pulls your senses along. Very submersing.

Nadya
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub
I just did not understand the first 30% of this at all! Which considering it is a short book, is a bit of a shame. It picked up after that, when I figured out a sort of plot and some characters. I think I'd like to read it again. Reminded me of a less funny, less coherent, more science-y Douglas Adams. Which is alright.
Justin Howe
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A science fiction novel where the spaceships are powered by Existentialism, Beat poetry, and the Old Testament (in particular the Book of Kings). Fragments a bit at the end, but I loved it. Mythic, comic, and full of wonderful prose, it's also short, only 190 pages.
Lindsay
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A very odd and disquieting science fiction novel.
Ben
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I need to re-read this.
Andrew Plasom-Scott
Jul 30, 2011
Dave Clipson
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2013
  • Strandloper
  • The Reproductive System
  • Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick It to the Man
  • Vermilion Sands
  • Fire Down Below (To the Ends of the Earth, #3)
  • The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Volume 1: The Ultimate Egoist
  • Golem 100
  • Athena (The Freddie Montgomery Trilogy, #3)
  • Diary of a Very Bad Year: Confessions of an Anonymous Hedge Fund Manager
  • The Birthday Boys
  • The Slave Girl
  • Store of the Worlds: The Stories of Robert Sheckley
  • Take a Girl Like You
  • Dark Benediction
  • Simulacron 3
  • George Orwell Omnibus: The Complete Novels: Animal Farm, Burmese Days, A Clergyman's Daughter, Coming up for Air, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, and Nineteen Eighty-Four
  • The Maze of the Enchanter
Russell Conwell Hoban was an American expatriate writer. His works span many genres, including fantasy, science fiction, mainstream fiction, magical realism, poetry, and children's books. He lived in London, England, from 1969 until his death. (Wikipedia)