Start by marking “Jelly Belly” as Want to Read:
Jelly Belly

Jelly Belly

It's tough for eleven-year-old Ned to stop eating. At four-feet-eight inches tall he weighs one hundred and nine pounds, and he keeps growing--wider. When his pareents send him to a summer diet camp, he and his bunkmates can't quite give up their old habits. The joys of candy and doughnuts are so appealing that "cheating" adventures seems to be the only answer. The problem ...more
Published March 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1981)

Izze Brand
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very good. The Grandma shows forgiveness because she forgives Ned after the hurtful words he said. She also shows love because when everyone else was mean to Ned about his weight, she showed Ned and proved to him that she will love him no matter what he weighs.
Apzmarshl
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this the first time in fifth grade......I know this because I found my fifth grade teacher's name in the front cover. I kept the book and I'm not sorry. She wasn't ver nice. But I did enjoy the book then and now. I read it recently to the kids. We were looking for something with less substance than Call of the Wild (yuck).
My kids thought it was funny to find out how the boys stashed junk food at fat camp, and the whole book just made me hungry. I'm sure that wasn't the author's intended
Mr. Gottshalk
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4th-grade-books
This is a terrific book for studying social issues. Ned's choice to TRY and lose weight is the hardest part for him, and without giving any spoilers, I want any future reader out there to know that the book is worth reading on so many levels. I read this one about...30 years ago, got an autograph from Robert Kimmel Smith somehow, and am so glad I picked it up again. Really terrific for 4th/5th grade readers. Funny, on-point, thematic, and, of course, has problems that must be faced.
Best Fat Camp Book Ever. I borrowed this one from my church library and just never returned it. Sorry, Mrs. Bergin.
Natalie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book perhaps 20 years ago. I remember I got it at a Goodwill or one of those thrift stores. To this day it remains one of my favorite kid books. I recently thought about it and decided to pick it up again. I'd read it so many times as a kid, so almost no part of the story was foreign to me, however, I enjoyed it immensely all the same.

It's nice to read the reviews and know I'm not the only one that's now an adult who re-read this book and liked it just as much now as we did bac
Aaron
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-ir-books
Gabriel
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another book (in addition to Writing and Selling Science Fiction) whose title I've forgotten for years and only remembered today.

I'm rating the book four stars based on my nine-year-old self's opinion of it; I have no idea what I'd rate it as a seventeen-year-old with somewhat more "sophisticated" tastes. (I also read Jelly Belly--and The Kid Who Ran For President--in a thrift store, so it's not as if I brought it home and re-read it over and over, as with The BFG or Chester Cricket's New Home,
Manaia
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I thought about this book is that it was very enjoyable and funny to read. This book made me think of my own parents, not because they would send me to a camp only for fat kids like Ned,because they love him for who he is he just really needs to watch what he is eating. One of my favorite characters that were in it was the grandma it also reminds me of my grandma that always tells us to keep on eating all of the sweets that she makes for us. Jelly Belly is a good book for younger ages and ...more
Katie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now finished "jelly belly" by Robert Kimmel Smith. this enlightening tale is about a boy named ned who is the skinniest kid in his family until his grandma cooked for them. now he is 4'8" and 118 pounds. the kids at shool call him "jelly belly" and his parents send him to fat camp. there, he was unsuccessful, but later on, he really did want to be skinny, and he was determined to lose weight, AND stand up to the school bully who started the whole nicknaming mess.
Patricia
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donna
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Overweight Ned, nicknamed 'Jelly Belly', is forced to attend a fat camp.

This book held up amazingly well for a re-read as an adult! Ned was a great character. He's realistic - he's afraid of the local bully and admits it and doesn't magically become strong enough to stick up for himself. He loves his grandma, but realizes that her way of expressing her love through baking and packing his lunch with double meals is hurting him. There are some great messages about standing up for yourself and grow
Veronica
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved This Book!!!

I had read this book when I was younger & to read it as an adult has bought so many memories back to me! I gave this book 4 stars because it was an excellent book for any kid trying to lose weight. It's a book about a young boy's journey to lose weight. Once Ned made his mind up to commit to losing weight...then he does just that! I Loved the relationship between Ned &his family too! Very good and easy book to read! It's a story about mind over matter & how anyone
Ken
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as wonderful at 46 years old as the first time I read it when I was in 4th grade

Still totally relevant, my daughter in 6th grade is reading it with me! I recommend this funny, sad and ultimately uplifting book
Stacy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot as a kid and just re-read it. It made me really hungry which was not the point but it was a quick and fun read.
Heather
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up at a library book sale because I vaguely remembered reading it in elementary school. It’s a great story for anyone who’s ever felt like “the fat kid”
Erin
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite childhood books and I reread it today before giving it to my kids. When this book was written, being fat was an anomaly, unlike today when obesity is the norm. This book follows Nathaniel on his journey to understanding why and how he became fat and eventually how to fix it. He comes to the realization that it is only himself he is cheating. Excellent book for kids and should be read by everyone in the fat acceptance movement who is kidding themselves that their weight ...more
Habiba
Mar 04, 2015 added it
Jelly Belly is nickname for fat boy called Nathaniel Robbins, and he has a lot of nickname. Nathaniel like to eat to mush especially his grandmother's cook. And his weigh more than his mother weigh. He go to camp to less his weigh.

I think Robert Kimmel Smith is a good writer. Because he doesn't only tells us the story, he but some dialogue in the book to tell you how the parents convinces his sun to go to the camp, not like "his parent convinces him to go to the camp".
Riley
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love jelly belly and how he can not loss enough weight so he has to go to camp lean-to. He is so desprit to have something besides camp lean-to's food and so he eats white bread and cheese even though he does not like it. So finaly he tells his grandma to stop feeding him so much food and starts to lose weight.
LinBee
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a bit of inspiration.
Shelves: 2010-2011
I first read this when I was about Neddie's age, and just remembered it the other day. So, I re-read it. I must say I enjoyed it the second time, 15 years or so later. It's an inspiration to anyone who knows they are overweight, that they should lose, and just don't have the motivation. Cute, and a fast read. I'll probably re-read it again and again!
Sammantha
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Sammantha by: Second grade teacher
Shelves: children-books
This is a younger childhood favorite!! :) I remember my teacher from second grade reading this book to us, I was so into it! I read it again myself and just loved this book so much! I will never forget it! This book will be an everlasting memory. I recommend this book to children, such a wonderful children's read!! It's silly and witty! :)
Indah W
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ini buku bagus lho karena mengupas permasalahan anak2 yang overweight, and kenapa some of them itu berhasil menurunkan berat badan for good sementara yang lainnya ituu selalu aja tiap tahun kembali terus ke kamp pengurusan, ahahaha..

*mungkin perlu ngikutin step2 yang dilakukan si Ned untuk menurunkan berat badannya :D*
Matthew Alexander
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book growing up. Read it 10+ times.
Annaleely Leely
i was upset. i wanted him to be able to eat his grandmother's egg bread and lose weight.
Bobbie
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought that the book was crazy.
Amy
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another childhood favorite I reread with the kids. Good lessons in it, even though I had to reword a few curses in there. The kids both loved it.
Simon
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Another one of those Robert Kimmel Smith books...

You may know that I had this one year when I was absolutely obbssesed with his books.
Mike Strong
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book as a kid
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly accurate tale of a young boy's battle with the bulge. Despite the cheesy name, this is a decent book. The characters have depth and all is (realistically) not smooth sailing.
Farha
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i read this 5 times in fourth grade. gahh i<3it to death it was so funny!
Rachel
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
funny,crazy,and cool
  • A Girl Called Al
  • How Do You Lose Those Ninth Grade Blues?
  • The Invisible Dog
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • That Girl Lucy Moon
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Town
  • The Great Mom Swap
  • Boys Against Girls (Boy/Girl Battle, #3)
  • Chato and the Party Animals
  • Greatest Skating Race: A World War II Story from the Netherlands
  • The Quicksand Pony
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
Robert Kimmel Smith began dreaming of becoming a writer at the age of eight, when he spent three months in bed reading while recovering from rheumatic fever. He enrolled in Brooklyn College in 1947, and served in the U.S. Army, in Germany, from 1951-1953. In 1954 he married Claire Medney, his editor and literary agent. They have two children: Heidi (1962) and Roger (1967). After writing advertisin ...more