Start by marking “Clifford Takes A Trip” as Want to Read:
Clifford Takes A Trip

Clifford Takes A Trip

(Clifford the Big Red Dog)

Lonely when his family goes on vacation without him, Clifford, a giant red dog, overcomes wet cement, traffic jams, and toll bridges to rejoin them in the mountains.
Published January 1st 1992 by Cartwheel (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford Takes A Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford Takes A Trip

Angieleigh
My parents bought this for my nephew for Christmas. I have always loved Clifford and am delighted my nephew enjoyed reading about Clifford's trip to find his family on vacation!
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Emily Elizabeth should know better than to play with bear cubs while she's camping, that's sure to make the mama bear angry. The part I really thought was strange though was that the mama bear suddenly turns nice because Clifford gives her babies back to her. Confusing, is the lesson to stay away from bears in the woods or to befriend them?
Courtney
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I love reading novels to my children, especially when they are ones that promote more reading to my kids, because they relate to something that they already know and enjoy- like a popular kid's TV show. However, I have found that the older my son gets, the more he's beginning to realize when they just don't make since.

The ending in each of these Clifford stories were abrupt and sudden, and some of the things that Emily E. and Clifford were doing just didn't make since (like playing with bear cu
Paige
Jun 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: 25-picture-books
Emily Elizabeth ia going to her last day of school and is talkign about a summer trip her and her family is going on. Unfortunately, they can not take Clifford, he is just too big for travel. The neighbors are going to watch him while they are away. When Emily and her family left, Clifford got very lonely. He eventually went seraching for Emily, going through all sorts of crazy adventures on his way such as a bear. Clifford got to stay at the camp once he got there.
Terri Zumbahlen
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book is a good book for early readers. The text is appropriate for early readers with pictures that help tell what is happening in the story. Children will find the story engaging and easy to comprehend.
Cara
Clifford is much too big to fit into a car to go on a trip, but he doesn't like that he's left behind when his favorite girl goes on vacation and tracks them down and ends up saving her life. Now, they won't leave Clifford behind when they go away.
Cathy

Classic Clifford!
juan turrubiartes
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fnghfnfjfh
Heather
I think this might be too long, but it works for my storytimes on travel and camping.
Josephine Burks
Simple sentences that are perfect for beginner readers.
Melissa C
Sweet
Robert John
Jun 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: pic-book
Clifford cannot go on long trips. He had to stay at the neighbors while his family went on a trip. He goes looking for his family. He finds his owners camping.
Kristen
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was a solid Clifford book, but nothing special stood out to me. Clifford was left at home for a trip. He was unhappy about it so he took off after them. For Clifford lovers, it's a fun book, but I didn't take a whole lot away from this particular story.
Jenn Swanson
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quickie, children, fiction
Clifford's family decide to go on vacation and leave him with the neighbor. However, he is not having that and sets out to find his family. The story was entertaining and my daughter enjoyed it as well. Would recommend.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
We are huge Clifford fans in our home. I remember first falling in love with this fantastic big red dog when I was in second, and I absolutely love that Scholastic continues to introduce young readers to Clifford.

Clifford isn't one to be left behind, and when Emily Elizabeth and her family head out for a weekend camping trip, Clifford is heartbroken. He quickly finds himself making his way to Emily Elizabeth. Along the way Clifford ends up helping people who need it, including Emily. This is a
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clifford Takes A Trip by Norman Bridwell
Audio version so I am not seeing the colorful pictures.
Emily has a dog, Clifford. It's the last day of school and she's happy that she'll be able to play with her dog.
Trips are hard to do with Clifford because of his big size. The year before they left him with a neighbor as the rest of the family was on a trip without him.
He set out to find them but he got into a lot of trouble....and you wonder if he will ever find them...
I received this book from Nation
Jane
Clifford Takes a Trip is the tale of how Clifford found his family when they went on vacation without him. He helped a man on the way and didn't let a difficult trip stop him from finding his family and then saved the day and made new friends. All of these are good lessons to bring into a discussion about the story to the children after reading the book to them, making it a good learning experience.
Ali
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I read another one of the cute kohl's cares books while it was slow at the register! this was was adorable! and I liked it more than the beach ball one! and it reminded me even more of my childhood, when I would watch and read clifford books! a great story! and such a fun book for kids! I hope one day that when I get married and have kids they will like clifford too!
Rosa Cline
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, camping, 2016, kids
This is a 'classic' Clifford story. One of which I remember reading when I was a small child, loving it then and enjoying it now with my children and granddaughter.

Clifford is lonely when his family goes on a vacation camping. So he sets out looking for them. His adventures along the way and arriving in time to help Emily Elizabeth.
Lauren
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Clifford books! Shows how strong the friendship is with Clifford and his family as he goes so far to find them. Fun book and shows how mother bears are protective and different people can be friends when they do the right thing
Pamela Powell
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember my mom reading Clifford books to me when I was small. It's a delight to read them with my grandson. In this one, Clifford gets left behind when the family takes a trip. But Clifford decides to catch up with them.
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
This book would be a fabulous summer vacation book. The family goes on vacation and Cliffords tries to track them down, while going on his own andverntures. It would get students talking abot what they're doing for summer vacation.
Angela Hutchinson
The family is going on a trip, but they leave Clifford behind. Clifford gets depressed and sets out to find his family. I read this to students during a small reading groups.
Andd Becker
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Emily Elizabeth tells about last year, when Clifford stayed with a neighbor.
Clifford's journey reveals the persistence and loyalty of EE's beloved dog.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The typical family road trip takes on a different meaning when Clifford goes along. This was funny and full of accidents. I read this while waiting in a doctor's office.
Leslie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I enjoy the Clifford books. My three year old son really loves these books!
BookCupid
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved the images on this one.
Chad Olson
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Jude book #254: Clifford tracks down the family on vacation.
Nicolas
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Kind of a dud. This plot is repeated many times in the series.

• Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Dora's Book of Manners (Dora the Explorer, #5)
  • The Best Teacher Ever (The New Adventures of Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Goose Chase (Henry and Mudge, #23)
  • Dora Goes to School (Dora the Explorer, #8)
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
Norman Bridwell was an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He lived on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he wrote an average of two books a year.

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy