Start by marking “Welcome to the Jungle” as Want to Read:
Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle

(The Dresden Files Graphic Novels #0.5)

When the supernatural world spins out of control, when the police can’t handle what goes bump in the night, when monsters come screaming out of nightmares and into the mean streets, there’s just one man to call: Harry Dresden, the only professional wizard in the Chicago phone book. A police consultant and private investigator, Dresden has to walk the dangerous line between ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 168 pages
Published October 21st 2008 by Del Rey/Dabel Brothers (first published October 14th 2008)

Start your review of Welcome to the Jungle
Tina Haigler
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Story: 5 stars!
Art: 5 stars!

That was really good! This is a prequel to the first novel in the Dresden Files series. I haven't read any of the novels so I went into this knowing nothing. I was pleasantly surprised. The story was interesting and engaging. The mythology was unique. It also had the best art I've seen in a while.

This graphic novel is definitely worth picking up if you like fantasy and mythology. Now I'm excited and looking forward to reading the novels :)
HBalikov
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I like the Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher. So when I saw that Butcher had written a graphic novel, I was interested in seeing how well the images that Butcher created in my head were represented with Adrian Syaf's artistry.

Don't be put off by the dust jacket image (like I was). This is the only image that was not created by Syaf and it is way different from the well-crafted drawing that accompanies the story.

The story, on the other hand, is something you may find Dresden-lite. Harry is bro
Chad
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A pretty great prequel to the Dresden Files. Harry investigates some murders at the zoo which of course, were NOT animal attacks. The story is simplified enough to fit in four issues. You do get introductions to Harry and Det. Murphy along with the wizarding world of Chicago. Jim Butcher wrote this. He does a good job of setting up the same vibe found in the books, so if you liked this, you should check out the Dresden Files. It's one of my favorite book series.
Mario
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not as good as the books, but still really fast and fun read! Only wish there was more Bob in it, but Dresden was hilarious as usual, so I couldn't give it any less than 5 stars.

Would recommend to anyone who's fan of the series.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Wow. This was so fun to read. I am a fan of the Dresden Files urban fantasy series, and it's wonderful to get some visuals to go along with the prose. Butcher wrote the foreword, and he said he was very happy with the way Harry comes out, that he'd always visualized Harry Dresden in this medium, since he grew up as a huge comic book fan. I'd tend to agree. I think the artist did an excellent job of capturing Harry and also Karrin Murphy and Carmichael. He captures Harry's physicality as well as ...more
Anne
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this would really have been all that great if I wasn't such a huge fan of the Dresden Files.
But I am. So it was.

description

In other words, don't trust my rating, because I'm not sure if it was any good or not.
That's how much I love Harry.
Kat
Basic Plot: When bodies begin piling up at a zoo, it's up to Harry Dresden to figure out what supernatural beastie is responsible and stop it before things get worse.

Graphic novels are definitely a different medium than traditional novels. When I first heard that these books were coming out I was worried that they wouldn't capture the characters and their attitudes effectively. This book definitely has the Harry Dresden sarcasm I know and love, though. Harry looks considerably less scruffy than
Nicole
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Harry fans
Recommended to Nicole by: julia Andersen
First read 28 December, 2009. Re-read 28 January, 2012. (The 28s are just a coincidence.) Re-read 31 October, 2013--the last few years, I like to celebrate Halloween with some Harry D. Happy birthday, pal.

A 4 star read in terms of graphic novels, although very simple and streamlined in comparison to any of the regular Dresden novels. A fun, quick read.
Turns out Butcher was inspired to write Harry in part by his love of comic books and characters like Peter Parker. It makes sense. This is a nice
Melanie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at BooksOfMyHeart.net.

This graphic novel is a prequel to The Dresden File series. It is set just before the events of Storm Front, book one. Here, Harry is called in to help CPD Sergeant Murphy investigate a strange murder at the zoo. It appears that gorilla killed a man, but the gorilla is in its enclosure. What gorilla will lock itself back into an enclosure after killing a man? It just doesn’t make sense.

This was a fun story. I always love to see Harry Dresden in acti
Chris
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was very cool to get this episode of the Dresden Files in graphic novel comic form. The art was fantastic, really bringing Harry and Murphy (and Bob and Mister) to life.

I'm also glad that Butcher wrote the story himself. The voice was right. So often a graphic interpretation loses the author's special touch.

And of course, this cool little story of the wizard named Harry makes me want to pick up the next Dresden Files novel.

Nicely done, Jim.
The Flooze
Welcome to the Jungle is a prequel story to the Dresden Files, showing one of Harry’s earlier cases for Murph. The story is a little thin, but interesting nonetheless. The illustrations of Harry and the other characters are in line with my own imaginings, although the wizard is a little sterner-looking than he might be. There were also a few continuity issues (a missing staff here, missing glasses there).

What I found most distracting were the boxes detailing Harry’s inner monologue. Since the b
Ivy
5 stars

Awesome comic book. Nice to see a story in the world of The Dresden Files in comic book form. Hags look very creepy. Glad Harry was able to stop them. Wonder if Will will show up again later in the series. Law of the Jungle always prevails. Also glad that Moe didn't die and was able to back with his family. RIP Dr. Reese and others. Very weird comic book too. Would be scary if the supernatural world existed. Can't wait to read more books in the Dresden Files series!!!!!
Patricia
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This could be either a teen or adult graphic novel, since the Dresden Files fiction titles are considered to be adult titles. But if you are a fan, you will want to read this first graphic novel of the Dresden Files, particularly since it's an original story that takes place before his first title Storm Front.

Although there is a lot of violence, it is not very explicit, which makes it more acceptable for teen readers. Since I am an avid fan of the series, I enjoyed it, and particularly liked Bu
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, adult
Not bad, but not really as engaging to me as the rest of the series. The story is good, the portrayal of the characters is acceptable- i.e. nothing wrong but tough to compare with the images in my head- and the art decent. I like my version of Murphy a litle better- a little rounder in the face, smaller, more compact, with shorter hair- which makes the contrast with some of her attitudes greater and thus more fun. But in all cases, none of the characters are blatantly wrong, such as sticking a h ...more
Cale
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. It's an interesting story, a precursor to the novels that sets up some of the characters. The actual story, about unpleasant doings at a zoo, was fun and it definitely felt like the novels. The art was pretty good too - Dresden looks just like you'd expect. It's shallower than the novels, as it has to be, but still a good story for the series.
Mitchell
A pretty straight conversion from text to graphic novel. Not bad writing, not bad art. Dresden and Murphy should both have been thinner. Dresden should have been taller. Magic was handled pretty well and story was not a bad one. The Blue Beetle should have been way more battered. All in all not a bad start. 3.5 of 5.
Rumana Nasrin
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Wow! Dresden is exactly the way I'v pictured him! It was really a good read.
Venus Maneater
I have no idea how this comic came to be in my house, as it's

1) In Dutch, and I prefer to read comics in English
2) Part of the Dresden universe and I have little love for those books (although people insist on telling me that really the next book will really kick the series off, just read the next book! (Dresden fans have been telling me this since the first part and I'm still waiting)

There's no price scribbled on the first pages, so I couldn't have bought it second hand...and there isn't a stic
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Right off the bat I want to say how much I enjoyed this graphic novel. It opened a door for me that I didn’t expect to go through. I have heard of Jim Butcher and seen his novels on the NYT Bestseller Lists but had not given any of them a chance. What a big mistake. The graphic novel straightened all misconceptions of his characters and his writing style out for me. I am now a huge fan. Ardian Syaf did the artwork and is an awesome collaboration.
The main character, for the uninitiated like mysel
Julianna
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy or Mystery Graphic Novels; The Dresden Files
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Welcome to the Jungle was another enjoyable short story in the Dresden Files series, this time in graphic novel format. I rarely read graphic novels, but have to say that this one was quite fun. It was kind of like reading a movie or watching a book.:-) The illustrations were very appealing and complimented the text perfectly. They also expressed the emotion and action of the scenes quite well. The illustrator, Ardian Syaf is billed as a rising star in the comic book worl
Mike
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dresden fans
I recently decided to start reading through the "essential" graphic novels, mostly because I was getting a little bored with the novel I was reading and was looking for a break. While looking for a different title at the library, I came across Welcome to the Jungle. Being a big Dresden fan, I had heard of the novel before, but I had never read it. In fact, I think it's the only published Dresden literature that I had not read...so I had to pick it up.

The bottom line, Welcome to the Jungle plays
lynne naranek
May 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Jim Butcher admits in the introduction that in his head, Harry Dresden plays out in comic book / graphic novel form, and so he's really excited about the opportunity to "translate" his books into this medium. "Welcome to the Jungle" is a made-for-graphic-novel prequel to Storm Front, in celebration -- and anticipation of -- the books ebing converted into graphic novel form.

I don't appreciate this medium as much as I do a regular, good old book, I admit. However, it doesn't detract from an all-t
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I wish I'd never set eyes on this piece of rubbish. Any fan of Harry should stay very far away from this graphic novel (more like a graphic short story). The story is terrible and boring, the illustrations awkward and Harry is embarrassing, there's nothing adorable or vulnerable about him. His self-deprecating just sounds like a lie. There is no subtext, no using your imagination and little even looks as it is described in the books. But worst of all, it's ultra sexist. Disgusting. It's like the ...more
Jim Gorman
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
OK, just a short pre-series graphic novel from Jim Butcher. Its a simple Harry Dresden story, set in a zoo. I won't say too much about it, but it was enjoyable to a fan of the series. I forget where I got it, but I am glad to have it on my shelves.
Anthony
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it

Eh, for 4 issues I figured that there would be more story. The art is great and the story is original, but I was expecting more...
Mandy | books_tea_and_owls
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The art work is beautiful and very colorful; the story - very engaging!

Wish I read this before ‘Storm Front’, but this graphic novel was pretty on point with how I imagined the characters while reading the book. This graphic novel makes me want to go back to continue reading the books.
Alondra Miller
3.5 Stars

The early Harry Dresden, aahhh the memories. This is the tame stuff compared to later books, besides it is one of the first graphic novels.

This is a fantastic series; I hope the graphic novels do it justice.
Gina
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love me some Dresden Files and this did not disappoint!! I loved the artwork and all the characters were awesome!!
Shaun Duke
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm familiar with Butcher's Dresden Files, but I've never read any of the books. Reading the graphic novel, thus, became my first Dresden experience, and it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Welcome to the Jungle follows none other than the infamous Harry Dresden, sorcerer extraordinaire turned mystical detective, as he takes on yet another case: a brutal murder at the Chicago zoo with too many unanswered questions for the poor Chicago PD to handle; that's why they've called Dresden, because his specialty

• Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • The Expanse Origins: Alex Kamal
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Wild Card #1
  • Parallel Worlds: The Heroes Within
  • Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess' Stardust #1
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory (The Murderbot Diaries, #4.5)
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures vol 1
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Sea Wall / A Life
  • Death: The High Cost of Living #1
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files Graphic Novels (10 books)
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 1: The Gathering Storm
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 2
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: War Cry
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Down Town
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card (Series Omnibus, Signed Limited Edition)
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Dog Men