Start by marking “Traction: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth” as Want to Read:
Traction: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth

Traction: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  4,260 Ratings  ·  257 Reviews
In Traction, serial entrepreneurs Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares give startups the tools for generating explosive customer growth

'Anyone trying to break through to new customers can use this smart, ambitious book'
Eric Ries, author of The Lean Startup

Most startups don't fail because they can't build a product. Most startups fail because they can't get traction.

Building a
Published October 29th 2015 by Portfolio Penguin (first published August 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Traction, please sign up.

Sadra Aliabadi
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 97
اگه علاقه مند به راه انداختن کسب و کار هستید به نظرم این کتاب خوندش واجبه. انی که تاحالا ترجمه نشده یکم عجیبه برام.
تک تک برگه هاش میتونن دلار بشن برن تو حسابتون.
Lucas Carlson
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traction. Ah, just the sound of the word alone makes my spine tingle. Traction, it seems, can forgive all sins. With enough of it, investors will commit even if you haven’t figured out your team or how you will make money. So why is it that so many founders sit on their hands and just hope that their product takes off?

Ignorance. Most founders don’t know how to get traction for their startups and so they blindly double down on building a great product. They don’t know what investors mean when ask
Neil Soni
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking a book with concrete traction tactics, this is the bible. Most books will give you some loose "advice" but this goes into granular detail in a way that's easy to understand for beginners but still super valuable to people who've been in the game for awhile. Awesome job Gabriel and Justin!
Preslav Rachev
If you've got one book to read about building startup growth, let it be this one. I started reading it together with Peter Thiel's "Zero to One", but found myself spending almost my entire time time going back in forth around "Traction". What I love about the book are the applicable tips and advice, which spring right from every chapter. The book does not tell a magical recipe for bringing in a million customers overnight. In all honesty, there is no such recipe. What the book does though is sum ...more
Mahdi Nasseri
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تمام تکنیک ها و کارهایی که میشه برای جذب کاربر انجام داد، تو این کتاب یک جا جمع و ارائه شده لطفا قبل از خواندن این کتاب استارتاپ تون رو لانچ نکنید. همین.
Peter
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traction
As a startup founder coming mainly from the technology side, I needed a good practical hands-on guide to go beyond the overwhelming number of generic sales and marketing books. The value in this book is that while we know the general principles of sales & marketing it’s great to have a resource that provides scope, structure and a methodology for identifying and testing the most impactful traction channels for a company – particularly a new start. I used the methodology internally wi
د.أمجد الجنباز
من الكتب الرائعة التي تعطيك جميع الطرق التسويقة المتاحة لتسوق مشروعك الناشئ
لن تجد طريقة تخطر على بالك إلا وموجودة ضمن الـ ١٩ طريقة التي ذكرها الكتاب
ابتداء من تحسين مستوى البحث عن منتجك في محركات البحث، مرورو بالدعايات في الانترنت والشوارع والتلفزيونات
وانتهاء بالمؤتمرات والمعارض والخطب

والكتاب يذكر ميزات ومساوئ كل من هذه الطرق وتكاليفها، ويذكر امثلة لمشاريع ناشئة استخدمت هذه الطرق ونجحت بسببها
مثل
Evernote, Yelp, Zynga, Twitter, Youtube, etc.

الكتاب مرجعي ورائع ولابد من قراءته لمن يريد أن يتعلم تسويق
Dave
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traction opens with a framework called Bullseye. The idea behind Bullseye is to test a number of growth channels, and quickly figure out which can help your business move the needle. To that end, the authors provide an in-depth look at 19 different growth channels, aided by interviews with people who have successfully used those channels to get traction.

It's a simple book and quick read, but I've already found it very helpful in thinking about strategic growth and critical paths.
Markiyan
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical book for a fresh look at your go-to-market strategies & tactics. Good examples, to-the-point material. Really glad I stumbled upon it, gave me a lot of ideas how to improve my own business.
Chris
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for start-up founders and early staged employees trying to figure out how to go to market with a certain product / business. The authors provide a great method for how to figure out the best sales & marketing (or 'traction') channels for your business ('Bullseye Method'). The Bullseye Method consists of effectively running tests on the 19 different traction channels available to businesses to find the best ONE for you.

The authors then lay out the nineteen different traction chann
Katerina Trajchevska
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startups
The best marketing book I've ever read. Concise, easy to follow and to the point. I highly recommend Traction to any entrepreneur or marketer.

This book will help you define your marketing strategy and improve it over time until you get to a stage where you start to notice your traction. The main point it revolves around is taking actions that make your needle move. Meaning, as long as your marketing strategy moves your business forward, you're on the right track. Through constant testing and im
Michał Śmiałko
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A list of very actionable tactics for getting traction. The book won’t teach you unique tactics but rather show popular ways that other startups had used before. Nevertheless, I think it’s a good starting point for most businesses.
Andrew Flynn
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great compilation of various ways for startups to utilize marketing channels to churn out growth. Some were better than others, and some I knew while others I didn't. Overall it was great feeling ether being refreshed or enlightened on these different pathways, and the book is a good jumping point for marketers looking to gain traction for their businesses.
Jina
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
This is a great intro to the landscape of digital marketing, channel by channel. I thought there were a lot of interesting things in it, but I was also exhausted by the sheer number of things to think about by about halfway through. I'm glad to not be an early-stage marketer at a startup. The library loan ran out so I haven't finished it, although I might someday.
Evan Clark
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for anyone working (or aspiring to one day work) within an ambitious startup.
Cristian Moisei
Full of buzz words, annoyingly monotonous and only mildly useful. In my opinion, the only two valuable things I in this book are the list of 'traction' channels, and a few good suggestions for some of them, which I'll attached below.

Nevertheless, it is not a long or difficult and I believe it is worthwhile investing the time to read it.

The author suggests aiming to dedicate 50% of resources to product and 50% to distribution (or what he calls traction).

_______________________

Alicia Fox
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Useless.

This was a ridiculous waste of my reading time. It's a collection of tips which are largely irrelevant to the target audience. I don't understand its other good reviews. To me, if you're at the point where the information here is applicable to you, you don't need this book; if you're starting out, it's not applicable. Hmm...so maybe its target audience is people working in start-ups which are beginning to see moderate success. That makes sense. Still, a lot of the advice is "just do A/B/
Alejandro V. Betancourt
This book is a must read for everyone working in a Start Up.

'Most Start Ups don't fail because of their product, they fail because they don't gain traction.'

Weinberg dissects 19 different traction channels, summing up key terminology, tools and tactics, case studies from the real world. He also outlines a simple methodology to test and implement them. Every page is packed with actionable advice. A compresensive marketing crash course that will help everyone identify which strategy is best for th
Astrid Paramita
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe if you're really up to date with the latest marketing and user growth effort, you won't be needing this book.

Otherwise, it's a gem! It explained the possible ways for startups to gain traction, explaining that there are no "one strategy for all" and it even depends on what's your traction goal and your own stage.

I could see myself coming back to this book over in the next months and years as I'm going through my own stages. Totally recommended for my fellow founders!!
Rian Merwe
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The four stars are for the first 5 chapters. The rest of the book can easily be skimmed, but there are some really good ideas and things to try in those first few chapters. I like the Bullseye framework, and I like how well it all fits into Lean methodology without too much wiggling and squeezing. If you're able to hold your nose and read past words like "utilize" and "move the needle", I'd say the first 40 pages is well worth your time.
Jose Papo
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read if you want to deeply understand marketing, growth hacking and traction strategies in the new digital age. The first five chapters are a great work on how to implement a lean and experimentation system to test and learn the best traction tactics to implement. The other chapters are the meat of the book. Each is about a specific traction tactic and how to implement it. Read it to learn how to grow your startups, app or business!
Quinn
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thefindsite.com roadmap to obtaining traction!

As an experienced entrepreneur, Mr Weinberg focuses in on the essential element for any business,not just startups...ready, willing , and able consumers. Until you have these people you don't actually have a business. Therefore this book provides critical insight into achieving customer growth. Easy to understand and execute, this book will be read by future Mark Zuckerbergs!
Andreea
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical advice on how to test and decide on which growth channels to focus on in a particular stage of your business. The book is concise and the examples it provides can trigger your imagination.
Valentin Cristea
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I really liked the way this book is structured. It is super concise and full of examples. I had no idea there are so many channels and it really sparked a few ideas while reading it.
Josh Steimle
A good book for growth hackers. Lots of practical tips.
Nasos Psarrakos
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most useful and actionable books I have read in a long time.
Sergiy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate traction guide with major traction channels covered in one short book
Andre Ramsey
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading @tractionbook by @jwmares and @yegg. If you are serious about #growthhacking, READ THIS BOOK!
Justin Mares
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book.
Entrepreneur Book...: May 2018 Group Discussion: Traction 4 38 May 17, 2018 02:57AM
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Startup Growth Engines: Case Studies of How Today's Most Successful Startups Unlock Extraordinary Growth
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Startup Playbook: Secrets of the Fastest-Growing Startups from Their Founding Entrepreneurs
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
Gabriel Weinberg is the Founder & CEO of DuckDuckGo, the search engine that doesn't track you with over a billion searches in 2013. He is also an angel investor and co-author of Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers. Weinberg has been featured on CBS, FOX, the Guardian, the Washington Post and many more.

Previously he was the Co-founder & CEO of Opobox, which was sold to United Onl
“Almost every failed startup has a product. What failed startups don’t have are enough customers.” 6 likes
“Poor distribution - not product - is the number one cause of failure.” 4 likes