Start by marking “A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Plague of Swords (The Traitor Son Cycle, #4)

A Plague of Swords

(The Traitor Son Cycle #4)

One enemy has fallen ... a greater one remains ... now it's war The Red Knight withstood the full might of his enemy and won the day. In a victory which will be remembered through the ages, he brought disparate factions together and turned them into allies against a more powerful foe than they had ever seen. Now, he will need his allies more than ever. Because behind one a ...more
Published October 25th 2016 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about A Plague of Swords, please sign up.
Jeff Frane Kronmir was the primary spy in Fell Sword. I'd like a real dramatis personae and a bestiary but it would take someone (the author?) a really long time…moreKronmir was the primary spy in Fell Sword. I'd like a real dramatis personae and a bestiary but it would take someone (the author?) a really long time to create if it doesn't already exist.(less)

Jody
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review now posted!

After 4 books I have come to really appreciate this series and what it brings to the fantasy genre. Not anything knew or groundbreaking, but a story with it's own unique design and strength that when it's over, it will always stick with you. It will be a series that all future books in the same genre you will compare to. Most will be found wanting, but a few...a few my dear friends may live up to it's standards. I had been anticipating this series for so long, that when I
Reggie Kray
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five vibrant Red and White stars! Love my Canadian authors!
Tosh
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable installment in the Traitor Son Cycle - not quite as good as previous books, but setting up what looks to be an epic finale.

*rtc

J.P. Ashman
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Plague of Swords cements this series into my top five!

More grimness, more darkness, more horrifying evil... and yet more good to combat it! The characters are as real as ever, as is the interaction between them. Wonderful friendships, loves and hates; character progression and world progression with it.

The action is visual and the scale immense. Sea battles and aerial battles compliment the ever-fabulous land battles, skirmishes and tourneys.

Magic beyond belief and monsters to match,
Anton
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Sud666
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A Plague of Swords continues the story of The Red Knight. The Traitor Son Cycle has been a very good series, so far. In this fourth book, following the events of the War against Thorn, we see Gabriel Muriens become Emperor due to being acclaimed thus after winning the war against Thorn and the Wild.
But before that can happen, it seems that there is one last great enemy to destroy- the dragon Ash and his strange alien allies the Odine. I will not spoil any more of the plot, since if you've follow
Chris
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Plague of Swords.
This is the fourth instalment in the Red Knight- Traitors son- fantasy series by Miles Cameron, and again a very good read that does credit to the incredibly high standards of writing and talespinning of the series. Book three, the Dread Wyrm, ended with the alliance of the humans and non/ humans against the evil cemented in an epic battle with the fate of the whole world at stake and a hard won victory. No time for slacking down however. Its plots within plots, and suddenly th
Cor Markhart
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
The Traitor Son series is perhaps my favourite fantasy series at the moment and this book is a worthy addition to the series. It seamlessly continues from the last book and pushes the plot(s) forward at a extremely high speed, ignoring a small respite at the beginning. As the rest of the series this book does a beautiful job of breathing life in to the setting and its people and I have rarely seen a more believable portrayal of medieval life.

However the book is not without faults. The sheer scop
Twerking To Beethoven
To me this wasn't as good as the previous installments. Maybe it's the missing characters (the villains, I mean) that turned "APoS" into a mild disappointment. 3.5 stars.
Patremagne
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably a 4.5.

Plague of Swords made me appreciate the prior books even more, but I still have zero clue how the magic works.

The highest of stakes, great characters and plotting, but I'm still not a fan of the crazy long chapters with multiple perspectives within each.
Anthony K
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God damn it... I thought the series was already finished! You got me fucker! You got me good Miles.

Now I wait for book 5.
Bogdan
Strong writing like it was in the previous books. The story grows and grows without any limits whatsoever!

This time we haven`t a lot of POVS like the other volumes, maybe there are around of five main characters, and only one from the bad guys.

So for this aspect the book has another structure, like the firsts, where we had multiple povs from the whole camps of interest.

Now from the so called bad alliance we have only in the end some glimpses and I guess we`ll se more in the last book of the seri
Mike
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent entry in the Traitor Son Cycle.

The good: lots of intrigue, an unpredictable plot, and some really interesting foreshadowing of what's to come.

The less good: there wasn't as much of the writing at arms and armor at which Cameron uniquely excels. I'm also confused as all hell as to what the deal was with (view spoiler)

I'm super excited for the next one. The seq
Dezideriu Szabo
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a ride, what a ride! I can't wait for the Grand Finalle!
Arun
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best penultimate books

Continuing the fight against Ash, who has now gotten a new ally, or so they think, Gabriel Muriens and the company, which has now become the most powerful human force on Earth, takes up the war against on three prongs.
The writing is as good as ever, especially the set pieces. The use of magic, the characters and the action all being joy to read this penultimate book of Traitor Son cycle.
I cannot wait for the next book.
Mark Harrison
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Something was missing in this one. The change away from the multiple POV took much from the narrative but there were still brilliant battles, new allies, romance and lots of monsters. Still a brilliant series but not the strongest installment.
Daniel Shellenbarger
Sad to say, I think this is where I'm going to leave this series. This isn't a bad book, but it has problems. The first and most noticeable problem is that it just doesn't have much... initiative. The last book didn't REALLY solve the big looming danger threatening the world, but it dealt with basically every major manifestation of that evil. Particularly, Cameron killed off Thorn and Jean de Vrailly, the personal antagonists of the Red Knight who Cameron put considerable effort into developing ...more
Trevor Sherman
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how I feel about The Plague of Swords. One of my favorite things about Cameron is his detail so I shouldn’t complain, but I did get a bit tired of who was sitting next to who at the war meetings. I think the main problem I had with the whole book was everything about it felt slow. Even with my AB player on 1.2 speed I thought it was spoken slow. Neil Dickson narrated this book, The Plague of Swords, as well as book 3 The Dread Wyrm. While I think Matthew Wolf Did a better job on bo ...more
knots
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The book shone when the focus was on the Red Knight.He's as dynamic and devious as in the previous books.He finally gave in to his destiny (and admitted to have been plotting for it for years ) and became the Emperor. But the coronation in Morea was glossed over.More time was devoted to Blanche the Boring and the imperial wedding.However I'll forgive the author since he gave us some spectacular battles in the ocean and the Tournament.Master Smythe was delightful and enigmatic as usual.I wonder h ...more
Kennethkiffer
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was a monster of a book, filled with monsters, with monster plots within plots, and I'm not surprised it too me this long to finish (probably twice my usual reading speed). A lot happened, and you know a whole lot more is going to take place.
Like another reviewer on this page, I agree that the book shines when it is focused on The Red Knight. You feel as if you are one of his knights/captains/people, just a bit short of his brilliance and you wonder what plot is he up to, how does he
Stefano Galluzzi
Shelves: 2016, top5-2016
One of the best books I've ever read.
Tim
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Plague of Swords" sort of hits the reset button on the Traitor Son Cycle. That's one reason why this Book 4 is certainly the weakest of the series up to this point.

The climactic battle in the previous volume, basically sorcerer Thorn vs. Red Knight and his cohorts Part II, wasn't the end of the saga, obviously; there are powers behind Thorn and a far more widespread — worlds-spanning, really — plot than had even been hinted at in the early books. But in this regrouping for the final push, t
Robin Carter
Review

I find these days with Miles/ Christian Cameron books i have to start a review will full disclosure, admit to the fact that he is a friend and someone i admire for his writing, his many many skills (weapons and much much more) and intelligence (that said… if the book was bad i would honestly tell him). In fact its often that intelligence in the books that so captivates me. He is that rare author who can educate and entertain at the same time and he seems to do it effortlessly. Although i d
Luiner Avila
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK so, do not get your hopes up for this review, this is just a short but owed recognition on the Author's genius, he not only has me sleeping 4 hours a night so I can fit more reading into my sales job madness stress schedule.

As I said, it's a short recognition, not an actual review, but having said so, I have to admit that the book is the perfect continuation of the previous one, the plots get bigger and bigger while Gabriel; albeit some interesting hints about him, manages to get more and mo
mixal
Probably worth 5 stars. This whole series has a great disadvantage that it does not have any sort of updated wikipedia (or dictionary/afterword at the end of the book), so one could get better understanding of the magical system and refresh his memory about the characters once new book in the series is released. Really shame tho, because I do love the series, it's just that I cannot immerse myself in the story so much without this reference.

(I know that e.g. GRR Martin does not provide such thin
Elizabeth Eames
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again the Red Knight and friends has robbed me of sleep and human contact! A great read! Fast paced, funny, sad, great battles, beautiful men, interesting women and incredible creatures. Now I must wait for the next move in the great war and the reveal of who is cheating who and why. Hopefully the next book will be available soon.
Wayland Smith
I am greatly enjoying this epic fantasy series. Cameron does a fantastic job with increasing the stakes. Looking back at book one, The Red Knight it's amazing how much the world and many of the characters have changed. Gabriel has his work cut out for him as he's gone from leader of a mercenary company to leader of the mutli-national resistance to the great evil powers. And there's more of those than we first thought. And what's this about being a contender for the Imperial Throne?

The world is i
James Ritchie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the plot and I enjoyed the characters, but the author treated me as though I was much smarter than I actually am, constantly making passing reference to minor characters and conversations from previous books - I struggled to keep up.
Kat
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This series continues to be my favorite of the epic (overly-convoluted) fantasy genre. They've got better than normal representation of women, enough action and a decent amount of humour.
Logan
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost five stars. This world is so deep and fascinating. The characters are compelling and I love the dialogue.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Long Sword (Chivalry, #2)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
  • Blood and Tempest (Empire of Storms, #3)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • The Face in the Window (Powder Mage, #0.7)
  • The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5)
  • Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
  • The River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage, #3)
  • Lord Tophet (Shadowbridge, #2)
  • Dead Man's Steel (The Grim Company, #3)
  • The Red Prince (The Long War, #3)
  • Max Helsing and the Thirteenth Curse (Max Helsing: Monster Hunter, #1)
Miles Cameron is an author, a re-enactor, an outdoors expert and a weapons specialist. He lives, works and writes in Toronto, where he lives with his family. This is his debut fantasy novel.

The Traitor Son Cycle (5 books)
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • The Fall of Dragons (The Traitor Son Cycle, #5)
“Never ascribe to some conspiracy of evil what can be explained as easily by ignorance and fear.” 2 likes
“Ser Tomaso,” she said. “It is very likely we will all die.”
“Or worse,” said Brown, the first words he’d said in days. Ser Tomaso made a brave face.
“Perhaps,” he said. “But we will eat well.”
1 likes