Start by marking “Kindred Spirits” as Want to Read:
Kindred Spirits

Kindred Spirits

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  16,763 ratings  ·  3,501 reviews
'Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.'
'Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?'
'Maybe.'

If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han,
Mass Market Paperback, 96 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by Macmillans Kids UK

To ask other readers questions about Kindred Spirits, please sign up.
Amelia Yeah. And are we still able to get Kindred Spirits? Either way, my Reading class is celebrating at my school because I told my teacher about it and…moreYeah. And are we still able to get Kindred Spirits? Either way, my Reading class is celebrating at my school because I told my teacher about it and she was like, "We should do something."(less)
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,309 books — 6,920 voters
YA Novels of 2016
1,125 books — 9,699 voters

More lists with this book...

·  16,763 ratings  ·  3,501 reviews

Start your review of Kindred Spirits
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Leaving this story the same way I leave all of Rainbow Rowell's books. I WANT MORE.
Lola
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
‘‘Everybody likes Star Wars,’’ he said. ‘‘Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.’’
‘‘Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?’’
Gabe glowered at her. ‘‘Maybe.’’

Kindred Spirits is a – very – short story written by the imaginative Rainbow Rowell for the World Book Day, which took place on March 3rd.

Would you look at that, I missed it.

This TEASER illustrates how people can go to great lengths for things they
Nat
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
However Elena changed or grew, Star Wars seemed to be there for her in a new way.

description

Just when I thought Rainbow Rowell couldn’t get any better, she releases a new story.
Her books are magical. Rainbow is magic. She has this incredible way of drawing the reader into the story and once inside it— never being able to let go (the best feeling!!). I constantly think about her characters. They’re always somewhere in my head. And I love it.
I love knowing that no matter what state of mind I’m in, I can
Darth J
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
(Alright. I've been in a GR slump for a while so I'm going to just post this review now instead of a while ago when I finished it.)

I was excited to read a new Rowell story, especially one having to do with Star Wars, but this fell quite flat. I didn't like any of the characters and most of all, this just didn't have that same Rowell essence her other stories did. It just seemed lazy and lacked her normal charm. I know this was supposedly free or whatever, but even Poe Dameron is disappointed in
Polly
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After Reading: Rainbow Rowell's stories, no matter how short, never fail to put a smile on my face. This is just what I thought it would be - entertaining and completely adorable.

Before Reading: This is so exciting!!
In the UK on World Book Day a load of authors bring out short stories or novellas etc for children/YA for only 1! Or free for school children. It used to be my favourite day at school. Just wanted to let people outside the UK know what it is!
Taneika
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
That was so quick and super adorable! Considering it was a mere 62 pages long, I feel like Elena's character development was great! The writing was easy and pleasant to read too and overall it was a cute, fun, enjoyable read :)
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Nicay Magnate

Star Wars fan or not, this is such a cute read! It’s a short story that everyone who is helplessly passionate about something will be able to relate to. Rainbow Rowell sure knows how to bring her words to life. Recommended to my kindred spirits!^^<3

Do check out Nicay's review too.

P.S. Happy early birthday, Nicay. I might be too busy tomorrow so I'm posting this now. I wish you all the best and I hope your special day be extra special. <3
Claudia Ramírez
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Cute :).
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, novella
This was aight. Since it said "for older readers" I expected I wasn't going to like it since I wasn't a huge fan of Landline or Attachments, but I was thoroughly surprised that it was actually really cute (and about high schoolers!) I'm not the hugest fan of contemporary short stories, because I like things that pack a punch or have a twist or some sort of psychological moral. This was just a dainty and lighthearted story, which was fun and quick, but had no real purpose or driving moral or ...more
Mara
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short but super cute. Rainbow Rowell writing about Star Wars can't be anything other than perfection. I wish this were an entire book, not just a short story.
Pearl Angeli
4 Stars!

This short story is Fangirl junior. So cute and irresistible and I loved it!

Elena is a Star Wars obsessed. When another sequel of the film series was about to hit the theater, she camped out for four days prior to the show and eventually met guys, Gabe and Troy, who are also Star Wars fanatics.

I loved the fun moments that happened here. Even the witty and nerdy banters shared by Gabe and Elena. They just clicked with every part of me! These characters are very interesting and adorable
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Cute cute CUTE. I hope we see Elena and Gabe again somewhere in future Rainbow books, I'd love to see how they're doing post TFA. This was just adorable. Loved it.
Carol
Elena desperately wants a memorable STAR WARS experience. She's 18 (looks 12) and is a true believer. So, four days prior to the opening of the new STAR WARS movie, to her mother's chagrin, Elena decides to camp out in front of the theatre and wait in line with all the other STAR WARS geek types, but wait......there is no line, only two other fans of the male persuasian.

What happens in line and during the movie turns out to be quite the memorable experience for Elena in the end, but not what she

Matthew
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, own, general-fiction
A little weird to be reviewing this one the day Carrie Fisher passed away. In fact, I was probably reading the final pages as the news broke.

This is a story about Star Wars fans waiting in line to see The Force Awakens on opening day. There is talk of Princess Leia and waiting in line back in the day for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. A fun story for a sad day.

The force is strong with this one!

Despite being a glorified short story (or maybe a novella??? Not sure if there are
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Kindred Spirits is straight up adorable! Essentially a love letter to Star Wars, it is done in true Rainbow Rowell fashion: slightly awkward characters and snappy dialogue.

At just 62 pages, there’s a surprising amount of character development. I got to know Elena inside and out, but not once did I feel like I was being pelted with character facts; it was gradual and natural.

Even if you aren’t a Star Wars fan, I highly recommend picking
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm really glad I happened to be visiting the UK during World Book Day so I could get my hands on this. It was a super cute little story. I prefer her short story in 'My True Love Gave to Me' much more though. But if you like Rainbow Rowell and you like Star Wars, you won't want to miss it!
Jillian
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
ok so my nerdy little heart loved this but there just wasn't enough. it made me feel nostalgic and warm and fuzzy. and normally i'm for rainbow's open ended endings...but this is something i need more of. just like her short story from my true love gave to me i feel sort of cheated....even though i did love it. LIKE ALOT.
Larry H
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Elena couldn't remember the first time she saw a Star Wars movie...in the same way she couldn't remember the first time she saw her parents. Star Wars had just always been there. There was a stuffed Chewbacca in her crib."

Elena grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy, as the movies were her dad's favorite. He loved them so much that he made her promise never to see the prequels, because it would corrupt her enjoyment of the movies. But while she loved the films because they made her
Alaina
Kindred Spirits was a cute little book. I feel like I flew through it. The MC, Elena, is obsessed with Stars Wars. So what does she do when a new movie is coming out? Well she decides to wait in line (I think for a week?) outside the movie theater. She wants to be the first one there, get a great seat, and enjoy the amazing movie she's been dreaming about.

Unfortunately, things don't go her way. She had high expectations about this whole sitting outside the theater. She thought there would be a
Jaclyn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS THE CUTEST!!!! It's literally about these three people who wait in line for days to see Star Wars. As a Star Wars fan, I totally related. As somebody who has camped out and waited on multiple lines, I completely related. I just wished it was longer!!! It was absolutely adorable and hysterical. So many moments where I was cracking up. This entire story put a huge smile on my face the entire time I read it and I couldn't get enough of it. It's SUPER short and extremely easy and fun to ...more
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I couldn't sleep, so I decided to start this, and read it all in one go, and now it's 1:30am haha

It's been so long since I read anything Rainbow, and I forgot how much I enjoyed her writing. This short story was pretty cute and nice, and tbh I would've loved for it to be longer aha
Jasmine
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What is this?!
" A World Book Day UK book." !!!!!!!!!
I don't know and I don't understand, but IT'S RAINBOW ROWELL SO I'LL READ IT!
////////////

I absolutely loved this!! I am not a Star Wars fan, I only know "May the Force be with you" reference, other than that, NOTHING! But, I enjoyed this so much, Elena's passion, and these cute characters that Rainbow create and you can ALWAYS relate to!!!! I MISS HER BOOKS, I NEED THEM IN MY LIFE!!!!!!

/////////////

Second reread:
STILL AS GOOD AS I
Norah Una Sumner

Awww, this was really cute. The story is close to my heart definitely. And that ending is hilarious! However, the fact that I've read the excerpt from another book at the end of this edition without even realizing that it isn't the same story tells you how much I was captivated by it.

description
madamescozycorner
Very short and very cute read!
Angela
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Rainbow Rowell's new tiny book, rocking just around 100 pages. Even though it is one of her shortest, it's also the highest I've ever rated one of her books. This makes me terribly sad because I wish it would have been longer.

Elena loves Star Wars, so when the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to release soon she knows she's going to camp out days in advance to get the full experience. When she arrives to wait in line days early she didn't expect to be one of only three people
Kindred Spirits is a nerdy, sweet, and very YA short story that most everyone will be able to relate too. If might help if you like Star Wars or can at least appreciate the collective community of it all, but it's not necessary. It's about the disappointment of expectations, the loyalty of fandom, unexpected friendships, and making the best out of a situation. It was really cute and it was reported that all proceeds go to the ACLU Foundation. Check it out!

My favorite quote:
“Did the prequels
Holly Bourne
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how she fits so much subtlety and beauty and brilliance and complexity into one short story, but oh my, she does and it's SO good!
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
really cute short story about 3 fans of Star Wars! :) definitely recommend if you love Stars Wars / Rainbow Rowell ( or both HAHA )
Stacey (prettybooks)
Elena has loved Star Warssince she was a child. Her friends aren't super fans, but she is determined to join the cinema queue and count down the days until Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released. She's expecting hundreds of fans – it's the biggest movie of the year after all – but she only meets Troy and Gabe.Kindred Spiritsis a delightful story about new friendship and fandom. It has many fun moments – from Elena desperately needing to pee (Gabe to the rescue!) to being quizzed on her ...more
Kai
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2017
“People who are jerks don't get to decide whether they're jerks. It's left up to a jury of their peers.”

This was okay, but really nothing more. If you are a Star Wars fan (I'm not) you might enjoy this a lot more than I did. Iknow I would have, if it had been about the new Fantastic Beasts film. But since it wasn't, characters and plot couldn't make up for it. The lack of depth and plot results from the short page count. This could have been much better if it was an actual novel.

In a nutshell:
Erratic Bookworms: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell 1 4 Oct 08, 2017 04:40PM
United Book Nerds: May book of the month: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell 12 14 Jun 04, 2016 11:23AM
The Bookish Bookclub: Book for April 1 2 Jun 01, 2016 02:58PM
Elena and Gabe 8 48 May 11, 2016 11:43AM

• Escrito em algum lugar
  • Reticências
  • A feiticeira de São Judas Tadeu dos Milagres
  • Conectadas
  • Amizades, Cacatuas e Outras Coisas Fora de Controle
  • Perigo: Garotas unidas!
  • Ele salvou o meu verão (Projeto Estações, #1)
  • Querido Ex, (que acabou com a minha saúde mental, ficou milionário e virou uma subcelebridade)
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Sabor da maré
  • Correio Nada Elegante
  • Entre estantes
  • Mesmo que eu vá embora
  • De todos os motivos
  • Todas as cores do Natal
  • Um milhão de finais felizes
  • Nosso outono nada igual (Projeto Estações #2)
  • Dodge
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
“And the thing about nerd culture being mainstream culture now means that there's no place to just be a nerd among other nerds - without being reminded that you're the nerd.” 47 likes
“If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. This was a holy day for her -- it was a cosmic event. This was her planets lining up. (Tatooine, Coruscant, Hoth.)” 28 likes