Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's

The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's (The Berenstain Bears)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,672 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Brother and Sister worry about spending a week at Gran and Gramp's house. By
the end of the visit they've learned a lot from their lively grandparents--and
the older bears have discovered how wonderful it is to "be" grandparents.
Published August 12th 1986 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's

Kristine Hansen
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is that perfect book to help your child to prepare for that week (or weekend, or even just overnight trip) to someone else's house. The emotions here are so read - Sister Bear not liking Grandma's cookies for example - even though they're good - but because they're not her mother's cookies. The child is encouraged to discover that different can be good - and learning new things can be pretty fun. Definitely a fun read!
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
loved grandma bear. i think that everyone loved grandma bear though. i mean, how could you not....she was grandma, and she was a bear....
Heather
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart.
Leslie McWilliams Marcy
Totally had to edit & flip through most of the last half to save my four-year-old daughter from scaring the s* out of her. Then I went looking for Mercer Mayer books. I remembered I read almost all of the MM books to my kids long before Berenstain Bears, to the same effect, but got sucked in by the G-word... just too abstract & developmentally impossible. My bad. I knew it wasn't gonna work. Doy.
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My grandma kept this book at her house...always a treat to read the special picture books that were only at grandma's :)
Emily Garrison
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1986 by Random House Publishers and is a book in the First Time Books series. This story starts out with the Bear Family looking at pictures from Mama and Papa's honeymoon and the fun they had. Papa and Mama decide they're going to go on a second honeymoon. The cubs are a little miffed when they are told that honeymoons are just for adults and that the cubs will be going to stay with Gran and Gramps while Mama and Papa are gone. When the cubs are dropped off at their g ...more
Stef
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another one I read when I was a kid, so of course I tend to like these best; they're so familiar. The art is also more arresting than in newer ones: There's like a collage thing going on, like the artist actually cared enough to make each page visually appealing. (This coming on the heels of reading "Go Out to Eat," which was just literally just one flat, lifeless illustration after another of the Bear family just sitting at a table, eating. Gosh, I'm being way too harsh on certain BERENSTAIN BE ...more
Phillip Lemons
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-books
The story addresses children's fear of being away from parents for a long period, even when it's with other family.

My boy had requested a Berenstein Bears book a few times n the past few weeks and they are some of the longest stories he is interested in sitting through right now.

As a parent, I like that the bears can have natural feelings fort kids without being called bad or naughty. I also like there positive interaction between grandparents and grandkids.
Rebekah
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
"It just so happens that Gran has been after me to let you spend a week with her and Gramps. And this will be the perfect opportunity."

As one who has been in Mama Bear's position, I gotta say I don't like being asked to send my child away for a week. Maybe someday, in a few years. I realize the Berenstein Bears teach morals or help "cubs" deal with something new, but I'm not fond of this one. It does however show kids the unusual activities they might enjoy that aren't at home.
Ealthafer
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
While I read this book I was trying to find something in the book that stuck out to me that I would want to introduce my students to but was having kind of a hard time. Until about the middle of the story. I found a really neat craft that I liked a lot. The author describes step-by-step directions on how to make a miniture sail ship and put it in a bottle but the steps are numbered they follow multiple pictures.
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 5th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This one was pretty funny and cute. I love how the grandparents taught the kids that you learn something new every day and old age is not such a terrible thing. I love that the kids actually had fun with the grandparents. I love that the grandparents were shown to still be very full of life.
Sonya Huser
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Mama and Papa Bear take their second honeymoon, their cubs are forced to spend a week with their grandparents. At first Brother and Sister feel really put out, but after all the fun things they do that week, they can't wait for Mama and Papa to take a third honeymoon and leave them behind again!
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Week at Grandma's by Stan Berenstain
We liked this one, and have read it many times. Since my daughter started spending weeks, with Gramma, there has always been worries, but this one helps. And just like the cubs, she does all kinds of different things, there.
Dolly
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice book to read to children, especially before they are going to spend time with relatives. Sometimes staying with relatives, even ones they know well, can be scary for children. And the Berenstain Bears are a favorite for our girls.
Angela
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, l-s-faves
My six year old loves this series, picked up a stack of them at the library this week, and has requested that we have a bit of a Berenstain Bears marathon with them. I like the positive message these books have.
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, family
It's a good book to read to children who are anxious about separating or spending time away from their parents. The bear cubs learn new and interesting things when they spend a week at their grandma's house.
Brooke
Feb 14, 2010 added it
This book is about the Berenstain bear cubs visiting grandparents and all the many wonderful things they learn. When reading this book again I was reminded of all the fun I had visiting my grandparents farm as a child.
Morgan
Although children love the Berenstain Bears I was not a bog fan of the book. The book was tacky and did not have any rich meaning to the story or good illustrations. This book is one I might consider only having in my classroom library.
Steph
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
cute book.
Tania
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it
This book takes way too long to read, but Lily can't get enough of Papa!!!
Becky
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Ah, The Bernstein Bears... a childhood obsession!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Rebekah
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my favorite of the Berenstain Bear books. I lost my grandparents at a very young age so I imagined that this is what it was like to spend a week with my Granny.
Kate
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
How horrifying would it be to have your grandparents win a "Friskiest Couple" award. Ugh.
Gabrielle Link
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I remember the first time I spent a whole week with my grandparent's, it was fun!
The Night Hawk (Erin)
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I used to love staying at my grandmas. Great story!
Lisa
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was Lila's first book from my mom!
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Decent but it may be a bit to wordy for some youngins.
Sarah King
Mama and Papa Bear go on vacation and leave the cubs with their grandparents.
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad
  • Richard Scarry's Find Your ABC'S (Pictureback®)
  • Arthur's Family Vacation (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • I Spy School Days: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Curious George Goes Camping
More about Stan Berenstain

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark

• Ilsa: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99