Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food

The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food

(The Berenstain Bears)

Mama Bear lays down the law when she notices that Papa and the cubs are getting too chubby. With the help of Dr. Grizzly's slide show on how the body works, the Bear family makes a healthful adjustment in their diet and fitness habits. "A most enjoyable introduction to good nutrition and exercise."--(starred) Science Books & Films.
Published March 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food, please sign up.
Amrutha Ramadas 1-2 as it is fun and interesting . Even as a teenager , I love berenstain bears book

Start your review of The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
Calista
This is a good story. It is also a speck preachy... or more than a speck. At the same time, it is a great message. Sugar has made an addict of me and I hate feeling so out of control with it. Junk food is too much around us and I always want it. So, the story has a true message, a good message. The candy does look so colorful and it made me want junk food.

There is a little bit of body shaming in this one, but this is an 80s mindset. This feels more like a Jan Berenstain idea.

The kids like these
Jaidab
Nov 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well, let me just start out by saying that I wish I could give this book 0 stars, and then burn it. I do not even know where to begin... I am just so very, VERY disappointed.

The Berenstain Bears books have been more or less popular for a few decades. This fact is part of what troubles me so much. I've read some of the other Berenstain books recently to my children, and they've been ok, but when I found this little gem (sarcasm), I was stunned.

When I was in nutrition school, and even more so
Leland T-Money Fortier
This is some right wing medical propaganda. This is ABearica, if I want to get fat from eating Choco Chums and Sugar Balls then I CAN. This book is filled with unrealistic portrayals of current healthcare.

It really all starts when their family doctor sees them at the grocery store and "invites" them to an appointment tomorrow. Never in my life have I met a doctor that was so easy to get an appointment at, usually you are on hold for 20 minutes just to find out the next opening is 2 months from
Barbara
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book ever since I was little because I felt like I could relate to it. I loved junk food as a kid and still do as an adult, the book teaches a lesson that I may not have learned when I was little but am starting to understand now. It talks about healthy eating and why it is important. The illustrations are what drew me to the book when I was younger. When I saw this on the shelves in the store I instantly remembered why I had loved it so much. I love all of the Berenstain Bears ...more
Audrey
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"let's celebrate by opening up the freezer!"
Jessica
Aug 21, 2018 added it
Shelves: books-i-own
Oh the childhood memories this brings back.
Charity
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
My three-year-old is currently enamored of The Berenstain Bears. He wants to check out the whole section every time we're at the library, but I limit him to three because that's about all my husband and I can stand to read to him over and over until next week's library trip. I won't review all of them because they're all very similar. This one, however, gets a review because it's a very good example of what a dolt Papa always seems to be in these books. Mama calls all the shots and Papa just ...more
Meg
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
My parents must have been sick of reading this book to me as a child. I STILL knew half of the words from memory-- that's how much I loved it-- but revisiting this, I'm not sure why I was so enchanted. While the overall intention is good (eat healthy food, not junk), it basically just instructs kids to not get fat by eating too many cheese puffs. While childhood obesity is indeed a timely topic, I didn't appreciate the condescending tone of this (and I'm sure many other Berenstain) books. Momma ...more
J.T. IV
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The Berenstain Bears have a little problem with junk food, or rather in particular Papa, Brother, and Sister, Mama seems immune to the lures of the candy and popcorn and chips. Considering the state of a large chunk of both our youth and adults in this country this makes a great light read about cutting out a little bit of the excess, getting back to healthy and nourishing food, and a making time for a bit of exercise. The bears show us how easy it is with a little support and a plan to get back ...more
Kristine Hansen
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't bears be naturally...stout?

Well, Papa Bear is definitely a little on the paunchy side, and the cubs were definitely not eating well, so a change definitely needed to be made. Might I suggest it start with Mama Bear, who shouldn't have bought all the junk food in the first place? Or allowed them to eat all that trash at the mall or movies? Just wondering....

Yeah, I'm a little critical here but there's a definite fat-shaming moment here that left me somewhat
Jen
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Arg with the body shaming in kids' junk food books!

The thing with this book is that the back half is actually good; the family goes to the doctor and learns about the various systems in the body (like the nervous system, bone structure, digestive tracts, etc.) and there are illustrations that are just right for kids. And the recognition that exercise is important and can be a family activity is great. Even the fact that alternative snacks are spelled out so that it's not just "eat better" but
Sarah Adamson
A good idea for a book but now it's dated and includes a lot of conversations that are now viewed as inappropriate. There is so much information - too much almost about body image being important when general health matters much more! Just didn't give me good feelings and led to serious discussions with my daughter about the way her body looks not being anywhere near as important as its health status which includes her mental health and being happy and feeling good and being healthy and able to ...more
Liesl
Although the story means well, it's not nearly as good as I remembered. The plot falls in the unfortunate, lazy "Mama is always right, Papa is a dolt and lumped in with the kids" trap along with too many others from the series. I don't care for how all junk food is dismissed outright; it is more realistic to introduce enjoying treats both in moderation and on special occasions in addition to primarily eating healthy.
Tam
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
My 8-year-old really liked this book but his school focuses on healthy eating so he's okay with giving up junk food. My favorite part was when Papa Bear wanted to know what he could drink if he couldn't drink his Sweetsie-Cola. Mama Bear replied, "Try this. It's called water." As a parent, I liked the overall message of this book. It emphasized healthy eating and exercise.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Original publication date was 1985, but this book is just as relevant (if not more) today due to the childhood (and adult) obesity epidemic.
Leah
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: whimsy
I just like to wallow in all the pictures of junk food overindulgence.

A sad early warning of the demise of Cookie Monster.
Miri
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think it's a good book and it talks about not eating so much junk and they're growing and it talks about eating healthy and doing exercise. And it's a good book.
Pablo V
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bear eat too much food and her sick and her want to hospital and her gone and her a want to home
Peter Ackerman
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are big Berenstain Bear fans and this is one of our favorites!
Mindy Cho
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food is a story about the Barenstain Bear family and their unhealthy eating habits. The brother, sister, and father bear all struggle with eating healthy in the house. Their refrigerator is filled with junk food and the mother bear is the only one who really cares about eating healthy. Mother bear sees that all three bears are gaining weight and are afraid they will eat like this everyday. The three bears don't see and understand the reason of why they need ...more
Slow Man
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a great way to tell the young about eating healthy food and exercise.
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it

From the Inside Flap

Cassidy
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this story of a fun family of bears we see a unique and creative approach to teaching health to children. After the mama bear notices a change in size and personality of both her husband and kids, she decides to take away certain privileges such as sweet snacks, and too much television. The author does a wonderful job showing the change of the bears from the beginning of the book, to the end in not just appearance but personality as well.

The illustrations in this book are important because
Tracy Poff
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food is a didactic tale, seeking to teach children to eat healthy food and eschew eating junk food.

The story opens by talking about what a nice place Bear Country is, comfortable, full of nice places to live, and best of all full of healthy food for all its inhabitants. Mama Bear observes that her cubs have been eating a lot of junk food and are beginning to get a bit chubby. She shuts away the junk food in the freezer, and whisks the family away to see Dr.
Anna Marie
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Junk food is unhealthy, it adds on unnecessary weight and can lead to early onset of various diseases. Mother knows she's got to turn her family's bad eating habits around.
Jessica
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book tells about how to eat healthily and what can happen when you eat unhealthily. This book has some great advice.

DRA Levels: 10
Lexile Measures: BR-240

Presentation, Voice, Word Choice, Organization
Tamara
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Summary: In this book, the young bears are caught up in eating too much junk food. The readers will see the parents trying to show the children that eating sweets is not always the best choice of food. The bears entertain us in another book from their series and help these children learn a valuable lesson about eating healthy.

Written by Stan Berenstain
Published in 1985 by Random House Books for Young Children

Recommendations/Awards: none

Audience: Read together or read alone: grades K-4

Genre:
Rilee
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this book, the Berenstain Bears learn about healthy living. At first, they have a steady diet of sweets and unhealthy foods. Even though they are delicious, the bears begin to feel the negative effects of what they are eating. They do not feel well, gain weight, and are tired all of the time. They go to the doctor and learn that the cure for their symptoms is exercise and healthy eating. The bear family makes the difficult transition to healthy living and they benefit immensely from it.

The
Aureilia
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food is a realistic fiction book aimed at children of primary to intermediate ages 4-10. This story is about a family of bears (Mama, Papa, Sister, Brother) who are encouraged to change their eating habits to become healthier and lose weight. This book translates a very positive message about the effects of eating healthy. In the story illustrations of healthy food and not so healthy food are incorporated giving the reader good visual aids. This is an ...more
Elizabeth Byers
This book was about a family of bears, the Berenstain bears, Mamma bear tells her family that theyve been eating too many sweets and have been going to the chubby side. The story goes on to show how mamma bear shows them a slide show from Dr. Grizzley about the body and how you have to take care of it. After watching that, the family starts to make changes in their diet and they become more healthy. This is a great story to read and use in the classroom because it teaches an awesome lesson about ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Garbage Dumpster Rental Utah 1 1 Jun 27, 2019 08:09PM

• The Berenstain Bears Show Some Respect
  • Dragon of the Red Dawn (Magic Tree House, #37)
  • Dark Day in the Deep Sea (Magic Tree House, #39)
  • Angela's Airplane
  • Franklin Goes to School
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • The Berenstain Bears' Dinosaur Dig
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party
  • The Serious Goose
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Blizzard of the Blue Moon (Magic Tree House, #36)
  • The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Stephanie's Ponytail
  • Just Critters Who Care (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Easter Story (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights)
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark