Start by marking “Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions” as Want to Read:
Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions

Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions

"God is at home. It is we who have gone out for a walk." --Meister Eckhart

InComing Home to Your True Self, Albert Haase invites you to return home--and shows you the way to get there. "Home," he writes, "is the sacrament of the present moment. It is only living right now, right here, that we discover our lives and this world awash in the grace of God." Using the story of t
Published April 18th 2008 by InterVarsity Press

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home to Your True Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Home to Your True Self

Start your review of Coming Home to Your True Self: Leaving the Emptiness of False Attractions
Chris
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Summary
Albert Hasse, lays out the spiritual life as coming home. He describes God as being at home and we returning to find him in the present moment. Using the imagery of the parable of the prodigal son, Hasse describes our need to leave the pigpen of our false self and come to the place of our true self.

Believe
Hasse quotes greats such as Meister Eckhart and St. John of the Cross. He builds his argument on the finding of God in the present moment where God communes with the imago dei in the tr
Amanda
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious-read
Very good read to help you remember exactly what the false self is and how to stay away from it. Gives good methods on how to be aware of God in the here and now.
Amanda Weaver
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The title can be misleading. This book is about Christian Spirituality (mindfullness, meditation, mysticism, living out our prayer) and how every one of us can experience it. A quote from the Foreward gives a good description, "In this book we have a resource for Chrisitan spirituality that effectively taps the wealth of the Christian spiritual traditionin a way that makes it accessible to contemporary readers."

This book is an excellent guide to finding yourself home in God and living in the pr
Pixismiler
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in a dark place and it didn’t do me any good. Fast forward to the next week when I was receptive to what I was reading. Definitely in the right place in my life to read this. Y’all I do not write in books, but I made little marks in pencil of things that I want to go back and put in to my master book of things to remember. What I really liked was that for the most part it was written in English as opposed to religious-ese as a lot of religiousy type books can be.
Andy
Insightful, penetrating at times, provocative, comforting, helpful, inspiring... all rolled into one. I haven't taken it all in but made notes for further reflection. Some of Haase's reflections I did not click with I think, since I am not that familiar with Catholic tradition. Nevertheless, this was a really valuable book to read and to reflect on (which will be ongoing)
Lori Neff
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical Fr. Albert style of stories, illustrations, lists, and quotes. This was an enjoyable read with a few good zingers. I've read similar content in other books, but this was a lovely reminder of some foundational concepts.
Penny Hurst
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptional book

This is a great book to learn how to relish the present moment and enjoy the abundance of graces and blessings reading this book
Sister Anne
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-life
Well-written and insightful.
Paul Dubuc
This book is a great choice for Christian spiritual directors for a directee who would like to work through a book with them. It has a good chapter near the end on spiritual direction (which directees might want to read first). The book as a whole serves as a good outline for a spiritual journey that is focused on becoming your "true self" (the person God made you to be) and leaving the "false self", with its attachments to things that separate us from God and stunt our spiritual growth, behind ...more
Lain
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I emjoyed this simple volume on finding your way back to God's will -- which is, indeed, where you are right at this moment.

With practical examples and simple language, Haase explains the earthly temptations we face every day, and how they separate us from the Lord, our true home, our true self. He discusses the seven deadly sins (an analysis I found particularly interesting), and shares practices to bring you back to self/God/home.

Gentle, thought-provoking, and easy to read, this would be a gr
Rose
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Christian orientation that examines the many ways people create false selves to fill the hole in our hearts. The author believes we are born w/ the hole to allow the light of spirit to shine through us. I always appreciate a visual metaphor. The book was especially helpful to me in its description of the spiritual journey.
Jen
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading this book. It was given to me by a friend at my church. I'm loving it so far and having trouble putting it down!
David Mullens
Not too bad of a book. I wasn't real impressed at first, but he does a good job of discussing the true and false self. Fairly easy to read.
Heather
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I will read this book over and over. So much to disgest and use in every season of life.
Brad

• The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation
  • The Quiet Light: A Novel About Thomas Aquinas
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Telling Secrets
  • Vesper Time: The Spiritual Practice of Growing Older
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia #6)
  • A Mind for God
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store

News & Interviews