Start by marking “A Writer's Reference” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Reference

A Writer's Reference

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,017 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A proven success. The best-selling college textbook of any kind. Thoroughly class tested and enthusiastically endorsed by millions of students and their instructors at more than 1300 colleges and universities across the country.
Spiral-bound, Fourth Edition, 424 pages
Published October 10th 2000 by Bedford Books (first published 1989)

Doug
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who Writes
Shelves: textbooks
This is hands down the best reference I've ever used! It covers everything a writer needs in an easy to find, tabbed system. The copy I have is a Used Rental from the campus bookstore, but I'm hoping I can afford to keep it once the semester is ended. If I can't afford it right away, I am definitely buying a new one as soon as I have the money! This text is a Must-Have!
Gabrielle
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, reference
Without Hacker, I wouldn't have made it through college!
Marcy Winograd
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the English teacher's bible. Thank you, Diana!
Pam
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another text book for english composition class. I think I would like to own this one. Good information provided. One day I just might be able to write well without thinking?
Nicole Pramik
True to its title, this textbook should serve as a reference guide or supplemental text in the college composition classroom rather than be the primary go-to text. I say this because it deals chiefly with grammar and writing mechanics and little on actual composition-related concepts such as style and genre.

Much like The Everyday Writer, which I also reviewed, this text is basic in its delivery and approach. That's not instantly a negative because it depends what you wish to use this resource f
Geoffrey
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wished I had acquired this book sooner than now. This is a very handy reference book to use when writing papers and doing college work. My one peeve is that the author more often uses examples that favor a certain political or philosophical bias. I also wonder why the author placed the more advanced grammatical subjects before the basics. Still, this is will be my "go to" book while I write my academic papers.

NOTE: While this is a reference book, I read it from cover to cover first. How else w
Jaguar
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Total times read: 2 times.
*ating: Currently 3 stars, possibly 3.5.*
Again, another book required for my first college class (English Composition 1). I think this book can be SUPER helpful, but some things I feel could be defined better, or even explained. I don’t always agree with their examples they provide, such as where commas are to be placed. I think I will just rate this 3 stars for now, and maybe in the future I will make it higher.

2016-Summer-Reading-Review

Updated November 12th, 2016.
Re
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These reference books are all pretty much the same. I've seen dozens (publishers always send professors text books in hopes they'll adopt them for their classes) and they're all pretty much the same. Major points of difference are completness and ease of use. This is a good one for that. Besides, Hacker is a classic.
Randy Tramp
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great tool for writers. I found it very useful. I went through the entire book and ear marked some places for use at a later date. This is a reference book I'll use a lot. The book is in sections which make it very useful.
Jeffrey
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said, they're all pretty much the same. But, once again, if you don't know most of this stuff . . . do. Especailly if you're a writer. But even readers can increase their comprehension, vocabulary / diction, etc. Good standard stuff to have lying around the house. Get it.
Sally Raskoff
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent reference.
Kristina
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still my favorite writing manual. Love the latest update.
Anna
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like I picked this up at UC for $20 and used it quite a bit, for work probably. Very handy layout with tabs.
Jonathan
This book is an English major's best friend. On every paper that I have done I have had to consult this book at some point or another. It is a permanent fixture on my bookshelf.
Serina
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college
*2.5
John Wick
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, reference
A very excellent reference book for anyone who wants to know how to write using formal styles correctly. APA, Chicago, MLA, CMS, etc. This is my little writers bible for school.
Jim
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2non-fiction, 1paper
Not as good as Strunk & White's book, but a good reference, anyway. More up to date on some stuff that I rarely use, like business headers & such.
Kay Sterner
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since college, even took it with me when I studied abroad for two years, and I still find a constant use for it.
Charmless
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who reads and writes in English.
Recommended to Charmless by: A professor from college
This has been my grammar bible since college. (Well, the one I had in college, in the early to mid '90s, was a much older edition.) Hacker's product is a very user-friendly reference book.
Fatima Mahdi
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful to whoever has something to write about from academic essays to personal essays.
Patrick Rooney
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writer's resource.
jacky
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a second handbook that I was required to get a different year of college. I use this when I need a source different from Little, Brown.
James Stripes
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Solid and informative. My choice to recommend to students.
K. Germain
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning is never truly done. This is a great reference to creative writers.
Wednesday Green
Not terrible as reference guides go, more helpful information on writing and organization than most. I remember the old New Style manual we used to use that was crap. This blows that book away.
Emily Mason
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting!
Stephanie Graves
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Text for the English Comp class I'm teaching.
Heather
Great information on writing and research standards. I gave it a '3' solely because I feel it would be better as an ebook, PDF or online resource to allow for quick & easy searching.
Jessica
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Hacker writes a strong writer's reference here. This was my preferred text while teaching.
Dawn Santos
  • The St. Martin's Guide to Writing
  • The American Heritage Dictionary
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians
  • Writer's Inc
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • 501 Spanish Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses in a New Easy-To-Learn Format Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Writing With Power

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »