Start by marking “In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)

In Bed with the Devil

(Scoundrels of St. James #1)

They call him the Devil Earl—a scoundrel and accused murderer who grew up on the violent London streets. A proper young lady risks more than her reputation when consorting with the roguishly handsome Lucian Langdon, but Lady Catherine Mabry believes she has no choice. To protect those she loves, she would do anything—even strike a bargain with the devil himself.

Lucian desi
Published June 24th 2008 by Avon (first published June 4th 2008)

Mads
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this author :)

50 stars - enough said

description
edge of bubble
4.53 *

Basic elements of the story are quite familiar. An orphan boy living on the street with his gang of thieves. Becoming a lord someway. Aaand years later, we have a scoundrel of such a greatness, even one dance with him will cause the ruination of the maidens. Enter the heroine, obsessively intrigued by the dark lord. Upon finding herself in a predicament, she visits his house at night and strucks a deal with him. You've read this shit umpteenth times, huh? Well, nope, you didn't! The author
Zoe
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Reread 25/06/2017

I have not been reading for a while and this book popped into my head today for no reasons at all. I reread it and could not describe how this story connects with me on so many levels. This is my favorite book from Lorraine Heath. I love both characters, how they were individually and how they were together. I think Luke is the archetype of my kind of hero: a man who truly was in need of acceptance, and Catherine the archetype of my kind of heroine: level-headed, responsible, ki
Mo
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Don't we all love a scoundrel? Enjoyed this one. Strong heroine, which I love. Great set of secondary characters who, I am sure will
Beanbag Love
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
*sigh*

I was considering ending the review there, but I can't. I have to jabber a bit. What a great reading experience this book was. Very moving, but also amusing. Held my interest the entire time.

*sigh*

It's the story of Luke, the Earl of Claybourne, and Catherine, daughter of the Duke of Greystone. Luke was a poor kid on the streets from the age of around six until about twelve when he killed the heir to the Earl of Claybourne. When the old earl, the victim's father, met with Luke in prison, h
Naomi
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually really enjoyed this book! It wasn't overly mushy with romance and the woman was assertive and headstrong which I love.
Daniella
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I initially wanted to give this book 5 stars, but halfway through it, I reduced my rating to 4, and now I'm giving it 3.

To be honest, I just really wanted a light read; I wasn't in the mood for heavy drama. That's why, when I read about the heroine's real reason for visiting the hero, I thought twice about continuing. I was really tempted to stop reading. But I didn't. This was just so hard to put down, and before I knew it, I was nearing the end of the book.

In Bed with the Devil is a surprisin
Melanie A.
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio: 2 STARS
Story: 4 STARS!
"The price you pay for waltzing with the devil is residing in hell."
Another winner by Lorraine Heath!

Plot:
She risked more than just her reputation with him; she risked her heart.
Okay, yes, I'm oversimplifying things a bit. . . or a lot, because the plot was actually quite complex, but the quote above encapsulates the part of the story that I enjoyed the most.

I really loved the heroine, Catherine.
"I'm not very skilled at being biddable."
And I really l
Duchess Nicole
This was lovely. Everything I've come to expect from Lorraine Heath. It's always a pleasure to read one of her books. Catherine and Lucian seem to be complete opposites but find that they're really not. There is a little intrigue along with a slow burning romance. Lucian lost his memory when he was very young, and grew up on the streets, taken in along with a small group of homeless children, by a kindhearted street man. When Lucian kills a man who rapes his friend, it starts a random chain of e ...more
Ingie
Written December 26, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - In all parts tasteful, charming and entertaining. A lovely historical.

I’ve been listening to a wonderful 10 hrs audibook narrated by Susan Ericksen (and in parts Antony Ferguson) these Christmas days.

'In Bed With the Devil' was not just a very amusing listening when doing xmas-stuff it was also my first historical by Lorraine Heath. There will be more.
“The price you pay for waltzing with the devil is residing in hell.”

Enjoyed, liked and next to
Jonetta
My first Heath novel not set in America didn't disappoint. The same strong storytelling and well-developed characters show up here in England.

Lucian Langdon, known unaffectionately as the Devil Earl, is shunned by society because of his murky ancestry and dubious past. Lady Catherine Mabry seems to be the only one in their high circles who's not intimidated by him or feels threatened by society's disapproval of her acceptance of him. When she approaches him for help with an outrageous task, the
Lover of Romance
Catherine Mabry is desperate, after finding out that her closest friend is being abused, she is at her wits end. Her friend has no choice but to bear the abuse and put a smile on her face, but Catherine has different ideas about getting rid of this tormentor. She goes to the "Devil Earl" Lucian Langdon who is rumored to have killed, so she knows that he is the perfect person on the job. However when she sneaks into his residence but after sharing a sensual embrace, things start to heat up betwee ...more
Brigid
"When you love a  man, you will do anything to gain his favor."

"Even allow him to beat you?"

This did not work out. At all.

I read this while spending Xmas with the family. I didn't have much time to read, but I fit it in. I read my brothers some of the passages annnnnddd....Snortmas of 2014. There may have been beer and eggnog involved so, it may not have been as funny as we were making it out to be. Oliver Twist? More like Oliver shoves his dong in a haughty dame. Tra-la-la-la-la-la-LA.

The
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Aug08

Yes, I’m still on the historical spree. One or two more and I’ll swap genres for a bit to keep my brain fresh! Lorraine Heath turns up the heat in her latest Victorian era romance, “In Bed with the Devil”. At first I wondered if this would be a combination historical, paranormal story because of the title; however, the devil in said title refers to the Devil Earl, an Earl guilty of murder yet not charged with his crime. How delicious! Devout hist
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!

Luke and Catherine are so perfect for each other. I love both of them so much! I don’t know what took me so long to read this book but I am so happy I finally did.

Can’t wait to start Jack’s story tonight!
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Scandalising Stars

BR with Aly, who was pestering me about beginning this and now is probably not even halfway through!

This is my disapproving face Missy(I love this word)!

I liked the book. Katherine was fearless and Luke very intriguing. I'm too bored to write a full review though. I can't wait to read more about these scoundrels!

My only complaint is that the sex scenes are way too heavy on the "lovey, dovey" stuff and way too light on the "hot".
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️
I swear the nearer the end came, the surlier I became.
And to think, I started out thinking this was gonna be a waste of time.

There was nothing particularly weepy about it so I don't why I was so emotional to see it end. Just so much feels.

Bubu
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hr, 2-stars

Let's keep this sweet and short. There's nothing devilish about the hero. Typical Lorraine-Heath-style hero: nice and easily forgotten. The heroine was okay. The plot a little too contrived. (view spoiler) And this is the super-short-short-short-short version of i
Roksana
Self Note: This is not a romance...the hero pining after another woman and realising his love for the heroine at the very last page? SCREAMING SECOND BEST SCREAMS WEAK HERO???

Antonella
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great historical romance novel.
I loved it.
It has everything that I love in this sub-genre; smart and independent heroine & broody hero with a little bit of mystery and falling in love without realizing it.

Sorry for the short review but basically if you love historical romance and you haven't read this one, check your library and enjoy!!

Thanks to Radd for recommending it.
Brittany B.
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas, Eloisa James and Julia Quinn fans.
Recommended to Brittany B. by: Alkyoni
I once put this book aside, thinking it was boring. Then I teased my dear friend for recommending it....
But I was so wrong that I can't imagine what I should do to make it up to her!!!

This is my second Lorraine Heath book, the first one was The Outlaw and the Lady and I wasn't impressed. But this book is FANTASTIC!! The story had me engrossed, and the romance could not be better.
This book gave me butterflies in my stomach and made my heart pitter-patter on quiet a few occasions. I was left wit
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: audio_books
First off I have to say other than Highlander novels I'm not a huge fan of Historical Romances however; I loved this book!

This was my first read by Lorraine Heath and it kept me completely interested from beginning to end. The storyline, dialogue, and characters were fantastic, Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Susan Erickson was the narriator and she was fabulous!
Ursula
I have been re-reading some Lorraine Heath books and this was one I really enjoyed.

The heroine, Catherine, is beautiful, intelligent and strong. The hero, Luke, is tortured but basically a decent man. And gorgeous, of course. There is a good backstory, a nasty, wife-beating villain (actually two, but the first is already dead when we meet Luke for the first time) and an interesting range of characters. The miserable life of children born into the rookeries of London is given a Dickensian treatme
Addie H

- She’d thought she’d be dealing with the devil. And he was very slowly, in her eyes at least, beginning to resemble an angel. A dark angel, to be sure, but an angel nonetheless.

- One didn’t ask an angel to destroy the devil. One asked another devil. But he was not at all as she’d envisioned him to be.

- “You have an inordinate amount of confidence in my ability to win them over.”
“I do.” She touched her gloved hand to his cheek. “You’ve won me over.”

- “I don’t want a saint. I’ve always
Character Rating 3.5 Stars
Romance Rating 3 Stars
Heat Level 2 Stars
Overall Rating 3 Stars

I went back and forth on the rating of this book, and ended with a solid 3-stars, because I just didn't love it. It was good, but not great. I just felt there was something missing from the story and from the characters..

In fact, I felt most of the story was about this...
description

What I didn't like...
How much Luke loved Fannie, Frannie..whatever her name was. He looooved this chick right? Wanted
Jane Stewart
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quality historical romance. I enjoyed this.

It was a comfortable read. I smiled at times. There’s a nice long build up of the couple gradually falling in love. The conflict that kept them apart appealed to me. Lucian grew up on the streets with a gang of kids who were his family. Frannie was part of the group. Lucian and others love her like a sister. Lucian wants to get married and he believes Frannie is the one for him, but he doesn’t realize it’s sisterly love. He’s kind of stupid about h
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5

I am confused. Considering this story has one of the tropes I really hate, I shouldn't have loved it this much. I seem to like how Lorraine Heath writes her characters and the problems they face. This is her second book I've read and it definitely won't be the last. As I said before, I only started reading historical romances three or four years ago, so I am glad I have so many books and authors to discover.

As for that trope I mentioned, it's not cheating. I don't think even writing I like co
D.G.
Oct 09, 2012 marked it as dnf
Shelves: reviewed
I started this in audio but the prologue sounded so ridiculous that I almost burst a lung laughing. I mean really! Who can take a beginning like this seriously?

I often study the portrait of my father hanging above the massive fireplace in the grand library of my London residence and catalogue the similarities of our appearance.

The hair - black as the soot that lined the inside of a chimney.

The eyes - the shade of pewter that brought a fair price from fences.

The nose - a slender, knife-like shap
Gio Listmaker
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: April 2013
I am so glad I gave this book a try, it was heartbreaking and amazing and lovely.

2nd read: August 2014
Buddy read with Jo, hopefully :D She finished before me... the horror! :O :P

3rd read: September 2018
Buddy read with Sarah
I am tempting her to the HR side :)
Historical Romanc...: BOTM January 1 to 15, 2017 - In Bed with the Devil (Amnesia) 25 41 Jan 18, 2017 09:35PM
Let's Talk About ...: March Group Read - In Bed With The Devil 1 20 Mar 12, 2016 05:39AM
Your favorite Qoutes/sayings from book? 3 41 May 20, 2014 12:03PM
Pure Sizzle! 9 68 May 18, 2014 12:22PM

• A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • One Night with a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #3)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Bride for a Night
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin

Scoundrels of St. James (5 books)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
“You don't care what people think," he said.

She couldn't tell from the way he emphasized the words if he was asking a question or making an observation. Still, she felt obliged to answer.
"Of course I care. To a certain extent we all care, but we can't care to the point that we live in fear of others' opinion, that we allow them to change who we are. We must be willing to stand up and defend what represents the very core of our being. Otherwise what is the purpose of individuality? We'd be nothing but imitations of each other, and I daresay we'd all be rather boring.”
41 likes
“Sometimes having the dream makes you more content than having the reality.” 21 likes