Start by marking “The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road” as Want to Read:
The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road

The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  608 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
From the author of the very funny and successful Paranoids Pocket Guide, comes the ultimate self-help book for women. It's a guide to the open road that's strictly AAAthat's attitude, adventure, and ass-kicking good times. Filled with indispensable information such as how to get out of a speeding ticket without crying and 14 ways to open a beer bottle on your car, The Bad ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road

Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a hilarious book! As someone who has enjoyed a road trip or two (or MANY) in the past, I can't wait to test some of the advice out with MY "road sisters" (namely my friends Emilie and Colleen) the next time we all hit the road together.

The only thing I found disconcerting about this book was a blurb on Page 17 about finding Super Unleaded gasoline at under $1.25 a gallon, as I just celebrated the fact that I saw regular grade gas for under $4 dollars ($3.99, to be specific) at the Mobil St
Nicole M.
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I suppose if you want to be technical, you could say that I'm still in the process of reading this. I first discovered it while in the toilet at my aunt's house, and after I started reading it, I found it to be really addicting. Of course, you can't spend more than a half an hour in the toilet without people wondering what's wrong, so I read it a bit every time I get bored at the Aunt's house. Which is a lot. And it's absolutely hilarious, by the way.
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a fun, goofy, kinda book that keeps you entertained while sitting in a doctors office, attorneys office. Fast read, some fun ideas, some incorrect information (possibly because its outdated?), but this is certainly not a book I took at all serious. Would I carry it in my glove box during my next road trip? Probably not. Fun, but so is chasing shadows, so my dog tells me.
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
After living in a car for two months, I can say the road cooking section totally works. Dashboard coffee does the trick. I might however add the idea of stopping at Taco Bells and grabbing sauce packets; they're just the thing your engine salmon needs to be kickin'.
Jun 05, 2011 added it
semi useful mostly funny
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Officially the only book I have ever set on fire (it fell behind a heater) but it is a fitting cover modification to make it look like I am truly lived using this book. It is HILARIOUS!
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
After an over 500 page classic like the Satanic Verses, it was somewhat nice to have a book that contained the words orgasm and brain douche within the introduction alone. Right up my alley.

Now let's get some background on this lil pink (not my fave but I'll stomach it) book filled with crass humor. Who else could have given it to me but my own mother? Really, one family dinner with the Howes and you'll start understanding me a lot more. Unfortunately you won't be able to tell anyone because we'
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bad girls everywhere
Recommended to Candy by: No one
Title: Bad Girl's guide to the open road
Author: Cameron Tuttle
Copyright date: 1999
Publisher: Raincoast books
How many pages: 192 pgs
How long it took me to read: 21 days - I'm really not in the mood to read
Category: self-help
I learned about this book from: being obsessed with the series

This book was purchased at: Chapter's
This book is: a must have for the road
Other books by these authors: The bad girl's guide to getting personal, the bad girl's guide to the party life, the bad girl's guide to gett
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
It's a bit dated but that's okay. There's a lot they could have included, but maybe I'm more of a planner than this book looks for. There's a lot of questionable parts like cooking in the car and how to get out of a ticket. Some disgusting parts like telling you to leave your underwear in odd places like a microwave because it'd be fun? No, that's not fun. It forgot to tell you to bring a journal and camera. Also suggested to stay at seedy hotels to save money, I'd rather sleep in my car in a Wa ...more
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: travelers
Shelves: chic-lit
fun book to take on a road trip. full of odd tips. my favorite: if you're stopped by the fuzz and you've been drinking and have the better part of an open handle in the car get out slowly with the handle, hands in the air, until you're a few steps from the car, and immediately begin guzzling the liquor as fast as possible. this way they can't prove that you were drunk WHILE driving. of course, you're in trouble no matter what here.
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was a gift from my sister prior to my big road trip out to California. It's a fun book to keep handy if you're feeling adventurous on the road. The only drawback is that some suggestions in this book may get you shot. Keep that in mind as you peruse.
Liza Gilbert
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a completely frivolous romp into lite feminism. With easy access to short sections in the book that can be read independently from one another, it makes for a perfect travel tool. Besides, where else are you going to learn how to flirt successfully with the car in the other lane while driving 65 mph?
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
I think I bought this with the misguided notion I would give it to my goddaughter for her birthday. Once I got it home, I thought better of it.

Let's be clear - the reason for not giving it to my godchild was not because of any fear of contributing to her moral decline. It was because of the overall witlessness of the book.
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Funny, cute, and filled with good tips and some stupid tips for your next road trip with your girls. The parts that have stuck with me are the guide to cooking mini mart food under the hood of your car and the idea of sending yourself postcards from the road to relive your trip when you get home.
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a gift in college, and we took it with us on quite a few road trips. The most important lesson from the book: road trips can solve anything.

[I am rereading my old books and reviewing them as an adult.]
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book came to my roommate and I at the perfect time. It's witty, hilarious and entertaining (especially if you are driving and your passenger is reading it outloud). It had us laughing trough Washington, Oregon, California and a pick up at the Reno airport. Bad ass.
Laura Labine
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite - and most girl bonding - books ever. Having this in the glove compartment of my car is what cemented my early friendship with my best friend.......and it's even better that the entire book felt like a memoir to my already fun lived 20's.
Nancy Monson
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all true road sisters
Recommended to Nancy by: Suzanne Kauer - although I'm not sure she's even read it!
Loved this book! So many good ideas for travel . . and some really, really "bad" ones, too. Not necessarily for minors, some sexual references and off-color language, but all in all not offensive. Just fun!
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Car tips and road trip stories, all mixed in with fun ideas on how to make your life a little more... bad. A GREAT present for any young woman getting her first car, and always enjoyable to re-read on road trips. If there were 6 stars, this would get it!
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only handbook you'll ever need!
Chris Boyd
The first and the best. dont drive but learned the ways of the bad girl passenger
Becky Straub
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Oh this book makes me ache to go road-tripping! It's a great combination of practical tips and hilarious adventure ideas.
Karen Backe
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Hit and miss, but when it hits, totally laugh outloud funny.
Also, this is where i got my road trip handle: Waffles Minnesota.
This book is absolutely hilarious and absolutely necessary reading before any women takes a road trip.
Jul 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Cameron Tuttle grew an entire industry out of these trashy and fun little books.
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny and witty.
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tongue and Cheek... very funny

May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oh this book made me laugh so hard I peed my pants. Definitely should be required reading for a long road trip. You won't be able to put it down!
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
hillarious! who knew there were so many different uses for maxi pads!?
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect to insert this gem after a more tedious read :)
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • Living Juicy: Daily Morsels for Your Creative Soul
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Escaping Into the Open
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • Turkey
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • Teaching Reading in Middle School: A Strategic Approach to Teaching Reading That Improves Comprehension and Thinking
  • Darkside Zodiac

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be