Start by marking “Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, Volume One: Summary: Honouring the Truth, Reconciling for the Future” as Want to Read:

4.73  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This is the Final Report of Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission and its six-year investigation of the residential school system for Aboriginal youth and the legacy of these schools. This report, the summary volume, includes the history of residential schools, the legacy of that school system, and the full text of the Commission's 94 recommendations for action to a ...more
Published July 22nd 2015 by Lorimer

Be the first to ask a question about Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, Volume One

E Williams
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such an important and eye-opening text for non-Aboriginal Canadians. I am stunned by the depths of my own ignorance about my country's history and grateful for the avenues to future learning and action that this report has opened for me.

All Canadians should read it and consider how they can contribute to reconciliation.
Dorothy Hermary
A must read for all Canadians.

Emotional and factual this book provides details about the past and hope for the future. Rather than being an easy read it provokes emotional reactions of sadness and anger, angst and guilt, concern and hope.

Take the time, because it takes time to fully comprehend the facts as well as to forge bonds of compassion for the individuals who have been most affected by colonization and residential schools.
Amy Brown
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read the TRC report because I felt like I ought to. I believe Reconciliation is the other Big Project that faces Canada over the next 150 years (alongside climate change) and that it behooves me, and all other Canadians, to learn about the challenge and to figure out ways to participate in Reconciliation in our personal and work lives.

Having said that, I wasn't looking forward to reading it; it's a government publication, after all. I thought it would be dry, tedious, and depressing, but I was
Loretta
Not really a book I can write a review of. Except to say it is essential reading for all Canadians.
Kyla Squires
An uplifting and empowering document that all Canadians must read and act on.

In June I pledged to read the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's report at trcreadingchallenge.com, and I encourage you to do the same.

I imagine that like others who pledged to read it, I was concerned it would be a difficult and despondent read. I was expecting a dry government document on a terribly sad subject.

For starters, it is not a dry document. It is written in a straightforward, easy to read style, intersp
Andrew
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a Canadian citizen (of European descent) living in BC, as both a Treaty person and an occupier, I believe Canada's very legitimacy as a nation depends heavily on how well we engage with the responsibilities this report asks us to fulfill. It is a powerful account of our shared history, and a road map for the future which I hope we will all follow.
Jocelyn Beatty
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All Canadians should have to sit for a bit in the heaviness and shame of our collective past and, at the same time, be inspired by the tireless work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the brave souls who spoke out against the injustices done to them. This should be required reading across the country, as we all play a role in bearing witness to this part of history.
Shelley Motz
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and unflinching. Should be required reading for all Canadians.
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good introductory book to the history of residential schools and possible paths to reconciliation within our country. It should be recognized that this is a summary providing an overview of the many facets involved in this complex topic. While printed in a somewhat textbook format, the choice to focus on one topic, such as health, at a time, proceeding in a chronological manner within that topic, while intertwining quotes from residential school survivors and staff, makes it a more manageable ...more
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If the government implements the Calls to Action, this document can be a catalyst for overdue reparation and change. So far, I have not seen movement from the government.
Given how many people shared their stories, stories of pain of a level I cannot begin to comprehend, I hope the government, churches, and other parties implement the Calls with genuine and fully funded response. As a settler on this land, I will lobby the government to do so.
There is much I can do as a settler; I will listen an
Gail Amendt
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Canadians should read this book. I thought I knew all about residential schools, but I learned a lot. I was expecting a dull heavy read (after all, it is a government report), but I was surprised by its readability and straight forward style. The historical part is very interesting. I'm glad my book club decided to read it, but now I am ready for a light summer read.
Trisha Roberson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly important read for all Canadians, anyone living in Canada, and anyone who is interested in Canadian culture. This book is extremely well written and approachable, speaking unpleasant truths about Canada's history, but providing recommendations on how to move forward.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone in Canada should read this book.
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, non-fiction
I'm shocked that this hasn't been taught in schools up until now. I was lucky enough to have a junior high social studies teacher who showed us the movie "Where the Spirit Lives" in the early 90s. Had it not been for him, I too would have been clueless about what our ancestors inflicted on the Aboriginal people of this country. So glad that the recommendation around including residential schools in the curriculum is being accepted in many places.

This book is not in any way an easy read. It was
Samar
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t stress enough how important it is to read the summary of the Truth and Reconciliation final report. I hope all Canadians will take the time to read the summary and that it becomes part of the school curriculum at all levels across Canada. There is a great deal of ignorance when it comes to the history of First Nations and Indigenous peoples of Canada. This has resulted in a tremendous amount of racism and discrimination towards Canada’s first people on a social and governmental level. Th ...more
Jonathan Lavallee
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is required reading for all Canadians.
Sherald

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Living by the Word: Essays
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99