Start by marking “Cultivating the Mind of Love: The Practice of Looking Deeply in the Mahayana Buddhist Tradition” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Thich Nhat Hanh shares heartfelt moments in his own development—drinking the clear water of a hermit's well; becoming a monk to practice for his generation, society, and the world, and falling in love. Cultivating the Mind of Love-interweaves these themes with an examination of Buddhist texts.
Published January 1st 1996 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Cultivating the Mind of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultivating the Mind of Love

Ramkumar  R
A wonderful book on expositions on six main paramita’s of Mahayana Buddhism.
Along with monks and nuns Buddha also taught to ministers,kings,farmers,scavengers and thousands of other lay men and women.But by first century BC, practice of dharma had become so exclusively monastic that new intrerpretations became inevitable . .Sutras like Ugradatta and Vimalakriti are devoted to lay practice .The basic one is Prajanaparamita,some times described as the container carrying all other paramitas.

For Al
Jonathan Hastings
The effect of the book (especially part one) was (for me) transforming. It begins with a sweet story of Nhat's early experience with love and subsequently guides the reader in looking into his own experience. Ultimately revealing that if one sees properly there is no separation between ones first love and second love ... or even between one and another's love. There is a stream that runs before, inside, through, and beyond us, and there is great benefit to meditating on this stream, as it has br ...more
Sabrina
Jun 25, 2008 Sabrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sabrina by: Phil
Shelves: philosophy
I found this book stimulating, but I have to admit it was a bit much for me. The concepts were thought provoking, but I was unable to get behind the style it was written in and the many directions it took. Since it is such a positive book, I'll keep my review that way. I enjoyed the way it made you think about and cherish your first love, in order to better understand yourself and the world around you. My favorite part, was the discussion in the last chapter, about being mindful of the moment. F ...more
Mara
I've considered reading something by Thich Nhat Hanh on more than one occassion so when I encountered this book in the Unity Temple shop while visiting my brother in Kansas City, the occassion became now. In many ways this was a very simple yet profound read. Beautifully poetic and endlessly hopeful, the authors own love was offered as a means to examine where a human life and the Buddha's teachings, the one and the many, the now and the eternal connect. A similar message from another vantage po ...more
Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
It took me a while to get through this book - this seems more designed as a help for studying particular Buddhist sutra texts, not something I'm interested in doing. The tone is always gentle with Thich Nhat Hanh, but I could barely remember what he spoke of from one reading to the next. This would be helpful if you wanted in-depth study, but not so much for someone looking for reminders and maybe a few mantras to focus on during meditation.
Katherine
Reflecting and meditating on "The Beauty of Spring", I know it will be one of those passages that I will take with me for the rest of my life, for what it revealed. Anyone seeking a deeper understanding of love, I would recommend this book. Note, though,if you are unfamiliar with the foundations of Buddhism might want to give themselves plenty of time to get through the chapters.
Erik Dabel
I really like Thich Nhat Hanh's way of explaining Buddhist ideas. Not so over our heads that only the most learned can understand, but also in depth enough to get a good understanding of exactly what is going on.

I really like the concepts discussed in this short book. If only more people on this planet felt the same way, the world would be a better place!
This book was a graduation gift, and it was very timely. I read it over the course of just two or three days, it was difficult to put down. It was written very simply, so it was easy to grasp, but the message was very profound.
Joy
I love this book.
Caseyjfoley
Caseyjfoley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Anja Nölle
Anja Nölle marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Truc Dao
Truc Dao marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Ryan Kovacsik
Ryan Kovacsik marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Xuan
Xuan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Sami J.
Sami J. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Open Heart, Clear Mind: An Introduction to the Buddha's Teachings
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • The Eye of Spirit: An Integral Vision for a World Gone Slightly Mad
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Chop Wood, Carry Water
  • Life, Love, Laughter: Celebrating Your Existence
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Don't Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • How to Cook Your Life: From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • What Is Life?
  • Bioenergetics
  • The Dalai Lama: A Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings By and About the Dalai Lama
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh is a global spiritual leader, poet and peace activist, revered throughout the world for his powerful teachings and bestselling writings on mindfulness and peace.

His key teaching is that, through mindfulness, we can learn to live happily in the present moment—the only way to truly develop peace, both in one’s self and in the world.

Thich Nhat Hanh has published over 100 ti
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace