Start by marking “Cultivating the Mind of Love: The Practice of Looking Deeply in the Mahayana Buddhist Tradition” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Thich Nhat Hanh shares heartfelt moments in his own development—drinking the clear water of a hermit's well; becoming a monk to practice for his generation, society, and the world, and falling in love. Cultivating the Mind of Love-interweaves these themes with an examination of Buddhist texts.
Published January 1st 1996 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Cultivating the Mind of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cultivating the Mind of Love

Ramkumar  R
Oct 17, 2014 Ramkumar R rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book on expositions on six main paramita’s of Mahayana Buddhism.
Along with monks and nuns Buddha also taught to ministers,kings,farmers,scavengers and thousands of other lay men and women.But by first century BC, practice of dharma had become so exclusively monastic that new intrerpretations became inevitable . .Sutras like Ugradatta and Vimalakriti are devoted to lay practice .The basic one is Prajanaparamita,some times described as the container carrying all other paramitas.

For Al
George Araman
Apr 09, 2016 George Araman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Golden nuggets can be found in this book, only if you are ready ...
Jonathan Hastings
Jan 05, 2011 Jonathan Hastings rated it really liked it
The effect of the book (especially part one) was (for me) transforming. It begins with a sweet story of Nhat's early experience with love and subsequently guides the reader in looking into his own experience. Ultimately revealing that if one sees properly there is no separation between ones first love and second love ... or even between one and another's love. There is a stream that runs before, inside, through, and beyond us, and there is great benefit to meditating on this stream, as it has br ...more
AT
Oct 12, 2015 AT rated it really liked it
One the most poetic and affecting works I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh. Short. Bears re-reading. About love - particular and universal, and therefore also about life, change, beginnings, and ends. One does not need to be a Buddhist at all to appreciate it.
Sabrina
Jun 25, 2008 Sabrina rated it liked it
Recommended to Sabrina by: Phil
Shelves: philosophy
I found this book stimulating, but I have to admit it was a bit much for me. The concepts were thought provoking, but I was unable to get behind the style it was written in and the many directions it took. Since it is such a positive book, I'll keep my review that way. I enjoyed the way it made you think about and cherish your first love, in order to better understand yourself and the world around you. My favorite part, was the discussion in the last chapter, about being mindful of the moment. F ...more
Weread
Feb 20, 2016 Weread rated it it was amazing
Look at modern Buddism.
Mara
Nov 22, 2009 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've considered reading something by Thich Nhat Hanh on more than one occassion so when I encountered this book in the Unity Temple shop while visiting my brother in Kansas City, the occassion became now. In many ways this was a very simple yet profound read. Beautifully poetic and endlessly hopeful, the authors own love was offered as a means to examine where a human life and the Buddha's teachings, the one and the many, the now and the eternal connect. A similar message from another vantage po ...more
wly
Jul 27, 2015 wly rated it really liked it
Liked this book as it was unusual for a monk to embrace the topic of romantic love.
Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
It took me a while to get through this book - this seems more designed as a help for studying particular Buddhist sutra texts, not something I'm interested in doing. The tone is always gentle with Thich Nhat Hanh, but I could barely remember what he spoke of from one reading to the next. This would be helpful if you wanted in-depth study, but not so much for someone looking for reminders and maybe a few mantras to focus on during meditation.
Katherine
Sep 12, 2013 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Reflecting and meditating on "The Beauty of Spring", I know it will be one of those passages that I will take with me for the rest of my life, for what it revealed. Anyone seeking a deeper understanding of love, I would recommend this book. Note, though,if you are unfamiliar with the foundations of Buddhism might want to give themselves plenty of time to get through the chapters.
Erik Dabel
Sep 06, 2011 Erik Dabel rated it really liked it
I really like Thich Nhat Hanh's way of explaining Buddhist ideas. Not so over our heads that only the most learned can understand, but also in depth enough to get a good understanding of exactly what is going on.

I really like the concepts discussed in this short book. If only more people on this planet felt the same way, the world would be a better place!
May 27, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a graduation gift, and it was very timely. I read it over the course of just two or three days, it was difficult to put down. It was written very simply, so it was easy to grasp, but the message was very profound.
Joy
Oct 25, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
Joe Murphy
Feb 11, 2012 Joe Murphy rated it really liked it
Fascinating
Joey Kasz
Joey Kasz marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Michelle Cooper
Michelle Cooper rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Giulia Mirra
Giulia Mirra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Müge Kaltalıoğlu
Müge Kaltalıoğlu rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Jean-Francois Bourdeau
Jean-Francois Bourdeau marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Hendrik-Jan
Hendrik-Jan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Jasdeep Kaur
Jasdeep Kaur marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Jasmine Han
Jasmine Han marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Essemsee
Essemsee marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Justo Montibeller
Justo Montibeller marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Open Heart, Clear Mind: An Introduction to the Buddha's Teachings
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • The Eye of Spirit: An Integral Vision for a World Gone Slightly Mad
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Life, Love, Laughter: Celebrating Your Existence
  • Seven Complex Lessons in Education for the Future
  • From Fear to Fearlessness: Teachings on the Four Great Catalysts of Awakening
  • Chop Wood, Carry Water
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • The Dalai Lama: A Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings By and About the Dalai Lama
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • How to Cook Your Life: From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...