Start by marking “Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living” as Want to Read:
Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living

Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living

Developed during a summer retreat at Plum Village, Thich Nhat Hanh's meditation center, these charming short verses were collected to help children and adults practice mindfulness throughout the day. The verses, or gathas, are designed to make everyday activities — such as washing the dishes, driving the car, or turning on the television — opportunities to return to a stat ...more
Published December 29th 2006 by Parallax Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Present Moment Wonderful Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Present Moment Wonderful Moment

Charity
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last month I attended a women's retreat. At the retreat center, they had these little cards up all over the building with these great little meditations on daily living. All day, the meditations prompted me to pause and reflect as I washed my hands or looked in the mirror or took a step outside the front door. I loved the feeling of calm they facilitated.

My friend and I asked the women in charge of the retreat center where the cards were from, and they said they were Thich Nhat Hanh meditations,
Lynne
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, lovely book, small but powerful in a gentle way. A wonderful addition to anyone's library, this unassuming text offers a simple, but potent, method for cultivating mindfulness in the midst of ordinary daily life. Even if you're not Buddhist, the method and the verses are useful (many or most of the verses can easily be adapted to whatever is more appropriate for one's spiritual path).
Ewa Krzeminska
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The power of "Here and Now" A Lifetime Practice!
Maureen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism, poetry
I like collections of aphorisms, pithy sayings, and short poems. Sometimes the mind just needs a quick jolt of something different. For those times, this is a good book. It is divided into sections, with verses for starting the day, verses for meditiation, verses for eating mindfully, and verses for other activities. Following each short poem, there is a commentary by Thich Nhat Hanh. Here is the poem and the first paragraph for one selection:

Washing the Dishes

Washing the dishes
is like bathing a
Mario
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet -- if you don't mind getting creative!: For a graduate school class on meditative practices, I used this book for an experiment. I took the verses and memorized many, and changed the rest to suit my particular situations. I made up new verses -- in the same style -- to complement situations not described in the book. I found this to be an effective way to minimize my daily stress. As just a book for your nightstand, this one will probably not be useful or very interesting. But fo ...more
Lauren
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think everyone should read this book. i would buy it for all my friends if i could. it gives you such an amazing outlook living in the present moment. this book has changed my life and helped me realise that it is possible to create your own inner peace and your own happiness.
David
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still rely on a breathing meditation verse from this book when I find myself becoming overwhelmed... So simple, yet so incredibly powerful.
Joy
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple wisdom from a great Zen master, which can be practiced in everyday life.
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book when I was in college and I honestly did not “get it” at all. But, after I read A Tale for the Time Being and also learning about Ozeki’s face in the mirror experiment (I want to read that soon), I was reminded of this book and also inspired to think about how all of the repetitive tasks that I do at work can serve as mindfulness practices. Reading this book now really resonates with me and I find it very helpful. Some of my favorite ones are about hugging your child, taking time ...more
Gina Simmons
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful calming meditations one can use every day to generate a mindful, peaceful, alert state of mind.
Shilo
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had some great insights, but was also a bit too repetitive for my liking. I will take from it what I can use and leave the rest.
Rachel
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I love this. There are meditations for all different moments like waking up, eating breakfast, doing dishes, going to the bathroom...a reminder that all of life can be mindful and prayerful.
J. Joan
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and pleasant, TNH helps you to find simple ways to open your mind over several ordinary moments in a day. My favorite is right in the beginning - a reminder to smile when you wake up every day to 24 new hours of opportunity.
Sabine
bevat mooie oefeningen voor als je in je boeddhistische fase zit.
Heidi Pickett
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear and insightful. Not much to say about it. It speaks for itself. Keep it simple, ironically.
Human nature is a delicate thing. No matter how much you hate someone or are upset with them, there are lines that you never cross. Things that you should never bring up nor say out of respect for the other person. Using hate to throw deep negativity their way. So leave these people and their ego. Turn away and totally remove yourself. Whatever they do, say, write...allow no contact towards you.
Nickie
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#53 "The day is ending,
our life is one day shorter.
let us look carefully
at what we have done.
let us practice diligently,
putting our whole heart into the path of meditation.
let us live deeply each moment in freedom,
so time does not slip away meaninglessly."

--Just keep trying...we are getting there...in time...get up and try again...keep surrendering...letting go and trying get again and again. There is hope. There is gladness. THere is fear at times but becoming less and less.
Taymara Jagmohan
Before, I looked at religion as a waking up-showering-praying. I knew without doubt that it was more than that. I was not there yet, but now; it is different. :) Been happening for months, and the feeling you have is not for English eyes. :) Do not expect an description, but if you really are; here!

It is wonderful!!! :)

Gathas are beautiful. :) A lotus, for you perhaps.

UP THE SLEEVES OF EARTH, I WALK. It is so beautiful :)

Until next time,
Good night. :)
ozzy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eloquently written, these gathas are simple yet sophisticated. I feel this short book would have an enormous impact on anyone who is trying to be mindful in every task and events of life. From cleaning toilet to mediating, the gathas in this book advises us how every task that we consider mundane or impractical are as important as life. It teaches you to appreciate little things and be mindful.
Chanita.Shannon
Reading these poetic and practical verses can help us slow down and enjoy each moment of our lives. There are verses for waking up to "twenty-four brand new hours," taking a shower, answering the telephone, and starting the car. Present Moment Wonderful Moment is an inspiring handbook of mindfulness poems for everyday life.
Alexia Hoffstaetter
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoy the works of Thich Nhat Hanh and I found "Present Moment Wonderful Moment" short and sweet. It reminded me that sometimes I need to just slow down, cast aside worries and fears about the past and future and just to live in the moment no matter what I'm doing.
Brian
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This small book is a wonderful companion piece for your mindfulness practice. Written by the famous Vietnamese activist Buddhist monk, there are "verses" that focus on daily activities, drawing out the potential meaning and connection to mindfulness in each.
Tony
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a short, beautiful book about mindfulness and appreciating everything going on in the moment. I strongly recommend this book to people who love life. The present moment is the wonderful moment.
Yvonne
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful gatha's for different times in your day (driving, washing dishes, getting out of bed) and wonderful reminders to live a mindful life and be present in all you do. Stop the rushing and enjoy the journey.
Cynthia
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource in learning that the best moments of living are breathing in the stillness of simplicity.

I owe my latest haiku, Dragonfly Comes to Visit, http://www.ojhasmagazine.com/august-2... to the grace Thich Nhat Hanh invokes in us.
Anita
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A wonderful book I turn to time and again for reminders to wake up and not miss the beauty in the every day, from gardening to meeting new people, eating, household cleaning and even using the toilet (!) Naht Hanh points out simple ways to live each moment more mindfully.
Matt Harris
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still getting a lot out of this on a daily basis.
No matter how caught up I am or apparently living in the moment...
This man has one of the greatest understandings of shunyata I have come across. This book isn't the place for that, (The Heart of Understanding is the one I think.)
James
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful daily verses and mantras (some of which I wrote and posted around the apartment:)
Brian
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Always good to return and reread. Mindfulness is an ongoing project.
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me bring the mindfulness of my meditation practice into my daily activities. I have kept it handy for years.
Jenny Reeverts
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pick this up periodically to read individual sections. From most of what I've read, the book thus far has a calming effect on my mind and helps me feel more present.
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Learning True Love: Practicing Buddhism in a Time of War
  • Classics of Indian Spirituality: Includes: The Bhagavad Gita, The Dhammapada, and The Upanishads
  • The Way To Freedom
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Chop Wood, Carry Water
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • The Pema Chodron Collection: The Wisdom of No Escape: Start Where You Are: When Things Fall Apart
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last