Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ” as Want to Read:
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  70,688 ratings  ·  2,377 reviews
Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Edition, 384 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  70,688 ratings  ·  2,377 reviews

Start your review of Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
Taka
Descriptive but not very practical--

The main and only thesis of the book is: emotional intelligence is important. That's it. Goleman spends over 13 hours in this audiobook to pretty much buttress the thesis with evidence from various sources including psychology, medicine, and educational programs.

The content is interesting at times but overall, the message got repetitive and I was looking for any useful information to put to use in my daily life from the book to no avail.

Unfortunately the book
Jim
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This visionary book by Daniel Goleman is one of the most important in my collection. I see it as a seminal contribution to understanding the human condition, and a roadmap of practical steps for living better, both within ourselves and with those around us.

I begin by recommending the excellent review by Lars - a clear, well-written summary of the major points in the book.

Here I will focus on 3 topics from the book: 1) the evolution of brain mechanisms for emotional and rational behavior; 2) how
Jan-Maat
Emotional Intelligence is a book that was recommended to read on a management course that I took, oh, some time way back towards the beginning of the century. The course was taught by a middle aged white woman from southern-Africa. She also recommend Covey's book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, but in my enthusiasm that didn't put me off from reading this, perhaps because of an exercise she conducted with us in which you think of something that you'd like to do but haven't done and ...more
Lars Guthrie
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
After several years of looking at this seminal work on my to-read list, I am happy to have finally read it. It should be on the to-read list of educators and parents.

To learn and to grow, children first need to be ready to learn and to grow. However, how and what we need to learn today can differ significantly from the requirements of our ancestors. Evolution equipped us with an early warning system, the limbic system of our brains and its marvelous filter, the amygdala.

This system connects
Andrew
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
It certainly contains a lot of useful info, but boy, is it ever dense! Reading it is like hacking your way through a dense jungle with a dull machete. It must also be noted that it is most definitely of the school of 80's/90's "hard-wired" thinking about the brain, and hard-sells the view that, to put it simply, mind comes from brain, and not the other way around. In other words, nature, not nurture. (For comparison, try Sharon Begley's Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain, which, oddly enough, ...more
Amir Tesla
Recommended to: If you think you don't have a high IQ and thus, your are condemned to a mediocre life.

What this book is about:
The apostleship of the book is twofold, Firstly it is to convince you that EQ matters far more than IQ in achieving high levels of success and it does it perfectly through providing N+1 lengthy repetitive case studies.
Second, it provides an almost accurate introduction to what EQ is, what elements contribute to a high EQ and finally what the consequences of strength and
Tina
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after a big break up and it really opened my eyes to how I contributed to that break up. It's extremely important to have emotional intelligence and this is a fascinating discussion behind the theory and science of EI.
Jim
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some interesting things in the book, things that are hard to disagree with, such as emotional skills and self-knowledge are important. I think a lot of people who liked this book focused on that self-help aspect. I have no problem with that. My problems with this book stem from the wider claims Goleman makes for EQ as a mental function.

Goleman bases this aspect of his theory on some whopping assumptions. The biggest one is the idea that emotional intelligence even exists. The main
DR.AmiraSalah
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Old but Gold ...more
Kristl
Apr 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who throws things when angry or doesn't cry, ever
I had to read this book for a leadership academy I was in and I found this to be a surprisingly good experience.

The book introduces and explains the concept of "emotional intelligence," which, since beginning to read the book, I see is so much more important than almost any other awareness one could have on a day-to-day basis personally and professionally.

Don't be shocked, if, in describing the many levels of emotional intelligence or lack thereof, you immediately think of friends, family, and
Mahmut Homsi
I think the best part of the book is when he explained about the five major components of the emotional intelligence as:

1. Self-awareness: Recognize and understand your own moods and motivations and their effect on others. To achieve this state, you must be able to monitor your own emotional state and identify your own emotions. Emotional Maturity in this trait shows:
-Confidence
-Sense of humor (can laugh at self)
-Aware of your impression on others (can read the reactions of others to know how
Lyn Elliott
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this years ago - the reading date of 2004 is entirely arbitrary and I'm writing this at the end of 2015.
I remember the essential messages vividly, especially his discussion of why emotional thresholds differ, and the importance of counting to 10 to let the rational brain kick in over the primitive amygdala response. A good deep breath goes a long way.
I love the concept of emotional intelligence - very useful in dealing with others.
Gage
Aug 15, 2007 marked it as to-read
If you're like me, you're extremely leery of anything that reeks of pop psychology. But Emotional Intelligence has no such odor. First, author Daniel Goleman is the real deal. He has his PhD, of course, as do many snake oil salesmen, but unlike these others, Goleman has academic street cred: he founded an institute at Yale, heads up another at Rutgers, and wrote science columns for the New York Times.

At first glance, I can see that this book, though written more than 10 years ago, still packs a
Mimi
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mimi by: IRL book club pick for summer 2017
The subtitle "Why It Can Matter More Than IQ" is misleading.

It should be "Why It MIGHT Matter More Than IQ (provided you're comparing people of similar age, education, background, career, aspiration, social economic status, race, ethnicity, gender, and so on and so forth)."

The group that was looked at in this book was executives, and what the author found was that the thing that set these people apart from their peers and others vying for the same positions is people skills. When you're good
Katja
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Emotional Intelligence produced such conflicting feelings in me that I am torn as to what to write about it. For the most part, it is well-written, intelligent and compelling. The messages are simple yet profound, and I have to agree that the importance of social and emotional skills can’t be understated. On some level I think Daniel Goleman and I think in much the same way, and even though the book is 15 years old now, on the whole it is as applicable as it ever was.

*disclaimer – angry rant
Thomas
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book that delves into the science behind emotional intelligence, the components that comprise the trait, and the practical applications of possessing EI. While I knew a decent amount of the information beforehand as a Psychology student, several points stood out to me, such as the explanation of child molesters' mindsets, the idea that abused children gain heightened emotional perceptiveness, and almost all of the brain-related information. My favorite sections appeared toward the end, ...more
Alok Mishra
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is informative and it can certainly be enjoyed by the readers - serious as well as casual page-flippers. The book has a lot of useful information for the first category readers and a number of interesting facts for the second category readers. I read it somewhere in-between and was delighted as well as informed.
Paul Fulcher
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A difficult book to review and my 2 stars are an honest reflection on what I gained personally from reading the book, rather than what the world gained from the book having been written.

This was clearly a groundbreaking and seminal work, particularly in bringing the important topic of emotional intelligence to a wide audience. However, that doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile read 20 years later, particularly for those in search of practical advice.

There is a significant focus on how the
Wendy Yu
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The funny thing about reading old seminal books that have already made their point is that your natural attitude toward their genius society-shaking discoveries is "duh"

Emotions are important. duh.
Emotional competence is a better predictor of success than intelligence. duh!
Once you recognize your emotions, they lose their power, as you are more able to manage with reason. duh! duh!
Anger works like Super Mario Bros., triggering events in quick succession cause you to jump up higher and higher
Stevie
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: secular
Insightful book on the importance of relating well with others and being in tune with one's emotions.

Poignant Quotes:

...childhood and adolescence are critical windows of opportunity for setting down the essential emotional habits that will govern our lives.

...social intelligence is both distinct from academic abilities and a key part of what makes people do well in the practicalities of life.

social competence - how well or poorly people express their own feelings

With a complaint a person
HuDa AljaNabi
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
As part of my training program, I had to read this book. I came through the chapters and videos of Danial Goleman and appreciate his 4 divisions of emotional quotient. Hence, I already have the empathy and social skills -although the latter need to improve a little bit- the other two-parts require development in different aspects.
Mon Maryum
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Firstly, I don't agree with the title of the book. One shouldn't matter more than the other but rather, there needs to be a balance of IQ, EQ and CQ. We need every aspect of intelligence and not just have a push-pull relationship like 'This is important but oh, this matters less that THAT intelligence".

Most of the contents in the books seemed unnecessary to me. It is mainly the author just rambling on and on about all the stories he heard in all his life of other people (or at least, it seems
Lize
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
When I first read this book in 1995--the year it was published--it was required reading for my job in human resources consulting, and I found it amazing and insightful. Fifteen years later it still has some good things to say, but knowing how we've not only ignored Goleman's advice but actually run in the opposite direction (empathy, anyone?) it just made me sad.

The book concerns itself with a key set of characteristics he calls 'emotional intelligence': abilities such as being able to motivate
Ill Lily
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would expect the psychology editor of the New York Times to reference more psychologists than Freud, but alas. The basic make up of this book consists of common sense and cheaply thrilling anecdotes. Studies provided leave you thinking, "Well, duh." I felt it lacked any kind of enlightening information, and I had to stopy three quarters through.
Hanne
I'm wondering whether this book is perhaps a bit outdated. It is 20 years old, and many of the things we take for granted now might not have been at the time. This book, above anything else, feels like a massive pamphlet to tell us that emotional intelligence is critical. And it shows what happens if we don't have it (either because of brain malfunctioning or bad parenting).

This day and age I think very few people still need convincing that there is such a thing as emotional intelligence; we
Brian Yahn
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the scientific beginnings of this book, explaining how emotions actually function in the brain, and how the brain evolved to handle them. But as the book progresses, it becomes a about marriage counseling and self-help, which I guess could he fine if I you a marriage to manage, but I don't.
Vignesh Umapathy
Daniel Goleman explains the psychological and biological backgrounds of human emotions. He elaborates on the importance of Emotional Intelligence and how it has to be cultivated from childhood. This is done through citing a myriad of research.

I cannot recall anything special about this book but this is a standard work nonetheless.
Shira
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childabuse, ptsd
He references many good works , like Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery , to build a strong case for neuroplasticity and lifelong learning, and even undoing previous or childhood traumas, as a lifelong task.
Kholoud Fathi
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book for you to read !
People misinterpret books like these that they are going to change them in a day or two, forgetting that change itself is a life long process
This is not a do or not book ,you will not find definitive answers only summation of new questions are raised, those types of authers who spot the light on a new aspect of human nature -enlighting a new complexity of humans- are my favourite

The auther takes us in a journey to the human mind (a pioneer),very
Ann
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is such a powerful reference & insights on understanding how people function in society and interact with each other, convincing his ideas with compact data and finding. Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue and every person must be able to understand and master his emotions if they are to succeed in life. It gives a lot of interesting background on how these things impact all our daily lives--from professional relationships to personal ones. ...more
Emtional Intelligence 2 54 Feb 06, 2016 07:24AM

• Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
  • Games People Play
  • Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types
  • Man's Search for Meaning
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • The Definitive Book of Body Language
  • The Art of Loving
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR
  • Think and Grow Rich
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential
“In a very real sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels” 103 likes
“Anyone can become angry —that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way —this is not easy. ARISTOTLE, The Nicomachean Ethics” 44 likes