Start by marking “The Balmoral Incident” as Want to Read:
The Balmoral Incident

The Balmoral Incident

(Rose McQuinn #8)

Rose McQuinn is invited to stay with her friend Olive who has a small cottage on the Balmoral Estate. As Rose travels on the train with her trusty dog Vane and her niece Mabel, she wonders what exciting adventures await them at the Royal household. Little does she realise that within just 48 hours of their arrival, death will have visited the great castle Can Rose find out ...more
Published August 20th 2015 by Allison & Busby (first published October 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Balmoral Incident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Balmoral Incident

Start your review of The Balmoral Incident
Anne
Another fascinating novel by Alanna Knight, featuring Rose McQuinn. This is a lovely book, which I became engrossed in, never guessing who the guilty party was and surprised and shocked to discover the truth.

Rose McQuinn is a great character, very spirited, unafraid, and a loving stepmother to Meg. I admire Rose's character and the way she takes on challenges, facing danger and using her investigative skills to the full.

This particular novel sees Rose meeting up with her sister and brother in la
Rog Harrison
I have read and enjoyed many of the author's books but some of her recent ones have been disappointing. I am not sure how old the author is but she must be at least in her late 80s and possibly in her 90s and I wonder if she is simply getting confused and needs a better editor. In this book a few things grated with me. On a couple of occasions she mentions being followed to Scotland but the whole book is set in Scotland! On another couple of occasions she seems to misunderstand the meaning of pe ...more
Theresa
Apr 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a dire book my first from this author and the last. It was a confusing read and not particularly well written. I was still waiting for things to happen when I reached the half way stage where I just gave up. Bit like a family diary of a holiday away.
Phil Butcher
I usually enjoy this historical mystery series. This one was weaker than normal. The plot was so slow and the denouement obvious from very early on.
Janine
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story which involved my local area and city, Aberdeen. I felt for the dog Thane, was going to be part of the royal household but ends up being poisoned. Famous name dropping as well. Enjoying this author.
Priscila Marchiori
2.5 really
Eva Falconer
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The narrator is from N E Scotland so her voice added to my enjoyment of a story set in Deeside my home area.
Renny Barcelos
Not all bad but too cozy for my taste.
GeraniumCat
This was disappointing. It's the first of Alanna Knight's books I've read, and I expected more from an author who seems to be highly acclaimed. To be fair, it's a gentle enough story, but the setting - the Balmoral estate - isn't especially well realised, and some of the characterisation seems rather perfunctory. It was a bit hard to care about them really. I felt the author had rushed it through. And I didn't really like the slight supernatural overtones, I can't see that they added anything.

Th
Westward Woess
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first book I read by Alanna Knight and I was sorely disappointed.

I found the characters to be flat and stereotypical and I have to agree with one of the characters when he told the detective that she was a "bad detective". Speaking of the mystery, it was rather poor. It was forced along until the last 40 pages.
Claudia
Another disappointment. The plot is confusing, the story very slow, and Rose is at her worst... a sad ending for a series that I really enjoyed at the beginning :(
Dewi
Oct 06, 2016
Soilikki
Oct 04, 2015
Pete
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2021

• The Comfort Book
  • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
  • Loveless
  • You Are Loved
  • Midnight Sins (The Callahans, #1)
  • 1421: The Year China Discovered America
  • Reputation
  • The Lying Room
  • Magma
aka Margaret Hope

Alanna Knight MBE has published more than sixty novels (including sixteen in the acclaimed Inspector Faro series, and seven featuring his daughter Rose McQuinn), as well as non-fiction, true crime and several books on Robert Louis Stevenson, numerous short stories and two plays since her award-winning first book ‘Legend of the Loch’ in 1969. A founding member and Honorary Presiden

Rose McQuinn (8 books)
  • The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)
  • Dangerous Pursuits (Rose McQuinn, #2)
  • An Orkney Murder (Rose McQuinn, #3)
  • Ghost Walk (Rose McQuinn, #4)
  • Destroying Angel (Rose McQuinn, #5)
  • Quest for a Killer (Rose McQuinn, #6)
  • Deadly Legacy