Start by marking “Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler” as Want to Read:
Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

You ve made it! Your baby has turned one! Now the real fun begins. From temper tantrums to toilet training, raising a toddler brings its own set of challenges and questions and Toddler 411 has the answers. Following on the heels of the best-seller Baby 411, Toddler 411 bottles the wisdom of parents who ve been there, done that . . . and combines it with solid medical advic ...more
Paperback
Published September 25th 2015 by Windsor Peak Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler 411, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler 411

Amanda
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zeke, non-fiction
Written in a pretty humorous way that makes it more approachable. Lots of basic information-- especially medical-- that may come in handy as my son gets older. I was a little dissatisfied with it, however, because it had almost nothing on weaning or sleep issues, which I'm particularly interested in. Seems like they assume that those things are water under the bridge once you're child reaches one. They are also proponents of a very regimented and organized life which might not work for every par ...more
Alicia Shafer
Ok. Some stuff was helpful, other stuff was the kind of stuff that can make you crazy.
Michelle
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers, Fathers,
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather Bodnar
Shelves: parenting
Sassy Summary: This no-nonsense reference guide aims to save its reader a trip to the doctor’s office by providing easy-to-find answers to common questions (How Often Should My Child Pee?) to advice on handling Picky Eaters. Success! The index and glossary are comprehensive. It’s funny. It’s smart. It’s reassuring. My only complaint is that the organic food recommendations gave me anxiety and made me afraid to put anything in my child’s mouth.

Quotable Writing: Follow the “Two Stop” Rule. Gettin
Liz
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-helps
Great reference book. I stumbled upon it at the Library, but now want it for my own book shelf. The concluding chapters on illness and First Aid are something I would like to have at my fingertips when needed.

Many authors of mom-help books try to use humor -- and completely fail. Fields might just be the first one I've seen succeed. Her humor comes at just the right time, and it isn't forced.

If I go through the baby stage again, I'll have a copy of Baby 411 on hand. I'm sure it is just as fabul
Jaime Lee
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Toddler 411 (much as its predecessor, Baby 411) is a great book to have on hand when you have a question about your child that you don't feel warrants a doctor call, and yet you feel you need a little bit more than your own common sense. It's straight-laced answers are very calming in the wake of some of toddlerhood's scariest scenarios for a parent (illness, etc.). The Q&A form in which it's written makes things easy to find. Once you've read it through once, you can easily revert back to p ...more
Sera
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barnes and Noble
This book provides a comprehensive overview of what parents can expect in the toddler years. Mostly a reference tool for quick answers, I'll likely start here, and then read more in depth from my other parenting books that delve into the various subject matter more deeply.

My favorite parts were the developmental milestones and when to take your child to the ER versus to the doctor versus the need for no medical visit at all. This approach is taken in different ways in regard to various topics,
Angela
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My two year old was an embarrassment today. This book is calming, positive and concise. One uplifting part of reading parenting books is knowing that you don't have ALL the problems addressed, just some of them. And, furthermore, you are mostly doing it just fine.

This series is a mother's refuge and tolerably short enough for father's to read the sections mothers have tabbed. Gift it. They will thank you.
chanceofbooks
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a lot of toddler books lately, and this is one of the best. I love the easy to follow format, and I love the emphasis on practical solutions that are child-centered. I really like how encompasses so many aspects of toddlerhood in one easy reference versus one book for discipline and one for nutrition etc.
Deanna
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the numerous books out there, I've loved the 411 series for babies and toddlers. Packed full of great information. This book is as much as primer for dealing with the toddler years as it is a reference. Well written, easy to digest, interesting and most importantly helpful.
Becks
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Baby 411. Focuses far more on diseases, injuries, etc. so will likely come in handy as an encyclopedia. Didn't like the recommended approaches to discipline and would recommend the Janet Lansbury books for that instead.
Alex
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
It's a little dated. I'm curious as to whether there's a new edition out. Otherwise, this book is great! Covers everything from development to potty training to first aid and illnesses to nutrition and everything in between. Definitely helpful for a new mom of a toddler! I highly recommend especially if you're curious or concerned about what to expect in toddlerhood.
Lindsey Orlando
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reference, just like Baby 411! There's a lot of duplicate info between the books where it's relevant to both infants and toddlers, but this book also covers a lot of toddler-specific topics. I haven't read the entire thing since I have less time to read now, but it's easy to skip straight to the parts I need when I have questions.
Kasim
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for helping you raise your toddler
Ashley Sala
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found it helpful and like the home recipes for binge like pedialyte and ear and nose drops
Erin
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Toddler 411 because I enjoyed the authors' Baby Bargains book so much. The authors have a matter-of-fact style to parenting and I appreciate their non-judgmental approach to controversial topics. Overall, Toddler 411 was much of what I expected from them.

The book is an encyclopedia of toddler. It covers everything you could imagine: milestones, weird but normal behaviors, potty training, transitioning to a big kid bed, and a whole chapter on poop (if you have a toddler then you know
ACRL
Feb 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Christina Chan-Park. Learn more about Christina on the ACRL Insider Blog.
Misty
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that delves into many differet issues you may run into as a parent. The advice is helpful and informative. I think whenever you read books like this you have to be knowledgeable about your child and family, and ultimately make the best decisions for your child regardless of some peoples' opinions; however, this has great information covering everything from sickness, sleep problems, medications, and old wives tales. Some of the stories are humourous, and the book is jus ...more
Cathryn
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best no-nonsense parenting book series out there. It won't tell you what to expect or any of the other stuff the get-in-touch-with-yourself feel-good parenting books like to spend time philosophizing. THIS book tells you exactly when to call the doctor, what to look for in each symptom and when to just calm down. They keep it real with many charts and cheat sheets to help you get the knowledge you need fast! The very best book for middle of the night, sleep deprived parenting. We recommend this ...more
Kelli Oliver George

BUY THIS BOOK

Hands down, this book combined with Toddler 411 are the parenting books I would own if I could only have two. They have absolutely everything you need for your child up to about kindergarten in 2 concise volumes that are easy to read, entertaining (you'll laugh out loud) and most importantly, are conveniently organized as a reference tool. The overall tone of these two books is that of a "Hey, you'll be okay Grasshopper." one that is comforting and reassuring.
Rachel
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I picked this up in the new book section at the library, and since I have a very rambunctious 17 month old, I needed some help. I had questions about illness, bodily functions, behavior problems, and eating habits. Honestly, I just wanted to makes sure the way he was acting was normal, as he is my first child and I'm still pretty new at this parenting gig. This book answered my questions and assuaged my fears. I recommend it to parents, 4 stars.
nicole
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
When waiting for baby #2, I outsourced this reading to my husband to better understand our toddler. He really enjoyed the scope of this, but I still had to borrow it 100 times from the library only to give it a glancing read. My main concerns - potty training, tantrums, overall discipline, food allergy management, eczema - were covered but not as deeply as I felt I needed for this moment in time.
Jamie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, solid book an the medical side of raising a toddler. It covers everything from first aid to nutrition guidelines to constipation. It teaches you the signs you need to look for in oder to know whether to wait a medical issue out or seek immediate attention. My favorite sections were on potty training & vaccinations. Everything was clear and easy to understand and told in a way that doesn't scare the reader.
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is a killer! I have already laughed about things my kid is already doing. It gives me great reassurance too that even though Chance despises milk I can keep feeding him cheese, yogurt & even ice cream to counter the balance without feeling bad. Proving to be a must have on my home reference shelf!!!
Alison
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My boyfriend Logan is turning three, and has been having lots of temper tantrums lately, so I wanted to see if the experts could recommend any strategies for coping. It turns out I am already helping him the way the author suggests, guess all that child-rearing experience is coming in handy, but it was nice to know that I'm on the right track.
Maggie Hall
This book was somewhat helpful and slightly humorous. But at least the second half was about scary problems or diseases your kid could develop- and seeing as the book is written by doctors, that shouldn't surprise me.
All in all, don't freak out when you read it. It does have some handy charts and cheat sheets in it (like rashes/medication/etc.) but all in all, a bit alarmist at times.
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
helpful advice at a time when I felt I was failing as a mother. It reassured me that it is the rare toddler that doesn't throw food, eats all the nutritious food put before him, and indicates his wants/needs verbally! It would be a nice reference book, but definitely not a book to read cover to cover.
Anna
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved Baby411 after a pediatrician recommended it the day after I had my daughter. Now that she's one, I had to get the toddler edition. So much good, straight forward information. You don't need an MD to understand this book. Everything from milestones to discipline to shots to rashes. Recommended without hesitation!
Gingeraltoids
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-on to Baby 411. I have read this book over and over and refer to it often. It does repeat some of the info from Baby 411 that is still relevant, but adds a lot of new info as well. It seems that every time something changes with my son or a new issue crops up, I find another relevant gem in the book.
Melia
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I have a very active toddler, I don't have time to sit down and search through myriads of info in an attempt to find answers a specific problem. Toddler 411 has a very detailed index that allows me to find the specific topic I'm looking for as well as offering practical solutions without making me overly paranoid the way other books tend to do.
Sunee
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one book I turn to when I need guidance for medical issues and random toddler stuff like making the leap from crib to big kid bed. Whenever I have raised a question during a pediatric visit, it seems as though the Dr or NP's response is exactly what I have read in this book. So much better than all the other toddler advice guides out there.
  • Expecting 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Pregnancy
  • 1, 2, 3... the Toddler Years: A Practical Guide for Parents & Caregivers
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • The Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 Fun, Creative, Screen-Free Learning Games and Activities to Stimulate Your 3- to 6-Year-Old Every Day of the Year
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Stress-Free Potty Training: A Commonsense Guide to Finding the Right Approach for Your Child
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Potty Training Boys the Easy Way: Helping Your Son Learn Quickly--Even If He's a Late Starter
“Vaccines do not work as well if a large number of folks opt out of the system. Vaccines are not 100% effective in any one individual. It is the collective immunity of the population (known as herd immunity) that keeps a germ from reaching epidemic proportions. You may think that if everyone else’s kid is protected then your child doesn’t need to be. But . . . germs don’t think that way. They just look for a new person to infect. And the more people who opt out, the more vulnerable the entire population is (particularly its youngest members).” 0 likes
“Choking Hazards: What to avoid Every year, 10,000 kids under the age of 14 choke on something and end up in the emergency room. Seventy-five percent of those children are under three years of age. And sadly, some of those kids die. Want to know what the deadliest choking hazard is? Hot dogs. Other food choking hazards include grapes, peanuts, hard carrots, and hard candies.” 0 likes