Start by marking “Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler” as Want to Read:
Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler

You ve made it! Your baby has turned one! Now the real fun begins. From temper tantrums to toilet training, raising a toddler brings its own set of challenges and questions and Toddler 411 has the answers. Following on the heels of the best-seller Baby 411, Toddler 411 bottles the wisdom of parents who ve been there, done that . . . and combines it with solid medical advic ...more
Published September 25th 2015 by Windsor Peak Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Toddler 411, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toddler 411

Start your review of Toddler 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Toddler
Amanda
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, zeke
Written in a pretty humorous way that makes it more approachable. Lots of basic information-- especially medical-- that may come in handy as my son gets older. I was a little dissatisfied with it, however, because it had almost nothing on weaning or sleep issues, which I'm particularly interested in. Seems like they assume that those things are water under the bridge once you're child reaches one. They are also proponents of a very regimented and organized life which might not work for every par ...more
Alicia Shafer
Ok. Some stuff was helpful, other stuff was the kind of stuff that can make you crazy.
Michelle
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers, Fathers,
Recommended to Michelle by: Heather Bodnar
Shelves: parenting
Sassy Summary: This no-nonsense reference guide aims to save its reader a trip to the doctor’s office by providing easy-to-find answers to common questions (How Often Should My Child Pee?) to advice on handling Picky Eaters. Success! The index and glossary are comprehensive. It’s funny. It’s smart. It’s reassuring. My only complaint is that the organic food recommendations gave me anxiety and made me afraid to put anything in my child’s mouth.

Quotable Writing: Follow the “Two Stop” Rule. Gettin
Liz
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-helps
Great reference book. I stumbled upon it at the Library, but now want it for my own book shelf. The concluding chapters on illness and First Aid are something I would like to have at my fingertips when needed.

Many authors of mom-help books try to use humor -- and completely fail. Fields might just be the first one I've seen succeed. Her humor comes at just the right time, and it isn't forced.

If I go through the baby stage again, I'll have a copy of Baby 411 on hand. I'm sure it is just as fabul
Jaime Lee
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Toddler 411 (much as its predecessor, Baby 411) is a great book to have on hand when you have a question about your child that you don't feel warrants a doctor call, and yet you feel you need a little bit more than your own common sense. It's straight-laced answers are very calming in the wake of some of toddlerhood's scariest scenarios for a parent (illness, etc.). The Q&A form in which it's written makes things easy to find. Once you've read it through once, you can easily revert back to perti ...more
Sera
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barnes and Noble
This book provides a comprehensive overview of what parents can expect in the toddler years. Mostly a reference tool for quick answers, I'll likely start here, and then read more in depth from my other parenting books that delve into the various subject matter more deeply.

My favorite parts were the developmental milestones and when to take your child to the ER versus to the doctor versus the need for no medical visit at all. This approach is taken in different ways in regard to various topics,
chanceofbooks
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a lot of toddler books lately, and this is one of the best. I love the easy to follow format, and I love the emphasis on practical solutions that are child-centered. I really like how encompasses so many aspects of toddlerhood in one easy reference versus one book for discipline and one for nutrition etc.
Deanna
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the numerous books out there, I've loved the 411 series for babies and toddlers. Packed full of great information. This book is as much as primer for dealing with the toddler years as it is a reference. Well written, easy to digest, interesting and most importantly helpful.
Becks
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Baby 411. Focuses far more on diseases, injuries, etc. so will likely come in handy as an encyclopedia. Didn't like the recommended approaches to discipline and would recommend the Janet Lansbury books for that instead.
Lindsey Orlando
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reference, just like Baby 411! There's a lot of duplicate info between the books where it's relevant to both infants and toddlers, but this book also covers a lot of toddler-specific topics. I haven't read the entire thing since I have less time to read now, but it's easy to skip straight to the parts I need when I have questions.
Alex of Yoe
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
It's a little dated. I'm curious as to whether there's a new edition out. Otherwise, this book is great! Covers everything from development to potty training to first aid and illnesses to nutrition and everything in between. Definitely helpful for a new mom of a toddler! I highly recommend especially if you're curious or concerned about what to expect in toddlerhood.
Scott Kuyken
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like Baby 411, this book is very helpful. From discipline to eating to poop, it's all in there. And of course, the best part is the First aid section. Something happens, should I be calling 911 or can I wait for tomorrow. This book is very pro-science and research, so if you're an anti-vaxer, you might want to skip this one, but if you want your kid to survive and thrive, this is the book for you.
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a newer edition, but the bare bones are still there - this is my go-to for everything toddler. It has a very thorough glossary; anything that I've ever wanted to look up has been addressed in this book. Highly recommend.
Beth Harper
Having read “Expecting 411” and “Baby 411” I definitely felt more ‘meh’ about this book. Maybe it’s because toddlers are more complex, but I felt like this book left out a lot and focused on very few issues. Good to have around as a quick medical reference though!
Ashley Sala
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found it helpful and like the home recipes for binge like pedialyte and ear and nose drops
Kasim
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for helping you raise your toddler
Owen
A decent reference book, I skimmed much of the last quarter.
Hollie Hart
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great info, factual point blank info. No opinions or fluff. Perfect for first time parents. I keep it handy for a reference.
Erin
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Toddler 411 because I enjoyed the authors' Baby Bargains book so much. The authors have a matter-of-fact style to parenting and I appreciate their non-judgmental approach to controversial topics. Overall, Toddler 411 was much of what I expected from them.

The book is an encyclopedia of toddler. It covers everything you could imagine: milestones, weird but normal behaviors, potty training, transitioning to a big kid bed, and a whole chapter on poop (if you have a toddler then you know
ACRL
Feb 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Christina Chan-Park. Learn more about Christina on the ACRL Insider Blog. ...more
Misty
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that delves into many differet issues you may run into as a parent. The advice is helpful and informative. I think whenever you read books like this you have to be knowledgeable about your child and family, and ultimately make the best decisions for your child regardless of some peoples' opinions; however, this has great information covering everything from sickness, sleep problems, medications, and old wives tales. Some of the stories are humourous, and the book is jus ...more
Cathryn
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best no-nonsense parenting book series out there. It won't tell you what to expect or any of the other stuff the get-in-touch-with-yourself feel-good parenting books like to spend time philosophizing. THIS book tells you exactly when to call the doctor, what to look for in each symptom and when to just calm down. They keep it real with many charts and cheat sheets to help you get the knowledge you need fast! The very best book for middle of the night, sleep deprived parenting. We recommend this ...more
Kelli Oliver George

BUY THIS BOOK

Hands down, this book combined with Toddler 411 are the parenting books I would own if I could only have two. They have absolutely everything you need for your child up to about kindergarten in 2 concise volumes that are easy to read, entertaining (you'll laugh out loud) and most importantly, are conveniently organized as a reference tool. The overall tone of these two books is that of a "Hey, you'll be okay Grasshopper." one that is comforting and reassuring.
Rachel
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I picked this up in the new book section at the library, and since I have a very rambunctious 17 month old, I needed some help. I had questions about illness, bodily functions, behavior problems, and eating habits. Honestly, I just wanted to makes sure the way he was acting was normal, as he is my first child and I'm still pretty new at this parenting gig. This book answered my questions and assuaged my fears. I recommend it to parents, 4 stars.
Angela
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My two year old was an embarrassment today. This book is calming, positive and concise. One uplifting part of reading parenting books is knowing that you don't have ALL the problems addressed, just some of them. And, furthermore, you are mostly doing it just fine.

This series is a mother's refuge and tolerably short enough for father's to read the sections mothers have tabbed. Gift it. They will thank you.
Jamie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, solid book an the medical side of raising a toddler. It covers everything from first aid to nutrition guidelines to constipation. It teaches you the signs you need to look for in oder to know whether to wait a medical issue out or seek immediate attention. My favorite sections were on potty training & vaccinations. Everything was clear and easy to understand and told in a way that doesn't scare the reader. ...more
nicole
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
When waiting for baby #2, I outsourced this reading to my husband to better understand our toddler. He really enjoyed the scope of this, but I still had to borrow it 100 times from the library only to give it a glancing read. My main concerns - potty training, tantrums, overall discipline, food allergy management, eczema - were covered but not as deeply as I felt I needed for this moment in time.
Melia
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I have a very active toddler, I don't have time to sit down and search through myriads of info in an attempt to find answers a specific problem. Toddler 411 has a very detailed index that allows me to find the specific topic I'm looking for as well as offering practical solutions without making me overly paranoid the way other books tend to do.
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is a killer! I have already laughed about things my kid is already doing. It gives me great reassurance too that even though Chance despises milk I can keep feeding him cheese, yogurt & even ice cream to counter the balance without feeling bad. Proving to be a must have on my home reference shelf!!! ...more
Maggie Hall
This book was somewhat helpful and slightly humorous. But at least the second half was about scary problems or diseases your kid could develop- and seeing as the book is written by doctors, that shouldn't surprise me.
All in all, don't freak out when you read it. It does have some handy charts and cheat sheets in it (like rashes/medication/etc.) but all in all, a bit alarmist at times.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12
  • What to Expect the Second Year: From 12 to 24 Months
  • Henry VIII: A Life From Beginning to End
  • 100 Things to Do in Oakland Before You Die
  • My Body Sends a Signal: Helping Kids Recognise Emotions and Express Feelings (Anger Management for Kids, Kids Book, Toddler Book, Children's Book, Preschool Activity Book, Picture Book)
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • How Roland Rolls
  • The Elon Musk Blog Series: Wait But Why
  • The New York Times Guide to the Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made
  • Touring Hot Springs California and Nevada, 3rd: A Guide to the Best Hot Springs in the Far West
  • 1,001 Things To Do In Sacramento With Kids (& The Young At Heart)
  • TV (THE BOOK): Two Experts Pick the Greatest American Shows of All Time
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood... and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education
  • Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five

News & Interviews

“Vaccines do not work as well if a large number of folks opt out of the system. Vaccines are not 100% effective in any one individual. It is the collective immunity of the population (known as herd immunity) that keeps a germ from reaching epidemic proportions. You may think that if everyone else’s kid is protected then your child doesn’t need to be. But . . . germs don’t think that way. They just look for a new person to infect. And the more people who opt out, the more vulnerable the entire population is (particularly its youngest members).” 0 likes
“Choking Hazards: What to avoid Every year, 10,000 kids under the age of 14 choke on something and end up in the emergency room. Seventy-five percent of those children are under three years of age. And sadly, some of those kids die. Want to know what the deadliest choking hazard is? Hot dogs. Other food choking hazards include grapes, peanuts, hard carrots, and hard candies.” 0 likes