Start by marking “Driven Snow (The Pennymaker Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
Driven Snow (The Pennymaker Tales, #2)

Driven Snow

(The Pennymaker Tales #2)

Young Snowden “Snow” Reynaldi is brilliant, beautiful, and alone. Though he’s shy, weird, and tolerated by the NorCal University students because he’s a renowned whiz at chess and helps put the school on the map, that doesn’t keep him from dreaming of the object of his desires: Riley Prince, championship quarterback.

When Riley needs a physics tutor, Snow jumps at the chanc
Published November 25th 2015 by Dreampsinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Driven Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driven Snow

Start your review of Driven Snow (The Pennymaker Tales, #2)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Sinders and Ash, the first Pennymaker Tales book, was a cute enough read. I am always up for a good Cinderfella, so I didn’t mind the silliness too much.

Driven Snow, unfortunately, didn’t work for me.

Let’s start with the cover, which features a disturbingly underage-looking kid in a come-hither pose. Squick factor: high.

Cover aside, Driven Snow features one-dimensional MCs and a rather nonsensical plot loosely based on Snow White.

Snow is a shy but brilliant college chess champion pining for
Sandra
I get that this is based on a fairy tale, and that is actually what drew me to it. I loved Truth in the Dark by Amy Lane, and other stories with roots in fairy tales and I love seeing how they are changed and how the morals are woven in. Unfortunately, it didn't work here.

I enjoyed the first half of the book and thought it would be a solid 3 star, maybe rounded up to 3.5 stars. Snow was shy and sweet, I enjoyed seeing his interactions with his mentor, Mr. Kingsley, and watching things begin with
Kara
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This book was seriously so cute!
So this author wrote a cute little mix on snow whites story but a lot more um how to say this.. Graphic then snow whites story lol and of course in this book Snow white is really a man named Snowden. Snowden is in collage and is extremely smart and a awesome chess player. Well he has a huge crush on Riley Prince but thinks Riley is straight so there is just no way he would every feel the same about him. Well little did he know Riley is not straight and has feelin
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This was another fantastic ready by Tara Lain. She is one of my all time favorites when it comes to m/m romance. She really knows how to suck you into a story and make you feel as if you are a part of it.

This book was so easy to fall in love with the characters. They have so much depth to them. They are not one dimensional characters but have so many characteristics to them that make them seem so real that they practically jump off the page.

The dialogue between the characters is so engaging tha
Niki Driscoll
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
A great twist on Snow white and the seven dwarfs. A lot of fairytale spinoffs fall short however this was not the case in Ms. Lains version. Her retelling is filled with awesome characters, evil villains and an interesting look at the game of chess. Snow is a beautiful geek, important to the school because he is a genius at chess and keeps them on the map so to speak. He has always been alone and longs for someone to love. Riley is the star quarterback and has secretly wanted Snow from the first ...more
Krissy
3 stars for the story. Negative stars for that cover.
Milica
Oct 26, 2015 marked it as uhm
Is Snow underage? 'Cause the kid on a cover sure looks like it...and what's with the infodump in the blurb?
I like me some nerd/jock combo,but not so sure about this one.
Waiting for reviews...
Keara
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
Snowden Reynaldi is pure entertainment.... he is now one of my top 5 characters! I love the development of both Snow and Riley. They don't rush into anything... This is a great take on a fairy tale romance! Snow is a geek (physics and a chess master) who has a crush on the football quarterback Riley. Riley who is playing "straight" has a crush on the Chess Master Snow. What a great read, this story has the evil witch and a fairy godmother and fairy godfather Mr Pennymaker. This is one that will ...more
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
Driven Snow has all of Lain's trademark wonders, the romance, the laughs, the heartache, the misunderstandings and characters that just make you want more!

Welcome to my stop on the Driven Snow blogtour hosted by Enchantress Design & Promo . I am a huge Tara Lain fan, so when I saw that there was a review opportunity for her newest Pennymaker Tales story, I jumped right on it, and I am so happy I did!
My Driven Snow review:
What was really refreshing in Driven Snow was that both Snow and Princ
Donna
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Driven Snow is a fun m/m take on an old fairy tale. You have Snow an introverted chess grandmaster and physics major. You have Riley Prince quarterback and closeted gay man who Snow has crushed on and who has crushed on Snow but neither let on till senior year when Prince needed a physics tutor. Not one but 2 fairy grandparents and seven frat brothers from Grimm College. Oh and lets not forget the evil queen in the guise of a professor and her minion.
Tara Lane takes us on a romp through college
Ilona
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance
This book delivers exactly what you would expect from a Tara Lain story. Wonderful Characters, plenty of problems, interesting relationships, good sex scenes and, in the case of her Pennymaker Tales, a wonderful twist on a traditional fairytale. Snow and Riley really make the book with their wonderful dialogue but I will admit I loved the frat brothers a lot. I hope that Tara intends to use them in future books. But it's this book I am talking bout so let me tell you that if you don't go and rea ...more
DaisyGirl
1.0 Pathetic Star

Wow. This was a spectacular fail for me. First, the cover is all kinds of wrong. A too young (i.e., underage) looking guy striking a provocative pose? Yeah, no. Second, the characters had zero chemistry. Third, the plot was so ridiculous it stretched the bounds of fantasy reason ... and there's nothing stretchier than that!

Bottom line: This book did not work for me. Give it a pass and try Knight of Ocean Avenue.
Chris
4.5 out of 5 stars

Description ~

When Riley needs a physics tutor, Snow jumps at the chance, and their relationship heats up—but Riley has to come out of the jock closet to get anywher
Susan65
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Blogger Girls

4.5 Stars

I picked up this book because I am a huge fan of this author; and that’s it. The cover didn’t grab me, the blurb didn’t grab me, and I was hard pressed to see how a nerdy chess master and a college football quarterback could breathe new life into the tried and true college athlete vs nerd theme. But I was wrong. There was so much to this story, so much depth and plot and characterization that I was actually hard pressed to even put it down. And I didn’t put it down unti
Wax
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, own-have
This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is book 2 in The Pennymaker Tales series, but it can be read as a standalone. Just like book 1 (Sinders and Ash), it is loosely based on a fairytale. As apparent from the name, it is based on Snow White.

Snowden "Snow" Reynaldi is a chess Grandmaster and a physics whiz. One day at a chess game he notices that Riley Prince, the quarterback of the NorCal championship football team, is watching. He has long had a cru
Avid Reader
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Driven Snow (The Pennymaker Tales #2) by Tara Lain
4 stars
I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

I was to start by saying that I did not read the previous story in this series.

Snowden was a character that I really enjoyed. He had great inner dialogue and was able to figure himself out with the help of the Iota Pi Fraternity brothers. I really enjoyed those characters and seriously hope they get their own stories.

Then you have NorCal's "golden" football star, Riley. I r
Charlotte
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the Pennymaker tales! Snow and Riley were great characters to get absorbed in. From Riley's angst about his decisions and Snow's inner monolog you can't help but love them, Snow a bit more since he never gave up. The IPis omg, they need their own book or novella, I love them all and want to know so much more. This story definitely rates as one of my favorites, not as much as Sinders but its up there. I can't wait for more. There's so much more I want to say but it'd spoil it for everyone ...more
kathleen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tara Lain has quickly become one my favorite m/m authors. She knows how to create characters that draw you in and keep you invested in their story. This is a great twist on the classic Snow White story. This is the second book in the Pennymaker Tale series and I can't wait for more!
Jaime
This is the second story in Tara Lain's fairy-tale series known as "The Pennymaker Tales". The first book was Sinders and Ash which was based on Cinderella and now we have Driven Snow which is a "snow white" style book.

In this book we have Snowden Reynaldi, a college age Grandmaster chess player. Snow is alone in the world and stays to himself, not getting close to anyone except Professor Kingsley is mentor. Riley Prince, star quarterback of Northern Californian University is drawn to Snowden a
Morgan  Skye
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Snow is a chess Grand Master. He’s lived most of his life alone and making conversations in his head. He’s also a physics genius. He’s the shy, geek, the wallflower.

Riley is a star football player. He’s the golden boy, the jock, the “big man on campus”. He needs Physics to pass in order to stay eligible. He’s also a closeted gay man.

Both Riley and Snow have been crushing on the other… so when the football coach asks for help for his star player, Snow volunteers – despite the fact that he’s got n
JenCW
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, first-reads
This story is loosely based on the Snow White fairy tale. Snowden (Snow) is a physics student and chess master. Snow is a sweetheart, and I loved him from the beginning. He's uncomfortable and awkward around most people. He has a massive crush on the star QB of the college football team, Riley Prince, that he thinks will never go anywhere. Riley Prince clearly has a cheerleader girlfriend. Snow lives alone, and he doesn't have much.

Riley shows up at one of Snow's chess matches, and Snow gets di
Kathy Osborn
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love how Tara is transforming a classic fairytale and created a wonderful new story. The scene is set with Snow being trained for a championship chess game. The coach of the football team asks Snow to help Riley Prince learn physics, unknown to him Prince is still in the closet. Snow and Prince connect immediately, but love is never smooth sailing as there is always bumps in the road.

Snow’s professor is like a father to him and marries a wicked woman,who is after the chess title and makes Sno
Raja
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
4⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Let me start by saying, Tara Lain can do no wrong in my book! There hasn't been a Tara Lain book that I don't love! This story is an awesome version of Snow White and the seven Dwarfs. Even though I had moments where I was screaming especially when Riley was so easy to be manipulated by others..I can't help but fall in love with both Snow & Riley. Snow was perfect, perfect, perfect! I know that I would love to have the "seven dwarfs" of my own! Mr Pennymaker was such a character that yo
JD
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
3 to 4 stars. I wavered on this one but ended on the generous side but dang it I'm in the holiday spirit :) I liked the beginning; didn't like the middle and it came around a bit in the end. Yes it was a fairytale but it had too much crazy plot going on at times. I did like Snow though:) there was more sexiness to it than I expected so there's that?! I'm not sure I could have forgiven Riley (aka the Prince) for being a non believer in Snow when the sh## really hit the fan!!! Oh well, it was ligh ...more
Shelby
3.5 Stars

As an adaptation of Snow White this was cute in how it handled the different elements, but some of it was a little too extreme for believability. Sure you hate the "wicked witch" but her desperation to win a chess match doesn't seem like all that much of a reason to try to kill Snow.

I liked Snow a lot. Riley could have been a little stronger of a character for me. His doubting Snow seemed out of character for him in the moment even though he got past it relatively quickly.

Of course on
Donna
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
4.5 STARS

As soon as I read the blurb for this book I just had to add it to my review list. I love when authors rewrite and modernize fairytales, though to be honest, the results often leave me cringing in horror. Not so with this story, which Tara Lain has successfully taken, twisted and sexed up for our reading pleasure.

Snowden Reynaldi (I just love saying that name out loud) is NorCal’s chess playing prodigy, a surprisingly respected position that gives him celebrity status and some protection
books are love
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a cute and sweet romance between Riley and Snow. What I liked the most though was the growth these two went through. They both had a path to forge through and some was done together but some needed to be done apart so that they could understand and appreciate what they are to each other.

Riley is the football that is the golden boy. He is smart and pretty. He is popular and kind. He also harbours a secret crush on Snow. Not only this but due to being a athlete he has hidden in the close
Barb ~rede-2-read~

ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Another fairy tale for grownups featuring the elfin Mr Pennymaker who returns in this one dressed just as flamboyantly as the last time.

First and foremost, this must be treated as a fairytale, otherwise much of what happens will not make sense. There’s no logic here, just magically occurring coincidences and happy endings.

Snowden “Snow” Reynaldi is a physics major at NorCal. He’s also
Veronica of V's Reads
This book is a contemporary M/M romance loosely-based on the Snow White fairy tale. It's the second in the Pennymaker tales series, but has no connection to the previous book, Sinders And Ash.

3.5 Stars.
Snowden is a college senior and a Grandmaster chess champion. He's been working toward competing in a major international tournament at which he's the favorite to win. He's held a longstanding crush on the resident BMOC, quarterback Riley Prince, who's a fan of Snow's, too.

Riley needs tutoring, an
Winter Tashlin
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I run a bit hot/cold on Tara Lain. I *love* "The Knight of Ocean Ave," it's one of my go-to feel good books in fact. But "The Wolf in Gucci Loafers" put me off from M/M romance for almost a year when I was first exploring the genre.

I'd read the reviews and figured that "Driven Snow" would at best be a way to kill a few hours (and it was on sale). What I didn't expect was how much I'd enjoy it, or that it'd be one of the rare books to get me choked up by the end. Yes things can be a bit... conve
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Frat Boy and Toppy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #1)
  • Nothing Special (Nothing Special, #1)
  • How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon, #1)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Wooing Your Mate (Beings in Love #3)
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
  • A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
  • Brandon's Very Merry Haunted Christmas (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #1)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • If The Seas Catch Fire
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • Frog
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
Tara Lain believes in happy ever afters - and magic. Same thing. In fact, she says, she doesn't believe, she knows. Tara shares this passion in her stories that star her unique, charismatic heroes and adventurous heroines. Quarterbacks and cops, werewolves and witches, blue collar or billionaires, Tara's characters, readers say, love deeply, resolve seemingly insurmountable differences, and ultima ...more

The Pennymaker Tales (4 books)
  • Sinders and Ash (The Pennymaker Tales, #1)
  • Beauty, Inc. (The Pennymaker Tales #3)
  • Never (The Pennymaker Tales #4)