Start by marking “Approaching Shatter (Echo #1)” as Want to Read:
Approaching Shatter (Echo #1)

Approaching Shatter (Echo #1)

In the late 21st century, humanity left Earth due to multiple resource shortcomings aggravated by an acceleration in climate change. They settled Echo, a planet that was nearly a carbon copy of Earth except for being devoid of all but the most basic life forms. Fast forward 1200 years later. Echo has endured over a thousand years of dark age. Corporations and government me ...more
Published August 8th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Approaching Shatter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Approaching Shatter

Start your review of Approaching Shatter (Echo #1)
Book Haunt
You can read a review of this on my blog Book Haunt
F.T.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book sets up the life and troubles of one Atriya, an elite warrior on a bleak, futuristic world with ancient roots on Earth. It's a world ruled by war, military politics and the shadow of a moon on which the privileged live unnaturally long lives in aloof comfort.

I liked Atriya. He is the ultimate warrior, a killing machine, but has a contemplative side that isolates him from his peers and causes him to doubt what others around him accept without question. This sense of something-not-right
Alice Smith
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
READ IT!!!!!!

This is one of the few times in my life where I'm searching for words. Fantastic, amazing, glorious...they don't really do it justice or provide any real depth. This book is rather indescribable. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I also didn't intend to lose sleep before work to finish it, but I did and am seriously contemplating losing more sleep by reading the next one. However, I won't, because this story needs savored. It is not a convenient glass of wine to be dow
Mickey Ann
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love an author who uses an almost literal peeing contest to introduce us to this brutal, military-themed, futuristic society called Echo. Yet, it's the lone female character that is the most well-drawn and engaging.

I’ve been following Batman’s Kent Wayne’s blog for a little while now, patiently waiting for the first in his Echo Volume One: Approaching Shatter series to go on sale. Finally, it was offered for free and I swooped in like Boise suddenly announced a sale. Score!

See full r
Samantha Henthorn
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It sort of reminded me of the 1970s sci-fi dystopian world of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Dispossessed - in a good way, of course. Familiar sounding names, Atriya and Verus, group identifiers of 'Dissidents' and 'Enforcers'. The world of Echo, with its reminders of 'Old Earth' the idea of a parallel world even a thousand years later has carried with it undesirable human behaviour symbolised by rotting fruit. There is a great line in this book about 'powerful magic that all bullies are endowed with'. ...more
Terminally
So I picked this little novella up due to the hilarious ads that a fellow blogger, Dirty Sci-Fi Buddha, writes for it. He is the author by the way. I mention this because unlike a large portion of my previous reviews, this was a purchase by me, and not given to me.

Not that would really change how I write about this. I am nothing if not brutally honest.

And lets be honest here: This needs work. Not on the technical level no. The world building in this volume is fascinating, and the mythos are well
Jane Ono
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Provocative and memorable

On Echo, an Earth colony in the distant future, the ruling class and its military fight a group of dissidents looking to overthrow the current regime. Despite the focus on military conflict, Wayne portrays the internal conflict of Kischun Atriya, a seasoned warrior. Atriya's credo, "refuse to be weak," has enabled him to attain a measure of success with the elite military unit, the Crusaders. Yet, with each achievement, Atriya continues to doubt his abilities.

While the n
Denise
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Plot:

More than a thousand years before the action of this book, the earth was abandoned because of environmental degradation, and humanity settled on the earth-like planet of Echo. Echo has stagnated, its citizens living under the autocracy of the Regime. There is perpetual civil war with the Dissidents. The military is highly developed, with specialized, lethal weapons. Additionally, its soldiers are also specialized and are offered enhancements.

One of those soldiers is Atriya, a member of the
Lisa Reynolds
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Echo Volume 1: Approaching Shatter by Kent Wayne (2015) is a wonderful and gripping read with excellent descriptive detail. Set in the latter part of the 21st century, humans have left Earth and are now residing on a planet called Echo. 1200 years pass and the citizens living on Echo are being suppressed by society while the authority called the Regime rules over them. A large rebel group called the Dissidents are a source of concern for the police and military. Amongst all the chaos we find the ...more
Alexandra Mack
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this story, you find yourself thrown into the midst of a futuristic version of humanity. Earth has been abandoned due to climate change destroying most of it, and now humans live on Echo. Echo is a copy of Earth, but it is mostly inhabited by humans. Now, governments have merged, the Department of Enforcement was created to crush the Dissident rebels, and half of this planet is decaying as the rich live up in the sky where they can pretend to not see the chaos of Echo.

Atriya is one of these E
Joep Noot
I’m usually not really a sci-fi reader. I’m more of the fantasy genre, but Kent Wayne has really written something interesting. From the first chapter, I was interested by the story and it stayed that way until the very end.

Wayne does love to use curse words, especially the word fuck. I know that a lot of people have problems with this and cursing immediately keeps them from reading any further. I don’t have problems with this, as long as the cursing is meaningful. When characters keep cursing j
H.R.R. Gorman
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a whole, I would definitely recommend ECHO.  The book had excellent style (though, fair warning, it did dip into the gruesome a little).  The named characters all felt different, especially those with significant screen time, and each felt very thoughtful.  The prose dipped into melodrama and overuse of Latinate vocabulary a couple of times, but I accept that this is an indie book that didn't have a team of editors prepping it for bestseller (though it is still better than a lot of the trash ...more
D.C. Gilbert
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An interesting look at a futuristic version of humanity. Global warming has made Earth uninhabitable, and now humans live on similar planet called Echo. Governments and corporations have merged and created the Department of Enforcement to crush the Dissident rebels who are fighting to make their lives better. Much of Echo is in a rapidly deteriorating state. but the elite live up in the sky where they can ignore the chaos threatening to destroy Echo.

The main character, Atriya, is one of the Depa
RS Rook
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a little too brief of an installment but much better than I had expected. Didn't think this would be much more than pulpy fun, but there is actually a lot of really interesting subtext.

It's fascinating to read a character who is so desperately unaware of their own emotions. A great example of how certain classes of people (especially blue-collar men) are arrested in a state of emotional infancy--in the novel, soldiers spend their time alternating between tantrums of explosive viole
Slick Dungeon
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atriya is a Crusader. This means that he is part of an elite military force where only the best of the best are recruited. He constantly pushes himself to go beyond the limits of human endurance and is trying to reach the next level of performance and understanding.

Lately, Atriya is getting the feeling that something is wrong. Wrong with the Regime that controls Echo, wrong with the way his fellow Enforcers operate, and maybe, something wrong with him. He starts searching for answers from his me
Sathepine Marco
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The story in this novel is unresolved which caught me off-guard. I’m glad the author included the first three chapters of the next book because this one ended where it was getting more intriguing. I bought the next book immediately.

I do like the world-building, but I wish there were more showing than telling because the first half of the book was too much descriptions and background that it couldn’t hold my interest and several times I had to put it down.

I was very much engaged during the seco
Graham
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, which is generally a good thing as long as I know that it's at least somewhat "up my alley." The first thing I noticed was the amount of cursing in the beginning. No big deal, just know it is there. It did taper off a bit toward the middle.

The story is cool, and I am not going to write some huge review where I recount the story and all of that. It is set in the future and on a different planet. The main character is in the military and is going throug
S.E. Isaac
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a friend, who said that I wouldn't be disappointed. And they were right.

Atriya is a strong character. The way his character is written draws you in and makes you feel like you know him. The entire book is well written with the descriptions allowing you to picture it all. The planet, Echo, and all of its havoc, people (especially the Deesidints), and environment filling the pages.

I found this book to flow nicely. Books like this, I usually find myself skimming
Tucker
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is violent (inherently so, given the story) with some difficult language (e.g. fatphobia, r-word, and discussion of sci-fi body-morphing that implies negativity toward physical disabilities/differences — unfortunate language that seems less inherent to the story and therefore less necessary). I had trouble getting into the genre in part because of this. In other respects, though, I felt the language was strong in a positive way.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

For me, who doesn’t know a lot about weapons, the descriptions were great, if a bit long. Although not a ton physically happens, the read is still interesting as the main character thinks through what his life means up to this point. The fight scenes are brutal. Graphic in a way that’s not inappropriate but attention grabbing. I’ll be adding the next book to my list.
Nathaniel Harscher
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First Book? Well Written!

The story told herein is incredible. It takes the world of science fiction and takes it to an incredible, apocalyptic level. On top of that, it has tech ninjas, literal boatloads of bullets, and a nigh-unstoppable force of a man. I'm very pleased, looking forward to reading the next one!
Lorenzo Dozier
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time reading this genre. I thought the story was interesting. Don't know why I kept thinking of the video game Destiny or Halo while reading it, but it was what allowed me to get through the book. Atriya is a great protagonist, but if there were swear jars in this story, it would have been filled up with the amount of language lol. ...more
KandyMay Poff
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written.

This is a well written book with just enough detail to keep your interest. It's a book about the military and it's mildly realistic in its portrayal of military personnels interactions, warriors aren't politicians nor do they always mind their manners or their mouths. That bring said, if you enjoy futuristic military tales, this is the book for you.
Joshua J Caviness
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great opener.

Here is a great book one to a larger work. You get a good feeling about the characters without the whole story being spoiled. I usually do not read books in a series together because my tastes vary from day to day but, this one is an exception I am definitely moving on to the next book.
E.J. Gette
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Ended up being a little different than I expected.

That being said, there are descriptions in this book that make it worth reading. It is easy to visualize this book. There is, to me, an overabundance of profanity.
If you enjoy the more violent side of dystopia, then this is the book for you.
K. Leigh
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
“I will absolutely be continuing the series, and I’m excited to see how the author has progressed.”

To read my full review, please go to:

K.T. McColl
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written, gritty, dystopian tale. The pacing is superb, with Atriya's story and the realities of Echo revealed in tantalizing pieces. Settle in for the long haul -- you won't be able to stop with volume 1. ...more
Jesse
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
For this review and many others, visit my blog at https://bluedecemberblog.wordpress.com ...more
Jaka Tomc
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the book a lot and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. A little too descriptive for my taste, hence the four stars. I love the characters and I love Kent's writing skills. ...more
LightHouse Verner
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read!!! Looking forward to reading the other volumes. Highly recommend this read.

• Nuestro planeta, nuestro futuro
  • The Time in Between
  • Accidental Illegal Immigrants
  • A Marriage of Convenience
  • The Names
  • The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #13)
  • The Part of Death (Stella Penhaligon Thrillers Book 3)
  • Beltane: When dreams are real and magic is stronger (A Spellworker Chronicles Novel)
  • And Ampersand: Short Stories on Endings and Beginnings (of a Sort)
  • The Savior's Champion (The Savior's Series, #1)
  • Good Morning, Midnight
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • All You Need Is Love
  • New Beginnings in Greece
  • Storm Witch (The Spellworker Chronicles, #2)
  • Alia Henry and the Ghost Writer