Start by marking “To Move the World” as Want to Read:

To Move the World

(Power of the Matchmaker)

Eve Brannon never had to bother planning out her future. In the Yorkshire dales where life is harder, it is also simpler. Next in line to inherit her family's farm, she will raise another generation of children and sheep high in the uplands of England. Waiting until next year when she is 19 to marry her father's handsome hired hand, Alan, is the detail she added herself.

B
Published October 1st 2016

To ask other readers questions about To Move the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Move the World

Susan

Regina Sirois

Received from Ebooks for Review

TO MOVE THE WORLD is a wonderful addition to the Power of the Matchmaker series and can most definitely be read as a stand alone. The matchmaker Pearl, is barely mentioned in this story and that kind of made me sad. I love Pearl and the way she just pops up out of nowhere, but that being said, I still enjoyed this story.

Eve lives on a sheep farm with her father, brother, and the very handsome farmhand Alan. They live in England and Wor
Julie Carpenter
Oh my heavens! This book should have a warning....

*WARNING: This book is highly addictive and should not be opened without a knowledge of a very high possibility of severe time consumption. Reading it is not dangerous to your overall health but could result in the lack of any physical activity and the lack of any desire to participate in any and all normal daily activities and family life. Consuming of it in one sitting is highly recommended for the overall greatest effect of the life and diary
Sam B

I received this ebook through ebooksforreview.

This book is very hard for me to review. Let me explain why.
For almost the whole first half of the book, the characters really got one my nerves. Jonathon and Marion weren't really likable for obvious reasons and I didn't really like Eve and Theo either. I felt the girls (though mostly Theo) were superficial and naive. Honestly, I rolled my eyes at the pages an unthinkable amount of times.

I really wanted to give this book a chance though, e
Susan K
Romance, clean.
This is part of a series, but each book is a standalone with one character that is in all of the series as a brief scene(s).
This was more of a 3.5 for me, but I rounded up because I felt the author did such a great job with the wartime/farm setting. I enjoyed this, but had mixed feeling with the Eve, and her choice between Alan and Johnathon. While I (view spoiler)
NaDell
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eve is a sheep farmer's daughter without any prospects or real plans and then all of the sudden she has two very interesting young men interested in her just as WWII begins. I enjoyed her character and her best friend as well, who helped bring her out of her shy shell around men. She was strong and brave and kind. She was obsessed with a brand new typewriter throughout the book and I liked the way the character wrote about what had happened in her life and in the lives of those around her. I lik ...more
Jamie
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading a book where the characters walk,and talk and breathe life into the pages. It was easy to get lost in this book and into Eve's mind. This book is told in 1st person through Eve's journal entries.

1939 Yorkshire, England.
Eve had always been in love with Alan, who is a hired hand on her fathers sheep farm. Enter Jonathon Doren, her next door neighbor, who is completely opposite of what she expected.

This book explores the harrowing time right before Germany declared war on Great Brita
Jenn
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean, ebook, fiction
It felt different than the other POTM series books I've read in a good way. It was a new story and a different writing style. I didn't love it but it was good enough to keep me interested.
Tiffany
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was a bit depressing. Most of it seemed drawn out except for the love story which was rushed. Pearl didn’t really play a part either. Kisses only.
Lorie Strassburg
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have truly enjoyed all of Regina's novels and this one may be my favorite. Just a lovely story about love and life and the transition from child to adult. The emotions were very relatable and brought back many memories of my own.
Charlie
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eve is a young woman living on a sheep farm with her father and brother. Eve and the farmhand her father hired plan to marry the following year. With the rumblings of war, everything is topsy-turvy. Her beloved enlists to earn more money for their own farm, and he is sent to fight. Worse still, a strange outbreak among the sheep threatens the livelihood and home of Eve and her family.

In Alan's absence, she meets a wealthy landowner, Jonathan. He is the older brother of her girlhood crush, Marion
Beccie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a huge Brit lit snob, so I usually hate books set in the UK written by American authors. However, I was pretty impressed by this one. I remember thinking, "Wow, she knows her Yorkshire Dales sheep!". Then I read in her bio that one of her favorite authors is James Herriot. Nuff said. Weirdly enough, I will be re-reading James Herriot in the next month or so in preparation for my Yorkshire Dales trip. Anyway, this book was mildly enjoyable. It was definitely not what I expected and I'm not q ...more
Rob Savage
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great coming of age story about Eve Brannon. She is an 18 year old girl who has lost her mother at a young age and takes care of the home for her father and brother. They are sheep farmers at the beginning of WWII. Eve has a crush on the farm hand, and then loses him to enlistment in the Royal Army. This is a great story about love and war and making sacrifices for yourself and others. I felt like the characters were real people having real experiences. The side stories were very well ...more
ruth-luvs
Each book in the Power of the Matchmaker series is a stand-alone read. There is no order in which to read them but like your favourite snacking treat, while you reach for one to have just a taste, you'll find yourself going back for more and more until you've finished them all.

This is the first book I have read by Regina Sirois and will I most definitely read more in the future. I was given this ebook in exchange for an honest review and here it is:  4.5 hearts rating

This story was a sweet romance but it was so m
Shash
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It is written as Eve’s journal. I felt like I got to know her so well. She shares her thoughts and actions; the good things, the bad things and the things she’s embarrassed about. Her world is changing and expanding, and the reader gets to watch as she adjusts and grows.

She has two great men there for her. Alan is so sweet and loyal. He really is a country boy, but the coming war has changed his world in significant ways. Jonathan is kind and giving. He did so much fo
Kate
I received my copy of this eBook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

There are not enough words to describe just how much I loved this book! I am not normally a lover of historical romances. They have to be incredibly well written and they have to captivate me from the start, generally they have to make me fall in love with their heroine from the get go. I've read another in the Power of the Matchmaker series that was very well written but that I had a hard time getting in to because the c
Michelle
This wasn't my favorite of the Power of the Matchmaker books. I liked most of the characters and did think it was well written but something just wasn't right to make it one of the books I loved. The matchmaker hardly made an appearance and I don't think her name was even mentioned. To be fair, I was not able to read this book as quick as I usually do and had many interruptions so sometimes it was days between chapters. I hope to find a time to sit down and read it again in the future and maybe ...more
Jaylene
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is Regina's best book yet! Very sweet.
iamnotabookworm
E pur si muove. This is Italian for --And yet it moves. This is a quote from the famous astronomer Galileo Galilei. The sentence above plays a very important role in To Move the World by Regina Sirois.

The story is set in the year of 1939, on the brink of the 2nd World War. The heroine, Eve Brannon, is torn between her love for the gentle and quiet farm hand Alan, and the sweet, generous and rich Jonathon Doran. Whom will she choose?

I was so caught up in the delicious language of this prose. Very
Michelline
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Move the World is a love story (because calling it a romance novel doesn’t sound right), based on a sheep farmers daughter caught between two male storms- Alan and Jonathon. Each of them have very different personalities and Eve finds herself torn between the two, after she lands herself in a position she thought would be unbreakable.

This is one of those books that you finish every word through to the end, and it leaves you with a satisfied, blissful feeling.

What I liked the most was the ma
Lauriann Shell
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly loved reading this book. The journal style filled with rich details and flowing with emotion was absolutely delicious. I loved being part of this step back in time and thinking of how the world was when my parents were born. I started with The Power of the Matchmaker and am making my way through the series. I'm so glad I went back to this book. It's the first I've read by Regina Sirois and it will not be the last.
Julie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Move the World by Regina Sirois is a wonderful addition to the Power of the Matchmaker series. Set in Yorkshire, England at the cusp of World War II, Ms Sirois takes our matchmaker's skills to a time and place not yet visited in this series. This setting provides the perfect backdrop for Eve Brannon's story that she relates to us through her typed journal entries.

It's 1939 and Eve Brannon believes she has her whole life mapped out before her. She will marry Alan and together they will continu
Nydia Burdick
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of those intriguing Power of the Matchmaker books. This one is set at the cusp of WW II in England. Eve lives on a sheep farm with her widower father and a farm hand, Alan. She has had feelings for Alan for a long time and you discover early in the book that he has feelings for her. They quickly become engaged, but to Alan's dismay the local rich boy has his eyes on Eve. To Alan, Eve is showing all the signs of cold feet. And Eve is intrigued by Jonathon, the very well to do ...more
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part of the Power of the Matchmaker series but Pearl, the matchmaker, only makes a very brief cameo in this novel. This story really does stand alone.

I loved the setting of the story. Yorkshire Dales just before WWII has always been a favorite ever since reading All Creatures Great and Small. And the discussion of sheep and vets and the life of a farmer was well known to me after having read the James Herriot books and watching the TV show. I felt like I totally understood this families
MJSH
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This was my introduction to Regina Sirois and her books. She has a beautiful, lyrical, poetic writing style that is lovely to read and savor. The book was quite enjoyable.

Set in 1939 in rural Britain, the story mostly takes place on a sheep farm run by Eve's family. I never was interested nor did I know much about sheep farming in the early 1900s but the author brought to life the farm and its associated lifestyle in full color and drew me in as the audience. The backdrop of a threatening world
Dawn Pearson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ended up being a very different read for me. On the positive side, I want to praise the author for a well written book. It has very few editing mistakes and the character development is superb. Also, the author's ability to describe the setting makes you feel like you're actually there. The book is set in northern England, on a sheep farm, in early 1939. As the reader, I could visualize the cold and wind blowing and I could sense the growing unease as war loomed ever closer.

However, as I r
Brooke
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book is beautiful, the characters loveable, and descriptions are perfect. I love it when a book reads like a movie in my head, the flow of the writing was so smooth. I have absolutely loved reading all of the power of the matchmaker books and will be so sad when they are done. This one was a bit different than the others but still a beautiful book. I was given an arc for giving an honest review.
Beth McGuire
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TO MOVE THE WORLD - A MATCHMAKER SERIES. I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK. THE FIRST QUARTER OF THIS BOOK WAS A LITTLE SLOW BUT IT WENT REALLY QUICK AFTER THAT. EVE BRANNON A SHEEP FARMERS DAUGHTER IN ENGLAND IS NEXT IN LINE TO INHERIT HER DADS SHEEP FARM. ALAN THE HIRED HELP WHO HAS LIVED ON THE FARM SINCE HE WAS A CHILD LOVES HER AND THE FARM. HE ASKS HER TO MARRY HIM JUST AS HE JOINED THE ROYAL ARMY. EVE IS INNOCENT IN LOVE AND BELIEVES HERSELF TO TRULY BE IN LOVE WITH ALAN. AT A VALENTINES DAY DANCE ...more
Pattisue
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another selection in the Matchmaker series, this coming of age story follows several years in the life of young Eve Brannon. Eve has her future all planned out until war disrupts her plans and her peace. In this time of turmoil and upheaval, Jonathan Doran adds conflict to the love triangle between Eve, Alan, and Jonathan. “How British of me to think of conquering and colonizing all of him, my own empire of Alan.” Eve finds her heart is torn between loyalty and passion. As the war continues, Eve ...more
Donna May
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved reading this series. Every novel is different, but has elements that tie together so well. Love does not always happen the way we planned it or with who we planned it. But, just because the world and times change, does not mean our heart will as well. But, if we shut out the world, and just pay attention to what we need and want, things can work out for the best and love will eventually find a way.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This was a beautifully written book. The words were so pretty. I fell in love with the writing first, I think. Then the story.

This story is gentle in nature. It follows the ebb and flow of life for Eve, a young woman coming into her own. The stage is set on a country sheep farm in the months before WWII brakes out.

I almost forgot that this was part of the Matchmaker series. More than half way through the book I realized that I hadn't seen Pearl (the matchmaker and common thread between all the b
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
The writing in this book is so lyrical and has a magical way of describing Eve's thoughts and feelings. It is a time of uncertainty not just in the world, but also in Eve's heart and mind, and the author perfectly captured the conflict and pulling of her heart in different directions as she is on the brink of stepping into adulthood. The setting of her English sheep farm and the details of her work there were vivid in my mind. I loved the outlet she had in her typewriter and the freedom of expre ...more
Katie W
I've really enjoyed reading this series--The Power of the Matchmaker. Each book is written by a different author and I've loved discovering new-to-me authors and this one is fantastic! She has an amazing way of writing that blew me away.

Eve lives on her family's sheep farm in England in 1939. With rumblings of war, her world is not only turned upside down when friends enlist, but also when a mystery ailment attacks the sheep and threatens to destroy their livelihood. This is a great story showc
Mylissa Demeyere
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very different read from the other books in series, from the completely different era set in the early dawn of WWII in the English hills on a sheep farm, to a personal journal style recounting of events.

Eve is what I would expect of her character, but the more you get a look into the inner workings of her rather complex mind, the more you discover there is so much more to her than just an English farm girl. She has this soft, yet very strong-willed personality, set in an era wher
Melanie
(4.5 stars) This story takes place in England in 1939. Eve lives on a sheep farm with her father and brother and is in love with her father's hired hand, Alan. She plans to marry him but questions that decision when she meets Jonathon Doran, a wealthy land owner who is twelve years older than her. When Alan heads off to war, there's a major crisis on the farm which prompts her to call Jonathon for help.

This story is told in journal format. Eve has recently received a typewriter and shares her th
Heather
I finished this book a couple of days ago, and every moment I've to spare for reading since then, I kept thinking, I need to read TO MOVE THE WORLD. Then I remembered I'd finished it and I felt sad and nostalgic. There aren't many books, especially romances, that I would love to read a sequel to. This is one of them. Not that I thought it ended too soon or was incomplete, but that I could have easily immersed myself in another 300 pages. Beautiful writing.
Rachael Anderson
From the plot to the characters to the beautiful language, this book drew me in and held me captive the entire way through. Regina has a new fan in me, and I'm excited to dig into her other books. Thank you for a lovely read!
Alisa
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book is part of the Matchmaker series, but is definitely a standalone. The matchmaker plays a very minor role in this book - she has two brief cameo appearances, and the first one is 2/3 into the book. While I enjoyed the book, I did miss having Miss Pearl around in this book.

Eve lives with her father and brother, William, and the very handsome hired hand, Alan on a small sheep farm in England right as World Ward II is beginning. This story is told from Eve's point of view as she types her
Rebekah Gyger
This book was really hard to get into. At first, I hadn't realized that the narrative was told in journal entries, so I was confused by the writing through the first chapter. Even after I figured out how the story was being told, I had to force myself to keep reading through the initial first half as very little happened beyond the main character's overly detailed descriptions of the farm.

I would have put the book down toward the halfway point, but the story started to pick up with Alan going of
Rachel
I had a hard time at first getting into the book, To Move the World by Regina Sirois. Once I got used to the way it was written (kind of a diary style) and I got more into the story, my interest picked up. Eve is a strong character with a bright mind. Although she has some regret about not being able to go to college, she's settled and hopeful for a future with the handsome hired man, Alan. Then he leaves for war and her heart is torn between her loyalty to him and the attentions of a wealthy la ...more
Brooke -Brooke's Books
Another interesting story in the Power of the Matchmaker series!

Kelly
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, series
I’m not sure how I feel about the book. I suppose it may have more to do with the time or the location. I don’t understand some of the words and their meanings of people from that time. I had difficulty understanding some things. I would have to reread things before I got it. I suppose the feelings of an older teenager would think of love differently as well. I didn’t see the attachment she had. I also didn’t understand why she would end up doing the same thing the second time around. I wasn’t s ...more
Karey White
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a wonderful book. It has it all--suspense, beautiful setting, fantastic characters, thrilling romance and friendship. I was enjoying it so much I wanted to tear through it, but on the other hand, I wanted to savor the beautiful language and I didn't want it to end. I'd recommend this to everyone.
Pascale
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To move the world

A story of sweet, innocent, new love, first love, at the brink of World War II. A young woman falls in love with their farm hand and he proposes to her, then goes off to join the army in order to have enough money to start his own farm and marry her. He believes he will never have enough money earning the meager wages her father pays him living on their sheep farm and he insists it's the only way. He feels confident that the conflict will never escalate to a war and that he will
Amber Jones
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

As someone who was raised around and on farms and ranches I

loved how different this book was from the other power of the

matchmaker books.Giving a different prespective and adding a

sweet farm girl lifestyle where you also have to be grown up at

a young age as there is much to do. Loved this book.

This book was a very different read from the other books in

series, from the completely different era set in the early dawn

of WWII in the English hills on a sheep farm, to a personal

journal style rec
Charissa
Eve lives on a sheep farm in Yorkshire, England in the days before WWII. She thinks she knows what she wants out of life…to live on her farm she loves and knows the rest of her days, type away on her new typewriter, and marry Alan, the farm boy she has always had her eyes on since a child. But things are changing in 1939 and life will never be like she planned. Sheep die, her family’s future is in jeopardy, and a new man with a mustache enters her life and touches her heart. Eve’s heart is tugge ...more
Cathy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book for me. I've really enjoyed the Power of the Matchmaker books this year, but I might have to say this one is the one I've enjoyed the least. Not that it's a bad book, but there were a few things that bugged me. Number one is that this one was really hard to get into. The way it's written, kind of Eve's journal on her new typewriter didn't help the characters jump off the pages the way that other books that I've read do. The plot was hard to want to read. I really did ...more
Holly Casos
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Regina Sirois' writing style. Before I know it, I am caught up in the world of characters that she creates. In the process, I learned more about sheep farming, more about life in rural England at the start of WWII, and more about the pull of young love.

I am not familiar with the Power of The Matchmaker series, and was thus confused at why this was listed in parenthesis after the title, when the matchmaker was such a small part of the book, but once I stopped trying to figure that out, it
Heather Green
I'm not sure about this one. I didn't like it as well as The Truth About Fragile Things. It was relatively slow moving and then sped up at the end and moved too quickly. I had a really hard time getting into it because I wasn't that intrigued by a typewriter. Maybe I take things for granted with all the technology of our age. Even though it said on the cover that the book takes place in Great Britain, it didn't sound very British until about 1/3 of the way through. I reminded me somewhat of the ...more
Lucinda
3 1/2.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The writing is almost a bit too much but since the POV character is a first person teenage girl writing a sort of journal, it gets away with it.
Eve is very dramatic and it's part of her growth that she learns to accept the people and happenings around her.
The historical setting is well done and it pulled me in.

My problem is with the genre. It's not exactly a romance. She doesn't spend enough time with the love interest. It's more of a coming of age
Chesney
This is part of the Matchmaker series but can be read as a standalone. I was quite surprised at the how this story went. Eve lives and works the farm with her family and she has feelings for Alan one of the workers on the farm. This is the brink of World War II and everything is talk of the upcoming war or sheep on the farm. Eve and her friend Theodora or Theo attend a dance where she meet the Jonathan Doran. He is not what Eve expects and time and time again she is rescued by him through the fa ...more
Kelby
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

I wasn't quite sure what I thought of this book the first chapter in but as I became more accustomed to the writing style I couldn't put it down. This book is a beautifully written love story. Regina Sirois is a talented author and I look forward to reading more of her novels.
Donna Campbell
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This was such a wonderful story! The only way I can describe it is that this writer writes in a way that transports you into the story. You feel such a part of it. I loved all the characters, who didn't feel like characters at all. I loved that it was about hard work, wartime, love and romance. I loved it! This would be an awesome movie!
Paige
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received an ebook copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

To Move the World is part of the matchmaker series and was much different than the other books in this series, but I enjoyed it! I really liked the writing style – (Eve’s journal entries tell the story) and the writing was beautiful. I also liked the setting; the book started right before the beginning of WWII. This book did take me a few chapters to get into, but once I got into the story it was very hard to put down. Also,
Lillian Huffman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

You've got to read this book if you like clean well written romances. All of the Power of the Matchmaker book have been amazing. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of them. You will to if you take the time to read them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Reformer (Power of the Matchmaker Book 12)
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • King of the Friend Zone (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Broken Things to Mend (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Love is Come (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Chasing Fireflies (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • How I Met Your Brother
  • O'er The River Liffey  (Power of the Matchmaker #6)
  • Not Always Happenstance (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Captain Hook (Faerie Tale Collection, #14)
  • Old Maid of Honor
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Sarah M. Eden British Isles Collection
  • Spring in Hyde Park
  • Bewitching the Knight
Winner of the 2012 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award for my debut novel, On Little Wings, available 5/30/13 from Penguin/Viking.
I am a housewife, mother, writer, interior decorator and avid reader.

Power of the Matchmaker (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Broken Things to Mend (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Not Always Happenstance (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • If We Were a Movie
  • Love is Come (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • O'er The River Liffey  (Power of the Matchmaker #6)
  • Chasing Fireflies (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • King of the Friend Zone (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • How I Met Your Brother