Start by marking “Medusa's Child” as Want to Read:
Medusa's Child

Medusa's Child

He took you on a collision course with disaster in Pandora's Clock

In the high-flying tradition of his extraordinary New York Times bestseller Pandora's Clock, author and aviator John J. Nance launches Medusa's Child, an explosive new thriller that takes to the skies-and takes you to the height of terror.

Now he brings you to the brink of nuclear catastrophe

At 10,000 feet, C
Paperback, Large Print, 464 pages
Published November 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 20th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Medusa's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medusa's Child

Baz M
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did think this one was going to peak a little early (and maybe it did), but the suspense and action was sustained throughout. I love what Nance does as a specialised genre and this is no exception. There is not a slow moment in this story.
The only off putting aspect was the ultra-patriotism that occasionally came about in a full frontal "Team America, world getting saved by the Stars and Stripes" assault, but once I breezed over this and continued with the story, it regained my interest.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me on the edge of my seat to the point I could not put it down until the very end.
D. E.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another exciting JJN novel about a disbursement that will have you sitting on the edge of your sest. The aviation thriller is JJN at his best with this aviation thriller. A singled plane was picked to be part of a nuclear holocaust. The planning of the event was made to not fail. However, once the he event was set in motion the single flaw in to their plot was the pilot if the aircraft. This is an excellent read for the genre.....DEHS
Marice Hill
I was quite grabbed by this book early on but it seemed to drag for a while after that and I just wanted something more to happen. After all that the ending seemed a little rushed and I would have liked a bit more detail.
Lisa Barbour
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I've liked other books by this author, but this one had so much technical information that it was not as interesting to me.
Prescottl
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing thriller about a nuclear bomb on a plane. The author deftly writes several concurrent story lines with many characters and locations. The climactic scenes were enthralling.
Katie_Living_in_Bookland
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I did not see that coming. What a rollercoaster. I can't even think properly right now to write a review. I promise one will be coming very soon. Either tomorrow or the next day.
Jim LoPresti
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should be made into a movie, starring Denzel Washington

5 star. An exciting book. Should be a movie. Great plot. Hope someone in govt reads it and takes note.
Christopher Hivner
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A retired nuclear physicist with an ax to grind against the world, especially his ex-wife, builds a nuclear bomb that will also create a massive EMP wave, knocking out phones, computers and all communications for thousands of miles. He then wills possession of the device to his ex-wife making it a provision of her receiving a large sum of money that she has to deliver it to the Pentagon. However, she doesn't know it is a live bomb, she thinks its only a prototype. She ends up with the device on ...more
TJ
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an action-filled yarn that puts 5 people, and the entire country eventually, in the middle of a bitter dead scientist's plan to seek revenge against the government and further abuse his widow.

Years earlier, Rogers Henry was part of a team of scientists working on the ultimate weapon - the Medusa Wave. This weapon was designed to be delivered by a thermonuclear device which, when detonated, would release a devastating Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) that would fire every silicon based comput
David
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Nance is a master at describing airplane-borne peril. He also does a swell job of describing the overzealous army officers or F.B.I. agents who tend to overstep boundaries. All of his books are great reads with realistic plots and clever mechanisms that advance the plot in realistic methods. This one is no exception.

A deceased scientist, in his will, leaves a crate to his ex-wife with instructions to deliver it to the Pentagon. Thinking it contains materials from his work in military science, sh
Catherine Fitzsimmons
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a thriller novel about the crew of a small cargo airplane that inadvertently finds itself transporting a thermonuclear bomb to the Pentagon designed to create an EMP that would knock out computers from coast to coast.

I am a fan of fantasy and spend entirely too much time in another world in my own mind, so I think it’s safe to say I have a pretty active imagination, and I’m fairly good at suspending disbelief. But in this novel, I found the threat to be a bit overblown. A twenty megaton
Dark-Draco
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is a brilliant story.

Vivian Henry's ex husband is abusive and a bully, but she's got away from him. Living her own life at last, she is shocked to discover that he is dying, is sorry for what he did to her and wants her to do one last thing after he dies - deliver a mock-up of a new type of nuclear weapon to his old friends at the pentagon. It's designed to produce a 'Medusa Wave' a powerful EMP that will cripple an enemies economy and infrastructure, as well as a nuclear blast that will ki
Wes Baker
I have not read any of Nance's other books, but picked this one up for a diverting read. As anyone familiar with him will already know, he is one of the authors following in the wake of Tom Clancy--it's as much about the realism of the technical details as it is about the plot (or the characters). So, his books have been referred to as "airplane procedurals." The plot was interesting, but I found it over the top and some of the twists unsatisfactory. Some threads that are built up over the cours ...more
Marissa Amanda
Very slow to start off, but once it got the book became very intense & difficult to put down. Sometimes it became hard to read please of all the "air plane" terms that are used in the book; and if your not a pilot you won't be able to figure out whats going on. I really hope that this technology isn't real; and if it is then I hope that it is never used. Great job Nance on creating characters that I can relate to & fall in love with! I recommend this book to anyone whose into military re ...more
Dwayne Wojtowicz
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
John J. Nance is one of my favorite authors, but "Medusa's Child" just didn't do it for me.

The premise of the story is that Capt. Scott McKay is suppose to get a contract based off of his initial flight. That gets screwed up when he finds out they, the airport crew, loaded the wrong cargo and, on top of it, a bomb.

I felt that the characters interacted way too much in some spots of the novel and not enough in others.

The plot just wasn't up to par.
Carolyn Dewalt
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edge of your seat action

If you like airplane thrillers, no one writes like Nance. I am not a pilot and at times I may have skimmed a technical part, but it did not take away from the desire to keep reading. Hope we never find out that there is such technology ready to be unleashed.
Wayne
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aviation
I enjoy reading aviation thrillers, and this one ranks up there with the best.
Perhaps highly implausable, but it takes nothing away from the fast-paced action that makes this a real page turner!
Now I'll have a look at John Nance's other novels for sure.
Bill Bryan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never missed a word. A truly seat of the pants book. Loved every minute of it.

No flowery explanations, no bull,just thrilling reading. Can't wait to pick up his latest book.
Have to find the TV show.
Daniel L Thompson
Excellent Read

A Very good action thriller in John Nance style, a real page turner. You can not put it down .
Cynthia
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
High flying thriller , just can't put them down. Hey he lives in Tacoma & Flies for Alaska Airlines The man knows what he's talking about !!
Eva
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-aways
don't read witha fear of flying
Andrea Kepner
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a far-fetched premise. But such a great read!
Susan
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This guy's books rob me of needed sleep. Once I pick one up, I can't quit til I get to the end. Real thrillers and this one is GREAT.
Corky
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
listened to the audio - really good
Sandra
May 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Bomb on plane, loaded as part of dead man's last request of ex-wife. Good thriller
Michael Allison
Unbelieveable

Too many tedious description and frustrating improbable scenarios stretch a good shorter story into a draggy long story that forgot where it was going.
Elizabeth Gibbs
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
[appx. 11/2002 - no comments]
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
John J. Nance remains one of my favourite authors. The writing is always exciting, and while there are occasionally predictable moments, the stories are still good. Medusa's Child is no different.
Mark
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
A Pandora's Box type of story...interestingly told as only Nance can
where can one watch the miniseries? 1 4 Jul 11, 2010 10:12AM

• Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • The Malta Escape (Payne & Jones #9)
  • Injustice For All (Justice Seekers, #1)
  • Kingdom
  • Skrig under vand (Katrine Wraa #1)
  • De frosne flammer (Niels Oxen, #3)
  • Aftermath
  • Ligblomsten
  • Gengældelsen (Jensen & Sander #2)
  • Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos
  • Terminal Run
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • Icefire
  • Splintered Icon
  • 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation
  • Extreme Denial
John J. Nance is an American pilot, aviation safety expert, and author. He served in the USAF during the Vietnam War and also as a Lt. Colonel in Operation Desert Storm.