Start by marking “Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends” as Want to Read:
Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends

Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends

Are you wondering what the next killer app will be? Do you want to know how you can maintain and add to your value during these rapidly changing times? Are you wondering how the word love can even be used in the context of business?

Instead of wondering, read this book and find out how to become a lovecat--a nice, smart person who succeeds in business and in life.

How do you
Published July 22nd 2003 by Currency (first published January 1st 2002)

Start your review of Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
Daniel Lundgren
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
BIG THOUGHT: In a marketplace of greed and selfishness, love is the killer app that will allow you to stand out from the crowd. Love, or bizlove, (used here in the more specific context of business) is defined as sharing one's knowledge, networks, and compassion with those who you come into contact with who can benefit from it in their business lives.

The knowledge component means reading as many good books on business (and the specifics of what will help you in your job) as you can. Most of
Parker
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Tim Sanders was in a band, then joined a few small companies, then a startup called Broadcast.com, which was acquired by Yahoo, where he quickly became successful using his "lovecat" strategy.
Being a lovecat means putting warmth, love, and charity into all your business dealings through knowledge, networks, and compassion.

He recommends reading voraciously, then sharing your knowledge with your "bizmates" like a doctor shares prescriptions. He recommends matchmaking people in your network at
Andy
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This weekend, I finished "Love is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends" by Tim Sanders. I don’t usually go for motivational, inspirational books, much less books that motivate and inspire my professional life, but I’ve heard several friends and trusted influencers rave about it.

One reason I don’t read those books is in order for the authors to distinguish themselves from others, and because it makes lectures and speaking engagements easier, they speak in buzzwords and
Amy
Mar 14, 2017 marked it as not-going-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
>.>
Lovecats.
I could not take this book seriously. I figured I could get through it because it was short but I am not going to bother anymore. Blahhhh. Boring!
Shawn Grimes
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant about this book but it's actually pretty good.

Some will criticize it for being too touchy feely and even I can't help but admit that as someone who is adverse to physical expressions of emotions, I'm weary of a huggy work environment. Aside from all the hugging, it has some pretty good ideas for making yourself marketable and admired.

One of the points that the book makes is the importance of sharing knowledge. It gives you good steps for gaining knowledge to share as well,
Ross
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for concrete practical strategies for building business relationships, as well as heartfelt, earnest inspiration to apply it, you have targeted your search successfully by landing on "Love Is The Killer App".

Mr. Sanders teaches us in this book how to practice "bizlove", which is all about sharing. More specifically, it is freely sharing the sources of intangible value which we all have in our (1) knowledge, (2) personal networks, and (3) compassion. The bulk of the book deals
Joanna
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book contains the sort of inspirational mantra that I wish more folks would secretly adopt. Genuinely caring about people, getting to know them and understanding their needs will go farther than the old-school cut-throat business model of stomping on all around you to reach the top of the heap.

I got this book with mixed expectations (I mean, it's inspirational business luv stuff), and found that the first 65 pages were a great lead-in. After that it fell apart for a while as the author
Katerina
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
"Love Is the Killer App" proposes that love (the sensible but selfless promotion of the growth of another) is the key to satisfying business success. Love in the business world (bizlove) involves the sensible sharing of one's knowledge, network and compassion. Sanders devotes a chapter to each of these to show how to put bizlove into action.

I picked this book up because I liked his view of sharing knowledge for the benefit of others. I already believed that love is the best way to interact with
Gail
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I'm certainly no expert on business books. But for what that genre is worth, this book is a home run.

Tim Sanders charisma oozes out of the pages of this book and his business philosophy is hard to argue with.

In Sanders' mind, we all need to practice "love business" - the act of intelligently and sensibly sharing what he calls our intangibles (our knowledge, our network and our compassion) with our business partners.

I found themes in the book that applied to both my job at the university and also
Sundeep
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Two sentence summary: Invest in your network and you’ll reap intangible rewards. Read a lot and share the learnings from what you read with your world.

Recommended? Eh. Sorta. Nothing revolutionary in here, but that’s because this is how I’ve tried to approach my “network” from the beginning. Do what I can for people in my network without expectation of anything in return, and trust that when I need something the door will be open to ask. Right guys? You’ll hook me up when I need ya…right?? Also,
Bill Glover
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sanders recipe for success is three pointed. Be friendly, create a larger network of 'biz-friends', and fanatically read/study books that you can inject into any conversation and disseminate. If folks in the business world become more friendly and more well read, that's a win.
Of course, some of the underlying assumptions of our modern business environment are impressively bleak; namely that you have a job because no one has invented a computer that can replace you (but they are feverishly
Stephen Hedlund
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The difference between having [people's] time and their attention is the difference between ham and eggs. The chicken is involved, but the pig is committed."

"I've looked at all the possibilities, and for the student of business, books are the answer. Books should be your diet's staple because they are the complete thought meal, containing hypotheses, data, research, and conclusions..."

This wasn't the best book I've ever read, but I definitely recommend it. The book's big idea is to inspire the
Matthew Lindell
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The general premise is the value of sharing our intangibles of knowledge, our network, and compassion with our business contacts. There are some very good practical nuggets of how to get the most out of a business book, how to gain strong networking skills and leverage them, as well as some tools for sharing compassion in the workplace.

On the negative, I found his language to be purposefully sloppy (lovecat, bizworld, littermate) and more of a distraction than of value. There was also a strong
Desiree Loeven
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Info book. Encourages people to be compassionate by appealing to the ego. Follows up advice with lines like, "...your compassion makes others view you in a way that money can't buy. You are so money you don't even know it!" Treats compassion and people as commodities to be traded and connected to others for good energy/favors - while heavily denying that's what is suggested/expected.

I have no doubt his tactics work for him, though seeing the inner workings of why and how he propagates the
Andrew Gillette
May 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read this book hoping that it would discuss customer/client considerations for software development. I was disappointed. Instead, this book uses new blood silicon valley fluffy speech about how to present yourself; your appearance, and how to basically be a smarmy ass-kisser rather than and individual that has a tangible skill.

My advice: business and policy people will enjoy it. Technical and science people will be sad that they'll never get their time back.
Khalil Hamad
I loved the book at beginning till knowledge, I give 5 as a rate , but when sanders start talking about compassion I think he overreacted, you know this world is very superficial.
Carole
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on marketing. It will change your typical views of being in business and the idea of competition. Forget that and become a Lovecat!
Michael Lundy
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
For everyone who loves books
Mark Oppenlander
I read this book while doing research for a class on love in business. The title alone was enough to grab my attention; there just aren't that many people who pair the words "love" and "business" in a single sentence. Tim Sanders, a former Yahoo executive, thinks they belong together.

The concept of the book is simple and the writing is fast-paced, filled with personal stories and anecdotes. Sanders argues that starting with a posture of love in the world of business will lead to more success in
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
If I had to sum up Tim Sanders' book in a phrase, it would be "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

Seriously, his whole idea is basically The Golden Rule. Treat others with kindness and compassion; don't view people just for what they can do for you; knowledge isn't just for your own personal use.

The only thing missing is a motivator. Sure, Tim attempts to give motivation for why we should show compassion and love others, but he doesn't have the Truth, so it feels a little
Kathryn
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: leaders who believe in coaching, building and empowering their team.
Recommended to Kathryn by: An executive coach
Tim Sanders book was read by a team of coworkers. This is their collective review of "Love is the Killer App".

Knowledge, networking and compassion are the tent-poles necessary to be a lovecat...a nice smart successful person.

The first step in becoming a lovecat is to accumulate knowledge says author Tim Sanders. “Knowledge” is an absolute necessity to be a person of value and remain relevant in your career. And, in the process, help others to gain an edge in their careers. The result is that you
Mark Youngkin
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first secular business book I've read in a long time. It has some tertiary application to ministry, but I'll have to spend time with it later in the year to develop them and hopefully apply them to some of the classes I teach.

Sanders, a Yahoo! executive, believes and has proven that you can be successful in business by being a "lovecat" - the opposite of the "mad dogs" I've encountered at every step in my career. Nice, Smart People Succeed is his mantra, and it's certainly something
Mark Youngkin
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Paige
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading again - Great look at how to make an impact on your career and workplace. Excellent POV for CEOs & helpful for managers.

Notes:

This is not love in the sentimental or physical sense – love in business, which involves smartly offering your three intangible qualities: knowledge, network and compassion.

First, knowledge is all the information you’ve gained and will continue to gain, whether you picked it up at school, work, or taught it to yourself.

Second is your network – your web
Susan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Tim's upbeat and energetic personality. He is very believably the perfect example of a "lovecat" which this book is all about. I do find it a bit disheartening to think, though, that people in the business world need to be told to shake hands, share info, play fair, be compassionate, etc. Maybe his ideas will catch on and this kind of personality will be the norm instead of the exception. I did find many of his business scenerios a bit over my head, and some of his advice was ...more
Steven
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently reread one of my favorite business books built on such a simple premise: share with everybody! Share your knowledge that you're constantly adding to through reading. Share your network that you're constantly building through introductions. Share your compassion and kindness in genuinely meaningful ways. I love this concept so much that I've listed the premise on my Linked In profile for years.
Garrett Maroon
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read and detailed explanation of how to lead our relationships with love and the impact that has on those around us and in turn, our careers. The author encourages the reader to focus more on giving to those around them, expecting nothing in return. Through the principles in the book we can truly influence and encourage those around us which, as a result, grows our own value in the marketplace
Pam Kaur
I think the book is quite insightful, especially for those who are learning to lead their team better. I personally found the book a little draggy with too many examples and too little content. I guess BCS the content was repetitive mostly but Sanders shared some really strong points. I would read some parts of this book again.
L
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is random, and leads to many dead end roads. I don't know if it is because the references are no longer relevant that it seemed cheesy, but it comes across as if this guy has what he believes is this incredible revelation about "love and the workplace" and feels it is his calling to share. For me it lacked depth, and meaning. I am still hungry after reading...
Phil Levy
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three concepts to devoting a value added personal brand.

This very readable and entertaining book prescribes three interrelated aspects for becoming a true business resource to clients, associated and vendors. It also relates to social contacts. These aspects are; knowledge, networking sharing and dealing with others with loving kindness. Well worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Start Something That Matters
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
  • What Would Google Do?
  • Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary
  • Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands