Start by marking “On the Outside” as Want to Read:
On the Outside

On the Outside

From the author of Taking Flight comes a new young adult lesbian romance:
High school junior Kayla and her two best friends have always been close. Even after Kayla becomes a cheerleader with a basketball star boyfriend, Riley falls in with the skaters, and Evan loses himself in school, the three remain dedicated to their promise to each other: to remain friends no matter w
Published September 9th 2015

To ask other readers questions about On the Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Outside

Lexxi Kitty
This book is the last one I had not yet read – so now I’ve read everything published by this author. I was going to say that it was also my least favorite, but I see another one that I marked the same rating, and looking over it, and recalling it, that other book is ‘worse’ so this is my second least favorite book by this author.

This is the story of three friends – they were friends as children, and they are still friends now that they are in high school, even though the three might not normally
Julia
Quick, fun read. The story was cool and the girls were super adorable together and Siera Maley writes the sweetest hilarious moments, but things just felt very rushed. I kept comparing this to Dating Sarah Cooper which I read recently, and the similarity that caught my attention the most was that they're both written in first-person so you read all about what the protagonist is feeling, but you can still perfectly tell how the other female lead feels too. The author writes all sorts of hints int ...more
Sabrina Grafenberger
I don’t think this book is as good as Siera Maley’s Dating Sarah Cooper and Colorblind but it’s still a cute coming-out story with emphasis on friendship, funny dialogues and adorable characters.
Rain
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Things between all of us were just showing signs of being on their way back to normal, but every time Riley and I looked at each other, I could tell we were both thinking about ruining it all."
3.5 stars. High school best friends who discover they have feelings for each other. Predictable but cute. :)
Megzz
Well... sometimes teen angst isn't that bad for the soul.

Gotta be in the mood for it, though!
alyssa
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love love loved this book so so much. everything about it was amazing!!! the friendship!!! the relationship!!! it was so realistic. i think my favorite part was the fact that no one put a ton of pressure on who their first kiss was and what it was supposed to mean to them. their first kiss didn’t Have to be special and it wasn’t made out to be some big deal. im not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense but it was something i loved so much about this book. everyone PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!!!
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
An extremely generous 3 stars.

I didn't realize when I read this that it was the same author who wrote Taking Flight, but in retrospect I can see a LOT of similarities.

Like Taking Flight, this book isn't bad, but it's not particularly good either. It's as middle of the road basic as you can get. But it kept my attention the whole time and more positive representations of bi main characters are always good, so there's that.

Sometimes things are just TOO on the nose, though, which often gives it a
Heinerway
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
If you like teenage angst and high school drama, this book is definitely perfect for you.
Netty
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Coming out story...... Not my cup of tea, it was one of them book that got on your nerves but have to finish to see what happens, but it was well written, not a very realistic ending though
Jenna
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is another solid entry from Siera Maley. A bit lighter than Dating Sarah Cooper, On the Outside did cover some similar ground. Both were about high school girls coming to terms with their own sexuality, both dealt with friendships turning to love under difficult circumstances.

Dating Sarah Cooper felt a little edgier, though; it had more bite, it examined the different reactions to homosexuality and bisexuality, it looked at GSAs and LGBTQ+ resource centers. While the issues in Dating Sarah
Angie
On the Outside is all about a trio of friends: Kayla, Riley, and Evan. They've been friends since first grade, and before starting high school promised to stay best friends no matter what. It's been hard, but they've managed to stay friends, although not quite as close. Most of this is because Kayla has a boyfriend, but as soon as they break up, Riley and Evan start dating making things even more awkward. More awkward still would be Kayla realizing that she's jealous because she likes Riley too! ...more
Ashley
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-ya, lesbian, lgbt, ya
I received an advanced copy from Siera, and I'm so glad that I did! I think I read it all the way through in one sitting. It was adorable and the couple (Kayla and Riley) were even more so. And as much as I wanted to hate Evan for being in the way, I just couldn't, poor guy. Great addition to the genre, and something we need more of!
Dessy Hristova
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in like... a few hours. I just couldn't put the book down. I love teen angst and the whole storyline is amazing. <3 This is the second book i've read by Siera Maley and I believe she is well on her way to becoming my favourite author.
Abbie
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Felt quite slow, and I didn't love the characters, but it was an okay read overall.
Roxie Prince
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

‘On the Outside’ by Siera Maley
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
Finished on February 23, 2018
Read with Kindle Unlimited Subscription
FREE on Kindle Unlimited | $2.99 on Kindle | $8.99 in Paperback

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Kayla has had the same two best friends since she was a small child. She, Evan, and Riley have always been there for each other and when they started high school, they vowed to never let anything (or anyone) come between them.

As things tend to go and as hig
Raven Etheridge
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Siera Maley does it once again! Man, I'm on a book binge and I've managed to read four books by her in a span of two days and I am loving every single bit of it!

To me, this is a plot line that is often done wrong on several occasions and put through hell. Usually when there is a group of three and two of them starts to date and the odd one out realizes that they like one of the two that are dating, it becomes a mess. Oftentimes, ending the childhood friendships and it's just really toxic to see.
Dyslexic Bookmonster
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtqia
After having read most of Siera Maley's books, I have come to the conclusion that I just really don't like how she brings her stories. This is why:
Endless amounts of (teenage) drama. There is always at least one in the closet and new to being gay/bisexual (which is not a bad thing, I mean the characters are young adults, of course, they have not got it all figured it out. Yet it does annoy me how stereotypical they all fall into the same patterns).
Little to no cute interaction between the charac
Kieren
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this one after finishing up Dating Sarah Cooper by the same author. I really enjoyed the way friendship and relationships were handled. It’s clear that a lot of thought went into deciding what solution would be realistic given the circumstances of the three main character’s relationships with each other. I loved the dynamic between all of them so much! It all felt very oragnic.

The way the author wrote the introspection Kayla goes through while trying to figure out how she felt
Afah Aziz
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.7 out of 5. A fun read. I haven't read a lot of fun YA books recently. It's like reading Meg Cabot, featuring lesbians. (I'm a fan of Cabot, so that is def a good thing.)

Besides the MC (Kayla) figuring out her sexuality and coming to terms with her feelings for her best friend Riley, the book also depicts what happens when best friends with feelings for each other come in a package of three persons, instead of two. Hence, the book title (I think).
Ruby Ridge
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are going to read a YA romance better make it a FF romance. Reason - the MF romances are Boring with their pitiful cookie cutter male lead (fill in the cliches bad boy, tattoos, muscles .....) whereas the YA FF romances have so much range for character development and soul searching and Siera Maley is pretty damn good at it.
Five stars and recommended.
Jenni
3.5
AltogetherTrue
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance, ya
A quick sweet YA romance read. Well written with good characters. The story developed really naturally and felt perfectly paced.
Heaven Cassata
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
easy and short contemporary LGBT read but there wasn't much more to the book than that.
John gilbert
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice story with some interesting ethical issues, but no biggie. In the end fairly pedestrian even though the main characters were interesting. Just ok.
RadMusicTeach
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice story. A bit contrived at times with predictable characters, but the story keeps you reading.
Nicole (loversinalibrary)
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Jesper
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, young-adult, romance
I had read Dating Sarah Cooper before, which I thought was amazing. So needless to say, my expectations for my second Siera Maley book were high.

The premise of On the Outside is quite peculiar. Usually stories like these are simple in the way that there'll be two people, and then they'll fall in love, and everyone's happy, the end. But this story starts off with three friends; a boy and two girls. So already from page one you know the stars won't align perfectly for everyone. It's not that predi
ithinkicould
Jasmin Sveum
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad an author is out there writing these kinda books for young adults/teens!

As an adult, I wish I had more literature out there when I was going through the awkward stage of coming to grips with my sexuality in high school. This is another great addition to the books Ms. Maley has published in this theme.

The story is easy to get into and all the characters are relatable; the conflict itself is very confined as everything else that could get worse outside of it pans out positively, if not c
  • Because of Her
  • Stars Collide
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • Seven Minutes In Heaven
  • The Fall
  • Dating Game
  • Finding Home (Winter Jacket, #3)
  • The Chosen One (The Chosen One, #1)
  • Faking It
  • More Than a Kiss
  • Who I Am
  • Suddenly
  • Hidden Truths (The Oregon Series, #2)
  • A Story of Now (A Story of Now, #1)
  • Kara's Moon
  • London Calling (A London Romance)
  • Style
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
Siera Maley was born and raised in the southern Bible Belt. After coming out as a lesbian as a teen, she relocated to a more suburban area and now lives with her girlfriend and very adorable dogs while she works on writing young adult lesbian fiction.