Start by marking “Fiction First Aid: Instant Remedies for Novels, Stories and Scripts” as Want to Read:
Fiction First Aid: Instant Remedies for Novels, Stories and Scripts

Fiction First Aid: Instant Remedies for Novels, Stories and Scripts

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Just like a first aid manual, this reference quickly offers writers easy-to-follow steps and specific remedies for fixing the parts in their manuscripts that "just aren't working."
Published December 1st 2001 by Writer's Digest Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fiction First Aid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiction First Aid

Rose
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quick review for a fantastic read. "Fiction First Aid" breaks down a lot of problems that can arise from writing narratives. I didn't always agree with some of the advice given, but I really liked how Raymond Obstfeld breaks down some of the common problems that can arise in writing narratives, why these problems arise, and how to address them to make the aspects of the work stronger. I ended up taking a lot of notes from this book to make me think about some of the common criticisms that I see ...more
Ethan
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fiction First Aid is a how-to book on writing with lots of examples and some interesting suggestions for fixing the various problems that crop up when writing & revising.

While I don't necessarily agree with everything Obstfeld says, he does have a unique way of presenting his ideas: he organizes each chapter by categories like Plot, Theme, Setting, Style, Characterization, then gives "symptoms" of a certain ailment (like shallow characterization), a "diagnosis" for figuring out what's wrong,
Chris Bauer
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Valuable handbook for diagnosing common issues with writing. Ranging from the pragmatic to the more structural aspects of narrative creation, the author does a great job of describing "symptoms" as well as possible remedies.

As with virtually every other book on writing I've ever read I don't agree with all of it; just enough to make myself a better writer through practice of the craft.

I'd recommend this book to experienced writers, rather than those just starting out or "kicking the tires" as s
Seamus
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
There are a few tips in this book that are worth reading. The author clearly knows his stuff. Yet his inability to tell the difference between personal pet peeves and more general rules of good writer's craft is persistent. The beginning writer should be cautious with this book.
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, writing
An excellent book that helps point out common flaws in writing and how to fix them as well as how to keep a book going and entertaining. Easy to read and understand because of the format.
Cindy Sproles
Aug 23, 2013
Jessica
Nov 19, 2007
Chelsey
rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2011
Mar 31, 2009
Katie
Sep 29, 2013
aka Laramie Dunaway, Jason Frost, Carl Stevens

Raymond Obstfeld is the author of more than forty books of fiction and nonfiction and is a professor of creative writing. He lives in California.
More about Raymond Obstfeld...