Start by marking “The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)

The Protégé (Christian Gillette #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  880 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Having survived his rise to Chairman of Everest Capital, the world's largest private equity firm, and the ferocious attempts on his life that ensued, Christian Gillette finally seems safely perched atop the financial industry. He's just accepted Everest's largest private investment, he's poised to takeover his exrival's sinking firm, and he's just embarked on his firm's mo ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Fawcett Books

To ask other readers questions about The Protégé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Protégé

Stephanie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was brilliantly plotted and riveting the way Frey built the tension and connected the intricate pieces of the world of high finance. He took us inside the mind of a venture capitalist, Christian Gilette and showed us how the man thought and how he did what he did--without boring me.
Unfortunately Christian was the only character with any character. The women in the novel were very two dimensional and extremely unlikable, especially the woman with the biggest speaking part. She was nasty
Cindy
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cindy by: Brian Holmes
Anne
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Did not like it...implausible characters and too many plot devices. Did not even finish the book. Do not recommend.
Abdul
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book started off well but crashed and burned midway. The vital ingredient of a mystery is that it be believable. This book lost its believability factor midway.
Jim
Aug 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
like Frey's work but a little over the top on main character's financial genius
Raquel Fitzgerald
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story.
DjS
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Always enjoyed the Frey novels read previously. Not this time. I recommend you pass on this one.
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I realized how much I enjoy the writing of Stephen Frey. The Protégé is another excellent thriller dealing with Wall Street and men of financial power. Christian Gillette is an absolutely wonderful and believable main character. I love how he wields his power, yet has not become corrupted by this same power. I also like that this book takes over directly where The Chairman leaved off.

The pace of the book is fast and the story is extremely exciting. From the first page, Frey grabs th
Phyllis Sommers
A fast-paced, fun novel that ended up being quite predictable. As head of Everest Capital, a major private equities firm in New York, Christian Gillette found business moving at an extremely fast pace. Thanks to two of his protégées, David Wright and Allison Wallace, Christian Gillette feels at the top of his game as head of Everest Capital. However, when a supposed undercover government agency recruits Gillette and his company to act as a "cutout," a project that exists for purposes of spying, ...more
Kendall
May 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Fast-paced like a thriller? Yes, but there can be too much of a good thing, like so fast the author neglects to tie up all the plot strands credibly. Or, not doing basic research (examples: President Truman lived in the Blair House in the 1950s is only half true--see http://www.blairhouse.org/s_r_truman.... -- or the Iranian character who identifies himself as "arabic" -- Iranians are NOT Arabs) Sloppy, and like so many poorly written thrillers, depends on heaping implausibility on top of implau ...more
Vannessa Anderson
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Christian Gillette wanted to know was why his daddy died and who his biological mother was. To get answers Christian Gillette would find himself dodging bullets. The Protégé is a page turner and not a book you can put down. I know because I stayed up all night reading it.

Holter Graham was the voice of the characters.
Lee
This is an okay high finance thriller by Frey but he wraps up the plot way too quickly at the end. Hedge Fund manager Christian Gillette is back in this one and he is threatened on many sides by enemies both old and new. David Wright Gillette's protege is being blackmailed by these enemies will he betray his mentor or save him?
Pbwritr
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
An investment banking firm is buying and selling companies left and right, landing considerable sums. One of the most senior members has just murdered a prostitute and is being blackmailed by a member of the Mafia, who wants in on a deal the company is set to do in Las Vegas. All very complex and fast-moving. Entertaining.
Walter
The book started well, but I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It is easier to throw balls into the air than to bring them down, but still thought that one character's "way out" from his problems was unrealistic and parts of the final scenes were cliches.
Humzah Yazdani
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Mr Frey had me at "The Takeover" but this book has been a major let off. It was never grasping until he left some loose ends, which I needed to know for closure. He spends so much time building the suspense and barely details the culmination. Very mediocre!
Aaron
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, thriller
Part Godfather, part The Firm - all intrigue, and adventure! Stephen Frey's style mixes Puzo and Grisham with the high stakes world of private equity. The Protege was a fun audiobook listen and recommended for some "escapism" distraction. (makes my commute more bearable)
Alison
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Chairman - Protege - Power Broker - Successor. In this order, follow the career of Christian Gillette through these four novels. The best is the Chairman and then the rest are a blur, but some were better than others.
Johnnie Gee
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The mafia, enemy's, people who work for you, companies you run, old friends, new friends....who can you trust and who do you trust? Who to groom to take over when you decide to move on.

This is a good book, I really like the Christian Gillette series I hope they keep coming.
Joy
Excellant, quick-read. Murder, intrigue, high finance.
David Crews
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Jim Moffett
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
05-09
Gretchen
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Frey can twist a plot until you are so confused you'll figure out the who dun it but love every minute of trying to figure it out.
Page
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced with great corporate intrigue.
Raymond
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and a serious page turner.
D R
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book; a plot that holds your interest till the end; very well narrated. If you are looking to read a good thriller, go ahead...
Vicki Elia
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Audiobook Review

See "The Successor" as full series review.
Nancy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
Corporate intrigue. most ghastly opening scene, I almost didn't go on.
William
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Audio book: I was captivated by the subject of private investors in the first book. The story just did not have any realism in my opinion.
Katlyn
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book had ALOT of sugestive material and was not verry uplifting. it on the first page i knew it would be bad. i am kinda mad that i read it.
Irene
Jan 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
audio -- simply grandiose
  • The Patriots Club
  • The Gods of Greenwich
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • Fireflies
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • The Insiders
  • Free to Trade
  • Killer Instinct
  • Time Will Run Back: A Novel About the Rediscovery of Capitalism
  • The Race
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • Without Mercy (Sean Dillon, #13)
  • Access To Power
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...

Christian Gillette (4 books)
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)