Start by marking “Heidi (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
Heidi (Great Illustrated Classics)

Heidi (Great Illustrated Classics)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,438 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
A Swiss orphan is heartbroken when she must leave her beloved grandfather and their happy home in the mountains to go to school and to care for an invalid girl in the city.
Published September 1st 2002 by Classics (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Heidi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heidi

Aspen
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this book as a girl. I would have loved it!
Amanda Peterson
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a really easy and fun book to read. It's all about a girl named Heidi and it tells about how she is raised when she has to live with her grandfather, and the love she soon has for him. One of the themes of this book is definitely that you can change your heart. Heidi's grandfather's heart was so sad and was so cold, but she was able to change that through love and was able to make a lasting impression on him, and he will be thankful to her for that, for the rest of his li ...more
Not impressed with this adaptation. So much was cut out or CHANGED in the story! Stick with the full version. But do know the translations do differ in the full versions as well. We had three translations discussed at book club and I was very surprising that we even noticed anything different. (Seemed like only minor things but still!)
Kiki
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! It's a classic for a reason, it's just a very special book, one that will make you feel happy, with a very satisfying ending :D
Miranda
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my last book review (book review #8) I choose this awesome book called Heidi, It has two hundred and sixty nine pages, This book has twenty two chapters and it's written by Johanna Spyry and this book talks about one girl that is named Heidi she is a five year old girl, Her dad and her mom died in an accident, his grandfather took Heidi to live with him.

Heidi wasn't that sad at all with her grandfather, the grandpa's job is being a farmer, but not in the City no in the farm, in the mountains
Marie F 7
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi is about a little girl that grew up a foster child but then lived with her aunt for about months, but then she was taken to her grandfather which was very weird because her grandfather was very angry and never showed emotion on his face, so a lot of people thought of him as a bad person and a person who killed his wife, there was an accident that happen with his wife, he was accused of killing his wife but what really happened was that a rock rolled down the high mountain and killed her. H ...more
Cheryle Fisher
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child but wanted to re-read as I have forgotten much of it. Interesting read.
Heidi, of the majestic Swiss Alps, finds beauty and wisdom in nature. Living in isolation with Grandfather and two goats, she develops a special feeling for the plants and animals in their hills and valleys. Her life changes when she is urged to study in a city. She befriends an invalid girl but is homesick for her mountain life. Adventures in her alpine home and with city friends will warm your heart.

T
♠ Tabi ♠
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the very first books I remember reading on my own.
Letspretenditsacastle
A lovely read. It is suitable for young children and adults alike because of it wonderful setting and beautiful characters. It was just a lovely read.
Daisy
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Recommended to Daisy by: my teacher
As i read this book I release how Heidi's love grows as she meets alot of people who have changed her life. These people have also changed Heidi's life with every obsticla she has like moving homes, meeting new people, and living within new environments. Heidi is a younge little girl who was left to her aunt Dete but soon was forced to go live up in the mountains with her grandpa who was known as "Uncle."Dete had to leave Heidi with her grandpa because she had a job offer and could not take care ...more
Duynguyen
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An orphan child, Heidi, live with aunt Dete at first. Then aunt Dete give Heidi to her grandfather because Dete think that she had finished her responsibility to take care of Heidi. So, he leave Heidi to Heidi's grandfather. She lived with her grandfather for a while and he loved Heidi a lot. Heidi was a sociable girl who alway make friend with other. Later, she make with other two characters. They was Peter and his grandmother. His grandmother was blind so she can not see the world or either re ...more
Ahmad Al-mutawa
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب يحتوي على 237 صفحة .. نصفها مخصص للرسومات التوضيحية .. يعني أن القصة مكتوبة في 119 صفحة..
يمكن قراءة هذا الكتاب خلال ساعة..
على الرغم من أن قصة هايدي معروفة وقد شاهدنا مسلسلها الكارتوني أيام الطفولة، وأصبح جيل اليوم يتابع النسخة المطورة من مسلسلها المرسوم بالكمبيوتر، إلا أن قراءة الكتاب يمنحك شعورًا مختلفًا..

الكتاب يحتوي على قدر كبير من المشاعر المختلطة بين السعادة والحزن والغضب وراحة البال.. وفي بعض الأحيان تتفاعل مع الأحداث لدرجة تنسى معها أنك تقرأ قصة خيالية.... أعجبني بالتحديد طيبة هاي
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My mom gave me this book when I was younger but I never finished it. Recently I had picked up the original novel and I loved it. So I decided to read this version too but I was very disappointed. This author did shorten it well, but she left out the most important parts! Johanna Spyri's book was based on turning back to God and getting right with God and man. Deidre Laiken took all of that out and put the focus on the goodness of humankind and only getting right with people. But there is not one ...more
Judy
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found a first edition of this book and reread it with total enjoyment and contentment. I hadn't remembered it contained such uplifting inspiration. As for the descriptions of scenery, the scents of flowers, and fresh mountain air, I felt I was there. Even the goat milk and cheese sound wonderful, though I am not sure how much I'd like them in real life. Having been to the Swiss Alps a few times, I can vouch for the beauty. We should all meet a sweet girl like Heidi and have such friendly relat ...more
Kiara
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-mc, french
I was reading the book in french and it was really good. Heidi was a great mc. I feel that lately I've really been liking the mc's in the book's I've been reading. My second favorite character was Clara and then Peter. I really hated that women that took care of Clara but I really liked Sebastian. I was happy that Heidi went back to live with her grandfather and I was also happy when Clara started walking. Although I did assume that would happen once I read that she was staying longer at Uncle A ...more
Yuka Honda
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title-HEIDI
Time-10/4=20minutes;10/7=40minutes
7words-Heidi,Clara,goat,mountain,house,wheelchair,hug
Discussion questions-
1. Heidi ran with many goads at the hill. If you go to the hill, what do you want to do?
I also want to run with my friends at the hill.
2. The story is written the sentences,"Please be my friend." If you are said by my friends, what do you think?
If I'm said by my friends, I will be happy.

I have never seen this movie. After I read the book, I wanted to watch the movie.
Yuka Honda
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title-Heidi
Time-10/4=20minutes,10/7=40minutes
7words=Heidi,Clara,goat,mountain,house,whellchair,hug
Discussion question-
1. Heidi ran with many goats at the hill. If you go to the hill, what do you want to do?
I also want to run with my friends at the hill.
2. The story is written the sentences, "Please be my friend." If you are said by my friends, what do you think?
If I'm said by my friends, I will be happy.

Deviki
I remember reading this book as a must-read-book during my school days. We are to read this book and then later watch a movie (animated i think) before siting for a pop quiz.

I really really loved this book so much, I used to reread so many times and kept wondering how would it be like to live in Heidi's world. To me it was magical although nothing about this book is magic though.

This is not the book I read, but hey the story is the same
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I've always done better with children's literature. E and I will finish this tonight... our first chapter book together! She read the captions and chapter titles. Pretty soon she'll be reading the whole book! This was our TV Turnoff Week activity. We both have loved it. Benjo even sandwiched himself in with us and is now requesting that we start "The Swiss Fmaily Robinson." Horray for yard sale books!
adindaxtron
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft spot for children's lit. And Heidi is not an exception. For most people, reading this book would be a tedious experience. Mainly bc of the book format which has very little to no paragraph breaks in each page.

Reading this book as an adult gave me a heart warming experience, something which prolly wouldn't happen if I read Heidi a decade earlier.

PS: From Mba Fanni, thank you for such a thoughtful gift!
Amelia Pelaez
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book awhile ago and loved it! It is perfect for all ages and can be read multiple times. This story is about a young girl living with her grandfather in Switzerland, and all of her adventures. She tries living in other places in order to experience new opportunities, leading to a bunch of climatic situations! I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys peaceful stories, with a touch of adventure.
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first book that I owned and started my life long affair with books. I remember sitting on my bed, before I had learned to read, pretending to read this book out loud in gibberish. My mother read it to me, but once I learned how to read, this was the first book I read and it was so much more satisfying! I will always love and cherish this book.
Teri
A sweet book. That is what I liked and disliked about it. Almost cloyingly sweet at times. But the story of healing and the power of a beautiful setting are oddly compelling, especially when reading to a nine year-old. Still, I can't stay long in a book with no real conflict and this one took TWO months of reading aloud!
Anna Gildnes
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 8 year old loves this book. The chapters are short enough that she finds them manageable. I like that the story is not your typical 3rd grade writing where kids stomp around and do what they want. The story of Heidi and Clara is a great one to teach children that people who look like they have everything may truly have something going on in their lives that is anything but great.
Nancy
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listening-to
Having never read this, yet I've seen the Shirley Temple version several times, it was fun to finally see what all the fuss was about. Charming and well told. I was particularly delighted with the descriptions of the alps and the contrast they were to Frankfurt.
Kerri
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I did not realize this was an "adapted" edition when I picked it up to read. Unfortunately, all the descriptive narrative has been stripped leaving a disjointed story that is sometimes hard to follow and generally not particularly engaging. I recommend reading a complete version of this story.
Emma
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great reading this book. I haven't read it before but I saw a TV show of the story when I was a kid (many times) and so reading Heidi was like re-reading an old favourite. Lovely feel-good book :)
LucyJean
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is a very good book because it teaches you a very good lesson. The lesson is to be good to other people who aren't nice to you. Be open minded if you have to move or be nice to people that no one likes.
Reshma
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long long time ago. It was recommended by my school librarian. I remember being Heidi in my dreams. I can't write a review because I do not really remember much of it. What I can say for sure is that I would recommend this book to kids, as well as to adults who haven't read this.
Debbie Lee
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPINESS

This book brings happiness to sad people or sick people . I would recommend this book to people in wheelchairs. There's a girl who recovers from spending her life in a wheelchair because of good mountain air.
  • A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)