Start by marking “The Definitive Book of Body Language” as Want to Read:
The Definitive Book of Body Language

The Definitive Book of Body Language

Available for the first time in the United States, this international bestseller reveals the secrets of nonverbal communication to give you confidence and control in any face-to-face encounter–from making a great first impression and acing a job interview to finding the right partner.

It is a scientific fact that people’s gestures give away their true intentions
Published July 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Definitive Book of Body Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Definitive Book of Body Language

Start your review of The Definitive Book of Body Language
Jan-Maat
I am fairly sure this was recommended on a management course. Entertaining read, well illustrated. Not sure how accurate it is, I tried out some of the ideas such as sitting side by side or at an angle to somebody rather than opposite across a desk at them. I certainly felt better for doing so but then the book told me that I would!

The downside for me is that I started to become absurdly self-conscious. Was I standing in an optimum way, sending out the best messages? Were my feet poi
Amir Tesla
Since childhood, I've always fantasized having the superpower of mind reading and ever since being exposed to a diverse set of materials on body language I can assert that I've actually cultivated some skills in this vain :D :P.

This book by Allan Peace is the bible of the body language books and reference to many results you see when you google about this topic and covers a wide and thorough spectrum of topics.

Here are some exciting skills and insights you will acquire af
Maureen Forys
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Aside from there being misinformation scattered about, (Napoleon wasn't 5'4", George W Bush didn't get his first passport when he became president) the authors completely rely on logical fallacies to prove their points. They make huge sweeping generalizations (they said Britain, Germany, etc. have been world powers is because their populations often mirror body language...... What??? And also that heavy smokers haven't been breast-fed whereas non smokers have been) and completely lost their cred ...more
Ellen Maze
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Watchers
As an author, I am naturally a student of observation, so this book had the potential to be of great service to me not only in my writing, but in character-building and expression.

I enjoyed the read. Unlike some other Body Language books, this one has a lot of photographs, and at the risk of sounding sophomoric, they really added to my understanding of the text.

The chapters/categories made a lot of sense, and the information moved along with little unnecessary repetition. I think everyone who
Gabriela
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Allan Pease and Barbara Pease apply their experience in medicine, biology and psychology to illustrate the workings of the brain and how this influences our body language. In the Definite Book Of Body Language, the authors show us how we can use our knowledge of the brain's functions to understand people's emotions and behaviors.

I have to say that neuropsychology and behavioral science have always fascinated me. There are many books out there about these topics. But I found this one
Raluca
3.5/5.

This book was very difficult to rate. On one hand, it's a pretty comprehensive guide of human gestures and postures, aided in their understanding by suggestive illustrations. On the other hand, I kept getting the feeling that the authors were trying really, really hard to sell me a commercial version of body language. Often, things were exaggeratedly emphasized in a clickbaity way and I would not have been surprised to see chapter titles such as: "You will not believe how your
Mary
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mary by: Mary Thorley and some blog?
I rarely read every word of non-fiction books, but this is one of the rare exceptions. It's not even particularly fascinating. But it is interesting enough to hold my attention without skipping or skimming over anything. ALMOST four stars. It wasn't awesome enough to go out and purchase, but it would be great to have around all the time for reference when the fancy strikes. I doubt I'll remember this stuff on my own as well as I'd like to.

I'm sure that for a few days at least, I'll b
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you read one book of allan pease on body language, then you've read'em all.
Its a book that contains all regular body positions and what can you learn from them. Worth a one time read (but can be used as a reference if you want to pry into someone's body language pattern).
Beau Johnston
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read (and still have) Allan Pease's original book Body Language. It is a fantastic insight into understanding the people around you.

I highly recommend this book to martial artists and students of self defense classes, because Allan discusses topics your instructors allude to, but quickly pass over, because they don't have the time to cover this subject in depth.

Realistically, anyone who has to deal with people should read this book. From a self defense point of view, it's easier to avoid t
Bernadette
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
There were a few things I learned, but quite a bit of things I disagreed with. Examples are: turn your palms up to put someone at ease - I tried using this during my PT retail job and got wierd looks. Another example that truly disagree with is - if someone keeps you waiting - pull out some financial papers adn a calculator adn do calculations. When they call for you say say "I'll be ready in a moment - I'll just finish these calculations" - what???? or the other example for this is to take out ...more
Lazarus P Badpenny Esq
Unlikeable pair of pop-psychologists distill the complexity of human interaction down to a few sleazy sales-pitches.

Poorly written, and self-contradictory.

"Research also indicates that the 'Head Shake', usually meaning 'No', may also be an inborn action and evolutionary biologists believe that it's the first gesture humans learn."

So, is it 'hard-wired' or acquired?

Stick with the experts:

Poorly written, and self-contradictory.

So, is it 'hard-wired' or acquired?

Stick with the experts:
Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals (Penguin Classics) by Charles Darwin
Iz
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
An incredible pile of absolute garbage. Baseless, unscientific, sexist load of crap.
zainab_booklover
A very good book to read for those interested in body language. Too many examples and details are provided to help the reader understand everything.
Vikesh
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly insightful, and interestingly narrated, "The Definitive Book of Body Language" makes one conscious about the body language for others. Very useful book for salespeople.
Lydia Howe
How in the world do I even rate this book?

So, let me start off by saying that I very much recommend people read books about body language. And then let me follow that up by saying this is not the book I would recommend reading. But, I do think this book was really helpful and it was eye-opening and for the most part it was really interesting. I'm glad I read it and I learned a lot from it and I will most likely be re-reading it and studying it from time to time to learn more.

Along with all tha
Reinis Simanovskis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for getting an overview of how to improve your own & read others body language. Not only about making impressions of yourself on other, a lot more crucial takeaway here is about how you can create better turnouts for common goals. Did that meeting go bad because you disagree so much or because you had unknowingly assumed a competing body/sitting arrangement? Before telling my business partner about this example after having a few too intense meetings, I just switched up the seat ...more
Jennifer Worrell
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great companion to the Emotion Thesaurus.
Carrie Wilson
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a well-researched summary of proxemics, gender and cultural differences in non-verbal communication, facial expressions and much more! A few tidbits you'll learn from this book: female brains are designed for multi-tasking (which is explains why we can watch TV, read a book, and chat online while drinking coffee); smiling is seen as a subordinate action and women tend to smile much more than men, something likely hard-wired into our brains; organs that are transplanted retain cellul ...more
Strona po stronie
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it's the second time that I've started reading it. At first, I had stopped reading it after about 3/4 of it and now, because of the long break, I've started from the beginning. It's a really entertaining book, though, written with a great sense of humour. About methods that the authors present in it... People say that there are some mistakes, but I think that most of it is quite right and useful. Still, I'm not an expert. And the methods at the end, about job interviews, don't sound re ...more
Cynthia
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a very interesting and informative book. It's fascinating, and disconcerting, to read how many things we do unconsciously that are so denotative about our motives and thoughts.

Moreover, another intriguing concept is the fact that another person's actions, gestures or body language can engender a sense of benevolence, aversion or even hostility in us towards that individual, without us being able to comprehend why we feel that way.

The book is full of examples from
Rosemary
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this but I'm not sure how much of it I have retained and could put into practice. I'll keep it, dip in from time to time and perhaps I can learn to eliminate some of my negative body language.
Muhammad Arqum
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delivers what it claims and does it in an interesting, lighthearted and good humoured way.
Yazan Bakleh
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book , but in such subjects I prefer workshops ...
but still very helpful book
Janne Janssens
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book not only taught me a lot about how to read the body language and attitude of another person, but above all I became aware of the signals I give myself.
It is highly recommended for every type of character you are: whether you are a leader or really shy, this book teaches you how to communicate optimally non-verbally and to feel more self-confident.
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read this year, definitely better than the other books about body language I've read. It's really important for everybody to know more about this subtle form of communication and I would recommend it to anyone. You will find at least a dozen things you didn't know about before.
Suzie
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another informative, interesting and amusing read from the Pease's. Would definitely recommend! Well written, clear and very useful for everyday life.
Antonia Ivanova
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a good book, it doesn't lie to you. You cannot read body language by just analyzing individual gestures you saw depicted here. You have to trust your intuition, but this is a good blueprint for further analysis. Warning: makes you slightly obsessive and less attentive when people speak.
Carrie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I should’ve known when there weren’t footnotes that this wasn’t what I wanted. If you want to be a sleazy, sexist male salesman, this is the book for you. My arms are crossed, I’m giving a tight-lipped smile, my foot is pointing away from this book.
Nikko
Aug 20, 2017 added it
Shelves: body-language
lots of interesting facts and examples of body language
Mariagiulia
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
A poorly written, not that accurate, superficial and even slightly sexist body language manual that I struggled to finish. What stopped me from giving it only 1 star is that despite the many things I disagreed with, I found anyway a couple of useful pieces of advice. Overall not recommended.
لغتي 2 85 Jan 19, 2013 03:10AM

• What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
  • Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • 50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do: Insight and Inspiration from 50 Key Books
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The Psychology of Persuasion: How to Persuade Others to Your Way of Thinking
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
  • Unmasking the Face: A Guide to Recognizing Emotions from Facial Clues
  • I Can Read You Like A Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending With Their Body Language
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • Body Language For Dummies
Allan Pease is an Australian author and motivational speaker. Despite having no education in psychology, neuroscience, or psychiatry, he has managed to establish himself as an "expert on relationships".

Originally a musician, he became a successful life insurance salesman, he started a career as a speaker and trainer in sales and latterly in body language. This resulted in a popular sid
“Smoking is similar to hitting yourself over the head with
a hammer because, when you stop, you feel better”
33 likes
“whether we realize it or not, we automatically copy the facial expressions we see.” 3 likes