Start by marking “The Definitive Book of Body Language” as Want to Read:
The Definitive Book of Body Language

The Definitive Book of Body Language

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  22,562 ratings  ·  1,104 reviews
Available for the first time in the United States, this international bestseller reveals the secrets of nonverbal communication to give you confidence and control in any face-to-face encounter–from making a great first impression and acing a job interview to finding the right partner.

It is a scientific fact that people’s gestures give away their true intentions. Yet most o
Published July 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Definitive Book of Body Language, please sign up.
Dan Liggins I personally haven't read 'Body Language for Dummies' but I really would recommend this as a general read to learn a lot more about body language mann…moreI personally haven't read 'Body Language for Dummies' but I really would recommend this as a general read to learn a lot more about body language mannerisms & signals within a business sector & for sure as a public speaker. Analyzing yourself & audiences is displayed in such an easy way in this book.
You won't be disappointed. (less)

·  22,562 ratings  ·  1,104 reviews

Start your review of The Definitive Book of Body Language
Jan-Maat
I am fairly sure this was recommended on a management course. Entertaining read, well illustrated. Not sure how accurate it is, I tried out some of the ideas such as sitting side by side or at an angle to somebody rather than opposite across a desk at them. I certainly felt better for doing so but then the book told me that I would!

The downside for me is that I started to become absurdly self-conscious. Was I standing in an optimum way, sending out the best messages? Were my feet pointing in the
Amir Tesla
Since childhood, I've always fantasized having the superpower of mind reading and ever since being exposed to a diverse set of materials on body language I can assert that I've actually cultivated some skills in this vain :D :P.

This book by Allan Peace is the bible of the body language books and reference to many results you see when you google about this topic and covers a wide and thorough spectrum of topics.

Here are some exciting skills and insights you will acquire after consuming the book a
Maureen Forys
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Aside from there being misinformation scattered about, (Napoleon wasn't 5'4", George W Bush didn't get his first passport when he became president) the authors completely rely on logical fallacies to prove their points. They make huge sweeping generalizations (they said Britain, Germany, etc. have been world powers is because their populations often mirror body language...... What??? And also that heavy smokers haven't been breast-fed whereas non smokers have been) and completely lost their cred ...more
Raluca
3.5/5.

This book was very difficult to rate. On one hand, it's a pretty comprehensive guide of human gestures and postures, aided in their understanding by suggestive illustrations. On the other hand, I kept getting the feeling that the authors were trying really, really hard to sell me a commercial version of body language. Often, things were exaggeratedly emphasized in a clickbaity way and I would not have been surprised to see chapter titles such as: "You will not believe how your boss is domi
Ellen Maze
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Watchers
As an author, I am naturally a student of observation, so this book had the potential to be of great service to me not only in my writing, but in character-building and expression.

I enjoyed the read. Unlike some other Body Language books, this one has a lot of photographs, and at the risk of sounding sophomoric, they really added to my understanding of the text.

The chapters/categories made a lot of sense, and the information moved along with little unnecessary repetition. I think everyone who
Gabriela
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Allan Pease and Barbara Pease apply their experience in medicine, biology and psychology to illustrate the workings of the brain and how this influences our body language. In the Definite Book Of Body Language, the authors show us how we can use our knowledge of the brain's functions to understand people's emotions and behaviors.

I have to say that neuropsychology and behavioral science have always fascinated me. There are many books out there about these topics. But I found this one particularly
R Nair
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not saying that if the authors claim "water is wet", you need to ask for a second opinion.

Ok I lied, you need to ask for a second opinion.

There are parts that are genuinely riddled with sweeping statements and superfluous information, but to be fair, there are also parts that actually are interesting and are based on psychological studies done on human behaviour and the resulting body language. The problem lies in separating the proverbial wheat from the chaff. Since some claims are quest
Mary
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mary by: Mary Thorley and some blog?
I rarely read every word of non-fiction books, but this is one of the rare exceptions. It's not even particularly fascinating. But it is interesting enough to hold my attention without skipping or skimming over anything. ALMOST four stars. It wasn't awesome enough to go out and purchase, but it would be great to have around all the time for reference when the fancy strikes. I doubt I'll remember this stuff on my own as well as I'd like to.

I'm sure that for a few days at least, I'll be watching e
Iz
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
An incredible pile of absolute garbage. Baseless, unscientific, sexist load of crap.
Lazarus P Badpenny Esq
Unlikeable pair of pop-psychologists distill the complexity of human interaction down to a few sleazy sales-pitches.

Poorly written, and self-contradictory.

"Research also indicates that the 'Head Shake', usually meaning 'No', may also be an inborn action and evolutionary biologists believe that it's the first gesture humans learn."

So, is it 'hard-wired' or acquired?

Stick with the experts:
Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals (Penguin Classics) by Charles Darwin
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you read one book of allan pease on body language, then you've read'em all.
Its a book that contains all regular body positions and what can you learn from them. Worth a one time read (but can be used as a reference if you want to pry into someone's body language pattern).
Hirdesh
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Impressive Guide book !!
I like this Author because his research about the topic is logical and effective.

This books possess comprehensive explanation of various situations and Postures and Gestures.
Interestingly, It describes how to accommodate and have superb understanding while talking in Face to face or phone.

I got surprise while reading that the way of smoking Cigarate could show us the nature of person or for instance about his thinking.
Bernadette
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
There were a few things I learned, but quite a bit of things I disagreed with. Examples are: turn your palms up to put someone at ease - I tried using this during my PT retail job and got wierd looks. Another example that truly disagree with is - if someone keeps you waiting - pull out some financial papers adn a calculator adn do calculations. When they call for you say say "I'll be ready in a moment - I'll just finish these calculations" - what???? or the other example for this is to take out ...more
Beau Johnston
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read (and still have) Allan Pease's original book Body Language. It is a fantastic insight into understanding the people around you.

I highly recommend this book to martial artists and students of self defense classes, because Allan discusses topics your instructors allude to, but quickly pass over, because they don't have the time to cover this subject in depth.

Realistically, anyone who has to deal with people should read this book. From a self defense point of view, it's easier to avoid trou
zainab_booklover
A very good book to read for those interested in body language. Too many examples and details are provided to help the reader understand everything.
Lydia Howe
How in the world do I even rate this book?

So, let me start off by saying that I very much recommend people read books about body language. And then let me follow that up by saying this is not the book I would recommend reading. But, I do think this book was really helpful and it was eye-opening and for the most part it was really interesting. I'm glad I read it and I learned a lot from it and I will most likely be re-reading it and studying it from time to time to learn more.

Along with all tha
Vikesh
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly insightful, and interestingly narrated, "The Definitive Book of Body Language" makes one conscious about the body language for others. Very useful book for salespeople.
Reinis Simanovskis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for getting an overview of how to improve your own & read others body language. Not only about making impressions of yourself on other, a lot more crucial takeaway here is about how you can create better turnouts for common goals. Did that meeting go bad because you disagree so much or because you had unknowingly assumed a competing body/sitting arrangement? Before telling my business partner about this example after having a few too intense meetings, I just switched up the seating ...more
Abbie ‘britishbookreader’
Read this in one day and it’s definitely a book I’m going to re-read again and again.
Jennifer Worrell
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great companion to the Emotion Thesaurus.
Carrie Wilson
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a well-researched summary of proxemics, gender and cultural differences in non-verbal communication, facial expressions and much more! A few tidbits you'll learn from this book: female brains are designed for multi-tasking (which is explains why we can watch TV, read a book, and chat online while drinking coffee); smiling is seen as a subordinate action and women tend to smile much more than men, something likely hard-wired into our brains; organs that are transplanted retain cellul ...more
Strona po stronie
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, it's the second time that I've started reading it. At first, I had stopped reading it after about 3/4 of it and now, because of the long break, I've started from the beginning. It's a really entertaining book, though, written with a great sense of humour. About methods that the authors present in it... People say that there are some mistakes, but I think that most of it is quite right and useful. Still, I'm not an expert. And the methods at the end, about job interviews, don't sound re ...more
Cynthia
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a very interesting and informative book. It's fascinating, and disconcerting, to read how many things we do unconsciously that are so denotative about our motives and thoughts.

Moreover, another intriguing concept is the fact that another person's actions, gestures or body language can engender a sense of benevolence, aversion or even hostility in us towards that individual, without us being able to comprehend why we feel that way.

The book is full of examples from real-life pe
Janne Janssens
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book not only taught me a lot about how to read the body language and attitude of another person, but above all I became aware of the signals I give myself.
It is highly recommended for every type of character you are: whether you are a leader or really shy, this book teaches you how to communicate optimally non-verbally and to feel more self-confident.
Rosemary
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this but I'm not sure how much of it I have retained and could put into practice. I'll keep it, dip in from time to time and perhaps I can learn to eliminate some of my negative body language.
Carrie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I should’ve known when there weren’t footnotes that this wasn’t what I wanted. If you want to be a sleazy, sexist male salesman, this is the book for you. My arms are crossed, I’m giving a tight-lipped smile, my foot is pointing away from this book.
Yazan Bakleh
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book , but in such subjects I prefer workshops ...
but still very helpful book
Muhammad Arqum
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delivers what it claims and does it in an interesting, lighthearted and good humoured way.
Spacewalk
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
An essential read for everyone. This informative book opened my eyes to many body signals and cues that I would normally overlook. Some interesting facts that I learned from the book:

The people travelling on the Underground aren't unhappy; they're just masking their emotions.

The amount of Personal Space someone needs is relative to the population density where they live.

The farther away from the brain a body part is positioned, the less awareness we have of what it is doing.

Smoking is similar
Prince Naresh Nayak
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Best body language book, it starts with basics of body language such as best handshaking and worst one,
The magic of smile how powerful is it types of smiles, finding genuine one and fake one,
Arm signals
Common gestures
Hand and thumb gestures
Evaluation and deceit signals- decoding hand to face gestures
Eye signals
Space invaders- territories and personal space
How mind reveal what the mind wants to do
How the body points to where the minds wants to go
Sitting arrangement where to sit and why
T
لغتي 2 89 Jan 19, 2013 03:10AM

• What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • The Art of Seduction
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • علاقات خطرة
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
Allan Pease is an Australian author and motivational speaker. Despite having no education in psychology, neuroscience, or psychiatry, he has managed to establish himself as an "expert on relationships".

Originally a musician, he became a successful life insurance salesman, he started a career as a speaker and trainer in sales and latterly in body language. This resulted in a popular sideline of aud