Start by marking “The McKinsey Edge: Success Principles from the World's Most Powerful Consulting Firm” as Want to Read:

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A GREAT LEADER?

The ultimate guide to managing your career--at every level, through every transition--The McKinsey Edge culls the best practices of an exclusive group of executives and consultants from McKinsey & Company, the legendary consulting firm that services eighty percent of the world's largest corporations. Drawing on his time as an Engageme
Published November 24th 2015 by McGraw-Hill Education

To ask other readers questions about The McKinsey Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McKinsey Edge

Start your review of The McKinsey Edge: Success Principles from the World's Most Powerful Consulting Firm
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Some of these 47 tricks (and these ARE tricks) are really good:
- Don’t Show Half-Baked Output. Nay, baby. Never do that: they'll eat you whole.
- Question More and Talk Less
- Frontload Your Project - OMG, YES! I swear by it. Though I'd add 'frontthink it' to that.
- Focus on What Really Matters. Uh-huh. Taken under advisement that different people will think different stuff matters and trying to align everyone is fun.

Some are effective but irritating (always or just when misapplied):
- “What Woul
Lorilin
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, arc
In The McKinsey Edge, Shu Hattori aims to communicate the tips and tricks he has learned while working for the global management consulting firm, McKinsey & Company. Truthfully, I'm not completely sure I understand what McKinsey & Company does, but, as far as I can tell, the firm exists to help big companies become more efficient, productive, and profitable.

The book, overall, does contain insightful and helpful points. Some of my favorites:

(*) Have a 30-second answer to everything. If someone w
Darren
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
International consulting company McKinsey has a reputation for helping its clients know things and do things. This book sets out to share some of the principles of the firm that contribute to individual project success, culling best practices from the cream of McKinsey executives to offer up 47 actionable, powerful tips to help any business and employee.

It sounded a brave boast at first, yet once you read through the book you will discover that it delivers a lot of potential. Of course, the hard
Ryan
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of useful consultant tricks to appear smarter and more capable than otherwise. Many of these are obvious, some are outdated (his email management techniques are Boomer-tier), some make sense in organizations but shouldn't need to exist (keeping sensitive things off email), but there's a lot of utility in having it all in one place. It is helpful advice for anyone, but the book should also make consumers of consultancy services more skeptical of the actual insight/knowledge/competence of con ...more
Daniel Rayo
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think is a must to read book through your career in any organization, it explain what is the game you are playing now that you are in the work industries and some principles to help you play the game.

Some of the thinks you starting do it instinctively as you enter the corporate world, but the way he describes it and help you understand it gives the things you already do to make more sense and improve it.

I do not giving him 5 starts, because i think he lacks of adding details that would give yo
Andres Barreda
Feb 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book, written by a former ex McKinsey, gives useful bit-sized tips and principles for the consulting world. There are over 50 principles, so each one is very brief and general, nothing too specific.

Overall, they are functional principles and easy to put in practice. The book also gives you a glimpse of the methodology at McKinsey and their work culture.
Roy
This book offers a select mixture of advice and useful tips on productivity, interpersonal relationship, leadership, process management, and personal growth. The guiding principles underlying all the author's key points, however, aren't all that different from what have been widely discussed in a plethora of self-help/productivity books and other media. What this book adds to such literature is thus how they fit into the context of McKinsey's consulting work; in such a high-pressure, performance ...more
Daehwan Kim
Waited for long. I knew this book published and my eyes fixed on this book on the bookshelf at a bookstore. But, I did not purchase. delayed and delayed. One reason is that my current work became far from this type.

The temptation was strong. Irresistible to peek into the mind of so called "cream of pie".

I have a copy of Mc.K Engagement and Mc.K Mind. I revisited those book numerous times. They are dry but insightful and fundamental. When I feel my business got jumbled up and the urge of zerozin
Gareth Davies
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, career
An excellent look at how things are done at McKinsey including some context of the hierarchy and career path, how engagements/projects are carried out and lots of genuinely actionable advise on how to be organized and excel in this kind of environment.

Even if you are not thinking of joining management consulting or any similar professional services company I'd recommend reading this and applying whatever fits your context as it's a generally good guide on how to do well in a professional environ
Yoko
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The McKinsey Edge gives us the essence to move ourselves to the next level - How we can do better, how we can perform differently from others.
This 47 rules are very practical and actionable to apply our own situation and workplace, and bring the immediate results encouraging us to take an action today. Those could be quite obvious guidance, but we hardly get those from our managers and mentors. This is really helpful, a must book for our success in our career.
Shobeir
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To the point

This book is very well organized. It has many thought provoking nuggets that can help you see other ways of looking at problems and day to day job. While one may not agree with every inference and at time self-righteous tone may put one off a bit, the book is absolutely worth your time to read and to meditate on.
Jason L.
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that distills the best practices to succeed in the professional setting, especially in the consulting/professional services field. There are so many valuable advice in this book that will certain overflow in this review box.

So my only advice is this: pick up this book and read it gingerly, because you can pick up so many actionable insights from each of the 47 principles!
Bishal
Sep 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book is a classic example of having corporate handbook. While it details out perspectives from the McKinsey point of view but is it applicable for anyone who reads it. From behavioural change to the work approach changes, this book gives deep insights on what is done, could be altered and what is followed in the organisation which has produced CEOs for many organisations.
Andrew Wood
Sep 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Self Help Book for Business Professionals

This is not exactly a study in synthesis but a nice reflection on some key elements required to be a successful consultant and business leader. It could have been titled 47 steps to being a McKinsey consultant. An interesting read and you will need to do the prioritization of the key learnings yourself…
Angela O'Meara
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

Clarity, brevity, critical thinking enhancing. Many golden eggs to consider. Recommended reading for those in senior positions to those just venturing out of college or the military.
Kalyan Garimella
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Me coming from a consulting background, I wish I read this book a while back. Easy to understand principles followed by great examples from the consulting world, made this an easy read. Highly recommend this book to everyone who is about to start their management consulting journey
Olmo
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, interesting and most of the suggestions are enough landed to be able to implement them quite easily, not like other much more abstract documents. It's a matter for you to adapt them to your own style and take the ones that are more relevant to your situation, industry and position. ...more
Erik
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well expressed ideas written book with truly actionable principles. A must read, even if the principles are sometimes obvious, but the author took care of writing them down. This book and samples are very credible, since I work with McKinsey consultants and can testify they apply these principles
Jack Maguire
Aug 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A good overview of what makes for an excellent management consultant. Hattori does a good job of outlining the various aspects of working in a complex consulting environment and offers semi-practical tips for how to become very good in a challenging work environment.
Toni Kokkonen
Apr 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Surprised how interested I was in the book. Nice to read through someone else’s tenants in work success and reflect upon these. Not going to try to copy them but a good book of food for thought.

Basically 47 few pages long ideas that true author seems important in progressing one’s career.
Chase Lindsey
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first part of this book discussing self improvement was useful. Everything else seemed like common sense.
Charlie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some really sound principles at the beginning of the book, and practical tips. It also gives good insight into how McKinsey works as a company.
Tianhang Hu
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m reading Dalio’s Principles.. now compare those two... more like a 2.5/5
Saif
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got great ideas from book
Homer
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book

One of the best book for aspiring consultants. Hope to learn more in your wisdom. More on the step by step of a consultants.
Shobhit M
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book can be completed over a weekend. my top learning from the book is PRINCIPLE 40 - Minimal presentation tool-kit.
Shola Abdulkarim
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am still in awe as I learnt from this book. I am already applying some of the principles into my work.

In respect of your field of work, you need to give this book a read. It is worth it.
Jesilyn Barnes
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have re-ready it 3 times now.
Bethany Kok
I appreciated the generous use of real-world examples to illustrate the "principles," and the author's transparency and humility. ...more
Khun Min Aung
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great non-fiction self-help read. Useful for professionals in consulting, investment, business development and aspiring entrepreneurs.

• McKinsey Mind
  • The McKinsey Way
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • Bulletproof Problem Solving: The One Skill That Changes Everything
  • The McKinsey Engagement: A Powerful Toolkit for More Efficient and Effective Team Problem Solving
  • The Changing World Order: Why Nations Succeed and Fail
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing Yourself (with bonus article "How Will You Measure Your Life?")
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • The Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • The Belly of Paris
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • La Faute de l'abbé Mouret (Les Rougon-Macquart, #5)
  • Le Capitalisme patriarcal
  • Living Up to Death
  • L'Appel de Cthulhu

News & Interviews

“If you are going to complain, blame, or criticize, then do something about it... Feeling sorry for yourself, and your present condition, is not only a waste of energy but the worst habit you could possibly have.” 1 likes
“I don't know how to do it today, but I will know how to do it tomorrow and do it.” 0 likes