Start by marking “Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results” as Want to Read:

Is your leadership a competitive advantage, or is it costing you? How do you know? Are you developing your leadership effectiveness at the pace of change?

For most leaders today, complexity is outpacing their personal and collective development. Most leaders are "in over their heads," whether they know it or not. The most successful organizations over time are the best led.
Published November 30th 2015 by Wiley (first published November 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering Leadership

John E. Smith
THREE REASONS TO LIKE THIS BOOK:

1) Mastering Leadership builds on a solid and valid foundation of human development theory, which I learned in graduate school many years ago, use regularly in my work, but never thought to apply specifically to the area of leadership development.

2) The authors acknowledge and use an understanding of what they call the Inner Game (Inner Operating System) and the Outer Game (complex combination of values, beliefs, experiences, assumptions, and so on).

3) The authors
Jim Razinha
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
As with most of books of this type, the authors are selling a product, and they claim that theirs is better than the others - they used the word "breakthrough" more than few times along with "groundbreaking". That always trips my radar. But, they do cite many other leadership authors, but usually with a caveat that the author/theorist was missing something (that they figured out).

I'm in a yearlong management seminar program and we are assigned executive summaries of various books. If possible, I
Alexis
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but great end

The first 6-7 chapters could be condensed and less about selling his model. The last few chapters were most powerful and useful. I still had some very powerful takeaways so I am glad I stuck with it.
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results by Robert Anderson and William Adams was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top Business Books of 2016.

THE SOUNDVIEW OVERVIEW:

For most leaders today, complexity is outpacing their personal and collective development. Most leaders are in over their heads, whether they know it or not. The most successful organizations over time are the best led. While this has alway
Michael Spitzer
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book sets out to define leadership and the qualities that correlate with good leadership. It does not really offer pragmatic advice on how one can improve their leadership, but that’s not the point of the book. Implicitly it suggests that it is not a reasonable expectation to learn that from a book. I liked the focus on adult development and academic background, which added credibility to this book above other books in this genre that are mostly fluff. However, I also thought the book could ...more
Jenn "JR"
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book for a leadership class and have enjoyed it a lot. At it's heart, the book is a universal model of leadership based on stages of development of the ego. It's really enjoyable to read -- and even more useful if you take the online test, and even more useful if you have colleagues and coworkers who can also evaluate you.

The book draws on many influences -- lots of metaphysical stuff at the end -- and is very well organized with some good portraits of individual leader
Ron Vereggen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a leadership development approach for your organization, this books lays out a fairly comprehensive model. I took away a number of key insights that I will be using in my own development as mindful leader and in my practice in developing other leaders. Great book.
Richard Kalmeijer
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Important insights in people's reactive limiting and creative enabling drivers
Jaron Dunford
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-business
When we ask people to identify the extraordinary leaders they have worked for or with, most cannot identify more than one or two, suggesting we hold leaders, and are held as leaders to very high standards.

Given these violated expectations, we might wonder why anyone would want this job. Leaders carry enormous responsibility and operate in a world of increasing change, complexity, and connectivity. They are asked to work with more transparency and disclosure as they endure greater scrutiny. Despi
Dr. Byron Ernest
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Leadership is a conversation. How we show up to that conversation is what matters most. What we do as leaders drives our organization's collective effectiveness. This book is not just another leadership book like all the others on your book shelf. In Mastering Leadership we get a true guide to, not only mastering your own leadership development, but that of all those in your organization you serve. Through this book's teachings you will learn to have the courageous conversations, both with yours ...more
Kristine
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Some great leadership theory here! But having used the Leadership Circle Assessment at work, which is what he is trying to sell, i found the concepts were too complex because there were too many moving parts for leadership to buy in to it. It certainly started the conversation, but did not lead to change in leadership styles.
Andy Johnson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing

This book will likely change my understanding and approach to my own leadership development and that of those I'm privileged to walk with on the heroic leadership journey.
David Andrews
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! Not an easy read. And I'm so glad to have read it. Leadership as personal growth and development AND Leadership as spiritual practice! Wow! Brilliant, theoretical and practical.
JP Morgan
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book on Leadership I've ever read. Impressive research validating their phenomenal model. Extremely well explained. Lucid, liberating and inspiring. Will be re-reading this one.
Renee Rogers
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best book on leadership of this decade!
Ragnar
Oct 31, 2017
Dan
Jun 17, 2017
Jared
rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2019
Aug 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Everything You Need to Know about Social Media: Without Having to Call A Kid
  • Meetings Suck
  • The Science of Selling: Proven Strategies to Make Your Pitch, Influence Decisions, and Close the Deal
  • The Narrow Road: A Brief Guide to the Getting of Money
  • Ten Types of Innovation: The Discipline of Building Breakthroughs
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making More Magic Real
  • Your Kids Are Your Own Fault: A Guide for Raising Responsible, Productive Adults
  • The CEO Next Door: The 4 Behaviours that Transform Ordinary People into World Class Leaders
  • StandOut 2.0: Assess Your Strengths, Find Your Edge, Win at Work
  • The Iranians: Persia, Islam and the Soul of a Nation
  • Never Stop Learning: Stay Relevant, Reinvent Yourself, and Thrive
  • Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World
  • Bienville's Dilemma: A Historical Geography of New Orleans
  • The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, Revised Edition: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
  • The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business
  • Making Stuff and Doing Things: A Collection of DIY Guides to Just About Everything
  • Mindful Work: How Meditation Is Changing Business from the Inside Out
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
Robert J. Anderson is the Founder and Chairman of The Leadership Circle and the Full Circle Group. Over the past 35 years, Bob has dedicated his career to exploring the intersections between leadership and mastery, competence and consciousness, spirituality and business.

Bob is the creator of The Leadership Circle Profile, an integrated and innovative leadership assessment tool. A culmination of y
“Leadership’s primary job is to enhance creative capacity by developing collectively effective leadership.” 1 likes
“When we step into positions of leadership, we make a whole set of promises we may not know we are making.” 1 likes