Start by marking “Suicide Forest” as Want to Read:
Suicide Forest

Suicide Forest

(World's Scariest Places #1)

From USA Today and #1 Amazon bestselling author Jeremy Bates comes a tale of mystery and horror set in Japan's ancient Suicide Forest, a place that is easy to enter but, for some, impossible to leave. Goodreads Choice Awards finalist for horror. For fans of Stephen King.

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in J
Published February 23rd 2015 by Ghillinnein Books (first published December 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Forest, please sign up.
Shritama Sengupta No, they are two different stories based on the same background. Besides, the Movie is a horror genre whereas the novel has more of a thriller and…moreNo, they are two different stories based on the same background. Besides, the Movie is a horror genre whereas the novel has more of a thriller and suspense concept.(less)
Pamela Miller It does talk a little about the legends of the forest itself and yes there are some talk of the culture. I cannot comment if it is accurate.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

--->EXCERPT<---

SUICIDE forest is real. the Japanese call it Aokigahara Jukai, which means "Sea of Trees." Each year local authorities remove from it more than one hundred bodies, most found hanging from tree branches and in various states of decay. Abandoned tents, moldy sleeping bags, dirty daypacks, and miles of ribbon litter the forest floor. It is said the area is haunted by the ghosts of the suicides, and local often report hearing unexplained screams during the night. Signs warn visi
Faye, la Patata
Nov 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
The only "horror" thing about this was how HORRIBLE it was.
RedemptionDenied
Update: 31/01/18. The Kindle edition is currently gratis in the UK, US and Canada. Hmm. It's got mixed reviews.
jv poore
Not exactly about Aokigahara, setting this suspense-filled, fictional fright inside of Japan's "Suicide Forest" upped the creepy factor considerably. Like sharing ghost-stories in a cemetery. At midnight.

This copy is going to my favorite HS classroom library and I cannot wait to see what "my" students think.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Suicide Forest
Author – Jeremy Bates
Publication Date – December 14, 2014
Genre – Horror/Suspense
Type – Stand Alone
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by author for Blog Tour in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
I have to share with you that this book had the most interesting twist that totally caught me off guard.  I was reading this and having flashbacks of Blair Witch Project.

This book was unique with not only the setting and
Jay
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 23%

Spoilers ahead!

Suicide Forest kept popping up on my recommendations, so I decided to give it a go. It seemed like your standard ghost story - a famously haunted location featuring a group of dumb fucks friends hungry for adventure who each fit into a particular horror stereotype (the jock, the virgin, the comedian, the know-it-all, the insignificant one who dies first... etc).

The Good: --> the writing
The writing was actually pretty decent and the description of the forest gave me th
Leah Bayer
If there is a horror book that somehow involves a forest, I will read it. It's because I'm chasing the high of The Ritual, which is just... horror perfection (well, the first half anyway, we pretend the second section doesn't exist). I mean, that book made me scared of trees. So I keep hoping for a similar wood-themed horror, and end up reading terrible books like this. Sigh.

This is... well, I don't think it's really a horror at all. Literally nothing happens for the first 50%. A bunch of people
Jillian Giusti
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story . To be clear it has nothing to do with the new movie out. When it starts out you think you know where it's headed then it takes a U turn . It was interesting and kept me engaged so I do recommend this to people who love horror. I have the other two I. This series as well and I can't wait to read them .
Dani Jade
Mar 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Update, 4th Dec 2017: I had a quick look through some of my old reviews/ratings and saw this one, and you know what? I'm changing my rating to one star. It is a 1.5 star read at best (for me).

Original review, written 27th March 2017:
This book had a creepy, interesting sounding premise and a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it was long winded, drawn-out and just rather dull, honestly.

So: This book is about an American guy, Ethan, who lives in Japan. One weekend, he, his girlfriend and 3 of the
Quirkyreader
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happened in this story was completely unexpected. This is one of those stories that sticks with you a while and gives you the creeps.
Shaina
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am obsessed with this subject. This forest. If anyone hears of anymore books, etc., let me know. Please. I heard about this and then I saw this book and read it and his other available works about the scariest places. I love scary places. These are places I want to visit. (Not in a stupid, oh my gosh it’s dark, I’m going to run into the forest by myself with no provisions or gps etc., and so on kind- of -way)
I just find the mysticism around these places interesting. The urban myths vs facts.
Marvin
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's talk about death.

Death is always a touchy subject. Well, not just death, which is often a benign abstract thing that we tend to voice in impersonal and hypothetical tones. But dying. That’s a tough one. Not the dying you do when you are old and gray and ready to go. The type of dying that comes to you, a friend or a loved one suddenly, uninvited, and usually rudely. The ones you want to avoid but can’t. Accidents. Murder. Suicide….

Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates is about that type of dying
Latasha
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast paced. Good & intense. The story is well written & I had no dislikes with it or the characters. I would read more from this author.
Rebecca McNutt
Suicide Forest was an okay book I guess, but I think that the whole "haunted forest paranormal activity" thing is in really bad taste. It's been done before, in fact a fictional film will soon be coming out this year that uses the forest as a setting. However, this forest doesn't seem scary to me. Rather than trying to put a stop to the suicides in reality, the forest has unintentionally become a tourist attraction for people who see it as some kind of step into a paranormal research mission. Sa ...more
chucklesthescot
I didn't like anything about this book. Firstly the plot was so slow that nothing seemed likely to ever happen. It was a bunch of people wandering around a forest and waiting for something to happen. To amuse themselves on this exciting adventure, they fight, swear and plan sexual encounters. Nothing new or original there.

The characters are uninspiring, obnoxious clowns. The young Japanese characters sound like wannabe gangsta rappers with their language. We got n***** this, n***** that and ther
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: December 14, 2014
Genre: Horror
Actual Rating: 3 stars

In my quest to read a ton of scary books for Halloween, I stumbled upon this one. Suicide Forest or Aokigahara is a real forest in Japan. It's a dreary place where people go to end their lives in peace. It's all very tragic but unfortunately true. Anyway, when I stumbled upon this one with it's creepy cover and then saw it was a part of kindle unlimited I knew I needed to give it a try. For the most part, it's a good book. T
Quentin Wallace
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty tense horror novel about a very scary real life place. I remember seeing a documentary that discussed the Suicide Forest in Japan, and it was downright chilling. This novel takes that real life eeriness and adds in some pretty cool thrills and chills.

Basically a group of hikers gets lost and then..well, you know what happens next. (view spoiler)

This is a very bleak
John
Meh...

The I more thought the more I idea to drop my rating to 3.
Amber
Ethan, Mel, Neil, Tomo, and John Scott's hike to Mt Fuji is cancelled by rain. When they meet an Israeli couple named Ben and Nina who decide to travel to Aokigahara Jukai a.k.a. Suicide Forest, The friends follow them to see if the place is really haunted. Can they survive their trip into the Suicide forest? Read on and find out.

This was a pretty good and horrifying read. Fans of horror will enjoy this story. I recommend this to anyone that likes horror stories and tales of the supernatural. I
Sue Moro
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
When I heard the synopsis of this book I knew I had to read it. The story takes place in Aokigahara Jukai, also known as the Suicide Forest or Sea of Trees, located at the foot of Mount Fuji. Aokigahara is known as the location with the second highest suicide rate just behind the Golden Gate Bridge. Something about the forest draws people within its depths to end their lives most often via hanging. It is believed to be haunted.

The story is told through the eyes of Ethan, an American currently t
Rachel
More like a 2.5 read for me.
Marie
The book is about some friends that go exploring a haunted forest that is deemed as being legendary for committed suicides in Japan. For me there is no connection to the characters and the storyline is very slow. I have not been able to feel the "scary atmosphere" that I was hoping to gain from the book and I am having a hard time getting into the story, so unforuantely this book is going to go on my "dnf" shelf as I am not going to read something that I feel is a waste of my time. One star for ...more
Melissa Chung
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was a nice creepy Halloween read. I've never read Jeremy Bates and I can definitely say his writing is pretty addictive. Just the right amount of suspense and action. There were a few grammatical errors/spelling errors, but not much. Overall I'm giving it 4 stars.

Suicide Forest is about a group of friends: 3 ESL teachers named Ethan, his girlfriend Melissa "Mel" and Neil. There's also Tomo a friend of Ethans and John Scott a friend of Mel's. They are heading to Mount Fuji for a hike. The wh
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Aokigahara -4.5 stars...

I absolutely love books with unique settings so when I came across this series I was completely psyched! This first book is set in Aokigahara and it's about a group of ESL teachers living in Japan that want to climb Mt. Fugi before they leave. On the day of their trip though, the weather takes a turn for the worse and their climb gets delayed. So in order to kill time, they decide it would be fun to camp for a night in Aokigahara, then hopefully climb Mt. Fugi the next d
K
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
This book is as formulaic as it gets: a group of people decide to camp in a scary place. Bad things happen. People die. Blah blah blah. Yet I enjoyed reading it...until about the last 80 pages. Then it went downhill, and fast! When I finished I decided it was the worst horror story I've read in a very long time. I'm so glad it was free and I'm so sorry I wasted time reading it.
Stephen Clynes
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you go out into the woods today. You’re sure of a big surprise. But this is no picnic time for teddy bears. A group of 7 people enter Aokigahara Jukai, which is near Mt. Fuji in Japan. The Japanese call it the “Sea of Trees” but others refer to it as the Suicide Forest. They are taken there by a guy called Honda who said “According to our myths, it was once the site of ubasute. Families would abandon their young or elderly there during periods of famine, so there would be less mouths to feed. ...more
Glen
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A good horror story set in a real place. The Suicide Forest is a real place. Weirdness and horror surrounds it. There are hundreds of suicides there every year, and many claim that the forest draws them there to die.

A group of people plan to climb Mt. Fuji, when inclement weather prevents it. They decide to camp in the Suicide Forest. Bad choice. It all starts out pretty innocently. They meet up with some other would be campers, and decide to try to find dead bodies. Another bad choice...

Pretty
William Cook
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting and that hasn't happened for a while. I got a really strong flavor of life in Tokyo et al Japan after reading this - the perspective of the TESL teacher was wholly believable to me (having done that myself in S Korea) and the characters were all well-written and interesting. I loved the way Bates ratchets the tension up with every page turned - as we go deeper into the ominous and foreboding forest, the character's stress and experiences become our own. This is a ...more
 (shan) Littlebookcove
I knew I hadn't done a review of this!

As you can tell I wanted too! As I’ve just seen Jeremy Bates has released his Newest edtion to His “World's Scariest Places Occult & Supernatural Crime Series” “The Catacombs!” What really gripped me about this book was this History of were it was based. I absolutely love the “Aokigahara” Aka to us the suicide forest. All of Jeremy's book's are based on Real life places of mystery. And I honest can't wait to get my nails in to the 2nd book to this. Pl
Vicki Willis
Wow! This book preyed on all my real life fears about camping! I was terrified the whole way through. The ending was good, but having everything explained sort of took the tension away so that the forest is now not that scary anymore. The unknown part is always scarier than the known. I would definitely recommend this book to others. A solid 4 stars!
Horror Aficionados : November Group Read #2: Suicide Forest 40 160 Dec 01, 2017 03:46PM
  • The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
  • A Haunting
  • Human No Longer
  • The Scarecrow (Solom #1)
  • Floating Staircase
  • The Whispering: A haunted house mystery
  • The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • Doorbells at Dusk: Halloween Stories
  • A Haunting in Crown Point (Spookshow 6)
  • Certain Dark Things
  • Gated
  • Sing Me To Sleep
  • The Housemates (Damienverse, #4)
  • Haunted (A Bridgeton Park Cemetery Book)
  • The Bank of the River (The River #1)
  • Nyctophobia
  • National Geographic Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Places: Close Encounters, Haunted Houses, and Other Spooky Hot Spots Around the World
  • Taken
USA Today bestselling author Jeremy Bates has written more than a dozen novels and novellas, which have been translated into several languages and downloaded more than one million times. Midwest Book Review compares his work to “Stephen King, Joe Lansdale, and other masters of the art.” He has won both an Australian Shadows Award and a Canadian Arthur Ellis Award. He was also a finalist in the Goo ...more

World's Scariest Places (5 books)
  • The Catacombs (World's Scariest Places #2)
  • Helltown (World's Scariest Places #3)
  • Island of the Dolls (World's Scariest Places #4)
  • Mountain of the Dead
“Millions of people believe in a god. That doesn’t mean one exists.” 0 likes
“Survival 101: if you get lost, remain at ground zero until rescuers find you. Statistically, the heroes who wander off to search for help are more likely to get caught out by the climate or geography and die from exposure.” 0 likes