Start by marking “Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want” as Want to Read:
Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want

Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want

Each of us has but one life to live on this earth. What we do with it is our choice. Are we drifting through it as spectators, reacting to our circumstances when necessary and wondering just how we got to this point anyway? Or are we directing it, maximizing the joy and potential of every day, living with a purpose or mission in mind?

Too many of us are doing the former--an
Published March 1st 2016 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Living Forward, please sign up.
Michael Hyatt Yes, we try to be honest about our worldview, but we also try not to impose it on others. That's why we were able to secure endorsements from people w…moreYes, we try to be honest about our worldview, but we also try not to impose it on others. That's why we were able to secure endorsements from people who aren't Christians.(less)
Michael Hyatt Thanks for your question.

Thanks for your question.

Planning is the opposite of drifting. If you have created a life plan, you will no longer be drifting. You are intentionally choosing your destinations in each of your life accounts.

You won't get all your destinations right in the first pass. But, by having a life plan, you can course-correct. If you aren't fulfilled, you can adjust or tweak until you begin achieving the fulfillment you desire.

Here's one thing I know for sure: you will never drift to a fulfilled life. It's like trying to win the lottery. It's much better to choose your destination and adjust as necessary.(less)

Start your review of Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want
Kary
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Design your own “Regret Free” life

Living Forward starts out by addressing THE DRIFT.

The DRIFT is the tendency to arrive at destinations you don’t consciously choose. The DRIFT is facing life in a reactive way and happens when you’re:

1.) Unaware
2.) Distracted
3.) Overwhelmed
4.) Deceived

No one wakes up and says, “Today I want to DRIFT.” However, if you’re not living a life according to design, then you’re living a life according to DRIFT.

So how do you change direction and snap out of the DRIFT? M
W. Whalin
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Start Living on Purpose – Get This Book

Much of life seems to be haphazard instead of intentional. In LIVING FORWARD, Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy give you the tools for on purpose living. Do you have a vision for where you want to take your life? Most people do not.

As they write in the introduction, “We want to provide the clarity you need to articulate a vision for your life—your whole life—and develop a plan for getting to a better destination. It’s all about being fully awake to the real
Conor Cusack
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To say that reviewing Living Forward for Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy is both an honor and privilege is an understatement. Testimonials from international experts across the leadership, finance, personal development, and communications sectors leave little doubt that Living Forward is a powerful, challenging, and rewarding read.

Living Forward encourages readers to conduct a no-holds barred, uninterrupted examination of their lives and develop a consequent plan comprised of current personal a
Philomathory
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of this book for review, but I loved it so much, I bought 10 copies to pass along to friends and family. My opinions are my own.

Living Forward is all about a concept called life planning and making sure you're intentional about your choices in life. It really hit home for me when they mentioned how we plan our vacations, yet most of us don't have a plan for our lives. So true. The book covers the why, the benefits and the how of life planning. They suggest taking a fu
Sundi
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's not very often books start out asking you to plan your own funeral, but this isn't your average book. It will open your eyes to the lack of planning in your life. Open your eyes to the reality of just how much you may be letting life control you versus you controlling life. You can't walk away from this book and still have an excuse for not living the life you want to live.

This book will change families, marriages, companies, churches, and more. It will provide you with a clear path to red
Janice Garey
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review Title: Prepare4Abundant Life Plan (review of Living Forward by Michael Hyatt & Daniel Harkavy)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This book takes the reader on a serious journey of reviewing what is important in the reader's life. Although it is a quick read, the depth of the planning exercises require a full day dedicated to their completion for optimal results in putting together a Life Plan.

I compare this book to hitting the reset button on a stopwatch that's been following the reade
Paul Gustavson
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading the brand new book “Living Forward” by Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy (#LivingForward). The book is focused on providing you a tried and true mechanism to create and establish a personal game plan for any and all areas of your life. They call it a “Life Plan.” This book is a resource that every leader ought to read and take to heart for three reasons.

(1) It will help you be a more effective leader.

Leadership starts with you. It’s hard to lead others unless you are lead
Karen
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How many people drift through their lives without a clear picture of where they want to go and what they want to achieve? Most of us spend more time planning a vacation than we spend planning our actual lives. I've read a lot of books in the self-help and personal growth arenas, but this is the first I've seen that provides a step-by-step guide for writing a detailed life plan. I found it to be extremely inspiring! The book itself is a quick read, with short chapters and lots of relatable anecdo ...more
Randy Elrod
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Living Forward, Hyatt and Harkavy provide a clear and concise guide and a practical template to create a tangible plan for a meaningful life. This book is for anyone who feels there is more to life than simply drifting with the current. The goal-oriented person, especially, will gain invaluable tools to create attainable and worthy objectives.

For me, the two greatest benefits gained from Living Forward are the practical guide to setting up your own life plan and the ability to customize it ac
Coreen Tossona
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Living Forward is one of the best books I've read on improving your life. The authors do a very good job of making readers feel comfortable. They use many personal examples of how they've applied the principles to their own lives, so you get a sense that they're sharing this information to truly help people. One of the quotes that struck me was: "Most people spend more time planning a one-week vacation than identifying what outcomes they want to see in major areas of their lives." So true.
Micha
Emma Sea
Returned for refund. So much waffle and filler. The book doesn't offer a plan. It offers 50% of why a life plan is so important and 45% pep talk on how YOU CAN DO IT! you can implement your plan!

Target market: upper middle class Christians who can afford to "take a vacation day" and go to an "inexpensive oceanside retreat centre" to work on their life plan.

The gender essentialism was annoying (e.g. "Then there's your family. You want to spend time with your spouse and she wants time with you.")
Alex Stophel
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me clarify and prioritize the important aspects of my life in two short and enjoyable hours. I'm certain I'll use the concepts I learned in this book to create and maintain a plan for my life going forward. Highly recommended. ...more
Mitch Miles
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Are You Dwelling On Your Past or Being Intentional About Your Future? Do you have a purpose that drives you toward a meaningful future? Or do you feel like you’re just drifting along wondering when things will change? Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy in Living Forward provide a step-by-step guide for designing what they refer to as a “Life Plan”. A "Life Plan" is your personal design for life and how you want to be remembered. The book provides practical resources and tools throughout that assis ...more
Shelly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really thought I had this goal setting thing mastered. I've taken a few classes and really felt like I knew what I was doing with goal setting and planning for the future but then I read this book!

It doesn't just talk about setting goals, it's about planning your life to leave the legacy you want to leave not the legacy that just happens. It has inspired me to work at the most important things every day. It's given me the clarity to how I can pursue and make time for those important things.

T
Charles Johnston
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Living Forward is more than just another book by great authors, it is a toolbox to use to evaluate your life. It is an easy read, almost conversation style where Michael and Daniel share their own successes and failures and how they managed them. If the reader uses the tools inside the book they will be on the path to creating a new and more fulfilling life. Each chapter had practical steps and real action to take to be able to alter your course and avoid the drift.
Andy
Shelves: own, kindle
A ton of the other reviews have detailed what is in this book, so I won't repeat that information again. Other self help books are often applicable to only certain people in certain stages of their lives, but this book is applicable to almost anyone. Having a plan on how to get from where you are now, to a position of how you would like people to remember you at your funeral. A somber thought and a wake up call but a highly powerful and motivating call to make the most of your life. Giving pract ...more
Nancy Cullen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, I did not immediately jump on it as I have been engaged in 5-year planning, annual goal setting and other great visionary guidance on living intentionally for 30+ years. I am a believer in this concept and have seen wonderful results in my life. What more could there be except to continue with what I was doing? However, when I was allowed to read an advance copy of the book, I was excited. Wow. This is a whole new level of what I had been doing - sleek and str ...more
Matt Lyles
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most people will spend more time planning a week's vacation than they do actually planning their own life. Before today, I was one of those people. My wife and I are intentional about our budget, our savings, our children's schoolwork. We didn't realize that we weren't giving the same approach to our actual lives. It turns out we've been unintentionally "drifting." A solid life plan teaches us to get out of the drift and intentionally find and manage our purpose in our career, our marriage, our ...more
Emilie Haney
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Living Forward is a necessary book for anyone interested in taking control over the trajectory of their future in both the personal and professional spheres!

I wasn't sure what to expect when I received Living Forward in the mail. I just knew that I had been following Michael Hyatt's blog for a little over a year and that he had formerly been the CEO of Thomas Nelson. I was more than pleasantly surprised.

Michael and Daniel have come together to create an in-depth solution to something that plague
Lisa Barnett
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Living Forward is an amazing and easy to follow book! It points out that we can not just let life happen to us... aka, drifting, but it doesn't stop there, it gives us a real life plan to help us stop the drift and move into intentionality and purpose. Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy are both living examples as well as great leaders with expertise in what they share in their book. There are so many great nuggets and tools from the book, you will have to get your copy to enjoy the truth as it en ...more
Matt Perkins
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that has caused me to do some major evaluations in my life. How do I want to be remembered, by who and for what? My wife passed away this past year from cancer and it has caused me to look at how I can be intentional with my life and moving forward. Thanks to Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy for laying out a great method to stop drifting and be intentional. If you're at a crossroad in life, I highly recommend you get this book! ...more
Amanda McDowell
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Living Forward will help you identify the most important areas of your life, the goals you have for those areas, and how to get there. This is a must read for anyone ready to stop drifting and start living life with purpose. You'll learn not only the why, but also find HOW to plan to get the life you want.
Anita Ojeda
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No one likes to think about their funeral, but authors Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy ask the reader to do just that. By thinking about how one wants one's life to end, one gains a better picture of whether or not he or she is on the right track.

It's not often that authors come up with a tool to help the reader assess thier 'life accounts' (kind of like an audit of attitudes and how one spends time). The assessment tool is free and can be found on the book website. Of course, like any self-he
Lauren Bach
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book, Living Forward – A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want, describes exactly what the pages hold. Living Forward is a concise guide for examining your existence, defining exactly what is wanted, before drawing up a blueprint for higher life satisfaction.

I’ve done goal setting and annual reviews in the past, but what set Hyatt & Harkavy’s method above others is the way they demonstrate the interconnections between life areas. They provide a straightforward
Stan Stinson
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recalculating

How’s your life going? Do you ever have the feeling you are just going through the motions, getting up today, going to work, coming home, eating supper, watching TV, going to bed, and then tomorrow, getting up and doing it all over again. Do you think your life needs a change, some direction? Does your life need a GPS to help you get to where you are going? Do you even know where you are going?

In Living Forward by Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy you will learn how to “recalculate”
Ray Edwards
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even if you’re not “the kind of person” who does things like “life planning”… you should design a Life Plan, and this book will help you do it.

But why bother with a Life Plan at all?

There are many benefits to having a Life Plan. In Living Forward, the authors share six reasons.

These are the three that I found most important. A properly written Life Plan…

Clarifies your priorities. I don’t know if you’ve ever had this experience. Many decisions are easy to get right… if we know our priorities in a
Mark Thomas
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Thank you Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy for teaching me about the drift in my life and how to develop my life plan. Buy this for yourself, your family and your friends. I did all three.
Bilal Sununu
Shelves: business
This is one of the books that you need to continuously refer to and is suitable for all type of readers: business, personal improvement, home, ...
I will be gifting the books to all that I care for.
Keri Kent
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Living Forward is about leadership development, really. Specifically, self-leadership, an area that is easy to ignore--but that everyone needs. The good news is, Living Forward gives a step-by-step plan to build the life you want.
This book, subtitled "A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want," provided clarity on a number of issues for me. I saw how I have been drifting recently, which happens, as the book states, when we are unaware, distracted, overwhelmed, or deceived (i.e. be
Sif Traustadóttir
Readers should be aware that the book frequently mentions god and religion (specifically christianity). This may seem perfectly normal to american readers, but europeans and non religious people may find it annoying.

It´s not a very long book, so you will read it quickly, that can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. I bought the book during the launch phase and was happy to receive the bonus material, but I would not pay for them extra and in my opinion the book was a bit price

• Let's Talk: ...About Making Your Life Exciting, Easier, And Exceptional
  • Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intimacy
  • Master Your Emotions: A Practical Guide to Overcome Negativity and Better Manage Your Feelings
  • Grace: More Than We Deserve, Greater Than We Imagine
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • The Procrastination Cure: 21 Proven Tactics For Conquering Your Inner Procrastinator, Mastering Your Time, And Boosting Your Productivity!
  • Unlearn: Let Go of Past Success to Achieve Extraordinary Results
  • A Handbook for New Stoics: How to Thrive in a World Out of Your Control—52 Week-by-Week Lessons
  • The Serendipity Mindset: The Art and Science of Creating Good Luck
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
  • Rare Breed: A Guide to Success for the Defiant, Dangerous, and Different
  • Time Smart: How to Reclaim Your Time and Live a Happier Life
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Eat Sleep Work Repeat: 30 Hacks for Bringing Joy to Your Job
  • The 7 Perspectives of Effective Leaders: A Proven Framework for Improving Decisions and Increasing Your Influence
  • Saving Face: How to Preserve Dignity and Build Trust
  • Neurodharma: New Science, Ancient Wisdom, and Seven Practices of the Highest Happiness