Start by marking “Surf's Up” as Want to Read:
Surf's Up

Surf's Up

Surf's up! Not yet, Dude! Books are boring! Not this one! Bro and Dude have very different ideas about how to spend the day at the beach. But as Bro continues to gasp and cheer as he reads his book (Moby Dick), Dude can't help but get curious. Before you can shout 'Surf's up!' both frogs are sharing the same adventure, that is, until they get to the beach. Newbery Medal Wi ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about Surf's Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surf's Up

Calista
Great book. This is a book for book lovers. Have you have been trying to finish a book and a friend comes over wanting to do something. You tell them you have to finish your book and they tell you reading is boring. This is that story. The end, the guy wants to read the book

It's is simple and fun and the illustrations are totally tubular. A quick read.

The kids had fun with this story. We had a round of bro and dude calling that got us all giggling.
Dan
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Like catching the perfect wave on a hot summer day, there's truly nothing better than getting lost in a great book.
Tasha
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Dude comes to the window to let Bro know “Surf’s up!” But Bro is busy reading his book. Dude is shocked that Bro would prefer reading to heading to the beach. Bro comes along, still reading his book as they walk along. As they walk, he tells Dude about Moby Dick’s story and then reacts with gasps and amazement as the story continues. Bro finishes the book as they reach the beach and suddenly it is Dude who wants to read more than he wants to surf.

Told in a merry back and forth between the two fr
The Library Lady
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Long ago, I dealt with a sweet, misguided parent who wanted an abridged version of Moby-Dick; or, The Whale for her two year old. We settled for some nice picture books about whales.
And don't get me started on those asshat "BabyLit" board books, except perhaps to say that there are a lot of parents out there currently who are silly enough to buy such stuff. They would be better off buying some nice parenting books to teach them how to say "no" to their little darlings. But see? You got me start
Corinne
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture-book
I loved the concept of this book, (a frog is so into his book that he has to finish it, and gets his friend interested, too.). This story line could have been clearer. The illustrations were bright and colorful and very much mirrored water and motion. The story appears to pull from Moby Dick-which is one of the driest, least exciting and technical books I've ever read. It did not represent the story line well.
Crystal
I found this to be very energetic and fun. One friend is trying to finish up a book and the other is eager to get to the beach. It's a book that celebrates the joy and excitement of reading.
Jillian Heise
A fun book about the joy of getting lost in a book, told in an unexpected way through two grog friends. Love the joy and fun in Daniel Miyares' illustrations!
Margie
A solemn promise has to be made first. When shopping with certain friends this is a requirement. A pledge has to be taken to not stop in any book shops. When you've been known to spend hours wandering around the shelves, especially in the children's and young adult areas, people tend to err on the side of caution.

In a conversation this past week I even remarked given a choice I would rather be reading. Surf's Up (North South Books, Inc., February 1, 2016) a brand new book by Newbery Medalist Kw
Sarah Johnson
Two frogs on their way to surf at the beach are having a discussion about the merits of reading. One of the frogs is engrossed in Moby Dick and can't put it down until he finishes the book. His enthusiastic responses to the action in the story intrigue his friend, who must find out the ending of the story, which can only be accomplished by reading the book for himself. What I really like about this book about reading are the illustrations. Surfer dude accent is a must for sharing this book with ...more
Linda
Dude and Bro are headed to the beach, but Bro continues to settle in to read his book. He can't pull himself away from Moby Dick. Dude thinks books are boring, and cannot understand the delay. It's a celebration of reading and the illustrations show some of the excitement of Moby Dick while the spare text keeps the argument going. You'll like how it all turns out, and they do get to the beach, too!
Virginia
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SURF'S UP is told completely in fun, modern dialogue between "Dude" and "Bro"--two frog friends whose plans to go to the beach are interrupted when Bro can't put down his book. Kwame Alexander's spare text captures the excitement of reading a great book and is paired perfectly with Daniel Miyares' colorful illustrations. The story and art are a lot of fun, and will appeal to children who often find themselves lost in the adventure of reading.
AMY
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Gr. K-2
Cute illustrations but this book is kind of just ok. Bro and Dude are two frogs who enjoy different activities. Bro loves to read and Dude loves to visit the beach and surf. There is a fantasy scene that is fun but otherwise the book is not too exciting. I would skip this one. Reading level is K-2.
Aliza Werner
Two surfing frogs will head to the beach...as soon as one finishes his book! The book-loving frog shows his friend that books are not boring, they are full of adventure. Although frogs are two different colors, will kids keep track of the character changes (non-reader to reader) toward the end?
Earl
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This would make for a great summer read. Two friends have two very different ideas of how to spend a day. One wants to surf while the other wants to keep reading his book. Great for parents, educators and librarians to showcase how amazing of an adventure reading can be!
Lydia
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Daddy read this book in a surfer voice and Lydia cracked up. She loved it!!!!
Jocelin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I thought this was a cute book about the power of reading. The surfing lingo was a little grating but, the story was cute.
Amanda  Schreiber
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great back to school read that highlights the power of book talks & losing yourself in a good book! Dude, every student needs to read this delightful story!
Pablo V
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Janis Hill
I would like to thank North South Books Inc. for an arc of this book in exchange for an open and honest review.

Two of my kids (the ten year old and the six year old) helped me review ‘Sur’s Up’ and so the majority of comments and score are based on their feedback.

Firstly, we all loved this book. My kids are just a bit weird about giving a top score as they feel it will stop the author from writing (I don’t know why). And I’m pretty sure that’s the only reason this book didn’t get the full 5 out
Sven Robertson
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dude is ready to hit the waves, but Bro isn’t jumping in just yet because he’s immersed in a book. This doesn’t set well with Dude who defiantly states “Books are boring.” Bro is unfazed. Throughout SURF’S UP, Bro is an amphibious (and much cooler) Levar Burton teaching Dude that reading is anything but boring without even trying.

Kwame Alexander’s continues to solidify his reputation as a master storyteller in this book. The book is all dialogue between Bro and Dude with no need for a narrator’
Emmaline MacBeath
SUMMARY: The surf is up! Dude the frog goes to Bro the frog's house to get him to come surfing. But Bro is very involved with reading a book (Moby Dick). Dude can't believe Bro would rather read a book than go surfing. That is until Bro begins telling some of the exciting parts of the book. In the end, Bro makes Dude a believer that a good book is something worth taking time out for.

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations are creative and fun. On some pages the illustrations are muddy making it more di
Suzanne
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
The imagination that went into creating this wonderful picture book is amazing. Two friends on a summer day have different pursuits in mind. Dude wants to go surfing, but Bro is thoroughly engrossed in a book (Moby Dick to be precise). Dude can't understand the interst in a boring book and Bro can't be torn away from it. As Dude literally carries Bro off to the beach with his nose still buried in the book, he begins to be curious about this whale of a story. Bro keeps calling out "Wowie Kazowie! ...more
Stephanie Croaning
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, picture-books
This is a fun story about the magic of summer reading. Bro and Dude have different ideas about what makes summer fun--Dude wants Bro to join him and surf the waves, but Bro is caught up in a good book and wants to finish. Bro's enthusiasm for his book draws Dude into the story, and soon he can't wait to find out what happens either!

The illustrations by Daniel Miyares are the perfect laid back style for a surfer theme. There is a slight abstraction that reminds me somewhat of Chris Raschka's earl
Tonja Drecker
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I saw the cover on this and just had to get my hands on it (so I got a free copy in exchange for an honest review). This is a picture book for even the youngest of readers and it's oh, so cute!

The title says it all; two amphibians want to go surfing, dude! The problem is that one would rather do something totally uncool - read! *gasp* Now, there aren't many words to this. The pictures carry most of the story as it reflects what the frog is reading through flashes, while the writing is mostly sho
Melissa
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute book, with a great message. Dude and Bro are two frogs, and while Dude wants to go surfing, Bro is engrossed in his book - so uncool! But naturally, as they travel down to the beach, Bro reads out snippets and gets Dude totally immersed in the story too - until it ends and Bro won't tell him what happened! So - spoiler alert! - Bro goes out surfing, and Dude lays out on the beach reading the book :-)

As a librarian, I loved the message that reading is cool - that you can enj
Jezire C Akin
This story was cute but not my favorite. It is about two little frogs hanging out on the beach. One is interested in catching big waves and being adventurous on their beach trip while the other is using the story of a book to live out his adventure.

I think it is a great way to show that adventure can mean different things to different people and that you should give both sides a try.

There are lots of bright colorful illustrations and you easily get sucked into the story just like the young frog
Megan McGee
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley. This was a delightful and fun read. I would highly recommended this children's book. The fast-paced and fun dialogue coupled with great illustrations are perfect for introducing children to the wonders of a good book. Just open the pages and you're on an adventure with frog friends, Bro and Dude. Bro has to find out what happens in Moby Dick, and Dude's just not into reading on a perfect day for surfing, until Bro's imagination draws Du ...more
Heidi
Alexander has created a fun homage to the power of the written word. As a young frog seeks his brother's company at the beach, he gets pulled into the book his brother is reading. His imagination gets the better of him and they crash, but the youngster's enthusiasm can be felt throughout the book and the older brother gives in at the end wanting to know the whole story of Moby Dick. The language of this book makes it a great read-a-loud and an enthusiastic reinforcement of the power of a good bo ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for book lovers! Anyone who hasn't want to put down a book with enjoy sharing this adorable tale with their children. Two frogs are supposed to go surfing, but one frog cannot put his book down. The story of a man trying to catch a whale is too good to wait. While they make their way to the beach, that frog continues reading, and his comments about the story get the other frog interested in the story. So much so that he ends up reading when they get to the beach.

The drawings
Diane
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it

Bro and Dude are two frogs who have different ideas about how to have a fun day at the beach. Dude wants to surf while Bro wants to read his book (Moby Dick). Dude thinks reading is boring until Bro tells him that the book is about a man trying to find a whale and then Dude wants to know more.

Moby Dick begins to come alive on the pages through skillful illustrations. It's a book with very few words and probably not one that will be begged to be read again and again. I think it's kind of hard to
  • Let Me Finish!
  • Where Are My Books?
  • How to Read a Story
  • Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar
  • The Summer Nick Taught His Cats to Read
  • This Is Not a Picture Book!
  • Books Always Everywhere
  • The Whisper
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Duncan, the Story Dragon
  • The Wonderful Book
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including THE CROSSOVER, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more